Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 1 votes

Did you see that!?


38 replies to this topic

#31 Vindog

Vindog

    Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
  • Joined: 06/29/2011
  • Location:Maine, the final frontier
GolfWRX Likes : 7271

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:04 AM

View PostPorker, on 03 December 2018 - 04:43 AM, said:

GGeneral area is a new term that replaced  'through the green' down here in Australia, this area covers everything except tee, bunkers,penalty area and green. Assuming it's the same in the US? So waste areas would fall under penalty areas? And would the same relief procedures apply?

Yes it's the same for US, but no... waste bunkers would be in the general area, so the restrictions for penalty areas would not apply.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 Vindog

Vindog

    Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
  • Joined: 06/29/2011
  • Location:Maine, the final frontier
GolfWRX Likes : 7271

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:26 AM

I guess I could add that in 2019 a committee could, if they so chose, to designate a waste area as a "penalty area" under the expanded definition of that term.
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

2

#33 davep043

davep043

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Joined: 12/20/2017
  • Location:Reston, VA, and Southern Pines, NC
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1851

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:07 AM

View PostVindog, on 02 December 2018 - 09:01 AM, said:

View Postsoregongolfer, on 02 December 2018 - 04:11 AM, said:

View PostKrt22, on 02 December 2018 - 12:32 AM, said:



Nope. You can now ground your club in a water hazard, you can inadvertently touch the sand and remove loose impediments in a bunker, but you still can't ground your club in a bunker

2019 Rule: Under Rule 17:
  • There will no longer be any special restrictions when a ball is in a “penalty area” (the expanded designation for the area that includes what are now called water hazards).
  • A player will be allowed to touch or move loose impediments and touch the ground with hand or club (such as grounding the club right behind the ball) for any reason, subject only to the prohibition on improving conditions for the stroke (see new Rule 8.1a).
Also, I'm pretty sure touching even one grain of sand is considered "grounding" the club under the old rules.  That's what I was getting at initally, but it appears setting up with your club in the sand is okay under the new rules.  That I did not know.


I don't think those are accurate.  Here is new rule:



b. Restrictions on Touching Sand in Bunker

stroke at a ball in a bunker, a player must not:
  • Deliberately touch sand in the bunker with a hand, club, rake or other object to test the condition of the sand to learn information for the next stroke, or
  • Touch sand in the bunker with a club:


Red results in penalty.
For @soregongolfer, you quoted some comments regarding Rule 17, which is for Penalty Areas.  There's a separate rule (Rule 12) for bunkers, which is what @vindog quoted.

3

#34 Krt22

Krt22

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,951 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261822
  • Joined: 07/05/2013
  • Location:East Bay
GolfWRX Likes : 2860

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:28 PM

View Postdavep043, on 03 December 2018 - 10:07 AM, said:

View PostVindog, on 02 December 2018 - 09:01 AM, said:

View Postsoregongolfer, on 02 December 2018 - 04:11 AM, said:

View PostKrt22, on 02 December 2018 - 12:32 AM, said:

Nope. You can now ground your club in a water hazard, you can inadvertently touch the sand and remove loose impediments in a bunker, but you still can't ground your club in a bunker

2019 Rule: Under Rule 17:
  • There will no longer be any special restrictions when a ball is in a “penalty area” (the expanded designation for the area that includes what are now called water hazards).
  • A player will be allowed to touch or move loose impediments and touch the ground with hand or club (such as grounding the club right behind the ball) for any reason, subject only to the prohibition on improving conditions for the stroke (see new Rule 8.1a).
Also, I'm pretty sure touching even one grain of sand is considered "grounding" the club under the old rules.  That's what I was getting at initally, but it appears setting up with your club in the sand is okay under the new rules.  That I did not know.


I don't think those are accurate.  Here is new rule:



b. Restrictions on Touching Sand in Bunker

stroke at a ball in a bunker, a player must not:
  • Deliberately touch sand in the bunker with a hand, club, rake or other object to test the condition of the sand to learn information for the next stroke, or
  • Touch sand in the bunker with a club:


Red results in penalty.
For @soregongolfer, you quoted some comments regarding Rule 17, which is for Penalty Areas.  There's a separate rule (Rule 12) for bunkers, which is what @vindog quoted.


Bingo, I was just going to say the same thing. Bunker's are not penalty areas. Penalty areas are what lateral/water hazards were reclassified as.

4

#35 soregongolfer

soregongolfer

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97841
  • Joined: 11/03/2009
  • Location:Roseburg, OR
GolfWRX Likes : 784

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:53 AM

View Postdavep043, on 03 December 2018 - 10:07 AM, said:

View PostVindog, on 02 December 2018 - 09:01 AM, said:

View Postsoregongolfer, on 02 December 2018 - 04:11 AM, said:

View PostKrt22, on 02 December 2018 - 12:32 AM, said:

Nope. You can now ground your club in a water hazard, you can inadvertently touch the sand and remove loose impediments in a bunker, but you still can't ground your club in a bunker

2019 Rule: Under Rule 17:
  • There will no longer be any special restrictions when a ball is in a “penalty area” (the expanded designation for the area that includes what are now called water hazards).
  • A player will be allowed to touch or move loose impediments and touch the ground with hand or club (such as grounding the club right behind the ball) for any reason, subject only to the prohibition on improving conditions for the stroke (see new Rule 8.1a).
Also, I'm pretty sure touching even one grain of sand is considered "grounding" the club under the old rules.  That's what I was getting at initally, but it appears setting up with your club in the sand is okay under the new rules.  That I did not know.


I don't think those are accurate.  Here is new rule:



b. Restrictions on Touching Sand in Bunker

stroke at a ball in a bunker, a player must not:
  • Deliberately touch sand in the bunker with a hand, club, rake or other object to test the condition of the sand to learn information for the next stroke, or
  • Touch sand in the bunker with a club:


Red results in penalty.
For @soregongolfer, you quoted some comments regarding Rule 17, which is for Penalty Areas.  There's a separate rule (Rule 12) for bunkers, which is what @vindog quoted.
Aha.  That makes sense.  Thanks!


5

#36 Porker

Porker

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467048
  • Joined: 05/10/2017
  • Location:South Australia
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:22 AM

View PostVindog, on 03 December 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

I guess I could add that in 2019 a committee could, if they so chose, to designate a waste area as a "penalty area" under the expanded definition of that term.
Yeh, but they Better make sure it’s clean! The boys will be grumpy if it’s full of crap

6

#37 Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56190
  • Joined: 05/20/2008
  • Location:Miami, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 1032

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:09 AM

With only two pages I knew it couldn't be Bernhard Langer

7

#38 Vindog

Vindog

    Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
  • Joined: 06/29/2011
  • Location:Maine, the final frontier
GolfWRX Likes : 7271

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:07 AM

View PostPorker, on 05 December 2018 - 12:22 AM, said:

View PostVindog, on 03 December 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

I guess I could add that in 2019 a committee could, if they so chose, to designate a waste area as a "penalty area" under the expanded definition of that term.
Yeh, but they Better make sure it’s clean! The boys will be grumpy if it’s full of crap

Why would they?  They'll be able to clean it themselves and touch the ground without fear of penalty.
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

8

#39 Porker

Porker

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467048
  • Joined: 05/10/2017
  • Location:South Australia
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:01 PM

Yea, but it’s still a PITA to do all that and you don’t know what’s directly beneath your ball! ... which you can’t move or ground your club ... waste areas are not set up clean like bunkers which is filled with clean sand

9



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors