Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Your Golf Lesson...

42 replies to this topic

#31 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:22 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 03 December 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

View Posttiger1873, on 03 December 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

View PostNoles, on 03 December 2018 - 11:24 AM, said:

View Posttiger1873, on 03 December 2018 - 10:48 AM, said:

View PostNoles, on 03 December 2018 - 09:02 AM, said:

Not everybody can comprehend what they are reading and others make huge assumptions that what they experience is the same everywhere else.

Assumptions based on what? High School golf is generally speaking for kids who are just starting out in golf.  I am also talking about public high school golf not elite private schools that have coaches like Claude Harmon in them which is what I believe the case is with one school. That is not the norm.  

If you want find a coach that teaches juniors play tournaments keep you eyes out for kids that are winning and then find out who coaches them. With the internet it not really hard to find out if the parents don't mention it to you.

We all been in the same situation as Marker and the answer is find a coach and at the same time hopefully you can be the extra eye that can see things that costs strokes so you can work on fixing it. If that is done scores will drop.  I am sorry but sometimes people read into things too much. Also on GolfWRX things tend to bounce off peoples heads a lot.  It's why people keep thinking High School coaches actually have advice for someone who wants to improve their score.
The bolded is a perfect example.  That may be true where you are, but that could not be further from the truth where I live.  So you make this statement as if it is fact, which is a clear assumption that is not at all true or accurate.

From what I been told and seen from every person including going to local  seminars  about college recruiting is High School golf scores is irrelevant for scores when they recruit.

You are correct.  They could care less about the scores.  That doesn't mean they shouldn't play.  At the FHSAA tournament there are more college coaches there than any other tournament the rest of the year.  Did you hear what I said?  There are more coaches there than any AJGA, FJT, SFPGA event.  They will talk to high school coaches to see if they work well with others.  Golf in high school and College are team sports.  Do you need to play high school golf to play in college?  No you don't.  Is it something that is really fun for the kids?  Yes it is.  Is golf supposed to fun?  Yes it is.  High school sports provide an amazing experience for kids whether the program is good or bad.  Nothing like trying to win a high school state championship with your friends at school.  I have been to and have experienced a lot of cool things in Golf.  Here is how I rank my Experiences with my daughter.

1.  USGA Girl's Junior
2.  High School State Championship 4 years in a row.  (And these don't even count towards JGS rankings.)  It is fun because everyone in the community and at school is talking about it.  
3.  AJGA Tournaments
4.  FJT Tournaments
5.  SFPGA Tournaments
6.  Hurricane Junior Tournaments

I am agreement with you the choice on choosing to play or not to play I have heard pro's and cons and lot that depends on the school you're attending and if the friends are actually willing to play golf.  That is another topic our local school practices on our course and they had zero chance of advancing.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2293

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:33 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 03 December 2018 - 12:22 PM, said:

I am agreement with you the choice on choosing to play or not to play I have heard pro's and cons and lot that depends on the school you're attending and if the friends are actually willing to play golf.  That is another topic our local school practices on our course and they had zero chance of advancing.

Your kid will still have a chance to advance as an individual.  Honestly, girl's high school golf is a joke because the golf played is terrible unless you are playing 1 and sometimes 2 on the team.  There is no other way to put it.  However, it is competition and it is free.  If the coach is half way decent you will at least have structured practices.  If not, you still have things you can work at on your own.  We always looked at high school season as practice because nothing counts and there is nothing wrong with nothing counting.  You get to play different course and it is ALL FREE to practice on.  To boot you get added competition when practicing.  Nothing like working on high fades or other types of shots to get used to playing that shot in competition without it really counting.

#33 wlm

wlm

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102822
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:22 PM

There are a few pretty good coaches at the big public schools in Texas, and some pretty good players who play on those teams.

#34 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:42 PM

View Postwlm, on 03 December 2018 - 01:22 PM, said:

There are a few pretty good coaches at the big public schools in Texas, and some pretty good players who play on those teams.

There are in Florida as well.  We have a PGA Professional that is our coach.  His assistant is the director of Instruction at a facility that has hosted USGA Championships.  Our high school girl's team has a PGA professional as well.

This is the exception, not the rule when it comes to high school golf.

#35 Rohlio

Rohlio

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69345
GolfWRX Likes : 364

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:35 PM

My public high school 25 years ago...if you couldn't break 80 you couldn't make the team... Was the same throughout the district.

Hardly beginners. Again not the best, but hey we did have somebody from our team go on scholarship to UCLA and a bunch go play D2... I assure you that our coach knew who our pro was.

Sure your mileage may vary in terms of coach quality, hell it may just be janitor Steve driving the bus. But to just dismiss it out of hand is foolish in my opinion as it is likely a very simple question and if they don't have an answer no big deal.

#36 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:42 PM

View PostRohlio, on 03 December 2018 - 08:35 PM, said:

My public high school 25 years ago...if you couldn't break 80 you couldn't make the team... Was the same throughout the district.

Hardly beginners. Again not the best, but hey we did have somebody from our team go on scholarship to UCLA and a bunch go play D2... I assure you that our coach knew who our pro was.

Sure your mileage may vary in terms of coach quality, hell it may just be janitor Steve driving the bus. But to just dismiss it out of hand is foolish in my opinion as it is likely a very simple question and if they don't have an answer no big deal.

This is the exception, not the rule.

I am fortunate that my kids went through and will go through good programs.  My job allows me to see how athletic programs operate.  I am in and out of high schools in Florida on a daily basis from Central to South Florida.  Most of the coaches in high school are paid babysitters that do it for free golf for themselves.

#37 Rohlio

Rohlio

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69345
GolfWRX Likes : 364

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:41 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 03 December 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

I am fortunate that my kids went through and will go through good programs.  My job allows me to see how athletic programs operate.  I am in and out of high schools in Florida on a daily basis from Central to South Florida.  Most of the coaches in high school are paid babysitters that do it for free golf for themselves.

My anecdote versus your anecdote is not a convincing argument. Okay I get it where you are in Florida it is the way you say... Where I grew up it was different. Who is right? Neither of us and both of us.

Edited by Rohlio, 03 December 2018 - 09:41 PM.

#38 wlm

wlm

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102822
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:26 PM

I donít disagree that it is the exception rather than the rule, and my experience is limited to Texas. But we have quite a few programs, including my sonís, that have good coaching and plenty of D1 talent.

#39 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:37 AM

View Postwlm, on 03 December 2018 - 10:26 PM, said:

But we have quite a few programs, including my sonís, that have good coaching and plenty of D1 talent.

Getting back to topic the problem is  I never met anyone who doesít love their coach/instructor and there lies the issue when seeking advice about a coach.

It is sort like congress everyone loves your congressman but hates everyone elseís.

#40 leezer99

leezer99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 1008

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:51 AM

View PostRohlio, on 03 December 2018 - 09:41 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 03 December 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

My anecdote versus your anecdote is not a convincing argument. Okay I get it where you are in Florida it is the way you say... Where I grew up it was different. Who is right? Neither of us and both of us.

Schrödinger's cat

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 darter79

darter79

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 367

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:01 AM

View Postwlm, on 03 December 2018 - 10:26 PM, said:

I don't disagree that it is the exception rather than the rule, and my experience is limited to Texas. But we have quite a few programs, including my son's, that have good coaching and plenty of D1 talent.

I know a HS here is the austin area that produces d1 after d1 after d1 it seems like. But that is in a very wealthy part of town with a ton of country clubs and elite instructors. But I also seen the one in my town where my 8 year old daughter could beat 1/2 that team.

#42 GolfSRQ

GolfSRQ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 513876
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:44 AM

The coach of my sons high school team explained it well to the kids trying out, he said you already need to know how to play golf to play in high school.   Fortunately for us and our son the team is a good team that is well funded and has a swing coach as an assistant.

#43 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:13 PM

View PostGolfSRQ, on 04 December 2018 - 10:44 AM, said:

The coach of my sons high school team explained it well to the kids trying out, he said you already need to know how to play golf to play in high school.   Fortunately for us and our son the team is a good team that is well funded and has a swing coach as an assistant.

We as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors