Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ella's journey

44 replies to this topic

#1 rich s

rich s

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340645
  • Handicap:6.2
GolfWRX Likes : 358

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:03 AM

So my youngest daughter Ella (13) got into golf last year. She played the junior PGA last year and this year. She caught on remarkably fast. Not a ton of drive to practice but that all changed a few months ago. Wisconsin winters and I bought a skytrak, mat net etc. Her and I started doing Superspeed training. Her max drive 6 weeks ago was 110, then 120 then 132 and Sunday she hit 143! I am so proud of all her hard work lately. We put in about 8-10 hours on the weekend. She has a cheap junior set so I splurged and just bought a Ping Prodi G driver. Her driver now is a real piece of crap so I hope this adds some forgiveness and distance. Her goal by the end of January is 160. Her grandma is going to take her putter shopping for a real putter soon. I can't tell you how fun it is to spend this time together with her. The plan is HS golf team an hopefully college.

I would love ANY tips or suggestions from those who have done this journey with their kid.

Here she is in action

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 371

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:35 AM

If I was you and you want her to play better have her take some lessons and help with her setup. I think you will see a lot gain with a few pointers. Not sure if you can do that up north until spring.  Some instructors may have indoor practice areas and I would do this in the winter if you can.   Also do as many 1 day tournaments as you can as long as it is a good experience.  Make sure there beginner tournaments until she is comfortable. Call the local pga tour and ask if your not sure they should be more then happy to help and give some names of coaches and things you need. Most of those people are pretty good about those sort of things.

#3 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 23,388 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
GolfWRX Likes : 24674

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:39 AM

That's awesome Rich!  Enjoy every minute possible with her and hopefully you have a golf partner for life!

#4 marker10

marker10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450638
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:50 AM

I would also try finding other junior golfers that she could play with vs always playing with you.  It'll be more fun for her.  If she wants to play high school golf, I do agree that you should get her in tournaments soon since she'll be in high school next year.  She'll probably struggle in the beginning but don't let that discourage her or you.  I remember thinking my daughter was a good player when she first started and then when I entered her in her first US Kids local events, I was shocked how good these kids were.  But she worked hard and in her next season, she shaved 8-10 strokes (for 9 holes).

#5 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 632

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:14 PM

For her winter reading, put this on her list. https://www.barnesan...9/2660681447402

#6 Shanks2424

Shanks2424

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439046
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:56 PM

Very solid swing. I can see her swing evolving into something very pretty to watch in the next few years as she grows up and grows more into the game keep up the great work. As you said that you enjoy the time you spend with her. I can relate my favorite time this last summer has been spending time with my 8 year old son Gavin. He has such a passion for golf. He played in his first tournament this year the Drive Chip and Putt. Even thoe he finished tired for last he had a blast and my favorite part was hearing them announce his name and seeing him so happy doing something that he loves. He was also excited my ad was there rooting him on and after the round he and my dad and I went to the driving range for a house to work on his swing with my dad my only coach over the years and that meant alot to my son.  That is why he his getting a amazing putter for Christmas this year. Keep it fun and enjoy the time, The one thing I miss is not being able to play with my dad because of his bad back. But Gavin gets to experience what I enjoyed the most of golf playing with dad and his Uncle my brother

#7 rich s

rich s

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:37 PM

So a little more about Ella. She does have a coach and right now has her working on getting weight on her right side and her chicken wing. We have made a lot of progress in the last two weeks there. Probably in 2 more weeks we will have her come down for another lesson. She did well in her junior league considering she just started playing.

My best story was from her last match. She was on the tee and pounded one. They were 60 yards away from water and a 78-80 yard carry. She is not the most confident person but walked up to her partner and said "I am just going to hit it over the water". Never batted an eye and hit it over. I was so proud of her.

Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement so far!

#8 farmer

farmer

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,433 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 3276

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:40 PM

Keep it fun.

#9 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2308

Posted 27 November 2018 - 04:03 PM

My daughter didn't pick up a club until 3 months before her 13th birthday.  She has a late school year birthday and graduated high school when she was 17.  She decided when she turned 13 that she wanted to try high school golf the following year.  Being a former coach and teacher I told her she would go all in or nothing at all.  I despised girl's who used sports to build their resume for college and put nothing into the sport.  She put in a lot of hard work at the sport and played Varsity golf all four years.  She went to the Florida HS state championship twice with her team and twice she qualified as an individual with her highest finish being 10th in the state.  She qualified when a junior to play in the USGA Girl's Junior in Paramus, NJ.  She ended up with a lot of junior experience, a solid junior resume, and now plays D1 golf.

First thing you need to know is that high school girl's golf is not played at a high level.  If HER goal is to play beyond high school golf, her high school golf resume is basically meaningless.  What is important is to play in events outside of high school.  She needs to develop a Junior Golf Scoreboard resume playing in multi-day events. In terms of possibly playing college golf she is definitely behind the 8 ball.  An average 13 year old junior golfer is driving the ball around 200 yards and are scoring mid 80's from around 5800 yards.  Looking at her swing and the distance she is hitting the ball right now she has a long way to go just to make it to the DIII or NAIA levels.  It can be achieved, she just has a lot of work to put in.

Not saying anything to scare you away, just being realistic.  Good luck in your adventure.

#10 marker10

marker10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450638
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:36 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 27 November 2018 - 04:03 PM, said:

My daughter didn't pick up a club until 3 months before her 13th birthday.  She has a late school year birthday and graduated high school when she was 17.  She decided when she turned 13 that she wanted to try high school golf the following year.  Being a former coach and teacher I told her she would go all in or nothing at all.  I despised girl's who used sports to build their resume for college and put nothing into the sport.  She put in a lot of hard work at the sport and played Varsity golf all four years.  She went to the Florida HS state championship twice with her team and twice she qualified as an individual with her highest finish being 10th in the state.  She qualified when a junior to play in the USGA Girl's Junior in Paramus, NJ.  She ended up with a lot of junior experience, a solid junior resume, and now plays D1 golf.

First thing you need to know is that high school girl's golf is not played at a high level.  If HER goal is to play beyond high school golf, her high school golf resume is basically meaningless.  What is important is to play in events outside of high school.  She needs to develop a Junior Golf Scoreboard resume playing in multi-day events. In terms of possibly playing college golf she is definitely behind the 8 ball.  An average 13 year old junior golfer is driving the ball around 200 yards and are scoring mid 80's from around 5800 yards.  Looking at her swing and the distance she is hitting the ball right now she has a long way to go just to make it to the DIII or NAIA levels.  It can be achieved, she just has a lot of work to put in.

Not saying anything to scare you away, just being realistic.  Good luck in your adventure.

Wow...that is pretty impressive to start playing at 13 and then to qualify for USGA Junior Girls and now D1.  How long did it take her to get down to a mid 70’s player?  She must’ve had the combination of just being naturally gifted, athletic and just working hard to get to that level!!  How much did she practice?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 rich s

rich s

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:32 AM

Awesome info, congrats on your daughters success! PM sent

#12 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:28 PM

View Postmarker10, on 27 November 2018 - 09:36 PM, said:

Wow...that is pretty impressive to start playing at 13 and then to qualify for USGA Junior Girls and now D1.  How long did it take her to get down to a mid 70’s player?  She must’ve had the combination of just being naturally gifted, athletic and just working hard to get to that level!!  How much did she practice?

Her first two day real tournament was 8 months after she first picked up a club.  She shot 109, 108.  Her second tournament was two weeks later and she was in the mid 90's.  By the end of the summer she shot her first tournament round in the 70's.  It took a full two years to become a mid 70's player.

We live in Florida and moved to a Golfing Community during her freshman year.  She practiced/played every day.  During the summer months and most weekends she practiced 6-8 hours a day.  During the school year she practiced from the time she got home until the time the sun went down.  There were some times when she would take off and times we had to make her go.  Had I known then what I know now, she would have been better.

#13 darter79

darter79

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 375

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:34 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 28 November 2018 - 12:28 PM, said:

Her first two day real tournament was 8 months after she first picked up a club.  She shot 109, 108.  Her second tournament was two weeks later and she was in the mid 90's.  By the end of the summer she shot her first tournament round in the 70's.  It took a full two years to become a mid 70's player.

We live in Florida and moved to a Golfing Community during her freshman year.  She practiced/played every day.  During the summer months and most weekends she practiced 6-8 hours a day.  During the school year she practiced from the time she got home until the time the sun went down.  There were some times when she would take off and times we had to make her go.  Had I known then what I know now, she would have been better.

share your secrets

#14 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:43 PM

View Postdarter79, on 28 November 2018 - 12:34 PM, said:

share your secrets

I text you every day.

#15 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
GolfWRX Likes : 2120

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:50 PM

Really great. I hope to share these kinds of moments and events with my kids some day. Good luck to you and especially to her.

WITB
D - LTD Pro HZRDUS Yellow 65X (testing Kiyoshi White 65X & Purple 65X)
3w - LTD Kai'li 70X (testing ProForce V2 75X)
3h - 818H2 ProForce V2 85X
Irons - Miura CB/MB Combo Modus 120X
GW - TBD
SW - MD4 54/12W S200 (testing Glide 2.0 54/14WS)
LW - Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS AWT Wedge
P - TP Black Copper Juno
Chrome Soft X
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

#16 leveragedbuyout

leveragedbuyout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 490044
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:21 PM

share your secrets

I believe heavy_hitter has already shared the 'secret':

“She practiced/played every day.  During the summer months and most weekends she practiced 6-8 hours a day.  During the school year she practiced from the time she got home until the time the sun went down.“

#17 kekoa

kekoa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,940 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1919

Posted 29 November 2018 - 04:27 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 28 November 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

share your secrets

I text you every day.

Solid Bro-mance :taunt:

#18 rich s

rich s

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2018 - 06:55 PM

Ella was using my SuperSpeed clubs but not a good fit so I got her the junior set. She hit a new max at 91mph tonight! She will do SuperSpeed twice a week and medicine ball and GG swing drill on saturdays. We will monitor her speed progress and tweak as needed. This will be along with her normal golf practice.

The GG drill I saw on his IG. Kid swings the club and jumps and spins. I think it will help Ella use the ground and strengthen her quads. Looked like a winner to me.

#19 leezer99

leezer99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 1025

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:15 PM

View Postrich s, on 29 November 2018 - 06:55 PM, said:

Ella was using my SuperSpeed clubs but not a good fit so I got her the junior set. She hit a new max at 91mph tonight! She will do SuperSpeed twice a week and medicine ball and GG swing drill on saturdays. We will monitor her speed progress and tweak as needed. This will be along with her normal golf practice.

The GG drill I saw on his IG. Kid swings the club and jumps and spins. I think it will help Ella use the ground and strengthen her quads. Looked like a winner to me.

For the love of God please don't try and implement drills you see online.  Those things you see any instructor teaching are for a purpose specific to that golfer.  Not to be mean but you probably don't even have a clue on how to diagnose swing flaws let alone what to implement to fix those flaws.

#20 rich s

rich s

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:22 PM

View Postleezer99, on 29 November 2018 - 07:15 PM, said:

For the love of God please don't try and implement drills you see online.  Those things you see any instructor teaching are for a purpose specific to that golfer.  Not to be mean but you probably don't even have a clue on how to diagnose swing flaws let alone what to implement to fix those flaws.

:) itís a strength/speed drill but I appreciate the concern

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 371

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:14 PM

View Postrich s, on 29 November 2018 - 07:22 PM, said:

View Postleezer99, on 29 November 2018 - 07:15 PM, said:

:) itís a strength/speed drill but I appreciate the concern

From the video you posted if you want speed your going to need to change her technique and swing a lot. I think you will gain a lot more speed if she has someone show her how to setup and swing at it. Speed isnít from the arms but the way you swing your body.

I wouldnít practice speed training with a wrong technique. There is good advice on YouTube but there is also bad advice so be careful.  The best advice I seen on youtube is videos that help you explain ball flight and why you may be hitting the club not as you expect. Understanding your ball impact is the biggest thing to achieving lower scores so they are helpful. The sad thing is a lot people have no clue on why the ball does what it does at impact including instructors.

Edited by tiger1873, 29 November 2018 - 08:15 PM.

#22 rich s

rich s

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:23 PM

She is gaining 10 yards a week so we will continue on the path we are on. Like I mentioned before she has a coach. Her and I are working on what her coach showed her in the last lesson.

#23 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:27 PM

91 with the driver?

The super speed program is supposed to be 3 times a week to do the program properly.

#24 Rohlio

Rohlio

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69345
GolfWRX Likes : 378

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:31 PM

Congratulations on this. I don't know if my daughter will like the game, but my son really does. Such a special thing as a dad to spend time with them on the course.

Enjoy it!

#25 rich s

rich s

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:36 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 29 November 2018 - 09:27 PM, said:

91 with the driver?

The super speed program is supposed to be 3 times a week to do the program properly.

91 with the light club up from 86. I am going to be doing medicine ball work with her instead on the day she would do the third SS training. I donít want to overload her. We will try this and keep tabs on her progress and adjust accordingly.

#26 rich s

rich s

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:48 PM

View PostRohlio, on 29 November 2018 - 09:31 PM, said:

Congratulations on this. I don't know if my daughter will like the game, but my son really does. Such a special thing as a dad to spend time with them on the course.

Enjoy it!

We are having a ton of fun together. She is seeing some really good improvement since we started and that has her excited. I just ordered a putting mat today and she is pumped to practice with her new putter. The goal is to just improve each week. So fun to just hang out as buds :)

#27 extrastiff

extrastiff

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 512346
GolfWRX Likes : 221

Posted 29 November 2018 - 10:01 PM

View Postrich s, on 29 November 2018 - 09:48 PM, said:

Enjoy it!

We are having a ton of fun together. She is seeing some really good improvement since we started and that has her excited. I just ordered a putting mat today and she is pumped to practice with her new putter. The goal is to just improve each week. So fun to just hang out as buds :)
as others said, keep it fun! Trips to courses with cool 13 yr old surroundings, facilitate friendly games with friends her age.  The improvement will plateau from time to time, and im pretty sure teens dont do well with that;)  so make it a fun lifestyle as well.
g400 lst 9* | HZRDUS Black 75 6.5   1" tip
f8 14.5* | Black 75 6.5
f8 18.5* | Black 75 6.5
p790 4i | TT DG X100 SL
p730 5-PW | TT DG X100 SL
hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | MODUS 105X
Columbus
jumbomax tour medium grips

#28 jj9000

jj9000

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99079
GolfWRX Likes : 2388

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:16 AM

View Postrich s, on 29 November 2018 - 09:36 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 29 November 2018 - 09:27 PM, said:

91 with the driver?

91 with the light club up from 86. I am going to be doing medicine ball work with her instead on the day she would do the third SS training. I donít want to overload her. We will try this and keep tabs on her progress and adjust accordingly.

Follow the SS program as it's laid out.  3x per week Max.  You'll see some really good gains, really quickly.

However, I must warn you.  You'll plateau, which is perfectly normal.  Your speeds will vary +/- 5 MPH on any given day.

Also, if you're not very careful, you'll pick up some bad swing habits.  Namely, going past parallel on the backswing.

I know this b/c I did the SSG program last year, and documented my progress (and warnings) over in the SSG thread.  I got up to (and documented) up to 143 MPH with the Green (light) stick.

Also, the SSG radars read ~5 MPH faster than reality.  But, if you want a general idea of how fast your real-life Driver speed is, just look at the SSG readings with the Red (heavy) stick.

Best of luck to you and your daughter!!
Sounds like you're having a good time together.  If you have questions re: SSG, shot me a PM.

#29 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 2949

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:43 AM

View Postrich s, on 29 November 2018 - 09:48 PM, said:

Enjoy it!

My daughter is in her second year of college and playing on full scholarship at a mid-tier D1. When she was 13 and just really getting going in competitive junior golf I started a thread here on GolfWRX to discuss junior girl's golf because I found it difficult to find reliable information. I'm attaching the link; perhaps you'll find some info in the thread that may be helpful:

http://www.golfwrx.c...__fromsearch__1
USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
Ping G 22 Hybrid (2 flat) - Ping Tour 80 S
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

#30 rich s

rich s

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:18 PM

Ella and I just finished week 2 of the SuperSpeed training. We both hit our longest drives ever today! She has a new driver on the way (Ping Prodi G). She did some medicine ball training and exercises from JoeyDgolf on IG as well as a GG. She is worn out and I am so proud of her effort. I think the new driver will be a much better fit for her so possibly a big jump in distance coming!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors