Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * - - - 3 votes

What’s some of the shadiest things a course has done to you?

81 replies to this topic

#61 ATAlxndr

ATAlxndr

RHL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 272681
  • Handicap:1.8
GolfWRX Likes : 312

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:01 AM

I paid a decent price for a round at an upscale country club that went semi private.  This course is long and hilly, I get there and pay to then be told that it's walking only today and no push carts allowed....

Ping G400 10.5* - Speeder VC 6.2 TS X
Ping G400 17.5* - Speeder VC 7.2 TS X
Ping G400 19* - KBS Proto Hybrid 95 X
Ping i210 4-P - KBS Tour V 120 X
Ping Glide Forged 50/54/58 - KBS 610 125
Ping Redwood Anser

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 straightshot7

straightshot7

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66294
GolfWRX Likes : 2650

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:36 PM

View PostSkiSchoolPro, on 29 November 2018 - 09:57 AM, said:

Played in a charity event and was later told the course didn't donate the $.

Lol. /Thread

#63 CCUgolfer23

CCUgolfer23

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185402
GolfWRX Likes : 491

Posted 01 December 2018 - 06:15 PM

Not as bad as some of these. But we called a course and they gave us a discount for working in the golf industry. So we get book at 10:10 tee time for $30. Well we get to the course and they guy says the the person working the night before “accidentally” over booked 10:10, but that we could tee off at 12:45 and pay $90. Ended up seeing the starter sheet, and there we were booked for 10:10 but not allowed to go out.
PXG 0811X 9*: Graphite Design AD BB 6X
PXG 0341 15*: Graphite Design AD BB 7X
Callaway GBB 18*: Graphite Design AD DI 9X
Tour issue 913HD 20* Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW: KBS Tour 120 S
Taylormade Tour Preferred 52* and Tour issue 56*/ 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

#64 bladehunter

bladehunter

I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,493 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 18983

Posted 01 December 2018 - 06:43 PM

View PostFerguson, on 29 November 2018 - 02:16 PM, said:

View Postani5009, on 29 November 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

I've had so many shady situations with different courses when I've booked the tee times on Golf Now. From being told carts aren't included in the greens fee (even though it says the price was to ride on Golf Now) and being charged extra, to being charged multiple "hospitality" fees from the course. It makes me think these courses don't like people using Golf Now to get out and play for whatever reason, but I don't get why they would post the tee times on there in first place.

I loathe GOLFNOW and Hugh Jackman equally.

Joining a private club like we did 10 years ago (if you're able) is the only solution.

Golfnow is part of the problem. Not the solution.  

Our membership is currently lobbying hard to get the GM to drop golfnow.  

It’s a semi private , so loads of public play.  But if you run the numbers for the rounds played via golf now it’s crazy how much is given away.

What’s really eye opening is when you track who’s playing via golf now.  It’s regualrs.  People who have played there for years.  Now they just do it for less or free.  It’s not new people.     I strongly believe that running ads via Facebook and the website for discounted times and senior /  and women’s days etc will bring in more play at higher $ than  Golfnow.  If you involve a middle man to  do a job you can do in-house without putting on more staff .... you’re loosing money.

Edited by bladehunter, 01 December 2018 - 06:43 PM.

Nike TW Oven Vapor Speed Aldila Synergy 70TX
TM 17 M1 Tour 14.5*  Graphite Design ADDI 8X
TM M3 Tour  19* Fuji Pro white 95X
Titliest 681 proto 3-pw Modus 130X
Vokey Tour raw 54 60 M Modus 130S
GSS 009 1.5  Beached Tungsten weights
Bidgestone RXS

#65 augustgolf

augustgolf

Golf with dignity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438244
  • Ebay ID:augustgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 3944

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:11 PM

View Postbladehunter, on 01 December 2018 - 06:43 PM, said:

View PostFerguson, on 29 November 2018 - 02:16 PM, said:

View Postani5009, on 29 November 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

I've had so many shady situations with different courses when I've booked the tee times on Golf Now. From being told carts aren't included in the greens fee (even though it says the price was to ride on Golf Now) and being charged extra, to being charged multiple "hospitality" fees from the course. It makes me think these courses don't like people using Golf Now to get out and play for whatever reason, but I don't get why they would post the tee times on there in first place.

I loathe GOLFNOW and Hugh Jackman equally.

Joining a private club like we did 10 years ago (if you're able) is the only solution.

Golfnow is part of the problem. Not the solution.  

Our membership is currently lobbying hard to get the GM to drop golfnow.  

It's a semi private , so loads of public play.  But if you run the numbers for the rounds played via golf now it's crazy how much is given away.

What's really eye opening is when you track who's playing via golf now.  It's regualrs.  People who have played there for years.  Now they just do it for less or free.  It's not new people. I strongly believe that running ads via Facebook and the website for discounted times and senior /  and women's days etc will bring in more play at higher $ than  Golfnow.  If you involve a middle man to  do a job you can do in-house without putting on more staff .... you're loosing money.

I fully agree that GN is not the solution. Having an excellent understanding of their model, their contract(s) and their methods, I have successfully increased $$$ to the club, without breaking contract, and also while terminating contract.

A well run club by experienced management should never have to give away the $$$$ to these companies....no where, no how, no time.

Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
or is it 1514...
I don't remember exactly

#66 bigmoneyp

bigmoneyp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106403
GolfWRX Likes : 491

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:33 PM

View PostMI517, on 29 November 2018 - 10:23 PM, said:

8 guys playing a round on way to golf trip in northern Michigan. Call ahead to make a tee time 9 days out for afternoon. Quoted a price, buddy pays in full and we all PayPal him the $. We get to the course and the pro shop says ‘we’re really busy this week so the price you paid changed, everyone owes an additional $20.’, he points to a sign they have that says ‘Green fees are subject to change’.

We paid, but got the extra $20 back later after my buddy threw a fit at the guy he booked it through.

Really soured me on that course, but we now have the running ‘subject to change’ joke.

What course?

#67 Baitkiller

Baitkiller

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359765
  • Handicap:Yes
GolfWRX Likes : 1097

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:00 PM

Slid in a 30 yard long bunker 230 off the mens tee left edge of the #1 faiway. Really?
Turn over damnit!
Krank 9*  Formula 5 UST Tour
Adams 15* wasabi
XXIO pro 5
Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
Betti-1
K-sig

#68 defnotapro

defnotapro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 413146
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:jdpelz
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:27 PM

All these golfnow post made me remember a pretty embarrassing moment.

I decided one Easter I would just play golf since I don't live near any of my family and just don't like the masses. I booked a tee time through teeoff.com at a course I had been wanting to play about an hour and half away. I load up my clubs and make the drive. I get to the parking lot and it is packed full. Can hardly find a spot but finally find a spot in the way back. Get my clubs out and start walking towards what I am assuming is the pro shop. I'm near the range and peek over at it, but don't see anyone, which I thought was odd since it the parking lot was full. As I keep walking, I start to look at the course and realize I don't see anyone on the course. Awfully weird but who cares.

I get near the building and read a sign that has an arrow pointing to the pro shop, and one that points to a convention center. I walk the way it points to the pro shop and glance over up at said convention center. Looks like maybe they are having an Easter service or something, cool. I finally get to the pro shop and see no lights on inside. Door is locked. Look around again, no carts anywhere, no one to be found outside or on the course. Try to call the course. I can hear the phone ring, and obviously no one answers.

At this point I a bit frustrated having driven so far. I start walking back to my truck. As I get just pas where I can see the doors of the convention center, I see the doors swing open and now everyone from the Easter service is filing out into the parking lot, with me, clubs on my back, in the dead middle walking back to my truck. Was a bit embarrassed and I sure some people were puzzled to see me.

Called teeoff and demanded a refund and argued that they owed me for my time and money spent to get there. They said they needed to confirm with the pro shop that they were in fact closed. After the put me on hold they tell me that no one answered and they would try again later. I again explained myself with a bit more passion that they could call all day and no one would ever answer because no one is there. Finally a supervisor tried calling, got no answer and refunded my money. They were nice enough to give me a 50% off coupon for future use. Made good on that at an expensive course.

But I was determined to play golf. I had a couple options but decided to go with this course on the way home and not out of the way. Man, 2nd worse goat track I have ever been to. Nothing like trying to chip out of clover next to the green!

Pretty sure this was God's way of telling me I should have been in church.

#69 Greenie

Greenie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,396 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82498
  • Handicap:13.7
GolfWRX Likes : 898

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:52 PM

This happened to my friend.
My buddy gets a new putter. He calls me to see if I want to go with him midweek because he wants to use it before our weekend group plays.. He wants to play this course an hr away and I wasn't into traveling that far during the week so he goes on his own. He calls the course and makes his tee time. He tells me he arrives at the course and while he is paying he is telling the person all about his new putter he just got and how he really likes the greens at the course. He tees off on one and when he gets down to the green they have a 5 gal bucket in the ground and the green is closed. He plays two and the same thing. Hole 3 is a par 3 that goes back to the clubhouse. He sees the bucket down by the green so he rides straight back to the clubhouse ,goes in and asks what is going on and the person then lets him know all the greens are closed. So my friend says why didn't you tell me this when I called to make the tee time or mention it when I checked in? The person says well you didn't ask. My friend doesn't carry credit cards and when he asked for a refund the person would only give him a raincheck. He didn't have enough money to pay for a round some where else so he had to come all the way back home. This didn't happen to me but I'm not a forgiving person and I won't go there because of that.

#70 wundej

wundej

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,555 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34315
GolfWRX Likes : 505

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:57 AM

We planned an outing. I think we had 10 or so 4somes. Not huge, but still a lot of people.

Showed up and the course looked like this in the middle of summer. They still charged use full price. I believe it was either bad fertilizer or way too strong and burnt the fairways.  

IMG_1543762626.173017.jpg

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 halliedog

halliedog

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30624
  • Handicap:5.2
GolfWRX Likes : 691

Posted 02 December 2018 - 04:53 PM

View PostBogeyLJA, on 30 November 2018 - 01:06 AM, said:

In general I hate the per person cart fee, so dumb

So if the cart fee is say $20, and you want/need to play as a solo, you'd feel better paying the full $20 by yourself?
WITB:
TM M1 8.5* w/ Aldila Rip Alpha 45.5
Ping TiSi Tec 7.5* w/ Elements Chrome 43"
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW
Nevada Golf Guy 53-08 w/ KBS Tour V X
TM "Un-Ghosted" Tour 880

#72 Greenie

Greenie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,396 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:03 PM

View Posthalliedog, on 02 December 2018 - 04:53 PM, said:

So if the cart fee is say $20, and you want/need to play as a solo, you'd feel better paying the full $20 by yourself?

I know of only one course in my area that charges per cart. I went there only one time because of that. We were a group of 12 and only 11 shows up. I was the odd man out and I was charged for the whole cart. As we are heading to the tee the starter says hold up I have a single to pair you up with. The guy shows up,puts his clubs on the cart and hops in. The first thing I say to the guy is I hope they didn't charge you for a whole cart. The guy says no they told me I didn't have to pay because it was taken care of. I said great and told him what his amount was for the cart. He says I'll walk. It was a terrible hilly course to walk and he got no sympathy from me.

#73 jschwarb

jschwarb

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157177
GolfWRX Likes : 281

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:57 AM

View PostGreenie, on 02 December 2018 - 06:03 PM, said:

I know of only one course in my area that charges per cart. I went there only one time because of that. We were a group of 12 and only 11 shows up. I was the odd man out and I was charged for the whole cart. As we are heading to the tee the starter says hold up I have a single to pair you up with. The guy shows up,puts his clubs on the cart and hops in. The first thing I say to the guy is I hope they didn't charge you for a whole cart. The guy says no they told me I didn't have to pay because it was taken care of. I said great and told him what his amount was for the cart. He says I'll walk. It was a terrible hilly course to walk and he got no sympathy from me.

With all due respect, why create that awkward moment right when you meet the guy? It's the course's snafu, not the stranger's responsibility to pay you $10.

You could either take it up with the golf shop at the turn or after the round, or a few holes into the round tell the guy "by the way, not sure if you know, but they charge riders on a per-cart basis and before you arrived, I was on the hook for $20 because I didn't have a partner. If you want to toss me $10, that's cool, or maybe when we're done we can pop inside and square up." Or, at that point, ask the guy for a dog and a beer at the turn. I'd like to think you'd have been taken care of. But instead, you hit him up for cash before his seat is warm.

Edited by jschwarb, 03 December 2018 - 09:58 AM.

#74 mshills

mshills

Consistently inconsistent.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139083
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 1082

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:51 PM

View Poststraightshot7, on 01 December 2018 - 03:36 PM, said:

View PostSkiSchoolPro, on 29 November 2018 - 09:57 AM, said:

Played in a charity event and was later told the course didn't donate the $.

Lol. /Thread

No kidding.  Hard to get more bootleg than that.
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 8 deg
TEE E8 Beta 16.5 deg
Callaway Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood
TEE CB Pro 3h 21 deg
Titleist 735.CM 4-PW, S300
Titleist Vokey 54.14, 58.08
Dave Curry Big Oak custom center shaft
Custom Eliott carry bag, waxed canvas and leather

#75 Greenie

Greenie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,396 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:07 PM

View Postjschwarb, on 03 December 2018 - 09:57 AM, said:

With all due respect, why create that awkward moment right when you meet the guy? It's the course's snafu, not the stranger's responsibility to pay you $10.

You could either take it up with the golf shop at the turn or after the round, or a few holes into the round tell the guy "by the way, not sure if you know, but they charge riders on a per-cart basis and before you arrived, I was on the hook for $20 because I didn't have a partner. If you want to toss me $10, that's cool, or maybe when we're done we can pop inside and square up." Or, at that point, ask the guy for a dog and a beer at the turn. I'd like to think you'd have been taken care of. But instead, you hit him up for cash before his seat is warm.

Yes I could have done it different. I have always been an upfront and direct person. My main concern was to find out if the course had charged him $32 for a whole cart when he was actually sharing one. When he told me no they didn't charge him and he said they told him it was already taken care of I thought a normal reply at that point by me was to let him know how much his part of the cart fee was in case he didn't know.  I think it would be an awkward moment no matter when you ask a stranger for money due you and just as awkward to say lets go into the clubhouse and get these cart fees settled up.I chose to get it out of the way upfront. We got along great while playing and had great conversastion so if I made him feel awkward it didn't last.

Edited by Greenie, 03 December 2018 - 08:08 PM.

#76 defnotapro

defnotapro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:34 AM

What's awkward is having someone let you ride on the cart and then halfway through the round say, by the way, I had to pay for the full cart, so I'm going to need you to pay for your half now.

#77 jschwarb

jschwarb

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157177
GolfWRX Likes : 281

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:40 AM

View Postdefnotapro, on 04 December 2018 - 09:34 AM, said:

What's awkward is having someone let you ride on the cart and then halfway through the round say, by the way, I had to pay for the full cart, so I'm going to need you to pay for your half now.

It can be awkward at the beginning, middle or the end. It's unfortunate that a course would put players in positions like that.

#78 cardoustie

cardoustie

haha, we don't play for 5's

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,233 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 7373

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:07 PM

This is small

I am a Clublink member up here and also thru that have a Clubcorp card

Go to a course in NW Florida last year, called first and yes they are open but carts can't go out .. heavy rains the night before

No worries, I head over, looking forward to a walk.  Place was empty.  ProShop guy insists on charging me the $20 cart fee for reciprocal play because it is mandatory.   I said that I get it but I am walking and carts can't even go out.   Oh well.

Played in approx 2hrs .. speed walking for the old fat guy .... great fun
Ping G400 LST 10.6* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 55x
Ping G400 3w 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi Gold 65s
Callaway GBB 5w 18* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
Callaway Apex 3h 20* Matrix MFS 85x
Callaway Apex 4h 25* Matrix Altus Red 92x
Ping Rapture J Spec 5i Altus
Ping s55 6 - PW Nippon 1150x
Callaway Forged Copper 50*
Vokey SM6 Brushed Cu 54*M & 58*M  
Piretti Matera Elite

#79 Willwinz

Willwinz

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 418682
  • Handicap:2
  • Ebay ID:wil99ann01
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:54 PM

I'm also a clubcorp member. I hate their play away "benefits". You get 2 free greens fees a month. So I've done this several times and this is what happens almost every time: me: I've got a tee time at 12 and I want to walk. Pro shop guy: okay that will be $20. Me: but I've got free greens fees. Pro shop guy: yes sir, but this isn't your home club so guests are required to pay the $20 per person fee whether they ride or walk. Me (to myself): so the greens fee is actually $20. These are not at the premier cluncorp courses, but just normal clubcorp courses that are $20 on golfnow sometimes anyway.

#80 defnotapro

defnotapro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:23 PM

View PostWillwinz, on 04 December 2018 - 05:54 PM, said:

I'm also a clubcorp member. I hate their play away "benefits". You get 2 free greens fees a month. So I've done this several times and this is what happens almost every time: me: I've got a tee time at 12 and I want to walk. Pro shop guy: okay that will be $20. Me: but I've got free greens fees. Pro shop guy: yes sir, but this isn't your home club so guests are required to pay the $20 per person fee whether they ride or walk. Me (to myself): so the greens fee is actually $20. These are not at the premier cluncorp courses, but just normal clubcorp courses that are $20 on golfnow sometimes anyway.

I played PGA National and called ahead and asked if I pay for a caddie, do I still have to pay for the cart fee? The caddie fee was double that of the cart fee so they said that would be fine. Got there and they tried to charge me for both. Luckily I explained to them I had called ahead, and luckily they didn't charge me for both.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 casey_0507

casey_0507

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121944
GolfWRX Likes : 490

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:30 PM

Moved the pin location knowing good damn and well my ball was gonna land on yesterday’s hole.

Edited by casey_0507, 04 December 2018 - 06:31 PM.

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6x
Cobra F7 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra King Baffler Aldila Tour Blue 85x
Cobra Amp Forged 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

#82 Shipwreck

Shipwreck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125845
GolfWRX Likes : 1565

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:10 PM

View Postcasey_0507, on 04 December 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

Moved the pin location knowing good damn and well my ball was gonna land on yesterday’s hole.

Those bastards!!! They must rotate around the country, because I’m pretty sure they’ve been to my course too.
Driver - TaylorMade SLDR 430 TP w/ Project X LZ Handcrafted 6.5
3 Wood - Callaway Epic SZ 3+ w/ Oban Kyoshi HB X
Hybrid - Ben Hogan VKTR 19* w/ IROD stiff
Irons - 4-PW Ben Hogan FT WORTH BLACK w/ Recoil ES780 F4
Wedges - Ben Hogan TK15 50/54/59 w/ Recoil Protoype 125 F4
Putter - Odyssey O-Works #7
Ball - Taylormade TP5/TP5x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors