Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

LPGA Off Season

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,061 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
GolfWRX Likes : 24433

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:04 PM

'Figured I'd create a thread as a general dumping ground for any tidbits that come up during the two months of down time.

I'm going to go crazy with no LPGA for two months. I still have the final rounds of the International Crown, KEB Hana Bank, and Buick on my DVR, so I'll have something to watch during the stretch.

The KLPGA season starts 12/7, so there will be some live golf available on the web.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 18majors

18majors

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132784
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:59 PM

The inaugural 2019 Diamond Resorts Tournament of Champions Presented by Insurance Office of America, Jan. 17-20, 2019 can't come soon enough.
It's an important period for Yealimi Noh, who hasn't yet signed an agent or turned pro.
A Yean Cho, who finished first individually at 2018 Women's Amateur Team Championship in Ireland and first in 2018 KLPGA Q-School, will start her first KLPGA tournament as a member December 7-9, 2018.
It's probably a forgone conclusion that Jeong Eun Lee 6, or Lucky 6, will win 2019 Louise Suggs Rookie of the Year award.  But like 2018, serious competition will come from Anne van Dam, who finished 2018 second to Georgia Hall on LET order of merit.  van Dam is long, her driving distance averaged 282.53 yards.

Edited by 18majors, 30 November 2018 - 05:00 PM.

#3 ChronicSlicer

ChronicSlicer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 444562
GolfWRX Likes : 555

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:02 PM

Although the music is terrible(sorry), I can see why golf is so popular in Korea. Looks to be pretty cold, and all I see are smiles everywhere. Good for them knowing how to have a good time.

https://www.instagra...f.champstrophy/

#4 fredogolfer

fredogolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 402926
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:36 PM

Should anyone wish to kill some time, there is a K-Drama (Korean Soap Opera) about a girl from a working class family who tries to make it on the KLPGA. It is on youtube and all 20 or so episodes are available with subtitles. The name of the series is birdie buddy. Of course, it's like 90% drama and 10% golf but nevertheless a way to pass the time related to ladies golf.

Edited by fredogolfer, 30 November 2018 - 11:36 PM.

#5 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 18,061 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:20 AM

View Postfredogolfer, on 30 November 2018 - 11:36 PM, said:

Should anyone wish to kill some time, there is a K-Drama (Korean Soap Opera) about a girl from a working class family who tries to make it on the KLPGA. It is on youtube and all 20 or so episodes are available with subtitles. The name of the series is birdie buddy. Of course, it's like 90% drama and 10% golf but nevertheless a way to pass the time related to ladies golf.

Didn't Soo Jing Yang make a guest appearance in an episode that involved a long drive competition?

#6 fredogolfer

fredogolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:59 AM

View PostArgonne69, on 01 December 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

View Postfredogolfer, on 30 November 2018 - 11:36 PM, said:

Didn't Soo Jing Yang make a guest appearance in an episode that involved a long drive competition?

Not sure that it was her specifically but there are a couple of episodes that have the characters competing in tournaments. I assume the other players could be actual golfers. In one episode, the protagonist competes at KLPGA Q-School. In another episode, the antagonist competes in matchplay against the supposed best LPGA golfer at an exhibition to promote a resort in Korea. I do remember something about a long-drive competition toward the middle-end of the series. I'm not going to say the acting is always the best, the storyline always the strongest but it's interesting to see that a mainstream series was produced in Korea with participation from the KLPGA. KLPGA banners and logos make frequent appearances in the series. I can't imagine anything close could come out in the US. Who knows, maybe netflix, Hulu or Prime could see the potential interest in this even among non-golfers, if they got the right personalities in there or if they did it more as a reality series. I think currently, there isn't one star that could carry a series. Maybe Ariya, Lexi and Brooke as a reality series with one of the moms and veterans like Lorie Kane, Laura Davies or Juli Inkster.

About 8 years ago, it would have been interesting to follow Lorena, Yani and Ai Miyazato simultaneouly as they were doing well along with Creamer or Gulbis or another up and comer. Does anyone know how much attention Ariya gets in Thailand? Do people go crazy for her like they did for Yani in Taiwan or Lorena in Mexico. I remember for Lorena there would be 25,000 or more people at the course on a Sunday in Mexico for a final round on a couple of occasions. That was approaching PGA Tour numbers.

#7 I_HATE_SNOW

I_HATE_SNOW

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47459
GolfWRX Likes : 428

Posted 01 December 2018 - 11:56 AM

It will be much better now that the caddies can't help them line up.

#8 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 18,061 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:10 AM

Lexi is playing this week in the QBE Shootout at Tiburon GC. She's partnered with Tony Finau again. Last year they finished a very respectable 4T.

#9 fredogolfer

fredogolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:56 AM

As we await the schedule, one thing the commissioner said years ago was that he wanted to eventually get to the point where the schedule was just sent out in an email or a news release. The one constant it seems is tournaments fall off and are added pretty regularly and the schedule is released about a month before the new season starts. I guess purse size and stability remain a big issue. 2019 will also bring tv/broadcast rights. The media landscape is much different now than when the commissioner started.

#10 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 18,061 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2018 - 07:06 PM

Lexi is definitely holding her own at the QBE. Hopefully she and Tony can improve on their finish from last year.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

iotone

GolfWRX Sponsors