Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 33 votes

MACHINE Putters Picture Thread

6834 replies to this topic

#3451 DB MACHINE

DB MACHINE

Tour Winner

• Sponsors
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15142
GolfWRX Likes : 261

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:32 PM

View Postchickenpotpie, on 13 November 2011 - 12:47 PM, said:

What is the feel like on the Damascus relative to carbon or stainless?

Also, trying to get a feel for what color the Damascus is with the hot salts finish.  Is it grayish, or brownish, or a little of both?  Can't tell what color is from the background, and what's from the putter.

Hi Mike,

The Damascus is softer than Carbon or Stainless.  The makeup of the Damascus used here is four types of Carbon and one layer of Nickel, folded approx. 32 times to create the raw billet.  The layers add to the softness, as they break up vibrations as they tend to flow across the grain but not through it (nearly as much).  

A former #1 player in the world putted with two different models, and said they were some of the best feeling putters he had ever tried.  He is under contract to use another putter, otherwise I think he would have like to game one.  Maybe both!  lol

The colors are mostly blue / black, blue / grey and silver (the nickel), with very slight hints of bronze.  The different types of carbon steel have different compositions of metals, take polishing differently, and acid etch at different rates, making the various shades of blue / black and blue grey.  

There is a subtle iridescence to the colors as well as normally seem in Gunmetal Bluing, especially the deep dark bluing you get with the Hot Salts method and hot oil bath quenching afterwards.  Those colors shift in the light, and are hard to see and fully appreciate in a still photo.  

In this particular putter, you are seeing the billet copper medallion reflecting in the cavity, and in the photo of the sole, the reflection of my hand in the face at the heel as I hold the putter for the photo.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for all the posts and great comments everyone.  

-Dave

PS:  As I posted elsewhere, the way we orient the grain, running across the face, and the way the acid etches the carbon, we actually see "micro grooves" in the plateau's between the milled grooves (which are actually already grooves-within-grooves as you can see in the close-ups of George's (beruo)'s putter in the thread above).  Those micro grooves within grooves within grooves really contribute to the super soft feel.  It is still responsive though, since it is an all-metal face.  -db2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#3452 BP5168

BP5168

Rotational Goonie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72637
  • Ebay ID:Billy_Golf_Bollz
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:08 PM

You guys are killing me with the new putters ..... un ... be ... lievable.

#3453 bdhicks07

bdhicks07

Rookie

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47673
  • Ebay ID:bdhicks07
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:04 PM

I cannot wait for my Damascus to get finished. Hopefully this week. Fingers crossed.

Edited by bdhicks07, 13 November 2011 - 11:06 PM.

#3454 choeppner

choeppner

MACHINE Putters

• Sponsors
  • 9,600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14457
  • Ebay ID:choeppner99
GolfWRX Likes : 308

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:25 PM

Hey Guys,

I hope everyone is having a great day :)  I wanted to share pics of a MACHINE Custom Damascus Work In Progress :)  This MACHINE features a Damascus M1A Fixer Head and a Damascus Dot Pill Cut Plumber Neck :)  

On the Pill Cuts on the Sole and the Pill Cut on the neck we used a Ball-Nose End Mill to Highlight the Damascus Grain.

We milled a second pocket in the cavity to decrease the weight.  One the Medallion is installed, you can't see the second cavity.

Still alot of work to do to this putter, but she is coming along very nicely.

Enjoy

-Chris

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Please feel free to contact me at:
Choeppner@doglegright.com

#3455 whatshannenin

whatshannenin

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39849
GolfWRX Likes : 315

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:10 AM

View Postchoeppner, on 16 November 2011 - 10:25 PM, said:

Hey Guys,

I hope everyone is having a great day :)  I wanted to share pics of a MACHINE Custom Damascus Work In Progress :)  This MACHINE features a Damascus M1A Fixer Head and a Damascus Dot Pill Cut Plumber Neck :)  

On the Pill Cuts on the Sole and the Pill Cut on the neck we used a Ball-Nose End Mill to Highlight the Damascus Grain.

We milled a second pocket in the cavity to decrease the weight.  One the Medallion is installed, you can't see the second cavity.

Still alot of work to do to this putter, but she is coming along very nicely.

Enjoy

-Chris

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh my word!!!! I can't wait to get to the Office next week to see what I've missed out on, SWEET Putter!  The Damascus heads are so soft too and feel amazing.  :coolpics:

#3456 bdhicks07

bdhicks07

Rookie

• 64 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47673
  • Ebay ID:bdhicks07

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:04 AM

Can't wait to get that beauty in my hands. I am like a kid on Christmas morning. Thanks for all the hard work gang.

#3457 Bags McGowen

Bags McGowen

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 145261
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

Machine never fails to amaze me

#3458 WVP

WVP

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113828
GolfWRX Likes : 385

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:10 PM

View Postballfish, on 24 October 2011 - 10:04 PM, said:

Hi Chris,
I am the new owner of this jewel. It look like I finally found perfection. I am feeling like a little boy, who is waiting for Christmas present. I cannot wait to hold this magic thing in my hands. Putting is best part of my game. I am using Yes Donna for a couple of years. But with this "thing" I am looking forward to lower my score. 8 days trainings camp are in front of me. I will spend 10 Hours every single day on golf course.
Weather forecast in Mallorca (beautiful Island in Europe) is good ..... it could not be better.
I will keep you updated and let you know results

I AM HAPPY Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

best regards

siiiii

Congrats, that thing is BE-eautiful.

Cobra Bio Cell – 9.5°
Tour Edge CB5  – 16.5°
Mizuno JPX 825 – 22°
PING G30 – 5-UW
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° ATV
Bettinardi KM1

#3459 GUMBINGER

GUMBINGER

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103701
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

Thanksgiving is fast approaching - will I have something to be thankful for???  :rolleyes:

#3460 weaver93

weaver93

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56707
  • Ebay ID:weaver93
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:13 PM

I don't like to post pictures prior to being completed for fear of bad mojo, but Dave has been playing catch-up in the shop with the new mill setup and the move and I have been excited about this project since its inception almost a year ago.

Dave, Chris, and I started on the idea of these putters almost a year ago. I don't know if he has done anything quite like them before, but I do know I hadn't seen a Machine in recent history that had this look.

I wanted a copper putter because I love the feel, but I always worried about the softness of the material. I wanted something copper in feel, but more resistant to dings. After talking to Dave and Chris we decided to try an insert putter. I know it won't be as soft as pure copper, but with the VMG I felt it would be close while giving me the durability of stainless. Dave took the idea and ran with it. I must say the results are well beyond my expectations!

Here is the picture of the welded hand bent hosel prior to final polish and finish. It will be flamed with some of the areas bead blasted to keep down glare. It will have a CNC grip with a Frequency Filtered shaft. The other will be a modular center shafted M2A Converter with the finish Dave chooses, standard grip and shaft.

Dave and Chris both made this one of the coolest projects I have ever been involved with! I would like to thank them both for listening to the endless stream of ideas and modifications I pelted them with and turning out two of the nicest putters I have to date. "To date", Dave, so get ready!

MP_M2A_Copper_Insert_PT_Weaver_WIP_12h__1.jpg

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#3461 jlww3golf

jlww3golf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2558

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:37 AM

How much does the cavity medallion weigh in the various materials? Does it help to increase MOI/heel-toe weighting? Or is it purely visual?

While I'm thinking of it, what metals are you offering putters in these days?

Jlww3

#3462 DB MACHINE

DB MACHINE

Tour Winner

• Sponsors
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:55 AM

View Postjlww3golf, on 19 November 2011 - 01:37 AM, said:

How much does the cavity medallion weigh in the various materials? Does it help to increase MOI/heel-toe weighting? Or is it purely visual?

While I'm thinking of it, what metals are you offering putters in these days?

Jlww3

Thanks for your interest!  The Medallions weigh 3 grams in standard aerospace aluminum alloy, 8 grams in steel and Damascus, 9 in brass and 12 grams in copper.  

Since the alloy is lighter than the steel it replaces (if it were a solid thick face), it does decrease the weight in the center (cavity) and increases the relative proportion of weight in the heel and toe portions, increasing the MOI.  That's not a big difference (net 5 gram change), but when you add it up with other features such as our South Beach Cuts (15 grams in the base head and up to 25 grams in back flanges), Heavy / Beefy flanges and bumpers,  and optional Tungsten weights in the heel and toe sections, among other custom options, these improvements combine to become even more significant.  

When you use steel the weight is virtually the same (unless you are looking at the triple cavity in the latest Damascus putter above, which is lighter due to the additional pill cut).  Copper would make it heavier in the center.  

Certainly these options can be seen as aesthetic also, and they offer a new level of customization and personalization (including being able to stamp or engrave your name or logo even.  Also for those that want to add your name, but may decide later to sell or trade, you can simply add a blank medallion, or the next owner can swap them out and personalize his or her own.  Finally, to give you a preview into the future, additional custom options will be available that attach in place of the medallions and add new alignment and weighting features....  

We currently offer our putters in 303 Stainless, 1018 Carbon Steel, Aluminum Bronze, Billet Copper, Custom Forged Damascus and various components in 6061 and 7000 series Aerospace Aluminum Alloys.  I'm also experimenting with some Mokume and other more exotic materials for both putters and our new Green Tools and Ball Markers for 2012...

Thanks again for your interest!

-Dave Billings

#3463 DB MACHINE

DB MACHINE

Tour Winner

• Sponsors
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:56 PM

View Postweaver93, on 18 November 2011 - 11:13 PM, said:

I don't like to post pictures prior to being completed for fear of bad mojo, but Dave has been playing catch-up in the shop with the new mill setup and the move and I have been excited about this project since its inception almost a year ago.

Dave, Chris, and I started on the idea of these putters almost a year ago. I don't know if he has done anything quite like them before, but I do know I hadn't seen a Machine in recent history that had this look.

I wanted a copper putter because I love the feel, but I always worried about the softness of the material. I wanted something copper in feel, but more resistant to dings. After talking to Dave and Chris we decided to try an insert putter. I know it won't be as soft as pure copper, but with the VMG I felt it would be close while giving me the durability of stainless. Dave took the idea and ran with it. I must say the results are well beyond my expectations!

Here is the picture of the welded hand bent hosel prior to final polish and finish. It will be flamed with some of the areas bead blasted to keep down glare. It will have a CNC grip with a Frequency Filtered shaft. The other will be a modular center shafted M2A Converter with the finish Dave chooses, standard grip and shaft.

Dave and Chris both made this one of the coolest projects I have ever been involved with! I would like to thank them both for listening to the endless stream of ideas and modifications I pelted them with and turning out two of the nicest putters I have to date. "To date", Dave, so get ready!

Mark,

Thanks for the post and very kind comments.  The pleasure has been all ours, as with all your builds, and all the great calls texts and emails.  The best part of this site and community are the friendships we've made here, and are still making seemingly every day.  

Thanks for trusting in us with your ideas and dreams for the ultimate custom putter, and helping us try to bring them to reality.  Really looking forward to what you think about these two new beauties!  

All the best,

-Dave

#3464 DB MACHINE

DB MACHINE

Tour Winner

• Sponsors
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

Sneak Peek!

:)

MP_M40_Proto_Damascus_LM_CSO_1c.jpg

#3465 DB MACHINE

DB MACHINE

Tour Winner

• Sponsors
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

MP_M40_Proto_Damascus_LM_CSO_1c2.jpg

MP_M40_Proto_Nvy_Brass_LM_CSO_1s.jpg

A few more details:

It's Patented.  (USPN D400,942)

Look!  I copied my own design!  lol.   Now that's Retro!  (revival?).

The original model won the second oldest Open Championship in golf....

And multiple wins, and Hall of Fame players on the major US Tours.

Adjustable weights, interchangeable hosels, interchangeable flanges (multiple designs from smaller, pear shaped, to larger, high and super high MOI!)...

Multimaterials... Multi Finishes.   Multifunctional.  

Works beautifully with, and interchanges with Belly and Long, and all Lefty models too.  

More to follow!  :)

-DB

PS: This is a Prototype...  Actual models won't be this shiny, I promise!  (unless anyone wants them that way! )  -db2

#3466 choeppner

choeppner

MACHINE Putters

• Sponsors
  • 9,600 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:50 PM

Hey Guys,

I hope everyone is having a great day :)  I wanted to share pics of one MACHINE that is almost ready to head to it's new owner :)

This is a 5.0 MACHINE M2A Converter with a 1018 Carbon Head, a 1018 Carbon Carbon Plumber Neck and a Aloy Double Fat Back Flange. The Medallion is a Damascus Medallion with a custom torch finish :)

The head, neck and flange have all been plated with our e-nickel plate :)

Enjoy :)

-Chris

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3467 choeppner

choeppner

MACHINE Putters

• Sponsors
  • 9,600 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:58 PM

Hey Guys,

I wanted to share a couple of more spy pics of the Prototype M40 :)  This one is with the Brass Medallion.

Enjoy

-Chris

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3468 weaver93

weaver93

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56707
  • Ebay ID:weaver93
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

View PostDB MACHINE, on 19 November 2011 - 06:41 PM, said:

You just had to put it out there with the modular center shaft? Really? Thanks Dave!

I really like the looks of that with the modular center shaft hosel. What does that weigh in at?

Edited by weaver93, 19 November 2011 - 09:00 PM.

#3469 choeppner

choeppner

MACHINE Putters

• Sponsors
  • 9,600 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:07 PM

Hey Mark,

This one weighs in at approximately 350 Grams as pictured :)

And yes....  We did it with the Modular Center Shaft just to tease you. LOL

-Chris
Posted Image

#3470 blade_man

blade_man

Major Winner

• 2,536 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47994
  • Ebay ID:napaman
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

View Postweaver93, on 18 November 2011 - 11:13 PM, said:

Attachment MP_M2A_Copper_Insert_PT_Weaver_WIP_12h__1.jpg

Mark,

When you get this call me and I may just come see you just to putt with it!

FC

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#3471 choeppner

choeppner

MACHINE Putters

• Sponsors
  • 9,600 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:13 PM

Hey Guys,

I hope everyone is having a great day.  I wanted to share some more pics at address of the new M40 :)

The first picture shows the M40 head with a double bend shaft

The second shows the M40 head with a Modular Center Shaft (shaft in socket).  

The third shows the M40 head with the new Modular Center Shaft (shaft-over-stem)

-Chris

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3472 dablph

dablph

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76390
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:00 AM

View Postchoeppner, on 07 November 2011 - 08:39 PM, said:

Hey Guys,

I hope everyone is having a great day :)  I wanted to share some pics of a MACHINE that is almost complete and ready to ship to it's new owner :)

This is a Limited Edition MACHINE 4.0 M1A Adjuster with a Damascus Steel Head, and a Damascus Steel Plumber Neck.  This customer wanted a Custom Sight Triangle on the topline and custom stamping on the neck :)

The Head and Neck  have all been finished in our Hot Salts Gun Metal Blue Finish :)  The Damascus Medallion was given a custom Rainbow Torch Finish :)

-Chris

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm thinking upgrade........wow, just wow.

Well, I used to have the sweetest MACHINE.....

Chris, send me some $$ info on getting my "garage" cleaned.  She's been well used and isn't as prestine as in the pic below.

Posted Image

#3473 ndlax2340

ndlax2340

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82148
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:33 AM

View Postchoeppner, on 22 November 2011 - 08:13 PM, said:

Hey Guys,

I hope everyone is having a great day.  I wanted to share some more pics at address of the new M40 :)

The first picture shows the M40 head with a double bend shaft

The second shows the M40 head with a Modular Center Shaft (shaft in socket).  

The third shows the M40 head with the new Modular Center Shaft (shaft-over-stem)

-Chris

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The modular center shaft looks amazing! I can't believe how much it looks like a regular center shaft at address. This thread is awesome, if only I had the coin to drop on one of thesePosted Image

#3474 choeppner

choeppner

MACHINE Putters

• Sponsors
  • 9,600 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:45 AM

Hey Guys,

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving :)  I wanted to share some pics of a MACHINE that was just completed.

This is a MACHINE 4.0 M2A Converter with a Damascus Steel Head, a Damascus Steel Beefy Back Flange and a Mosaic Damascus Modular Center Shaft Hosel.  The Medallion is a Alloy Medallion.

The Head, Neck and Flange have all been finished in our Hot Salts Gun Metal Blue Finish :)

Enjoy

-Chris

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3475 w8liftr

w8liftr

w8lifting, club swinging, Metal Monster!!!

• 1,911 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29250
  • Ebay ID:w8liftr
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:51 AM

WOW! Looks like it was made for mePosted Image

#3476 elmo17

elmo17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118037
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:32 AM

Great looking putters, keep all the pictures comming. Can't wit to get my Fixer that I have on order.

#3477 choeppner

choeppner

MACHINE Putters

• Sponsors
  • 9,600 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:26 PM

View Postw8liftr, on 28 November 2011 - 08:51 AM, said:

You know what....  It's your lucky day Tommy. LOL  We can build you one like this if you would like :)
Posted Image

#3478 choeppner

choeppner

MACHINE Putters

• Sponsors
  • 9,600 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:35 PM

Hey Guys,

I hope everyone had a great Monday :)  I know....That's an oxymoron. LOL

I wanted to share pics of a MACHINE Damascus Custom that was just finished for a customer :)

This MACHINE features a Damascus Steel Head and a Damascus Steel Dot Pill Cut Plumber Neck.  The Finish on this MACHINE is our Hot Salts Gunmetal Blue Finish.

This MACHINE also features Custom Pill Cuts on the sole to reduce the headweight.

Enjoy

-Chris

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3479 w8liftr

w8liftr

w8lifting, club swinging, Metal Monster!!!

• 1,911 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29250
  • Ebay ID:w8liftr
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:22 PM

View Postchoeppner, on 28 November 2011 - 08:26 PM, said:

You know what....  It's your lucky day Tommy. LOL  We can build you one like this if you would like :)

Shoot me an email. I might need a good reason besides moving to sell off some clubs in my garage.

#3480 choeppner

choeppner

MACHINE Putters

• Sponsors
  • 9,600 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:58 PM

View Postw8liftr, on 28 November 2011 - 09:22 PM, said:

View Postchoeppner, on 28 November 2011 - 08:26 PM, said:

Shoot me an email. I might need a good reason besides moving to sell off some clubs in my garage.
Will Do :)  

-Chris

Posted Image

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors