Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Beginner frustrated with golf. Any advice?

81 replies to this topic

#61 FourTops

FourTops

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500886
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 935

Posted 02 December 2018 - 07:18 PM

What I often do is count "good shots" regardless of score.  A good shot can mean all kinds of things, but IMO for beginners it's a shot you hit decently towards your intended target.  It can be any shot...even putts.  I suggest keeping track of good shots and see your progress.  The nice part about this is you can still shoot 104, but maybe you had 30% good shots vs. 25% shooting 99 the last round.  There's always good shots with bad outcomes...count those.  If you strike the ball well on a par 3 but miss the green, count the well-struck ball as a good shot.  Don't penalize yourself with the score.

Edited by FourTops, 02 December 2018 - 07:20 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 Clambake

Clambake

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94215
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 378

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:43 PM

"Beginner frustrated with golf"?  LOL.  You could really put "Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced/Pro frustrated at golf (Please circle one)"  and you cover pretty much anyone who has ever played this game.  

Golf is endlessly complicated and difficult, requiring the player to use almost every muscle in their body with microsecond timing, most shots played from varying conditions in varying weather.  It is a difficult game, and one that vexes even the world's best athletes.  Think of this for a moment:  No one has every heard of golf before, and someone told you that you are going to hit a tiny ball with a 3 to 4 foot long stick and in only 4 or sometimes 3 swings of that stick you'll knock that ball into a tiny hole in the ground a quarter mile away. You'd say that's impossible - no one could ever do that!  Yet almost every one of us has, at some point, played shots that equal the best in the world and accomplished that impossible task.  And the best in the world have all played shots about as bad as ours at times.  That's what makes this such a great game. It constantly changes and challenges us, and we will never conquer it but we can occasionally sniff at perfection when playing it.  

I think you'll find that if you shift your attitude about learning and playing the game to one where you embrace and enjoy the process of learning and getting better instead of trying to focus so much on the outcome, especially as a beginner, you'll enjoy the game much more. Probably most of us have been down the rabbit hole of focusing so much on the result and our bad shots, and when one instead enjoys the process of incremental improvement (even with the occasional step backwards), the game rewards one in ways that are tough to describe to non-golfer.  Enjoy the journey more than the destination.

#63 andrue

andrue

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458618
  • Handicap:21
GolfWRX Likes : 429

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:11 AM

View PostClambake, on 02 December 2018 - 10:43 PM, said:

And the best in the world have all played shots about as bad as ours at times.
Yeah. I remember a couple of years ago watching golf and one of the pros hit a nasty slice into a pond. Peter Aliss' commentary was priceless. "Ooh, what a shocker!" :)
Callaway Rogue Driver.
Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

#64 designpunk

designpunk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51492
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:07 AM

View PostTemple90, on 27 November 2018 - 09:40 PM, said:

I have attempted to start playing golf for the last three years and have just started taking it more seriously this past summer. I have been going to the driving range and taking lessons with a course pro.

So far I have taken six lessons and I feel like my progress has been very slow. I understand that it will  not be linear, but at times I feel like I am barely making any progress. For example, some lessons I am hitting awesome balls with minor form mistakes, but when I go to the range I can't hit a single ball well.
So far i am only practicing with irons and find that I am struggling significantly with the longer irons.
To add I have prior back issues (herniation) so my lower back is very tight. Makes for some discomfort during the swing, but never any pain.

Anyone have any advice? I want to continue going, but it is discouraging feeling like I am not getting anywhere with it.

Learn to make good contact with a chip. Even if it's in the garden. Then progress to a longer chip, a pitch etc.

Trying to stripe a 5 iron before you can hit a clean pitch is just going to be painful.

And if you're coach hasn't improved you in 6 weeks, I'd get another, or just watch youtube videos etc.

#65 shoot4par

shoot4par

Life's A Course

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 516506
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:shoot4par72
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:31 AM

Keep this in mind.... it takes 1000 conscious, "correct" swings to implement a single swing thought. Evaluate your practice and progress based on the metric. Also evaluate whose teaching you. Are they helping you progress? Do they have proven success?

Edited by shoot4par, 03 December 2018 - 10:32 AM.

Jones did it with corn whiskey. Hogan with cigarettes & Tiger with will.
On Sunday morning I'll take the back row seat
If you were wondering the secrets in the dirt.

WITB
Driver: Callaway XR Pro 9* (N/S) Oban Kiyoshi Black 65g 04 (Iomic White .60)
Callaway Epic Subzero 9* (N/S) (TC) Kiyoshi White 65g 04 Kiyoshi White 65 04 (Iomic White .60)
Fairway Wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Limited 16.5* Kiyoshi White 75g 04 (Iomic White .60)
Hybrid: Idea Pro Black 20 * Project X 6.0 (Iomic White .60)
Irons: Miura 1957 Baby Blades 4-PW KBS TOUR 120s PVD 1* strong/ standard lie (Iomic White .60)
Wedges: Vokey Wedgeworks 52*, 56*, 60* Soon to have KBS Matte Black 120s (Iomic White .60)
Putter: I try to change everyday to ward off monotony and consistency

WITB

#66 RobertBaron

RobertBaron

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348489
GolfWRX Likes : 489

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:35 PM

For example, some lessons I am hitting awesome balls with minor form mistakes, but when I go to the range I can't hit a single ball well.

Thatís golf for ya! (Youíll kinda get used to it. Rather, youíll accept that it will happen)

So far i am only practicing with irons and find that I am struggling significantly with the longer irons.

Sounds like you need to bring only 1 club with you to practice and it should be a PW or a 9 iron. Practice with that 1 club until you develop a consistent swing that finds the center of the face. Once you feel comfortable with that 1 club, move on to the next or skip 1 ahead. So go from PW to 8 iron and same thing. Work the next club like you did the last then move on.

Itíll take time. Months probably of consistent, constructive practice before youíre able to hit the whole bag with some level of consistency. But donít get too discouraged if you canít get to the long irons. Theyíre generally the hardest clubs for most ams to hit. If I were just starting out like you all over again, knowing what I know now, I wouldnít even bag anything over a 6i until youíre scoring in the low-mid 90s with regularity. Then move onto a 5 when youíre in the high 80s. Then a 4. But for the most part, youíre probably better off with hybrids by this point. The game is hard enough as it is.

Anyone have any advice? I want to continue going, but it is discouraging feeling like I am not getting anywhere with it.

Well like others have said, it takes time and practice. Lots of time and practice. And lessons and study. In the early stages of learning itís important to have a good eye watching you swing because if you donít, youíll probably discover some bad habits like flipping to get the ball in the air. Also video your swing frequently and compare it to swings you see of pros on YouTube. You donít have to emulate a swing perfectly, but itís good way to measure set up, swing plane, impact positions, shoulder turn.

But really it just takes time. And honestly, golf is probably one of the most difficult sports to learn. Iíve been playing probably 30 years now, and it can still be incredibly frustrating. You just canít give in and give up. Youíll have your ups and downs, but I think for most golfers itís more about the journey than the destination.

#67 Man_O_War

Man_O_War

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135721
GolfWRX Likes : 1168

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:46 PM

find a good teacher in your area...stick with them. It will save you wasted time and money if you consider you will be playing for life.
This coming from a self taught player  who was once a +1
Cobra LTD Pro Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
Cobra LTD 3/4  Kai'li 80
Cobra LTD 4/5  Kai'li 80
TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
Nike Vapor Pro Irons DG 120 S400  4-pw
RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
Machine LN M6

#68 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,266 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33930
GolfWRX Likes : 3239

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:16 PM

Seems like a bunch of people have commented but op has vanished
Ping GMax 400 10.5
Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
Royal Collection 3, 4 h
Royal Collection 5-W
RomaRo Pro 3-W
TM P790 4-AW
Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
Cameron Futura 5W

If you see any more new irons before 2020, call the paramedics because my wife will have seriously injured me

#69 FourTops

FourTops

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:25 PM

View Postwmblake2000, on 03 December 2018 - 08:16 PM, said:

Seems like a bunch of people have commented but op has vanished

Ultimately it's really not a true question from some.  I follow my threads to the point of boring people to keyboard-tears.

#70 KMeloney

KMeloney

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26608
  • Handicap:@ 7
GolfWRX Likes : 994

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:10 AM

Has the OP come back to this thread since starting it?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 FourTops

FourTops

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:25 PM

Answer.....QUIT.  OY VEY!  Like we need another complainer who backs up the course?

#72 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 412064
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 350

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:48 AM

Maybe a week isn't enough time to deduce a quitter.
Besides- who could quit this game? Are we not all born masochists?
Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60, R, @11*
Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
Cleveland Smart Square Blade

#73 Temple90

Temple90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469956
  • Handicap:N/A
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:27 PM

I have not vanished! I have been practicing and really appreciate all of the comments. My biggest issue was that I was swinging down on the ball (too steep) instead of through the ball.
I was on the fence of too steep vs okay downswing and had days where I could hit some decent shots and other days where I topped the ball hit off the toe or completely missed. Since practicing shallowing out my downswing I have been able to hit some better shots, but it is by far the hardest part of golf for me.
What I do now is practice on my patio with soft balls and a turf piece.

I am about 4 months and 9 lessons in. I'm sticking with it!

#74 Temple90

Temple90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:30 PM

Also wanted to add that I really appreciate everyones' advice and honesty. This forum is the best. I have received a lot of really good info here.

#75 llewol007

llewol007

4KidsGolfer

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,022 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211323
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 878

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:33 PM

Change your Mindset or else you will never be happy. Yes it is a frustrating game and will not come overnight. Stick with it. I would say hit up you tube and get your short game as solid as it can be while you are building your full swing. There are enough great instructors of the short game that if you work on that half of the game on your own, you are cutting your learning time by days and weeks. Keep going.

2017 M1 TI 10.5 Evolution II 661X
2016 M2 HL Evolution II 757X

#76 andrue

andrue

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458618
  • Handicap:21
GolfWRX Likes : 429

Posted 06 January 2019 - 01:59 AM

Your swing will eventually sort itself out. It took me a year but I wasn't as assiduous as you sound about practising, plus I didn't bother with many lessons at first and tried to tough it out on my own. I remember the grief of not being able to make decent contact with the ball reliably and it wasn't fun.

Of course there's still a big gap between where I am now (nearly always make good contact with the ball) and where I'd like to be (the ball usually goes roughly where I intend it to) but when you can reliably get the ball off the ground and a useful distance away from where it was the game becomes more fun. It can still be frustrating but I think at that point you're past the worst of it. I just keep reminding myself that golf is going to be my retirement hobby so I don't want to have it all worked out too soon. Need to have something to work on over the remaining decades of my life :)

Edited by andrue, 06 January 2019 - 02:01 AM.

Callaway Rogue Driver.
Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

#77 OakLawnGolfPro

OakLawnGolfPro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 486006
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:scottwhogan
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:48 AM

Remember it’s a skill game, you will see a lot of stuff about you need X, Y, Z but in reality you need to get out there, learn some of the basics and then see how you can push them.
www.scotthogangolf.com

#78 rangersgoalie

rangersgoalie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 290733
GolfWRX Likes : 3197

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:47 PM

I have attempted to start playing golf for the last three years and have just started taking it more seriously this past summer. I have been going to the driving range and taking lessons with a course pro.

So far I have taken six lessons and I feel like my progress has been very slow. I understand that it will  not be linear, but at times I feel like I am barely making any progress. For example, some lessons I am hitting awesome balls with minor form mistakes, but when I go to the range I can't hit a single ball well.
To add I have prior back issues (herniation) so my lower back is very tight. Makes for some discomfort during the swing, but never any pain.

Are you really not making any progress?  Or just not as quickly as you feel you are capable of?
Some of the toughest students I’ve had are people who played really well, and left the game to work or raise families.  They come back and it’s still very prominent in their mind how good they WERE, not who they are today.  If you can start every week trying to improve from where you honestly are, and improve from there, even in small increments, you are making progress.

Sometimes improvement can simply be understanding something better, and will not show immediate results

In a nutshell,mthe game sucks, it’s hard, frustrating, and rarely makes sense........it’s why so many love it!, and drink after they play!

#79 GSDriver

GSDriver

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 493210
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 203

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:53 PM

Remember this fact, golf is hard.

Have to set realistic goals, based on your commitment to improvement and what you want out of the game.

When starting out, it's easiest to improve.  The better you get (lower your handicap) the harder it is to shave strokes.

The average male handicap is something like 17, with less than 20% (going off memory, so might not be spot on) being single digit handicaps, so give yourself some time....then again, there's always TopGolf if run out of patience.
Epic Speeder 661
Razr Fit Xtreme 4/7 woods
Epic Hyrbrid 23*
Apex Pro 5-P Recoil 110
MD Slate Forged 52
PM Grind 58
- a host of Odysseys

#80 Temple90

Temple90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:00 PM

Thanks for the advice. I went in for another lesson and am finally starting to make progress on flattening out my downswing. I was swinging from outside in so there would be some good swings followed by slices and completely missing the ball.
What I am focusing on now is keeping my back elbow tight to my body during downswing and keeping it from internally rotating. When it internally rotates I come down on the ball. I was able to hit about 35/50 balls much better after focusing on the rear elbow. I think that is making me shallow out my swing and also hit from the inside.
Now to keep practicing and improve on that.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 glk

glk

send it in jerome

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336135
GolfWRX Likes : 4609

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:06 AM

As a beginner (and actually at pretty much any level), consider doing one arm swings, both righty and lefty.    Short, only need to go back to club shaft parallel.    Trains what the arms/body/shoulders should do in the release.

After hitting the ball can put other arm on club and both should be straight.   Can do them supported at first - example, gently hold your trail elbow with your lead hand.

Here's one example of just right arm.
https://www.instagra.../p/BmeUQ_UFZMw/

#82 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:14 AM

3 years is nothing. Most people see real improvements after 5 years. It’s all in the swing. Once you get a decent swing, your scores will drop right away. At the very least, you will at least feel like you’re playing golf as opposed to paddling the ball down the fairways.

Keep working on your swing and swing speed. The longer you hold off improving your swing the longer it will take for you to improve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors