Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Thoughts on on-line lessons for Juniors

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kekoa

kekoa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1910

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:19 PM

From those that have experience, I'm curious as to what your thoughts are for on-line lessons.   Of course seeing a coach in person is ideal, but sometimes it doesn't work due to logistics, time, funds, or all the above.

I've been inquiring locally with high level coaches to see my son, but thus far no luck.  They say he is too young and that their schedules are full.  I'm sure what they are telling me- is come back when your son is older and can show he actually has some high level potential ie. shooting underpar in big tournaments etc.  

Thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:32 PM

View Postkekoa, on 30 November 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

From those that have experience, I'm curious as to what your thoughts are for on-line lessons.   Of course seeing a coach in person is ideal, but sometimes it doesn't work due to logistics, time, funds, or all the above.

I've been inquiring locally with high level coaches to see my son, but thus far no luck.  They say he is too young and that their schedules are full.  I'm sure what they are telling me- is come back when your son is older and can show he actually has some high level potential ie. shooting underpar in big tournaments etc.  

Thanks

I would seek out a guy locally before resorting to online. With top coaches you should be able to show them a swing video and they will take you on if they like they see. Never heard that they need you to win a tournament.  That is why you go to them in the first place.  It might be where you live though.  Personally if you need to a win big tournament without them first why would you need them in the first place.

To be honest you should be able to go to apprentice of a pretty good teacher and get what you need in fact a good teacher should have already done this if you asked.

We cut back a lot on lessons lately and we seeing a lot results by just figuring things out and watching old golf tournaments on YouTube.  I no longer let a teacher change a swing for no reason.

#3 leezer99

leezer99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 1008

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:47 PM

I feel like stabbing myself in the face for saying this but I kind of agree with Tiger1873 on seeing an apprentice or another well known local teaching pro.

I don't agree on the old YouTube diagnosis and implementation method a lot of parents try and save money by doing.  Most parents can't diagnose a problem and apply the correct fix.  A teaching pro needs to see the student to apply the correct fix.

If you want a guy that's really good with junior golfers (who also played on a NCAA Championship Team) PM me and I'll send you his info.  He's a little ways away from you but has Trackman and is at a range you are familiar with.

#4 llewol007

llewol007

4KidsGolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211323
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 858

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:48 PM

i believe that it depends at what level your son is at. You do not have to pour money into high level coaching if your kid is still learning the fundamentals. Heck most players got coaching from their parents if their parent was half decent at the game. Only when your kid is inspiring to get into junior golf and he has a solid foundation and maybe you want to it to another level then maybe I would say high level coaching might be worth it. Not always a guarantee either. Of course ultimately if you have the cash to do it then by all means. But if you are inquiring into online lessons versus high level coaching, there is options in between to get started.
2017 M1 TI 10.5 Evolution II 661X<br />2016 M2 HL Evolution II 757X

#5 jj9000

jj9000

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99079
GolfWRX Likes : 2379

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:39 PM

Forget everything else, and just make sure they play ProV1s.

The ball is the only thing that matters in this game.

#6 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 627

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:43 PM

Local golf instructor here says he doesn't prefer to teach kids until they are at least 9 years old due to maturity.  My kid is 7YO and going on 8YO very soon. Next year, we plan on connecting with this coach for lessons twice/month. In the meantime, we just keep having fun and making sure to play other sports and lots of them.

#7 kekoa

kekoa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1910

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:06 PM

View Postllewol007, on 30 November 2018 - 03:48 PM, said:

i believe that it depends at what level your son is at. You do not have to pour money into high level coaching if your kid is still learning the fundamentals. Heck most players got coaching from their parents if their parent was half decent at the game. Only when your kid is inspiring to get into junior golf and he has a solid foundation and maybe you want to it to another level then maybe I would say high level coaching might be worth it. Not always a guarantee either. Of course ultimately if you have the cash to do it then by all means. But if you are inquiring into online lessons versus high level coaching, there is options in between to get started.

My son has been playing forever and is currently 8.  Iíve been working with him for the most part and feel like I need to hand over the reins to someone that knows the swing and fixes better than I do.  I can play fairly well, but having a hard time diagnosing issues with my son.  Like you said I want to take him to the next level.

#8 darter79

darter79

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 367

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:29 PM

View Postleezer99, on 30 November 2018 - 03:47 PM, said:

I feel like stabbing myself in the face for saying this but I kind of agree with Tiger1873 on seeing an apprentice or another well known local teaching pro.

I don't agree on the old YouTube diagnosis and implementation method a lot of parents try and save money by doing.  Most parents can't diagnose a problem and apply the correct fix.  A teaching pro needs to see the student to apply the correct fix.

If you want a guy that's really good with junior golfers (who also played on a NCAA Championship Team) PM me and I'll send you his info.  He's a little ways away from you but has Trackman and is at a range you are familiar with.

Agree with him? Whyyyyyyy. Just disagree it’s smarter that way

I don’t recommend YouTube that’s just flat out stupid. Just trying to figure it out vs seeing someone who went to school trained? Tell me again what your kid shoots?? Ha ain’t worry we all know tiger.

I found find the best local teacher you can that meshes well with your son.  I believe the relationship as just as important as the knowledge. Good ones are hard to obtain took my daughter a while to be able to get in.

#9 GwrxMod

GwrxMod

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 1,025 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:13 PM

Another topic cleaned. This is getting tiresome.

Put each other on ignore. Keep it on topic. Any further reports will result in automatic suspensions.

#10 yellowlover519

yellowlover519

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89955
  • Ebay ID:yellowlover5
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:16 PM

Skillest app.  Adam Koloff or Alex Moore.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 kcap

kcap

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417624
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:56 AM

View Postkekoa, on 30 November 2018 - 05:06 PM, said:

View Postllewol007, on 30 November 2018 - 03:48 PM, said:

My son has been playing forever and is currently 8.  I've been working with him for the most part and feel like I need to hand over the reins to someone that knows the swing and fixes better than I do.  I can play fairly well, but having a hard time diagnosing issues with my son.  Like you said I want to take him to the next level.

I clearly missed all the back and forth on this forum.

- my son moved to his current coach as few month ago.  At that point in time,  we took an online lesson.   It was great, reinforced what he had been told to work on by his new coach.

I think you need a regular in person coach.  I also believe you will change coaches several times so do not get stuck on trying to find an elite junior coach.  I do not think taking online lesson can replace a in person coach,  but would highly recommend  them.   It is an inexpensive way to get another set of eyes, and hopefully the person you choose is good enough that they point out just couple of things to work upon.

#12 wlm

wlm

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102822
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:25 PM

My personal view is that proximity is a really important factor in a junior golf Coach. There are a number of important factors to consider, so there really isnít a one-size-fits-all response, but I think ease of access is important until a junior gets to the higher or elite levels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors