Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

CPO sent the wrong putter!


  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Mikey5e

Mikey5e

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494264
  • Joined: 02/21/2018
  • Location:ohio
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 02 December 2018 - 01:16 AM

I ordered a Odyssey works black #1 putter from Callaway pre-owned and received an odyssey o-works putter in its place. The Works putter has the screen mesh attached to the face giving it a nice crisp feel when striking the ball. The O Works putter is a bit more expensive because it has adjustable weights, but doesn't have quite the crisp response when putting the ball. I have been testing it out at home on my indoor putting green and it seems to be adequate in feedback but I can't tell for sure until I get outside on the course. That's rather difficult now because it's winter time. Just wondering what opinions others might have with the O works putter face who enjoy a firmer putter face. Is it firm enough for you?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Meanmachinemoe

Meanmachinemoe

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15279
  • Joined: 06/05/2006
  • Location:Texas
  • Ebay ID:mohler1
GolfWRX Likes : 171

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:29 PM

To me, O-works is cotton ball soft. I love soft but if struck in the sweet spot is too soft. It's like I cant even feel it. To me the White Hot Pro is the best of both worlds.
Taylormade 2017 M1 460 10.5* Fujikura Pro XLR8 56
Ping G400 17* Alta CB 70
Ping i25 19* PWR 80
Ping G400 4-UW,SW AWT 2.0
Titleist Vokey Design SM6 58.12K
Odyssey O-Works Black 7s
GHIN 8.0

2

#3 Mikey5e

Mikey5e

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494264
  • Joined: 02/21/2018
  • Location:ohio
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for responding, I appreciate your Insight on this putter face. I was a little disappointed nobody responded to help me out. I like a firm putter face for maximum feedback and also like the white hot putter face. The o-works is sort of in the middle somewhere between the white hot and say the RX putter face. I had an RX putter at one point in time but got rid of it right away because I really couldn't stand it. I wanted other opinions of the o-works to see how they adapted to that particular putter face to help me make a decision.
ty

3

#4 SwingMan

SwingMan

    SwingMan

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,693 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2726
  • Joined: 07/15/2005
  • Location:DFW Texas
  • Handicap:9.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1288

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:47 PM

The O Works face - or microhinge - is  like a lot of tiny metal pixels that I believed are designed to promote roll... need to look that up.

I bought a couple - one for my son - the Jailbird Mini S, and the 7S - everyone's perception is different - it's not that soft - I just rolled it on the carpet and then rolled a carbon steel putter - the O Works is slightly firmer than carbon steel - most people love something close to carbon steel.
"My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H-5H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/PX LZ Tour 90 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●DF Reno

4

#5 Aucaveman

Aucaveman

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467540
  • Joined: 05/14/2017
  • Location:Georgia
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:53 PM

View PostMikey5e, on 03 December 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

Thanks for responding, I appreciate your Insight on this putter face. I was a little disappointed nobody responded to help me out. I like a firm putter face for maximum feedback and also like the white hot putter face. The o-works is sort of in the middle somewhere between the white hot and say the RX putter face. I had an RX putter at one point in time but got rid of it right away because I really couldn't stand it. I wanted other opinions of the o-works to see how they adapted to that particular putter face to help me make a decision.
ty

This was my experience and just my opinion.
I was using a works tank marxman fang, (the one with the mesh face). The mesh started peeling off so they replaced it with a o-works tank 7. I hated the feel immediately. I told my friend the day I swapped it in pgass, that I didn't like it, but figured I'd adjust to it. A month later I still hated it. Off center hits were drastically short and offline. I thought it could've been the #7 shape I didn't like, but It was like hitting an old stx putter if you're familiar with those. Read rave reviews about the pings with the true roll grooves. I purchased a tyne sigma (same shape as the #7). After a few "tests", I haven't looked back. I have the o-works tank 7 for sale.


5

#6 Mikey5e

Mikey5e

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494264
  • Joined: 02/21/2018
  • Location:ohio
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:56 PM

View PostAucaveman, on 03 December 2018 - 03:53 PM, said:

View PostMikey5e, on 03 December 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

Thanks for responding, I appreciate your Insight on this putter face. I was a little disappointed nobody responded to help me out. I like a firm putter face for maximum feedback and also like the white hot putter face. The o-works is sort of in the middle somewhere between the white hot and say the RX putter face. I had an RX putter at one point in time but got rid of it right away because I really couldn't stand it. I wanted other opinions of the o-works to see how they adapted to that particular putter face to help me make a decision.
ty

This was my experience and just my opinion.
I was using a works tank marxman fang, (the one with the mesh face). The mesh started peeling off so they replaced it with a o-works tank 7. I hated the feel immediately. I told my friend the day I swapped it in pgass, that I didn't like it, but figured I'd adjust to it. A month later I still hated it. Off center hits were drastically short and offline. I thought it could've been the #7 shape I didn't like, but It was like hitting an old stx putter if you're familiar with those. Read rave reviews about the pings with the true roll grooves. I purchased a tyne sigma (same shape as the #7). After a few "tests", I haven't looked back. I have the o-works tank 7 for sale.
Thank you as well for the informative post, something I think I would feel if I kept the putter. Like I mentioned, I had an RX Fang putter, that I was debating whether I would be able to adapt to it or not. I purchased it anyway and it only took me one outing to realize this would never work for me. I now fear the micro hinge would fall into that same category. Since Callaway was the one who was at fault by sending me the wrong putter I called them today and got a UPS return label and I am going to ship it back. The only putter face that Odyssey has made recently that I like is the stainless steel mesh face that has a history of popping off. As I speak, I have a big T V line stainless steel mesh putter that I really love, and haven't had a problem with it. I just want to try out a blade putter with a firm face and it looks like Odyssey is not the way to go. It seems to me now these days many putter manufacturers are going for too soft of a putter face and not giving enough respect for the need for putting feedback. Personally, I wonder what the strokes gained are that can be directly contributed to putters like The Odyssey micro hinged faces and others similar? I don't believe it could ever be figured out, but I really don't think the benefit is as much as many would hope it would be.

6

#7 Rory4Pres

Rory4Pres

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 363997
  • Joined: 02/25/2015
  • Location:Kansas City
  • Handicap:high
GolfWRX Likes : 470

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:17 PM

View PostMikey5e, on 02 December 2018 - 01:16 AM, said:

I ordered a Odyssey works black #1 putter from Callaway pre-owned and received an odyssey o-works putter in its place. The Works putter has the screen mesh attached to the face giving it a nice crisp feel when striking the ball. The O Works putter is a bit more expensive because it has adjustable weights, but doesn't have quite the crisp response when putting the ball. I have been testing it out at home on my indoor putting green and it seems to be adequate in feedback but I can't tell for sure until I get outside on the course. That's rather difficult now because it's winter time. Just wondering what opinions others might have with the O works putter face who enjoy a firmer putter face. Is it firm enough for you?

The o-works is way too soft for my preference.  I had a couple odyssey putters with the steel mesh face and although I liked the face, I hated how often sand or dirty would get stuck in the holes of the face.  Pretty much any morning where there was dew on the ground and you putted, the sand would automatically stick on the putter and get in the holes on the face.  Had a couple terrible putts due to this.  Got to the point I had to brush clean it after every use.  That didn't last long, sold it.

7

#8 SwingMan

SwingMan

    SwingMan

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,693 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2726
  • Joined: 07/15/2005
  • Location:DFW Texas
  • Handicap:9.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1288

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:59 PM

Too soft? What ball are you using - sound/feel is dependent upon many things, including the ball. People may have a problem with the microhinge, also, because the O Works putters tend to be a little smallish in size.

You may like the EXO series of putters a bit more - it is white hot and mini-pixls combined - different feel than microhinge and a bigger face.
"My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H-5H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/PX LZ Tour 90 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●DF Reno

8

#9 MCCA

MCCA

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2694
  • Joined: 07/14/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 126

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:21 PM

I just had a situation with CPO, won't do a write-up until i see if they deliver.

9

#10 Meanmachinemoe

Meanmachinemoe

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15279
  • Joined: 06/05/2006
  • Location:Texas
  • Ebay ID:mohler1
GolfWRX Likes : 171

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:43 PM

I'm using a Callaway Chrome Soft. Certainly feel is in the hands of the user but I think it's pretty much the consensus that O-Works is softer than White Hot Pro. I think using that assumption to begin is a good place to start.

Taylormade 2017 M1 460 10.5* Fujikura Pro XLR8 56
Ping G400 17* Alta CB 70
Ping i25 19* PWR 80
Ping G400 4-UW,SW AWT 2.0
Titleist Vokey Design SM6 58.12K
Odyssey O-Works Black 7s
GHIN 8.0

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Lefty96

Lefty96

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 512204
  • Joined: 09/10/2018
  • Location:wisconsin
  • Handicap:9.4
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:04 PM

I recently bought an O-Works #9 and I personally like the feel. I didn't get to play many rounds with it before winter came but I made a lot of putts. I don't have any problem judging distance control. Take it to a putting green and putt for a while. Feel is a very subjective thing so if you really hate it after giving it a fair shot you can sell it and buy the putter you want.
Callaway Rogue Subzero 9*/Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
XR 16 15* 3w/fukijura 565 Stiff
Adams Red 18*/Matrix altus Stiff
4-PW 718 AP3/AMT tour white Stiff
50* cleveland RTX 2.0 (10* bounce)
56* cleveland RTX 2.0 (12* bounce)
60* cleveland RTX 2.0 (6* bounce)
Odyssey O-Works #9 with Garsen Ultimate grip

11

#12 tatertot

tatertot

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87030
  • Joined: 06/29/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 3702

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:16 PM

What did Callaway say when you contacted them?
Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"

12

#13 AThompson_3

AThompson_3

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395356
  • Joined: 09/09/2015
  • Location:Northern Kentucky
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 541

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:50 PM

O works seem to be pretty divisive. Personally I think itís the softest putter face Iíve ever rolled besides the RX. Both the O Works and RX were too soft if struck perfect IMO.
Driver: Callaway Epic SZ 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6X
3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15* Diamana D+ 70X
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2 19* Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Black 9X
Irons: Mizuno MP-25 4-P DGTI X100
Wedges: Vokey SM7 50F, 55S, 60M Project X 6.5
Putter(s): Odyssey O Works 7s Black, Bettinardi BB1F
Ball: Titleist Pro V1
Bag: Sun Mountain Four-5

13

#14 Mikey5e

Mikey5e

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494264
  • Joined: 02/21/2018
  • Location:ohio
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:43 AM

View Posttatertot, on 05 December 2018 - 03:16 PM, said:

What did Callaway say when you contacted them?
without hesitation they apologized and sent me a return shipping label. The only hitch in the entire matter is it will take up to two weeks to get my money back due to the way things are processed back into stock at CPO. I just don't care too much for soft face putters so I will probably stick with milled face Putters or inserts that are made of aluminum or similar to the white hot face.

14

#15 Double Gee

Double Gee

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31137
  • Joined: 06/08/2007
  • Location:Watford UK
GolfWRX Likes : 239

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:50 AM

I went for a putter fitting and to try various putters.
The one with the metal mesh on the face felt a little firmer but.. a big but, was every few putts the face suddenly made the ball travel a few feet further with the exact same swingspeed.
It certainly didn't like my swing and to have a putter became 'hotter' for no apparent reason is not a good thing.


15

#16 Mikey5e

Mikey5e

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494264
  • Joined: 02/21/2018
  • Location:ohio
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:33 AM

View PostDouble Gee, on 06 December 2018 - 09:50 AM, said:

I went for a putter fitting and to try various putters.
The one with the metal mesh on the face felt a little firmer but.. a big but, was every few putts the face suddenly made the ball travel a few feet further with the exact same swingspeed.
It certainly didn't like my swing and to have a putter became 'hotter' for no apparent reason is not a good thing.
I have a Odyssey Big T V-line putter with the screen mesh face that I really like. To each their own. That face does have a history of coming off, although. A question I have is 'how much are these exotic faces making reduction of strokes'?

16

#17 tatertot

tatertot

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87030
  • Joined: 06/29/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 3702

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:01 PM

View PostMikey5e, on 06 December 2018 - 09:43 AM, said:

View Posttatertot, on 05 December 2018 - 03:16 PM, said:

What did Callaway say when you contacted them?
without hesitation they apologized and sent me a return shipping label. The only hitch in the entire matter is it will take up to two weeks to get my money back due to the way things are processed back into stock at CPO. I just don't care too much for soft face putters so I will probably stick with milled face Putters or inserts that are made of aluminum or similar to the white hot face.

They're usually pretty good to work with.
Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"

17

#18 CStephenson17

CStephenson17

    Advanced

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 429 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 309253
  • Joined: 04/17/2014
  • Location:Oklahoma
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 268

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:09 PM

I had a o works 1ws and loved the look but I had a lot of speed issues with it. It seemed when I struck the middle of the face I just hit a marshmallow and the ball died. I had the same problem with the deep milled studio select line from Scotty. Just felt like I had to smash it to get it to go anywhere

18

#19 leftyDH04

leftyDH04

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 514716
  • Joined: 10/19/2018
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:14 PM

Soft ball and a deep milled face or soft insert is tough on feel.  You almost have to use a clicky ball with a soft insert.

19

#20 Mikey5e

Mikey5e

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494264
  • Joined: 02/21/2018
  • Location:ohio
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:43 PM

You know I hear a lot of people praising the white- hot putter face, and I also like it very well. Great feedback from technology that's been around for years.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 11,958 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 8195

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:49 PM

I really like the O works micro hinge face. I really like a soft face and I find it just a touch firmer than I like. But I do like the way the ball comes off so I can live with wishing for a little softer feel.

Typically play a Snell Red or an older TM tour preferred ball.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

21

#22 dommer

dommer

    Member

  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 515168
  • Joined: 10/26/2018
  • Location:Illinois
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:09 PM

Always nice when a company upgrades ya!
Driver: Taylormade M4 7* / EvenFlow Black 65 6.0
Fairway: Callaway Epic 14* / Nippon 950 FW X
3 Iron: Callaway X-Forged UT 21* / Constant CPM
5-PW: Mizuno MP18 / Constant CPM
48, 54: Wilson FG Tour PMP / Constant CPM
60, 66: Callaway MD PM / Constant CPM
Putter: Swag Handsome One "Tour Proto"
Ball: TP5X

22

#23 Mikey5e

Mikey5e

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494264
  • Joined: 02/21/2018
  • Location:ohio
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:32 PM

 deadsolid...shank, on 06 December 2018 - 12:49 PM, said:

I really like the O works micro hinge face. I really like a soft face and I find it just a touch firmer than I like. But I do like the way the ball comes off so I can live with wishing for a little softer feel.

Typically play a Snell Red or an older TM tour preferred ball.
I find it interesting how people's taste in putter faces are different. Question, have you tried the Odyssey RX putter face? That is even softer than the o works.

23



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors