Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Why isn't there a stronger correlation between fairways hit and GIR?


79 replies to this topic

#31 c7015

c7015

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 234573
  • Joined: 03/05/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 618

Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:11 PM

View PostLongWayToGo, on 24 November 2018 - 12:42 AM, said:

I was looking at the stats for fairways hit and GIR and I didn't see a very strong correlation between the two, which I found surprising. It would seem as though the guys who hit fairways should also be able to find more greens than the rest of the field. Would anyone be able to shed some light on this phenomena?

I would hypothesize that because they hit the fairway they get more aggressive to a pin (scoring opportunity) vs the ones who miss and adjust the goal to the center of the green (GIR objective).

Edit and Mark Brodie is the guy who can likely shed more light on this subject.

Edited by c7015, 25 November 2018 - 01:15 PM.

915 D3 Rip Phenom 70g (S Flex)
913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
712 U 4 Iron | 714 AP2 5 Iron
714cb  6-PW
Vokey 52, 56, 60
SC Newport 2.5

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 McCann1

McCann1

    Tour Player

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 410936
  • Joined: 02/03/2016
  • Location:Wilmington, NC
  • Ebay ID:igolfandguitar
GolfWRX Likes : 2142

Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:58 PM

View Postshoot4par, on 25 November 2018 - 01:07 PM, said:

View PostMcCann1, on 25 November 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

You don't get it. It has been proven closer in the rough is similar if not better than further away in the fairway.

On a really difficult golf course id rather be in the fairway,  having an idea on how my ball will react on the green then further in the rough (case in point Oakmont, Bethpage, (Tournament conditions, FAST greens)) (IMHO). Also one can't offer an opinion like that without statistical evidence (who are we even talking about- tour players? quality amateurs?).
the courses you mentioned are US Open courses. Thatís an anomaly. we are also talking about tour players. The guys OP was talking about when he noticed fairways hit and GIR arenít directly correlated. I would go and bring statistical evidence but Iím too lazy to go on pgatour site and look up the evidence again. I already went over it with my coach when we talked about how improving fairways hit was less important than trying to gain 5mph clubhead speed and working on proximity with wedges. I believe Mark Broadie, the creator of the strokes gained statistic, wrote a book explaining in further detail

Edited by McCann1, 25 November 2018 - 02:03 PM.

Enjoy the chase.

2

#33 jvincent

jvincent

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37449
  • Joined: 08/15/2007
  • Location:Ottawa, Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 25 November 2018 - 02:12 PM

View PostMcCann1, on 25 November 2018 - 01:58 PM, said:

I believe Mark Broadie, the creator of the strokes gained statistic, wrote a book explaining in further detail

Broadie's book, Every Shot Counts, was a pretty thorough analysis of scoring on the PGA Tour and the research was the basis for the Strokes Gained stats.

In a nutshell, the statistics showed that over the long term being closer was better than being in the fairway. There are a few things that people forget about his analysis;

1. It's a long term statistical analysis of PGA Tour shotlink data so there will be specific scenarios (6" rough or knee high fescue) where the results aren't valid.

2. To properly do strokes gained, you need to be comparing a pretty decent set of data to average out effects like weather, different green complexes, etc.

Edited by jvincent, 25 November 2018 - 02:12 PM.


3

#34 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    Happy Holidays!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 15,843 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 12313

Posted 25 November 2018 - 02:53 PM

View Postjvincent, on 25 November 2018 - 02:12 PM, said:

View PostMcCann1, on 25 November 2018 - 01:58 PM, said:

I believe Mark Broadie, the creator of the strokes gained statistic, wrote a book explaining in further detail

Broadie's book, Every Shot Counts, was a pretty thorough analysis of scoring on the PGA Tour and the research was the basis for the Strokes Gained stats.

In a nutshell, the statistics showed that over the long term being closer was better than being in the fairway. There are a few things that people forget about his analysis;

1. It's a long term statistical analysis of PGA Tour shotlink data so there will be specific scenarios (6" rough or knee high fescue) where the results aren't valid.

2. To properly do strokes gained, you need to be comparing a pretty decent set of data to average out effects like weather, different green complexes, etc.

And the am data was very limited and the results for pros don't necessarily translate into as many meaningful conclusions or recipes for ams for a number of reasons.

Still, for tour pros, longer generally better off the tee and McCann is correct about GIRs (and he ought to know).
"We've Got That Holiday Feeling!"

4

#35 lowheel

lowheel

    LOWHEEL

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,952 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193008
  • Joined: 07/18/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 5469

Posted 25 November 2018 - 03:14 PM

View PostMcCann1, on 24 November 2018 - 01:39 AM, said:

View PostLongWayToGo, on 24 November 2018 - 01:22 AM, said:

View Postshoot4par, on 24 November 2018 - 12:55 AM, said:

Drivers ideally hit slightly on the upswing, irons are normally leaned and hit down on... Just a thought. I'm a good driver of the golf ball who doesn't hit the irons particularly well from a GIR perspective.

I understand the mechanical differences between a driver and iron swing. For me, the more fairways I hit, the easier it is for me to hit greens. Maybe I should start keeping a better record of my fairway/GIR ratio.
that doesn't matter. This year my fairways hit would've ranked me around 60th on tour but I was ranked 4th in GIR. Why? Because when I hit it 320 I usually missed the fairway but I was hitting SW into the green when most of my playing partners hit 8i or more. Yes being in the fairway certainly helps, but there's a point where you're so close to the green it doesn't matter. You should keep track of strokes gained vs outdated Fairways, Greens, Putts imo

Im guessing you also had better angles into the green as well a good majority of the time.You are absolutely right about the short irons.Pelz did that study of pro golfers and theyre better off with a wedge in their hands even out of the rough. The advantage falls in the 25%+ range or gir.Thats a significant advantage on the field.


5

#36 PGArox

PGArox

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,332 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89725
  • Joined: 07/26/2009
  • Location:Los Angeles, CA USA
GolfWRX Likes : 5884

Posted 25 November 2018 - 03:43 PM

As it relates to the PGA TOUR (which is what the OP referenced) the lack of correlation can be explained largely by three factors ... the set up of the courses, the length of the courses, and the distance players are getting off the tee.

Most of these guys have nothing more than an 8 iron into the majority of par 4 greens, and coming out of very manageable rough, hitting a green in regulation just isn't a stiff challenge these days.

If the courses on TOUR averaged 7,800-8,000 yards long, and the rough grown to four or five inches high, you would most certainly see a greater correlation.

Not saying that I'm advocating such things. ;)

Edited by PGArox, 25 November 2018 - 03:45 PM.


6

#37 bucky316

bucky316

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3514
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
  • Location:Madison, WI
GolfWRX Likes : 273

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:04 PM

GIR is one thing but $$$ is made from the proximity stats.... for various reasons it's easier to hit the approach closer from the fairway than the rough....

7

#38 80sFredriksson

80sFredriksson

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477578
  • Joined: 08/04/2017
  • Location:Sweden
  • Handicap:-
GolfWRX Likes : 172

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:10 PM

2018 Stenson nr 1 on both lists but I dont think there is really any point to look for corrolation between the two lists it just leaves way to many factors out

8

#39 pinhigh27

pinhigh27

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73898
  • Joined: 01/27/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 2887

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:11 PM

View Postbucky316, on 25 November 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

GIR is one thing but $$$ is made from the proximity stats.... for various reasons it's easier to hit the approach closer from the fairway than the rough....

depends on how close you are from the rough vs fairway. obviously all things the same the fairway is easier.
How to be in better shape for golf?
Become a better athlete.
Don't worry about golf specific.
Compound lifts w/ linear progress
Don't forget the mobility work.
More results, more functional

Spin is not your enemy, everything is a trade-off.
17 * 1700 goes really far, but doesn't go very straight or consistent
8* 3500 goes really straight, but doesn't go very far
Answer for most is somewhere in the middle.
Pga tour driver avg launch conditions: 11* 2700

9

#40 McCann1

McCann1

    Tour Player

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 410936
  • Joined: 02/03/2016
  • Location:Wilmington, NC
  • Ebay ID:igolfandguitar
GolfWRX Likes : 2142

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:40 PM

View Postpinhigh27, on 25 November 2018 - 04:11 PM, said:

View Postbucky316, on 25 November 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

GIR is one thing but $$$ is made from the proximity stats.... for various reasons it's easier to hit the approach closer from the fairway than the rough....

depends on how close you are from the rough vs fairway. obviously all things the same the fairway is easier.
exactly. Even if weíre talking proximity I would take my chances hitting it inside of your ball if I had 120 in rough vs you 175 in the fairway.

When I play Iím more concerned with getting he best angle to the pin then I am being in the fairway. Thatís what I spend most of my practice rounds doing. Finding what club to hit off the tee, where you can miss approaches etc are the easy parts. But where do I want to come into the green for certain pins? Sometimes that answer is in the rough. If the rough isnít too bad sometimes Iíll aim towards it to a back pin so it will release towards the hole if I end up missing the fairway

Edited by McCann1, 25 November 2018 - 05:51 PM.

Enjoy the chase.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 rafal

rafal

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95401
  • Joined: 09/28/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1971

Posted 26 November 2018 - 12:26 PM

No matter what the Commissioner tells you, there's no rough on the PGA Tour...
TM M4 10.5* Matrix Ozik HD6 S
TM R15 3HL Matrix Ozik HD6 S
TM R15 Rescue 3&4 PXi 5.5
Titleist AP2 5-P PXi 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
TM DLL+ 34.5"

11

#42 OutBackHack

OutBackHack

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 296687
  • Joined: 02/13/2014
  • Location:Sea Island
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 557

Posted 26 November 2018 - 12:52 PM

View Postshoot4par, on 25 November 2018 - 01:07 PM, said:

View PostMcCann1, on 25 November 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

You don't get it. It has been proven closer in the rough is similar if not better than further away in the fairway.

On a really difficult golf course id rather be in the fairway,  having an idea on how my ball will react on the green then further in the rough (case in point Oakmont, Bethpage, (Tournament conditions, FAST greens)) (IMHO). Also one can't offer an opinion like that without statistical evidence (who are we even talking about- tour players? quality amateurs?).

It's not really about how difficult the course is, it's about how firm the greens are. If you are playing on firm, fast greens you had better be in the short grass... Reality is you can count on 1 hand how often the tour is played in those conditions.... Therefore, it's bombs away.

12

#43 lowheel

lowheel

    LOWHEEL

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,952 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193008
  • Joined: 07/18/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 5469

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:42 PM

View PostMcCann1, on 25 November 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

View Postpinhigh27, on 25 November 2018 - 04:11 PM, said:

View Postbucky316, on 25 November 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

GIR is one thing but $$$ is made from the proximity stats.... for various reasons it's easier to hit the approach closer from the fairway than the rough....

depends on how close you are from the rough vs fairway. obviously all things the same the fairway is easier.
exactly. Even if we're talking proximity I would take my chances hitting it inside of your ball if I had 120 in rough vs you 175 in the fairway.

When I play I'm more concerned with getting he best angle to the pin then I am being in the fairway. That's what I spend most of my practice rounds doing. Finding what club to hit off the tee, where you can miss approaches etc are the easy parts. But where do I want to come into the green for certain pins? Sometimes that answer is in the rough. If the rough isn't too bad sometimes I'll aim towards it to a back pin so it will release towards the hole if I end up missing the fairway

Yup its the only way i play in tournaments.I admire guys who grind it out and consistently leave themselves 165-175 in the fairway but i just cant score consistently that way. i feel like i leave 4-5 birdie chances out there if i dont do that.Practice rounds are used for that, where you can miss and whats the best angle coming in. If the green is concrete sure fairways are a premium but how often does that happen all year? very few jumpers and flyers today out of the rough. even without square grooves its almost a sure bet youre catching the green and having a putt at it. Hope the offseason is treating you well!! best of luck next year, keep up the great play

13

#44 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209355
  • Joined: 10/30/2012
  • Location:Cocoa Beach, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 2791

Posted 26 November 2018 - 04:44 PM

Because distance to the hole is majorly important.

You can hit a mediocre shot from 130 yards and it is likely to end up closer to the hole than a better than average shot from 170 yards.  That's a laying up scenario.

But, when you take something like one player just being far longer than the other player, not only would the longer play be hitting from 130 yards, they could be hitting something like a SW due to their speed versus the shorter hitter may be hitting a 7-iron due to their lack of speed and it's just more difficult to find greens with a 7-iron than it is a SW.

I run into this issue occasionally with Tour clients that are struggling with their short game around the green.  They start to lay-up more often off the tee because they think they will find more fairways and that will translate into more GIR's and less short game shots around the green.  Then I show them the math where that is actually false...that by laying up more often they will have more short game shots around the green because they will hit fewer greens.







RH

14

#45 SNIPERBBB

SNIPERBBB

    Hit Ball Hard

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79142
  • Joined: 04/04/2009
  • Location:SE Ohio
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 529

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:36 PM

View PostSurfDuffer, on 24 November 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

The rough simply isn't deep or thick enough.

As strong as many of the long ballers are...you'd need to make the rough about knee height.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

15

#46 Dave230

Dave230

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,668 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 252022
  • Joined: 05/22/2013
  • Location:Ireland
GolfWRX Likes : 2481

Posted 27 November 2018 - 06:37 AM

View PostSNIPERBBB, on 26 November 2018 - 10:36 PM, said:

View PostSurfDuffer, on 24 November 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

The rough simply isn't deep or thick enough.

As strong as many of the long ballers are...you'd need to make the rough about knee height.

Depends on the course, some courses nowadays there's barely any rough, even less than for the average player, makes me think that they want the scores to be -20 to show 'these guys are good'. Then often the rough gets trampled by spectators. So you can get a situation where there's first cut, a very small patch of reasonable rough and then big patches of essentially first cut again when you go way off target.

For me, there should be a greater reward for hitting fairways, that should be a fundamental aim of the game. You don't see it often enough these days.

Edited by Dave230, 27 November 2018 - 06:38 AM.


16

#47 fowlerscousin

fowlerscousin

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 278691
  • Joined: 10/02/2013
  • Location:earth
GolfWRX Likes : 256

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:17 AM

People who hit a lot of fairways may not be aggressive enough on approach shots.   I think par 3s might be the culprit here.   The dudes who are short off the tee and hitting a lot of fairways may be suffering with 4 iron up thru the bag

17

#48 farmer

farmer

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,442 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
  • Joined: 12/02/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 3279

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:20 PM

As you get to senior status, you will tend to value fairways more than you did as a youngster.

18

#49 SNIPERBBB

SNIPERBBB

    Hit Ball Hard

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79142
  • Joined: 04/04/2009
  • Location:SE Ohio
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 529

Posted 27 November 2018 - 05:36 PM

View Postfarmer, on 27 November 2018 - 02:20 PM, said:

As you get to senior status, you will tend to value fairways more than you did as a youngster.

See that in our men's league. I think there are only 2 or three guys 60 or older that are good enough to play as an A or B player as we play the ball down. Only reason one of those 3 plays AB is at 65+ he gets to play from the senior tees. Most of the rest of the seniors play as C and D players as that group plays preferred lies.

Our course's rough is brutal and especially so this year as we had record rainfall and the mowers couldn't keep up and often the rough was 4-7 inches.

Edited by SNIPERBBB, 27 November 2018 - 05:38 PM.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

19

#50 bladehunter

bladehunter

    I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,634 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 19120

Posted 27 November 2018 - 06:24 PM

View PostDave230, on 27 November 2018 - 06:37 AM, said:

View PostSNIPERBBB, on 26 November 2018 - 10:36 PM, said:

View PostSurfDuffer, on 24 November 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

The rough simply isn't deep or thick enough.

As strong as many of the long ballers are...you'd need to make the rough about knee height.

Depends on the course, some courses nowadays there's barely any rough, even less than for the average player, makes me think that they want the scores to be -20 to show 'these guys are good'. Then often the rough gets trampled by spectators. So you can get a situation where there's first cut, a very small patch of reasonable rough and then big patches of essentially first cut again when you go way off target.

For me, there should be a greater reward for hitting fairways, that should be a fundamental aim of the game. You don't see it often enough these days.

It will never happen until they shrink the driver.

Nike Oven TW Vapor Speed  Aldila Synergy proto 70TX
Tm 17 M1 tour 14.5  Graphite Design ADDI 8X
Tm M3 tour 19 Fuji Pro white 95X
Titleist 681 Proto 3-pw Modus 130X
Vokey Raw 54 60 Modus 130S
Camerom 009 1.5 GSS

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#51 Smash Factors

Smash Factors

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185194
  • Joined: 06/09/2012
  • Handicap:5.9
GolfWRX Likes : 744

Posted 28 November 2018 - 04:50 AM

It's because the guys who hit the most fairways aren't among the longest drivers on tour. Yeah, they hit a lot of fairways, but they're also a long way from the green compared to the guys who bomb it. So, they're going to miss more greens.

There comes a point where a drive is so long that it doesn't matter that it missed the fairway. It's too easy to hit greens from there.
Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

21

#52 playa

playa

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 280775
  • Joined: 10/18/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 4270

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:10 AM

View PostSurfDuffer, on 24 November 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

The rough simply isn't deep or thick enough.
Yep, I'd bet you would see a correlation between a FIR and GIR at US Opens.

22

#53 Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7874
  • Joined: 11/16/2005
  • Location:New York
  • Handicap:+1.2
GolfWRX Likes : 633

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:12 AM

I think what people are missing here is that the players who don't hit many fairways still hit quite a lot and they tend to be hitting it a long way too. The guys who hit a lot of fairways still miss a few and they tend to be shorter. In 2018 on the PGA Tour, first in driving accuracy was 75%. 55% was 174th. So that means on average 80% of the time those two people are hitting from the fairway or not the fairway. If the person hitting it 55% of the time hits it 30 yards longer, that's a huge advantage (1st and 174th in driving distance was 33 yards difference). 20% of the time he's hitting it from the rough while the other guy is in the fairway, but he's 30 yards closer, so he might be losing a fraction of a shot, but not a lot. The 80% of the time they are either both in the fairway or both in the rough, he's making up large fractions of a shot.

If someone hits it 30 yards longer, but misses every fairway while the other guy hits every fairway, then yeah, hitting the fairway is better, but it doesn't work like that.
Ping G30 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G30 3 wood Accra
Titleist 714CB 2, 3, 4
Titleist 714MB 5-PW
Vokey 52 and 56
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

23

#54 McCann1

McCann1

    Tour Player

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 410936
  • Joined: 02/03/2016
  • Location:Wilmington, NC
  • Ebay ID:igolfandguitar
GolfWRX Likes : 2142

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:13 AM

View Postplaya, on 28 November 2018 - 07:10 AM, said:

View PostSurfDuffer, on 24 November 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

The rough simply isn't deep or thick enough.
Yep, I'd bet you would see a correlation between a FIR and GIR at US Opens.
you definitely would. But thatís an anomaly. OP was talking about averages for tour players over a season
Enjoy the chase.

24

#55 cxx

cxx

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142023
  • Joined: 10/10/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 816

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:48 AM

View PostTy_Webb, on 28 November 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

I think what people are missing here is that the players who don't hit many fairways still hit quite a lot and they tend to be hitting it a long way too. The guys who hit a lot of fairways still miss a few and they tend to be shorter. In 2018 on the PGA Tour, first in driving accuracy was 75%. 55% was 174th. So that means on average 80% of the time those two people are hitting from the fairway or not the fairway. If the person hitting it 55% of the time hits it 30 yards longer, that's a huge advantage (1st and 174th in driving distance was 33 yards difference). 20% of the time he's hitting it from the rough while the other guy is in the fairway, but he's 30 yards closer, so he might be losing a fraction of a shot, but not a lot. The 80% of the time they are either both in the fairway or both in the rough, he's making up large fractions of a shot.

If someone hits it 30 yards longer, but misses every fairway while the other guy hits every fairway, then yeah, hitting the fairway is better, but it doesn't work like that.

Not sure I'm getting your percentages.  Assuming independence (probably wrong as both are playing the same hole).

Both in the fairway .75 *.55 = .41
Both missed .25 * .45 = .11
one hit other missed .75 * .45 = .34
one missed other hit .25 * .55 = .14

both either missed or both hit = .52  (80%?)
one missed and one hit = .48


25

#56 Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7874
  • Joined: 11/16/2005
  • Location:New York
  • Handicap:+1.2
GolfWRX Likes : 633

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:01 AM

View Postcxx, on 28 November 2018 - 08:48 AM, said:

View PostTy_Webb, on 28 November 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

I think what people are missing here is that the players who don't hit many fairways still hit quite a lot and they tend to be hitting it a long way too. The guys who hit a lot of fairways still miss a few and they tend to be shorter. In 2018 on the PGA Tour, first in driving accuracy was 75%. 55% was 174th. So that means on average 80% of the time those two people are hitting from the fairway or not the fairway. If the person hitting it 55% of the time hits it 30 yards longer, that's a huge advantage (1st and 174th in driving distance was 33 yards difference). 20% of the time he's hitting it from the rough while the other guy is in the fairway, but he's 30 yards closer, so he might be losing a fraction of a shot, but not a lot. The 80% of the time they are either both in the fairway or both in the rough, he's making up large fractions of a shot.

If someone hits it 30 yards longer, but misses every fairway while the other guy hits every fairway, then yeah, hitting the fairway is better, but it doesn't work like that.

Not sure I'm getting your percentages.  Assuming independence (probably wrong as both are playing the same hole).

Both in the fairway .75 *.55 = .41
Both missed .25 * .45 = .11
one hit other missed .75 * .45 = .34
one missed other hit .25 * .55 = .14

both either missed or both hit = .52  (80%?)
one missed and one hit = .48

Right, but the one missed and one hit will skew in favor of the longer hitter sometimes. Let's say it's 0.12 of a shot advantage to be in the fairway and 0.1 of a shot advantage to be 30 yards longer.

A hits it longer and hits the fairway 55% of the time. B hits it shorter and hits the fairway 75% of the time.

A hits fairway and B hits fairway 0.55 x 0.75 = 0.4125, giving A an advantage of 0.1
A hits fairway and B misses fairway 0.55 x 0.25 = 0.1375, giving A an advantage of 0.22
A misses fairway and B hits fairway 0.45 x 0.75 = 0.3375, giving B an advantage of 0.02
A misses fairway and B misses fairway 0.45 x 0.25 = 0.1125, giving A an advantage of 0.1

Average advantage to A is therefore: 0.4125 x 0.1 + 0.1375 x 0.22 - 0.3375 x 0.02 + 0.1125 x 0.1 = 0.076 of a shot per hole

Compare that with just looking at it as if it's 80% of the time they're the same. These give A an advantage of 0.1 and 20% of the time B has an advantage of 0.02, so that's 0.8 x 0.1 - 0.02 x 0.2 = 0.076 of a shot per hole. It's because it doesn't matter if it's the same hole or not. If you miss a fairway and I hit a fairway, but then the next hole I miss a fairway and you hit a fairway, then, at least in my simplistic example, that has no impact on our scoring versus we both miss the first and we both hit the second.
Ping G30 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G30 3 wood Accra
Titleist 714CB 2, 3, 4
Titleist 714MB 5-PW
Vokey 52 and 56
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

26

#57 NPVWhiz

NPVWhiz

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11443
  • Joined: 02/07/2006
  • Location:Southern Ohio
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 373

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:25 AM

I don't think this is all that complicated.  Correlation is only interesting in this context if it signals or is evidence of a cause and effect relationship.  That CE relationship has always been assumed, and was demonstrable without shotlink data from the 20s to the 90s.  All you had to do was go watch a PGA Tour event during that time and you could see that players valued hitting fairways, and that players that didn't hit fairways generally scored worse and earned less.  A number of factors today have diminished the cause and effect relationship, so the correlation is now lower.  The simple translation is that it has become easier for the modern player to attain competitive proximities from the rough with a shorter iron.  Strokes gained data should show a discrepancy between the "punishment" factor that should be associated with hitting it in the rough and the missing advantage that should be resident in the data for hitting it in the fairway.  Most of it is in setup, but a good bit I'm sure is attributable to players today being more adept at hitting short irons from light rough.  It's a skill that can be improved upon like any other skill.  The penalty or punishment factor for being in the sand has also diminished over the years, in part due to course setup (the consistency and prep of the hazards...as though that should actually be of high importance), and in part due to an increase in the relative skill level that comes from focusing more on that type of shot.  What is clearly lagging behind is a style of course setup that would offset some of these natural, expected changes.  If players see an advantage in being better at sand play, they're going to work at it.  If the Tour wanted to maintain some historical element of bunkers being penal, then the setup has to adapt and change as well.  In reality, it would appear that isn't happening.  The type of sand used is more consistent.  The depths and prep are much better.  Bunkers over time have become easier to play from, and players have become ever better at it.  And so the penalty for being in one is diminished.  

Same for driving the ball.  If the problem of diminished difficulty from the rough is never identified, then it will never be addressed.  Especially if the modern attitude is that driving accuracy shouldn't be all that important as one of the skills that distinguishes good players from great players.  

Edited by NPVWhiz, 28 November 2018 - 02:06 PM.

Taylormade r11s 9 Penley Stealth 70x 44.5" D-3   ------> Taylormade 16 M1 8.5 GD AD TP6x 44.0" D3 PX Hzrdus Black 75 6.0 44.5" D-3
Nickent 3DX Pro 14 MRC Diamana WB 83s                
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18 Grafalloy CNote ProtoX   
Mizuno MP62 DG x-100 Sensicore D-4 3-pw ---------> Ping i200 DG120 S3 D-3 +1/4" Red 4-U.  
Vokey  SM6 56-14/60-04M DG x-100 Sensicore 1xss D-5 ------------> Vokey SM6 56/10 60/4M DG 120 S300 35" D-5
Scotty Golo

27

#58 imakaveli

imakaveli

    Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy...

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,023 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Joined: 06/22/2011
  • Location:Milano, Italy
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 5564

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:40 AM

More or less the same reason why Europe walked away with the Ryder Cup ;)

28

#59 cxx

cxx

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142023
  • Joined: 10/10/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 816

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:43 AM

View PostTy_Webb, on 28 November 2018 - 09:01 AM, said:

View Postcxx, on 28 November 2018 - 08:48 AM, said:

View PostTy_Webb, on 28 November 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

I think what people are missing here is that the players who don't hit many fairways still hit quite a lot and they tend to be hitting it a long way too. The guys who hit a lot of fairways still miss a few and they tend to be shorter. In 2018 on the PGA Tour, first in driving accuracy was 75%. 55% was 174th. So that means on average 80% of the time those two people are hitting from the fairway or not the fairway. If the person hitting it 55% of the time hits it 30 yards longer, that's a huge advantage (1st and 174th in driving distance was 33 yards difference). 20% of the time he's hitting it from the rough while the other guy is in the fairway, but he's 30 yards closer, so he might be losing a fraction of a shot, but not a lot. The 80% of the time they are either both in the fairway or both in the rough, he's making up large fractions of a shot.

If someone hits it 30 yards longer, but misses every fairway while the other guy hits every fairway, then yeah, hitting the fairway is better, but it doesn't work like that.

Not sure I'm getting your percentages.  Assuming independence (probably wrong as both are playing the same hole).

Both in the fairway .75 *.55 = .41
Both missed .25 * .45 = .11
one hit other missed .75 * .45 = .34
one missed other hit .25 * .55 = .14

both either missed or both hit = .52  (80%?)
one missed and one hit = .48

Right, but the one missed and one hit will skew in favor of the longer hitter sometimes. Let's say it's 0.12 of a shot advantage to be in the fairway and 0.1 of a shot advantage to be 30 yards longer.

A hits it longer and hits the fairway 55% of the time. B hits it shorter and hits the fairway 75% of the time.

A hits fairway and B hits fairway 0.55 x 0.75 = 0.4125, giving A an advantage of 0.1
A hits fairway and B misses fairway 0.55 x 0.25 = 0.1375, giving A an advantage of 0.22
A misses fairway and B hits fairway 0.45 x 0.75 = 0.3375, giving B an advantage of 0.02
A misses fairway and B misses fairway 0.45 x 0.25 = 0.1125, giving A an advantage of 0.1

Average advantage to A is therefore: 0.4125 x 0.1 + 0.1375 x 0.22 - 0.3375 x 0.02 + 0.1125 x 0.1 = 0.076 of a shot per hole

Compare that with just looking at it as if it's 80% of the time they're the same. These give A an advantage of 0.1 and 20% of the time B has an advantage of 0.02, so that's 0.8 x 0.1 - 0.02 x 0.2 = 0.076 of a shot per hole. It's because it doesn't matter if it's the same hole or not. If you miss a fairway and I hit a fairway, but then the next hole I miss a fairway and you hit a fairway, then, at least in my simplistic example, that has no impact on our scoring versus we both miss the first and we both hit the second.


Not sure what you are getting at here. But from the original post:

"So that means on average 80% of the time those two people are hitting from the fairway or not the fairway. "

doesnt' work.

It does matter if the results are dependent and probably are, given that the two players are playing the same hole.  Some are much easier than others to hit in the fairway.  Without independence you can't just multiply probabilities to get the joint probability.

Edited by cxx, 28 November 2018 - 09:47 AM.


29

#60 NPVWhiz

NPVWhiz

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11443
  • Joined: 02/07/2006
  • Location:Southern Ohio
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 373

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:09 PM

View Postimakaveli, on 28 November 2018 - 09:40 AM, said:

More or less the same reason why Europe walked away with the Ryder Cup ;)

Je suis díaccord

Taylormade r11s 9 Penley Stealth 70x 44.5" D-3   ------> Taylormade 16 M1 8.5 GD AD TP6x 44.0" D3 PX Hzrdus Black 75 6.0 44.5" D-3
Nickent 3DX Pro 14 MRC Diamana WB 83s                
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18 Grafalloy CNote ProtoX   
Mizuno MP62 DG x-100 Sensicore D-4 3-pw ---------> Ping i200 DG120 S3 D-3 +1/4" Red 4-U.  
Vokey  SM6 56-14/60-04M DG x-100 Sensicore 1xss D-5 ------------> Vokey SM6 56/10 60/4M DG 120 S300 35" D-5
Scotty Golo

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors