Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Help understand "fire the hips"

79 replies to this topic

#61 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 474

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:52 PM

Warning.  Mid-capper opinion incoming...

I’ve gained a lot of clubhead speed in the last year.  A portion of that was due to using hip rotation as a foundation on which to rotate my trunk and arms.  Layers of rotation creating speed.

Having said that I personally don’t like the term ‘firing the hips’ at all, largely because it gave me the idea of some sort of spasmodic ‘power twitch’ that did absolutely nothing for me.

As I gain speed, hip rotation is something I feel and utilize more and more, but it’s not some sort of explosive pyrotechnic phenomenon, it’s simply a controlled buildup of rotational speed in the hips that’s essentially driven by the legs and glutes.

The way I feel it best outside of a driver swing is to simply take a golf posture with no club and put my hands in my pockets.  That locks out trunk rotation and arm rotation for me.  Now, if I make a backswing move followed by a through-swing move that way it’s all hip rotation, and is really easy to feel in that isolated way.  For me, there’s certainly more rotation and a greater buildup of speed than there was when I was 15 mph slower.  But, I feel that as a leg/glute driven move... not as a ‘firing’.

Finally, where the hips finish at impact is surely based on how you sequence, how the various movements in the swing have to match up to hit a straight shot, and when and how hard the upper segments are rotated.  I’m not sure the position at impact (e.g. square) necessarily proves that the hips weren’t effectively rotated in the golf swing.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 FourTops

FourTops

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500886
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 927

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:58 PM

View PostPorscheFan, on 04 December 2018 - 10:52 PM, said:

I’ve gained a lot of clubhead speed in the last year.  A portion of that was due to using hip rotation as a foundation on which to rotate my trunk and arms.  Layers of rotation creating speed.

Having said that I personally don’t like the term ‘firing the hips’ at all, largely because it gave me the idea of some sort of spasmodic ‘power twitch’ that did absolutely nothing for me.

As I gain speed, hip rotation is something I feel and utilize more and more, but it’s not some sort of explosive pyrotechnic phenomenon, it’s simply a controlled buildup of rotational speed in the hips that’s essentially driven by the legs and glutes.

The way I feel it best outside of a driver swing is to simply take a golf posture with no club and put my hands in my pockets.  That locks out trunk rotation and arm rotation for me.  Now, if I make a backswing move followed by a through-swing move that way it’s all hip rotation, and is really easy to feel in that isolated way.  For me, there’s certainly more rotation and a greater buildup of speed than there was when I was 15 mph slower.  But, I feel that as a leg/glute driven move... not as a ‘firing’.

Finally, where the hips finish at impact is surely based on how you sequence, how the various movements in the swing have to match up to hit a straight shot, and when and how hard the upper segments are rotated.  I’m not sure the position at impact (e.g. square) necessarily proves that the hips weren’t effectively rotated in the golf swing.

Hey PorscheFan...shouldn't it feel like you're "stepping in" to throw a ball...but without the step-in per se?

#63 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:38 PM

View PostFourTops, on 04 December 2018 - 10:58 PM, said:

View PostPorscheFan, on 04 December 2018 - 10:52 PM, said:

Hey PorscheFan...shouldn't it feel like you're "stepping in" to throw a ball...but without the step-in per se?

Good question.  That’s a difficult one for me, because I’m a lefty who plays golf right-handed, so throwing a ball is actually an opposite move for me.  I’m basically a biomechanical mess.

My guess is - if I threw a ball right-handed - that the hip movement in the golf swing feels even more leg-driven and rotational to me than throwing a ball.  Maybe more like hurling a very heavy med ball at a wall?

The hands-in-pockets thing really does it for me in terms of isolating that movement.  I wish somebody had’ve told me to feel the movement that way two years ago.  It would’ve saved me a lot of time that I spent chasing a ‘firing’ feeling...

#64 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:12 PM

View Postglk, on 30 November 2018 - 11:31 AM, said:

Bought the Sheftic pressure board. Really looking forward to getting it.   I've worked pretty much this season on transition and pressure - but frankly the lift the lead leg drill doesn't really work for me and finding a nice little downhill lie is hard to do at a range. Board not only gives the sense of the downhill move to start the swing but  helps with posture/balance and sequencing. Saw it on the AMG video on fire the hips that I posted. Mark will get you onto his facebook page where he has further information on how to use the board, clips from lessons with it, etc. He already has a handful of video on his website about it's use.

I think I've watched every video that's publicly available, and I can't wait to hear your thoughts when you get this.  I'm working on the same things and I still have issues sometimes leaving pressure on the trail foot specifically with irons.

#65 golfstripe

golfstripe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 514988
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:20 PM

Not a big fan of firing the hips, don't need to anyway.

Edited by golfstripe, 05 December 2018 - 01:39 PM.

#66 glk

glk

send it in jerome

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336135
GolfWRX Likes : 4570

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:32 PM

View PostPorscheFan, on 05 December 2018 - 01:12 PM, said:

View Postglk, on 30 November 2018 - 11:31 AM, said:

Bought the Sheftic pressure board. Really looking forward to getting it.   I've worked pretty much this season on transition and pressure - but frankly the lift the lead leg drill doesn't really work for me and finding a nice little downhill lie is hard to do at a range. Board not only gives the sense of the downhill move to start the swing but  helps with posture/balance and sequencing. Saw it on the AMG video on fire the hips that I posted. Mark will get you onto his facebook page where he has further information on how to use the board, clips from lessons with it, etc. He already has a handful of video on his website about it's use.

I think I've watched every video that's publicly available, and I can't wait to hear your thoughts when you get this.  I'm working on the same things and I still have issues sometimes leaving pressure on the trail foot specifically with irons.
I'll let you know though the weather here has taken a turn and not certain I'll be able to get out to range and may be left with indoor work.    Was suppose to ship Monday or Tuesday and I just sent email to Mark asking if it is on it's way.

On another note, my other aid for the off season (and wow, I haven't bought anything other than rope, sticks, small beach ball, pool noodles, etc as training aids) is the visio MI putting template - this thing is money - I have worked with it for about a week - pretty much indoors on carpet - did get to play 9 on Monday - and though 9 isn't much to judge by I did have really good distance control and start line - no 3 wiggles - I'm able to work for a few minutes with the template then putt about 20 feet across my family room carpet and nail a table leg.   Just used a cheap protractor to measure my Scotty at 72* and got the 18* template - big fix was I was setting up with too much toe up - explains my left misses.    Got this one from watching video on Andrew Jensen's vlog where he talked about his training training aids (only one's he paid for is the template and gabe golf everything else is pretty much like me, DIY.

#67 ebrasmus21

ebrasmus21

Serial Shanker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250392
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 3373

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:37 PM

Just curious, anyone know why FourTops got banned?
G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

#68 Krt22

Krt22

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,944 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261822
GolfWRX Likes : 2860

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:48 PM

View Postebrasmus21, on 05 December 2018 - 02:37 PM, said:

He got a little saucy in a PXG thread. He praised Parsons and Donald Trump and said we all should too, then started name calling when people didn't agree with him. At least I'm assuming that was the straw that broke the camel's back, given he tried to derail just about every thread he entered. Good riddance!

#69 ebrasmus21

ebrasmus21

Serial Shanker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250392
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 3373

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:59 PM

View PostKrt22, on 05 December 2018 - 02:48 PM, said:

View Postebrasmus21, on 05 December 2018 - 02:37 PM, said:

He got a little saucy in a PXG thread. He praised Parsons and Donald Trump and said we all should too, then started name calling when people didn't agree with him. At least I'm assuming that was the straw that broke the camel's back, given he tried to derail just about every thread he entered. Good riddance!

It's always interesting seeing those that fly a little too close to the sun.
G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

#70 glk

glk

send it in jerome

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:34 PM

Got the sheftic board today. So . . . It's wobbly so I first got on it with no club and just went from front foot pressure to back foot. Then grabbed a club and did some slow motion.

Learned right away that I am inconsistent with really get my pressure shifted back - though it might have just been getting comfortable on the board. Second, the shift forward is less, to me, than I expected.  I think I was trying to move too much pressure too quickly forward. Third, it's great to train keeping those arms up and sequence - if you start those arms down before you move pressure forward then you are going to keep the pressure back - so you get feedback when the board rocks forward that it's go time. And it does support the sense of going downhill to start - just  lean into a little bit.  Feels very smooth in transition the more I get on it.  I can also feel myself getting to my back foot by p3 - you feel the board going down. I can see, with work, how one can learn to get the pressure going forward right before the backswing ends on this board, if that's a goal.   Few swings on the board, few off the board.

Downside is it's not something you can put into your bag so if you are going to hit balls at a range then you'd need to get it back to your car or somewhere if you plan to play afterwards.   If it came with a pressure mat it'd be damn near perfect.   LOL.

Another good piece of feedback form the board is that it can spin - so you can spin it in your backswing and transition.    If it spins in transition then definitely someone is "firing the hips".

Edited by glk, 05 December 2018 - 05:00 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 bogeypro

bogeypro

The Original Bogeypro

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,953 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3842
  • Handicap:+2
GolfWRX Likes : 1619

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:49 PM

Iím still understanding what firing the hips means.
Taylormade M1 440 9.5* tour (2017) w/Speeder 757 Evo ii X
Titleist 917 f2 15* w/Diamana S+ 70s
Titleist 718 TMB 3-pw w/PXi 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM7 50f/56m/60m
Scotty Cameron Newport

#72 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:01 PM

View Postglk, on 05 December 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

Got the sheftic board today.     So . . .     It's wobbly so I first got on it with no club and just went from front foot pressure to back foot.    Then grabbed a club and did some slow motion.

Learned right away that I am inconsistent with really get my pressure shifted back - though it might have just been getting comfortable on the board.    Second, the shift forward is less, to me, than I expected.  I think I was trying to move too much pressure too quickly forward.    Third, it's great to train keeping those arms up and sequence - if you start those arms down before you move pressure forward then you are going to keep the pressure back - so you get feedback when the board rocks forward that it's go time.    And it does support the sense of going downhill to start - just  lean into a little bit.  Feels very smooth in transition the more I get on it.  I can also feel myself getting to my back foot by p3 - you feel the board going down.     I can see, with work, how one can learn to get the pressure going forward right before the backswing ends on this board, if that's a goal.   Few swings on the board, few off the board.    

Downside is it's not something you can put into your bag so if you are going to hit balls at a range then you'd need to get it back to your car or somewhere if you plan to play afterwards.   If it came with a pressure mat it'd be damn near perfect.   LOL.

Another good piece of feedback form the board is that it can spin - so you can spin it in your backswing and transition.    If it spins in transition then definitely someone is "firing the hips".

Fantastic!  Between this and GravityFit I think Iíll be set with my two major areas for improvement (posture and pressure shift)

Iím pretty sure Iíd be like Bambi on ice skates when I first used the Sheftic board.  I never thought about the possibility of it spinning... thatís a really good point that I never considered.  Getting pressure forward right before the backswing ends is my goal, too.  Iíve hurt my knee a few times from leaving too much weight on the trail foot and then pivoting.

I saw a video where somebody used the Sheftic board and then jumped on Boditrak and was able to demonstrate how it cleaned up their pressure shift.  Going to try to find it tonight...

Edited by PorscheFan, 05 December 2018 - 07:02 PM.

#73 Krt22

Krt22

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,944 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:07 PM

Got the sheftic board today. So . . . It's wobbly so I first got on it with no club and just went from front foot pressure to back foot. Then grabbed a club and did some slow motion.

Learned right away that I am inconsistent with really get my pressure shifted back - though it might have just been getting comfortable on the board. Second, the shift forward is less, to me, than I expected.  I think I was trying to move too much pressure too quickly forward. Third, it's great to train keeping those arms up and sequence - if you start those arms down before you move pressure forward then you are going to keep the pressure back - so you get feedback when the board rocks forward that it's go time. And it does support the sense of going downhill to start - just  lean into a little bit.  Feels very smooth in transition the more I get on it.  I can also feel myself getting to my back foot by p3 - you feel the board going down. I can see, with work, how one can learn to get the pressure going forward right before the backswing ends on this board, if that's a goal.   Few swings on the board, few off the board.

Another good piece of feedback form the board is that it can spin - so you can spin it in your backswing and transition. If it spins in transition then definitely someone is "firing the hips".

If you don't mind measuring, how wide is the square stock on the bottom used as the pivot point?

#74 glk

glk

send it in jerome

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:15 PM

View PostKrt22, on 05 December 2018 - 07:07 PM, said:

Got the sheftic board today.     So . . .     It's wobbly so I first got on it with no club and just went from front foot pressure to back foot.    Then grabbed a club and did some slow motion.

Learned right away that I am inconsistent with really get my pressure shifted back - though it might have just been getting comfortable on the board.    Second, the shift forward is less, to me, than I expected.  I think I was trying to move too much pressure too quickly forward.    Third, it's great to train keeping those arms up and sequence - if you start those arms down before you move pressure forward then you are going to keep the pressure back - so you get feedback when the board rocks forward that it's go time.    And it does support the sense of going downhill to start - just  lean into a little bit.  Feels very smooth in transition the more I get on it.  I can also feel myself getting to my back foot by p3 - you feel the board going down.     I can see, with work, how one can learn to get the pressure going forward right before the backswing ends on this board, if that's a goal.   Few swings on the board, few off the board.    

If you don't mind measuring, how wide is the square stock on the bottom used as the pivot point?
Sorry but no.

#75 Krt22

Krt22

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,944 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:30 PM

Fair enough =)

#76 bogeypro

bogeypro

The Original Bogeypro

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,953 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3842
  • Handicap:+2
GolfWRX Likes : 1619

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:53 PM

View Postglk, on 05 December 2018 - 07:15 PM, said:

View PostKrt22, on 05 December 2018 - 07:07 PM, said:

Sorry but no.

You work for the company or something?
Taylormade M1 440 9.5* tour (2017) w/Speeder 757 Evo ii X
Titleist 917 f2 15* w/Diamana S+ 70s
Titleist 718 TMB 3-pw w/PXi 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM7 50f/56m/60m
Scotty Cameron Newport

#77 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:08 PM

I found that video.  Not high production standards, but good content.  You can see that twist coming from a rotation before a pressure shift...

#78 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:48 PM

View Postbogeypro, on 05 December 2018 - 09:53 PM, said:

You work for the company or something?

Personal opinion, but these niche training aids are generally made by really smart individuals, are sold at modest prices, sell in low volumes, and probably provide a modest and justifiable income bump to the inventor.

I love making stuff just because I enjoy it, but when it comes to something like the Sheftic I’ll be buying the original and will be happy to pay every penny of the 115 bucks, or whatever it costs.  Personally, that seems pretty fair to me.

#79 Krt22

Krt22

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,944 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:25 PM

I'm a design engineer and love to tinker in the garage, so I build what I can and buy what I can't, many times just to test the concept before dropping the coin. Some aides are quite innovative and hard to replicate, some spawn from a quick need and are then marketed.

I've made quite a few well known aides and ultimately bought the real deal after testing the value (for me). :pardon:

#80 elthrill

elthrill

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 512582
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:59 AM

so many factors in the role of the hips in a golf swing that are impossible to speak to on the whole.  its a really individual thing that is determined by your body and your swing and your grip.  totally individual.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors