Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Is there a rule Re: Players/Caddies not speaking English?


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 kekoa

kekoa

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1910

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:16 PM

I know this issue has been touched on before within a separate thread, but I can't locate it.   Anyhow, over the weekend, my son played in back to back SCPGA tournaments whereby caddies are not allowed nor can parents give advice to their player.   My son had two players in his group and one of the boy's Mom would talk to him in Chinese at the start and finish of every hole.   Now I have no idea if she is giving him advice or reminding him to drink water and eat food.  The kid was 9yrs old and huge so I am sure he has no problem taking care of himself.

Just curious how you would handle this issue.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 2293

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:23 PM

 kekoa, on 03 December 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

I know this issue has been touched on before within a separate thread, but I can't locate it.   Anyhow, over the weekend, my son played in back to back SCPGA tournaments whereby caddies are not allowed nor can parents give advice to their player.   My son had two players in his group and one of the boy's Mom would talk to him in Chinese at the start and finish of every hole.   Now I have no idea if she is giving him advice or reminding him to drink water and eat food.  The kid was 9yrs old and huge so I am sure he has no problem taking care of himself.

Just curious how you would handle this issue.

You look at the parent and sternly say "We are not doing this today.  If you need to talk to your child you need to do so in English.  Otherwise I am reporting you to Tournament Director for giving advice."

2

#3 leezer99

leezer99

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1008

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:36 PM

 heavy_hitter, on 03 December 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

 kekoa, on 03 December 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

I know this issue has been touched on before within a separate thread, but I can't locate it.   Anyhow, over the weekend, my son played in back to back SCPGA tournaments whereby caddies are not allowed nor can parents give advice to their player.   My son had two players in his group and one of the boy's Mom would talk to him in Chinese at the start and finish of every hole.   Now I have no idea if she is giving him advice or reminding him to drink water and eat food.  The kid was 9yrs old and huge so I am sure he has no problem taking care of himself.

Just curious how you would handle this issue.

You look at the parent and sternly say "We are not doing this today.  If you need to talk to your child you need to do so in English.  Otherwise I am reporting you to Tournament Director for giving advice."

And do it on the first instance, don't let it go on until you've gone crazy.

edit: I'll add that this only gets worse on the Players Tour.  Like they're playing for FedEx Cup points or something!

Edited by leezer99, 03 December 2018 - 04:45 PM.


3

#4 kekoa

kekoa

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1910

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:47 PM

 leezer99, on 03 December 2018 - 04:36 PM, said:

 heavy_hitter, on 03 December 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

 kekoa, on 03 December 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

I know this issue has been touched on before within a separate thread, but I can't locate it.   Anyhow, over the weekend, my son played in back to back SCPGA tournaments whereby caddies are not allowed nor can parents give advice to their player.   My son had two players in his group and one of the boy's Mom would talk to him in Chinese at the start and finish of every hole.   Now I have no idea if she is giving him advice or reminding him to drink water and eat food.  The kid was 9yrs old and huge so I am sure he has no problem taking care of himself.

Just curious how you would handle this issue.

You look at the parent and sternly say "We are not doing this today.  If you need to talk to your child you need to do so in English.  Otherwise I am reporting you to Tournament Director for giving advice."

And do it on the first instance, don't let it go on until you've gone crazy.

So I politely brought up the issue on the 3rd hole.  I'm not sure what she said, but it was a mumble.  She kept speaking to her son so I discussed the issue with a rules official on the course (hole 6).  He went over to speak to the lady and I could hear her getting very defensive and guess what- she spoke English.  

For those that play SCPGA I'm noticing that the events on the JDT level are run like circuses.  I'm hoping the Player's tour is much much better when my son turns 9.

4

#5 leezer99

leezer99

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1008

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:54 PM

 kekoa, on 03 December 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

 leezer99, on 03 December 2018 - 04:36 PM, said:

 heavy_hitter, on 03 December 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

 kekoa, on 03 December 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

I know this issue has been touched on before within a separate thread, but I can't locate it.   Anyhow, over the weekend, my son played in back to back SCPGA tournaments whereby caddies are not allowed nor can parents give advice to their player.   My son had two players in his group and one of the boy's Mom would talk to him in Chinese at the start and finish of every hole.   Now I have no idea if she is giving him advice or reminding him to drink water and eat food.  The kid was 9yrs old and huge so I am sure he has no problem taking care of himself.

Just curious how you would handle this issue.

You look at the parent and sternly say "We are not doing this today.  If you need to talk to your child you need to do so in English.  Otherwise I am reporting you to Tournament Director for giving advice."

And do it on the first instance, don't let it go on until you've gone crazy.

So I politely brought up the issue on the 3rd hole.  I'm not sure what she said, but it was a mumble.  She kept speaking to her son so I discussed the issue with a rules official on the course (hole 6).  He went over to speak to the lady and I could hear her getting very defensive and guess what- she spoke English.  

For those that play SCPGA I'm noticing that the events on the JDT level are run like circuses.  I'm hoping the Player's tour is much much better when my son turns 9.

Spoiler alert: you have the same issues in the 9-11 age bracket.  Once the kids get older they don't want parents around so it's a bit easier.

Pro Tip: Only sign up for events where spectators are NOT allowed.


5

#6 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:56 PM

Was the kid any good? Sometimes the parents give bad advice and you are better off letting them bug the kid at the end of every hole :} . I would think most kids do not want their parents nagging me trying to play golf.

I would do as Heavy says but I would still mention it to an official as well. It helps to have an official speak to them.

Edited by tiger1873, 03 December 2018 - 05:14 PM.


6

#7 sui generis

sui generis

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132389
  • Joined: 07/05/2011
  • Location:Asheville
GolfWRX Likes : 2372

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:56 PM

Those conversations are not permitted in AJGA events. However, one morning a couple of summers ago, I was in my cart in the shade on #2 at an Asheville golf course hosting a girl's championship. As Lucy Li's group passed by a woman walking on the cart path spoke sharply to Lucy in what might have been Chinese. Lucy stopped, ran back and picked up her divot and replaced it.
Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

7

#8 kekoa

kekoa

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1910

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:12 PM

 leezer99, on 03 December 2018 - 04:54 PM, said:

 kekoa, on 03 December 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

 leezer99, on 03 December 2018 - 04:36 PM, said:

 heavy_hitter, on 03 December 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

 kekoa, on 03 December 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

I know this issue has been touched on before within a separate thread, but I can't locate it.   Anyhow, over the weekend, my son played in back to back SCPGA tournaments whereby caddies are not allowed nor can parents give advice to their player.   My son had two players in his group and one of the boy's Mom would talk to him in Chinese at the start and finish of every hole.   Now I have no idea if she is giving him advice or reminding him to drink water and eat food.  The kid was 9yrs old and huge so I am sure he has no problem taking care of himself.

Just curious how you would handle this issue.

You look at the parent and sternly say "We are not doing this today.  If you need to talk to your child you need to do so in English.  Otherwise I am reporting you to Tournament Director for giving advice."

And do it on the first instance, don't let it go on until you've gone crazy.

So I politely brought up the issue on the 3rd hole.  I'm not sure what she said, but it was a mumble.  She kept speaking to her son so I discussed the issue with a rules official on the course (hole 6).  He went over to speak to the lady and I could hear her getting very defensive and guess what- she spoke English.  

For those that play SCPGA I'm noticing that the events on the JDT level are run like circuses.  I'm hoping the Player's tour is much much better when my son turns 9.

Spoiler alert: you have the same issues in the 9-11 age bracket.  Once the kids get older they don't want parents around so it's a bit easier.

Pro Tip: Only sign up for events where spectators are NOT allowed.

He did one of those events yesterday and I was floored by what my son told me one of the kids in his group was doing.  Basically making loud noises and dancing on the green while the other players were putting.  This went on even after they asked him several times to stop.  Crap like that is like getting a stroke penalty per hole.

8

#9 wildcatden

wildcatden

    China Cat Sunflower

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:The Bridges - 74.3/144
GolfWRX Likes : 627

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:31 PM

 kekoa, on 03 December 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

I know this issue has been touched on before within a separate thread, but I can't locate it.   Anyhow, over the weekend, my son played in back to back SCPGA tournaments whereby caddies are not allowed nor can parents give advice to their player.   My son had two players in his group and one of the boy's Mom would talk to him in Chinese at the start and finish of every hole.   Now I have no idea if she is giving him advice or reminding him to drink water and eat food.  The kid was 9yrs old and huge so I am sure he has no problem taking care of himself.

Just curious how you would handle this issue.

Congrats on your son's win in one tournament and 2nd place finish in the other.

9

#10 mrshinsa

mrshinsa

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476520
  • Joined: 07/26/2017
  • Location:Bay Area, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:06 PM

 kekoa, on 03 December 2018 - 05:12 PM, said:

He did one of those events yesterday and I was floored by what my son told me one of the kids in his group was doing.  Basically making loud noises and dancing on the green while the other players were putting.  This went on even after they asked him several times to stop.  Crap like that is like getting a stroke penalty per hole.

Was it the floss?  

I can't wait till that dance dies down...

Edited by mrshinsa, 03 December 2018 - 06:08 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 chrissdc

chrissdc

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80284
  • Joined: 04/16/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:59 PM

I donít think you should say anything to the parent or kid. If  you see a rules guy, maybe mention  it to them.
Let the kids handle things between themselves. Generally, the more parents are involved, more problems are created.
Telling a parent to speak English is just going to create problems.


11

#12 Mudguard

Mudguard

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114531
  • Joined: 09/08/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 349

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:18 PM

 heavy_hitter, on 03 December 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

You look at the parent and sternly say "We are not doing this today.  If you need to talk to your child you need to do so in English.  Otherwise I am reporting you to Tournament Director for giving advice."

Or you learn Chinese? Xenophobic much?

12

#13 4rheel

4rheel

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20950
  • Joined: 10/26/2006
  • Location:OC, California
GolfWRX Likes : 428

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:19 PM

I think I mentioned this before but dropped off my kid at a JDT tourney at David L. Baker where no spectators were allowed.  Left to run some errands and driving back into the parking lot noticed some parents walking all along the outside the course talking to their kid.  Hardcore.  Lol

13

#14 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 2293

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:00 PM

 Mudguard, on 07 December 2018 - 07:18 PM, said:

 heavy_hitter, on 03 December 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

You look at the parent and sternly say "We are not doing this today.  If you need to talk to your child you need to do so in English.  Otherwise I am reporting you to Tournament Director for giving advice."

Or you learn Chinese? Xenophobic much?

Nope.  Could care less what language someone speaks.  You obviously have never been on the course when this happens or have the balls to say something.  I do.  The rules are the rules and they usually clearly state no talking to the kids unless you are offering food, drink, cheering, etc.  If they are talking in a foreign language you tell them to speak English or you will report it to the rules official/committee.  I can assure you I HAVE done this and learned it along the way from other parents as my daughter went through the system.  

I must add what a coward you are to try to be a social justice warrior when you don’t know someone or what they stand for.



 chrissdc, on 07 December 2018 - 06:59 PM, said:

I don’t think you should say anything to the parent or kid. If  you see a rules guy, maybe mention  it to them.
Let the kids handle things between themselves. Generally, the more parents are involved, more problems are created.
Telling a parent to speak English is just going to create problems.

Actually, it doesn’t.

14

#15 chrissdc

chrissdc

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80284
  • Joined: 04/16/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:04 PM

 heavy_hitter, on 07 December 2018 - 08:00 PM, said:

 Mudguard, on 07 December 2018 - 07:18 PM, said:

 heavy_hitter, on 03 December 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

You look at the parent and sternly say "We are not doing this today.  If you need to talk to your child you need to do so in English.  Otherwise I am reporting you to Tournament Director for giving advice."

Or you learn Chinese? Xenophobic much?

Nope.  Could care less what language someone speaks.  You obviously have never been on the course when this happens or have the balls to say something.  I do.  The rules are the rules and they usually clearly state no talking to the kids unless you are offering food, drink, cheering, etc.  If they are talking in a foreign language you tell them to speak English or you will report it to the rules official/committee.  I can assure you I HAVE done this and learned it along the way from other parents as my daughter went through the system.  

I must add what a coward you are to try to be a social justice warrior when you donít know someone or what they stand for.



 chrissdc, on 07 December 2018 - 06:59 PM, said:

I donít think you should say anything to the parent or kid. If  you see a rules guy, maybe mention  it to them.
Let the kids handle things between themselves. Generally, the more parents are involved, more problems are created.
Telling a parent to speak English is just going to create problems.

Actually, it doesnít.


15

#16 billh17

billh17

    just happy to play

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285934
  • Joined: 11/28/2013
  • Location:southern ohio
GolfWRX Likes : 8907

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:08 PM

 heavy_hitter, on 07 December 2018 - 08:00 PM, said:

 Mudguard, on 07 December 2018 - 07:18 PM, said:

 heavy_hitter, on 03 December 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

You look at the parent and sternly say "We are not doing this today.  If you need to talk to your child you need to do so in English.  Otherwise I am reporting you to Tournament Director for giving advice."

Or you learn Chinese? Xenophobic much?

Nope.  Could care less what language someone speaks.  You obviously have never been on the course when this happens or have the balls to say something.  I do.  The rules are the rules and they usually clearly state no talking to the kids unless you are offering food, drink, cheering, etc.  If they are talking in a foreign language you tell them to speak English or you will report it to the rules official/committee.  I can assure you I HAVE done this and learned it along the way from other parents as my daughter went through the system.  

I must add what a coward you are to try to be a social justice warrior when you don’t know someone or what they stand for.



 chrissdc, on 07 December 2018 - 06:59 PM, said:

I don’t think you should say anything to the parent or kid. If  you see a rules guy, maybe mention  it to them.
Let the kids handle things between themselves. Generally, the more parents are involved, more problems are created.
Telling a parent to speak English is just going to create problems.

Actually, it doesn’t.
and you do not know him,or what he stands for,but you can call him a coward..Sorta giving up that high hill you think you're standing on.
Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

16

#17 chrissdc

chrissdc

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80284
  • Joined: 04/16/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:10 PM

Crazy replies, it has nothing about having balls. It actually takes balls to let the kids handle things themselves and not be the golf cop. Too many parents trying to be golf law enforcement.
I donít bellive you are xenophobic, but this English only confrontation you suggest sounds very Bivens(ish)

17

#18 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:55 PM

 chrissdc, on 07 December 2018 - 08:10 PM, said:

Crazy replies, it has nothing about having balls. It actually takes balls to let the kids handle things themselves and not be the golf cop. Too many parents trying to be golf law enforcement.
I donít bellive you are xenophobic, but this English only confrontation you suggest sounds very Bivens(ish)

I am fine with letting the kids work it out and it how it should be be but I have seen these type of parents and it not just about what language they speak because there all the same. Some these parents are Americans too.

If there is no caddy allowed then It means your not suppose to give them advice. If you every done a tournament like this it can agonizing to see your kid make stupid mistakes that if you said something it would snap them out it.  Learning is hard and painful so you learn to deal with it. If you let them get away with advice there going to have a huge advantage and score lower then they should.

Not only that these same parents have total disregard for rules and yes they do drop balls and kick you kids into the rough. I seen and heard this happen more then once.

Again most parents are fine but that doesnít mean you roll over and let them push you and your kid around.  Speaking a language everyone else does not know when they speak English very well is a problem .

If your a spectator  Give the kid water and food and make sure they have course etiquette and remind them about playing fast and everyone is happy.

Edited by tiger1873, 07 December 2018 - 09:04 PM.


18

#19 chrissdc

chrissdc

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80284
  • Joined: 04/16/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:59 PM

 tiger1873, on 07 December 2018 - 08:55 PM, said:

 chrissdc, on 07 December 2018 - 08:10 PM, said:

Crazy replies, it has nothing about having balls. It actually takes balls to let the kids handle things themselves and not be the golf cop. Too many parents trying to be golf law enforcement.
I donít bellive you are xenophobic, but this English only confrontation you suggest sounds very Bivens(ish)

I am fine with letting the kids work it out and it how it should be be but I have seen these type of parents and it not just about what language they speak because there all the same.

If there is no caddy allowed the. It means your not suppose to give them advice. If you every done a tournament like this it can agonizing to see your kid make stupid mistakes that if you said something it would snap them out it.  Learning is hard and painful so you deal with it. If you let them get away with advice there going to have a huge advantage and score lower then they should.

Not only that these same parents have total disregard for rules and yes they do drop balls and kick you kids into the rough. I seen and heard this happen more then once.

Again most parents are fine but that doesnít mean you roll over and let them push you and you kid around.  Not speaking language everyone else knows when they speak English very well is a problem .

If you a spectator  Give the kid water and food and make sure they have course etiquette and remind them about playing fast and everyone is happy.


19

#20 Mudguard

Mudguard

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114531
  • Joined: 09/08/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 349

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:08 PM

 heavy_hitter, on 07 December 2018 - 08:00 PM, said:

Could care less what language someone speaks.  You obviously have never been on the course when this happens or have the balls to say something.  I do.  The rules are the rules and they usually clearly state no talking to the kids unless you are offering food, drink, cheering, etc.  If they are talking in a foreign language you tell them to speak English or you will report it to the rules official/committee.
What if mum/dad doesn't speak English? Obviously you do care, as you don't speak Chinese how do you know they weren't offering food, drink or cheering? Would you have your child play a tournament in France and expect to only communicate in French?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:14 PM

 Mudguard, on 07 December 2018 - 09:08 PM, said:

 heavy_hitter, on 07 December 2018 - 08:00 PM, said:

Could care less what language someone speaks.  You obviously have never been on the course when this happens or have the balls to say something.  I do.  The rules are the rules and they usually clearly state no talking to the kids unless you are offering food, drink, cheering, etc.  If they are talking in a foreign language you tell them to speak English or you will report it to the rules official/committee.
What if mum/dad doesn't speak English? Obviously you do care, as you don't speak Chinese how do you know they weren't offering food, drink or cheering? Would you have your child play a tournament in France and expect to only communicate in French?

You say very little and keep a distance from the group. Offering a water bottle or snakcks is pretty obvious. When it is hot outside usually all the parents are concerned about all the kids and make sure they all drink water.

I donít think you ever done a tournament with no caddies or been in the situation you are talking about.  Talking to kids is big no no in some tournaments . Some events you not even allowed to rake bunkers, help fill in divots or get within 50 yards. I usually prefer those tournaments  as they are usually better run.

Edited by tiger1873, 07 December 2018 - 09:21 PM.


21

#22 marker10

marker10

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450638
  • Joined: 01/04/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:37 PM

 Mudguard, on 07 December 2018 - 09:08 PM, said:

 heavy_hitter, on 07 December 2018 - 08:00 PM, said:

Could care less what language someone speaks.  You obviously have never been on the course when this happens or have the balls to say something.  I do.  The rules are the rules and they usually clearly state no talking to the kids unless you are offering food, drink, cheering, etc.  If they are talking in a foreign language you tell them to speak English or you will report it to the rules official/committee.
What if mum/dad doesn't speak English? Obviously you do care, as you don't speak Chinese how do you know they weren't offering food, drink or cheering? Would you have your child play a tournament in France and expect to only communicate in French?
If the tournament rule says no caddies, then the parent should just stay quiet and not say anything.  If you need to give your kid food or water, you just hand it to them without saying a word.  If your kid hits a nice shot, you just clap.  Bottom line is you just don’t want to give the impression that you’re coaching so don’t say a word.  I’ve seen parent giving hand signals from 50 yards away...pretty ridiculous.

22

#23 leezer99

leezer99

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1008

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:38 PM

 Mudguard, on 07 December 2018 - 07:18 PM, said:

 heavy_hitter, on 03 December 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

You look at the parent and sternly say "We are not doing this today.  If you need to talk to your child you need to do so in English.  Otherwise I am reporting you to Tournament Director for giving advice."

Or you learn Chinese? Xenophobic much?

Let me know when Slugger White takes the time to learn the languages of all the players on tour and I'll consider your point more than just a bull s*** response to a serious question.

23

#24 Mudguard

Mudguard

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114531
  • Joined: 09/08/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 349

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:59 PM

 leezer99, on 07 December 2018 - 09:38 PM, said:

Let me know when Slugger White takes the time to learn the languages of all the players on tour and I'll consider your point more than just a bull s*** response to a serious question.

Doesn't excuse the fact that suggesting that someone who may not speak English as a first language, to only speak English, is boorish and racist.

24

#25 tatertot

tatertot

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87030
  • Joined: 06/29/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 3702

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:28 PM

These are 8 and 9 year old kids, right?

GET A LIFE!

Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"

25

#26 BertGA

BertGA

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500442
  • Joined: 04/29/2018
  • Location:Georgia
GolfWRX Likes : 234

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:35 PM

 tatertot, on 07 December 2018 - 10:28 PM, said:

These are 8 and 9 year old kids, right?

GET A LIFE!

Splitting hairs here, but these rules apply to older junior tournaments. The 8-10 year olds tend to need caddies, so talking and advice is allowed.

Most of us are on here to get/give advice on navigating the world of junior golf. By choice. Not sure the old “get a life” rip is effective when we are all choosing to visit this thread, including you. Your life apparently has enough extra space in it to tell us how to live ours.

26

#27 1t2golf

1t2golf

    Major Winner

  • Marshals
  • 2,393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6243
  • Joined: 09/26/2005

Posted Yesterday, 08:46 AM

Topic veering off course.

We're done here. Do not submit any further reports.
Sic omnia fatis In peius ruere ac retro sublapsa referri...semper ubi sub ubi

27



1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors