Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Graffaloy Epic Shaft

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Graffaloy Epic Shaft (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Make Your Opinion Count

1. 5 (Best) (32 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. 4 (14 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. 3 (6 votes [10.71%])

Percentage of vote: 10.71%

4. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. 1 (4 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 GwrxMod

GwrxMod

Tour Winner

• Marshals
  • 568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:05 PM

Graffaloy Epic Shaft

The new Epic from Grafalloy combines a high launch angle and low spin design for superior distance and accuracy. It uses patented Nanofuse material, crated by fusing incredibly strong nano-crystalline metals at the molecular level with a composite polymer substrate. The final product is a super-lightweight shaft with explosive distance and up to a 35% improvement in shot dispersion, putting golfers as much as 20 yards closer to the pin off the tee.

Bend Point: Mid

4496W_im_____0_gsi.jpg

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 iCollector

iCollector

Collector

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25508
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:57 AM

Is this a departure from the "original" Epic? I've had the unfortunate experience of having two break on me within six months. Grafalloy is shipping  one to GG for them to fix (warranty which is nice!)

I really don't want a high launch shaft, and I thought the original wasn't high launch. Was I misinformed on the original? BTW, I do like the shaft, that's why after two breaks I'm sticking with it.

Would have given it 5 stars, but with the breaks.... down one.

#3 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

De oppresso liber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,399 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 744

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:20 PM

View Postmkoreiwo, on Jun 11 2008, 05:57 AM, said:

Is this a departure from the "original" Epic? I've had the unfortunate experience of having two break on me within six months. Grafalloy is shipping  one to GG for them to fix (warranty which is nice!)

I really don't want a high launch shaft, and I thought the original wasn't high launch. Was I misinformed on the original? BTW, I do like the shaft, that's why after two breaks I'm sticking with it.

Would have given it 5 stars, but with the breaks.... down one.

I, too was lead to believe that Epic is a mid launch tight dispersion shaft... made to play like steel yet provide the distances of graphite.  I just picked up a Callaway tour FT5 demo with Epic (S); so this weekends rounds should be fun; :clapping:  I hope.

Good luck with your repairs.
SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x
SC California Monterey

#4 JakeDog

JakeDog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44875

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:29 PM

The epic fairway shaft has been just as advertised for me.  I replaced the stock aldila nv 65 that comes in the tour edge exotics cb fairway wood with the 84 gm epic fairway shaft (yes, they put a 65 gm shaft in a fairway wood).  my ball flight is lower, spin is less, and I get tons more rollout.  The shaft is very stable through the entire swing and impact, and dispersion control is the best I've ever achieved with my swing.  The shaft doesn't feel heavy or boardy in any way.  The tee 3 wood with this shaft is absolute money - I can still hit my driver farther (only about 10-15 yards though) but the control of the shaft is amazing.  Best fairway wood shaft I've ever hit.  5 stars.

#5 narsi

narsi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36405

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:17 PM

I had an Epic in a Superquad, it was the biggest disappointment for any power hitter. The shaft is so thin that it would snap after 8 or 9 hits. They have the right idea, but the shaft still needs to be able to take the load.

#6 txcountrylawyer

txcountrylawyer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58431

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:29 PM

After picking up a 905s for a song to be my travel driver and hitting its Graffaloy Blue, which feels like a board to me regarding feel alhough distance and accuracy are OK, I have not hit another Graffaloy shaft.

Am I missing anything?  I picked up a great Tour Superquad 460 and am going to reshaft it any suggestons?  Using GD 7 stiff in main driver?

#7 schlebrock

schlebrock

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11688
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:13 PM

I've played the 68 gram version in both a driver and fairway wood and didn't care for it. Now I've put the 87 gram Fwy version in my 15.5 degree G10 fairway wood and it's money. Great feel, great dispersion, great distance, great ballflight.......this shaft has it all.

It's definitely worth a try if the specs match your needs.
Ping G25 9.5 | Fujikura Speeder 757
Exotics CB4 Tour 16.5 | UST Attas T2
Titleist 913H 21 | Aldila Tour Green
Ping G25's 4-UW | KBS Tour-V
Vokey TVD SM4 54S, 58K | KBS Tour
Ping Craz-E Scottsdale TR

#8 jeremyblre21

jeremyblre21

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7697
  • Ebay ID:jeremyblre21
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:17 AM

I have the fairway version and really enjoy everything about it. Much lower launch than I was expecting which i prefer. Haven't heard anything about "great" about this shaft in the driver.

#9 xdhammerbx

xdhammerbx

Sir Shanx Alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44281

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:17 PM

i enjoy playing both the fwy and the driver shaft..i have to say the driver shaft is sometimes a tad bit too high of a launch & spin, but it has definately been a excellent shaft for me.  my driver swing speed is around 100-115 on avg and i can easily carry my 3wood 260 off the tee and my driver 270-280 off the tee.

curious how the tour version plays! any one have any reviews on it?

#10 pdaero

pdaero

Hall of Fame

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,054 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56310
  • Handicap:1.8
  • Ebay ID:pdhch85
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:24 PM

I just got my Cleveland Steel 15* 3 wood back from installation and Puring of the Epic fw, and the feel is great! I can't wait to get out on the course with it.

PING Rapture V2 9* w/ XVS6
PING i15 15.5* 3 wood w/ Tour Only XDV8
PING 20* i15 w/ Ozik Altus Hybrid X
Mizuno MP32 3-P w/ SS'd KBS Tour X
Vokey SM4 TVD 53*, 58* w/ S400
PING Anser Milled 0 34"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 rforman13

rforman13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41033

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:01 AM

Ive had 3 of these snap on me....I can't even explain.  Good while it lasted though...

#12 bloodredsun

bloodredsun

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 1,805 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22235
  • Ebay ID:bloodredsunfootie

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:08 AM

The 68 feels better than the T75 but the T75 is far better for faster swings and much lower launch. The fwd shaft is the best shaft I've ever had in a 3 wood.

I've had mine almost a year with no breakages but there sure are a lot of reports of this happening. This may be why Grafalloy/TrueTemper are not using Nanofuse in their new shaft - X Proto.

Also, for those who missed it - here's the Bag Chatter review

#13 asuntag

asuntag

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27540

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:28 AM

I have epics in my hybrids (18 and 22 degree idea pro golds, and 24 degree idea pro) and absolutely love them.  Tempted to try them in my 3 wood as well.

Definately agree with above posters...mid ball flight has been my experience.

#14 uscbomber

uscbomber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60643

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:11 PM

Can anyone compare the Epic shaft to the Grafalloy Blue?  I always like the Blue and thought that it offered a solid feel and ball flight.

Also, I'd be interested in the Epic Tour (heavier weight shaft) vs. standard Epic.  Other than the weight difference is there a major difference in feel, ball flight, etc?

#15 playmuch

playmuch

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43638
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:40 AM

i have a epic in a cb2 3 wood. i find the dispersion great but the ball flight to be a little low for a 3 wood. great off the tee.

#16 jphilbeck

jphilbeck

Advanced

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56251
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:41 AM

I have a 44in Epic Tour in X flex and I found it about 10-20 yards short of my 45in Matrix Studio 84 in S flex.  I have a nakashima so i can take shafts in and out fast.  The thing I liked about the shaft was consistency.  I hit a 5 yard fade everytime.  The ball flight is just so consistent.  It just isn't know to be a long shaft.

I also tossed the Epic shaft in a swing frequency machine and I noticed how straight the shaft went back and forth as compared to other shafts I have put in them.

If you don't care about distance and you just wanna hit a bunch of fairways then I would get it.

Actually this thread might make me go extend it today and try it out again.

#17 Double Gee

Double Gee

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31137
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:19 AM

was a bit worried as some comments on here talk off the shaft breaking.

But, bought my Srixon off of Ebay with the Epic shaft for 52 !!  and it is stunning. Tight dispersion anf fabulous length. Initially I was worried as it is meant to be a high launch shaft, but it is giving me the same trajectory as the Prolaunch Red ... wierd.

Has defo given me a little distance on shots, but the tightness and feel and second to none.

#18 manxofxsteel69

manxofxsteel69

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55492

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:01 PM

I have heard about these shafts snapping, but from what I've been told and seen all the ones that I've seen break have been due to improper prep and installation.  I'm not sure what your individual incident may have been , but the ones I saw the tips were sanded down way to far.  Because of the "nanofuse" you are only suppose to barely scuff the tip for epoxy to adhere to.  The ones that I saw that were broken the tips were sanded down way too far to where there's no paint left.  So if you are buying a used Epic, make sure you still see paint on the tip or you'll be screwed.

#19 misty_mountainhop

misty_mountainhop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67085
  • Ebay ID:misty_mountainhop

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:42 AM

Self-installed an Epic T75S in my Titleist 983E a couple of weeks back by converting the head to a blind bore and I have a couple of comments:

1) Wow! This'll be staying in the bag for the foreseeable future. Good distance, mid launch and it just flies. More importantly for me, very tight distribution and it feels exceptionally good. My SS is ~100-110 I think.

2) If you're installing yourself watch the tip preparation. The Epic web site recommends a 150 grit flap wheel to remove the lacquer finish but I would definitely avoid this. There isn't much lacquer to remove and a flap wheel could easily take it too far. I used a 180 grit strip of sandpaper (~6"x1") as if I was shoe-shining the tip and you're through the lacquer _very_ quick even like this.

#20 golfjamaica

golfjamaica

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34307
  • Ebay ID:portantonio

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

Does anyone know which size would fit a hibore xl? The .335 or the .350 tip? Thanks much...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 iCollector

iCollector

Collector

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25508

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:09 AM

The HiBore XL is a .350 tip. I put an Epic in there and LOVE it. I did break two, but I think that was due to shaft prep, and both were replaced free of charge.... Go for it, I don't think you will regret it, that shaft is a great match for that head IMHO....

#22 misty_mountainhop

misty_mountainhop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67085
  • Ebay ID:misty_mountainhop

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:44 AM

Mwhahaha! Roll on Summer! Enjoying the T75 S so much I've got me a FW S shaft for my 3-wood. Can't see me changing these anytime soon; may have to invest in a few spares...

:idhitit:  :clapping:

#23 golfjamaica

golfjamaica

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:30 PM

Thanks a lot, that is great to hear! Will let you know how it goes... Found one on ebay  :secret: , hope to have it in a couple of weeks. Any thoughts on its feel compared to a fuji tour platform?

#24 4 for all

4 for all

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74354

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:48 AM

Maybe the epic in x flex is too stiff.

#25 golfjamaica

golfjamaica

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:23 AM

So shaft arrives, they sent the 68r instead of the s! Can anyone comment on the stiffness? DOes it play closer to stiff compared to the stock fujikura shaft in the XL?

#26 moonshine

moonshine

The Trace!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Ebay ID:chasj_r1
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:03 PM

mine broke today factory installed by mizuno in my mp-600...driver 3 months past warranty and miz said "sorry ole' chap!"

I have not contacted grafalloy yet..don't think it matters!  I do agree with the post about dispersion...I loved the shaft!  I disagree about the distance...my regular drive was between 300-315.

#27 malasuerte

malasuerte

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41174

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:27 PM

Can a 46" be cut down to 5 wood length or is that changing too much?

#28 golfjamaica

golfjamaica

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:38 AM

Any other experiences with the MP 600? So far, 2 rounds with the XL, and have to say it really is for smoother swings. 1st round I was trying to hit, and it was not consistent. Yesterday, got 9 holes in, and hit 2 outstanding drives - just a more rhythmic, connected swing. I've ordered one for the MP head and would love to hear opinions on the combo...

#29 palmogela

palmogela

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39401

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:01 PM

Got it in a 9.5 Sumo and it works great for me. I have had a Blue X in an Ignite and I can say that the Epic plays slightly stiffer and has a heavier feel. I'll probably put the FW version in my 3 wood soon.

#30 twgolf

twgolf

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25616
  • Ebay ID:twwgolf69
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

I have tried this the Epic 68 in three different heads, a Mizuno MP600, an Adams BUL 5000, and a Nike Sumo 5000.  All I can say is that this is bar far the most consistent straightest hitting shaft I have ever played.  The hype about the dispersion on this shaft is right on.  Of all the balls I have hit with it very few are off line and very few have ballooned into the air.  I realize a lot of it is the indian and not the arrow, but I have tried the Fujikura speeder series, the Diamana blueboard and whiteboard series, the UST V2 series, the Aldila NV & VS series, and the Graphite Design YS6 & 7,  and the dispersion on these does not even compare to the Epic.  Some have posted that it is a straight driving shaft, but short on distance, and I beg to differ.  I hit the Epic in the same head just as far if not farther, but more importantly straighter with more control.  In regards to the 68s being to whippy, then I would suggest to move to the 68X.  It has worked out great for me and I did not loose any distance.  Besides even if I lost a few yards, I would take it being under control and in the fairway any day!

Have not tried one in a fairway wood yet, but seriously considering going to one in my 3wd after my personal experiences with the driver shafts and all the rave reviews about the fairway version.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors