Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Why isn't there a stronger correlation between fairways hit and GIR?

79 replies to this topic

#1 LongWayToGo

LongWayToGo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 516954
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 24 November 2018 - 12:42 AM

I was looking at the stats for fairways hit and GIR and I didn't see a very strong correlation between the two, which I found surprising. It would seem as though the guys who hit fairways should also be able to find more greens than the rest of the field. Would anyone be able to shed some light on this phenomena?

Edited by LongWayToGo, 24 November 2018 - 01:39 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 shoot4par

shoot4par

Life's A Course

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 516506
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:shoot4par72
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 24 November 2018 - 12:55 AM

Drivers ideally hit slightly on the upswing, irons are normally leaned and hit down on... Just a thought. I'm a good driver of the golf ball who doesn't hit the irons particularly well from a GIR perspective.
Jones did it with corn whiskey. Hogan with cigarettes & Tiger with will.
On Sunday morning I'll take the back row seat
If you were wondering the secrets in the dirt.

WITB
Driver: Callaway XR Pro 9* (N/S) Oban Kiyoshi Black 65g 04 (Iomic White .60)
Callaway Epic Subzero 9* (N/S) (TC) Kiyoshi White 65g 04 Kiyoshi White 65 04 (Iomic White .60)
Fairway Wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Limited 16.5* Kiyoshi White 75g 04 (Iomic White .60)
Hybrid: Idea Pro Black 20 * Project X 6.0 (Iomic White .60)
Irons: Miura 1957 Baby Blades 4-PW KBS TOUR 120s PVD 1* strong/ standard lie (Iomic White .60)
Wedges: Vokey Wedgeworks 52*, 56*, 60* Soon to have KBS Matte Black 120s (Iomic White .60)
Putter: I try to change everyday to ward off monotony and consistency

WITB

#3 McCann1

McCann1

Tour Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 410936
  • Ebay ID:igolfandguitar
GolfWRX Likes : 2142

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:08 AM

Look at the correlation between high percentage fairway players and their driving distance. 100 from the rough and 150 from the fairway hit the green at around the same clip
Enjoy the chase.

#4 LongWayToGo

LongWayToGo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:22 AM

View Postshoot4par, on 24 November 2018 - 12:55 AM, said:

Drivers ideally hit slightly on the upswing, irons are normally leaned and hit down on... Just a thought. I'm a good driver of the golf ball who doesn't hit the irons particularly well from a GIR perspective.

I understand the mechanical differences between a driver and iron swing. For me, the more fairways I hit, the easier it is for me to hit greens. Maybe I should start keeping a better record of my fairway/GIR ratio.

#5 McCann1

McCann1

Tour Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:39 AM

View PostLongWayToGo, on 24 November 2018 - 01:22 AM, said:

I understand the mechanical differences between a driver and iron swing. For me, the more fairways I hit, the easier it is for me to hit greens. Maybe I should start keeping a better record of my fairway/GIR ratio.
that doesn’t matter. This year my fairways hit would’ve ranked me around 60th on tour but I was ranked 4th in GIR. Why? Because when I hit it 320 I usually missed the fairway but I was hitting SW into the green when most of my playing partners hit 8i or more. Yes being in the fairway certainly helps, but there’s a point where you’re so close to the green it doesn’t matter. You should keep track of strokes gained vs outdated Fairways, Greens, Putts imo

Enjoy the chase.

#6 straightshot7

straightshot7

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66294
GolfWRX Likes : 2660

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:42 AM

Yeah but as McCann pointed out, you're forgetting the discrepancies in distance among varying players.

What you, individually do from the fairway vs rough is a totally different question...

#7 OrangeGravy

OrangeGravy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 322661
  • Handicap:$$
  • Ebay ID:OrangeGravy
GolfWRX Likes : 532

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:42 AM

To me this argument when it pops up is about terminology. "Fairways Hit" is the wrong terminology. It doesn't capture drives that are off the fairway that play as if they were still on the fairway. Simple as that. It's all about playable drives vs not playable. has nothing to do with the "fairway" and it should be a combined stat that includes includes distance left to the green somehow.

#8 LongWayToGo

LongWayToGo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:43 AM

View PostMcCann1, on 24 November 2018 - 01:39 AM, said:

that doesn't matter. This year my fairways hit would've ranked me around 60th on tour but I was ranked 4th in GIR. Why? Because when I hit it 320 I usually missed the fairway but I was hitting SW into the green when most of my playing partners hit 8i or more. Yes being in the fairway certainly helps, but there's a point where you're so close to the green it doesn't matter. You should keep track of strokes gained vs outdated Fairways, Greens, Putts imo

Ah, makes sense. I only hit my driver about 290(something) with roll on average. So it's important for me to be in the fairway. Thanks for shedding light on this topic!

#9 McCann1

McCann1

Tour Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:48 AM

View PostOrangeGravy, on 24 November 2018 - 01:42 AM, said:

To me this argument when it pops up is about terminology. "Fairways Hit" is the wrong terminology. It doesn't capture drives that are off the fairway that play as if they were still on the fairway. Simple as that. It's all about playable drives vs not playable. has nothing to do with the "fairway" and it should be a combined stat that includes includes distance left to the green somehow.
the stat you’re thinking of is called strokes gained
Enjoy the chase.

#10 McCann1

McCann1

Tour Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:50 AM

View PostLongWayToGo, on 24 November 2018 - 01:43 AM, said:

that doesn't matter. This year my fairways hit would've ranked me around 60th on tour but I was ranked 4th in GIR. Why? Because when I hit it 320 I usually missed the fairway but I was hitting SW into the green when most of my playing partners hit 8i or more. Yes being in the fairway certainly helps, but there's a point where you're so close to the green it doesn't matter. You should keep track of strokes gained vs outdated Fairways, Greens, Putts imo

Ah, makes sense. I only hit my driver about 290(something) with roll on average. So it's important for me to be in the fairway. Thanks for shedding light on this topic!
the most important thing is having the right angle into the flag. Sometimes a good tee shot isn’t always in the short stuff. I’ll take my clear shot up the gut of the green from the rough vs fairway but a short sided angle more often than not

Enjoy the chase.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 LongWayToGo

LongWayToGo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:52 AM

View PostMcCann1, on 24 November 2018 - 01:50 AM, said:

the most important thing is having the right angle into the flag. Sometimes a good tee shot isn't always in the short stuff. I'll take my clear shot up the gut of the green from the rough vs fairway but a short sided angle more often than not

I got you. Leaving yourself an angle so you're not hitting over water or into a green side bunker (fried egg) with little to no green to work with if possible... Course management, it's an ongoing lesson.

#12 OrangeGravy

OrangeGravy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 322661
  • Handicap:$$
  • Ebay ID:OrangeGravy
GolfWRX Likes : 532

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:59 AM

View PostMcCann1, on 24 November 2018 - 01:48 AM, said:

View PostOrangeGravy, on 24 November 2018 - 01:42 AM, said:

the stat you're thinking of is called strokes gained

Yes you are correct. I should have guessed even though I don't know what all goes into it.

#13 jvincent

jvincent

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37449
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 24 November 2018 - 08:52 AM

View PostLongWayToGo, on 24 November 2018 - 12:42 AM, said:

I was looking at the stats for fairways hit and GIR and I didn't see a very strong correlation between the two, which I found surprising. It would seem as though the guys who hit fairways should also be able to find more greens than the rest of the field. Would anyone be able to shed some light on this phenomena?

Stats nerd time.

Did you actually run a correlation calculation? If you did I think what you would find is that they are in fact positively correlated. Similarly if you ran a correlation calculation between driving distance and GIR you would also see that they are positively correlated. I have no idea which one is more positively correlated.

Regarding the strokes gained comments you need to be specific. In the context of this conversation strokes gained off the tee is the one that matters since there are multiple strokes gained stats (putting, approach, etc).

#14 DLYskes1976

DLYskes1976

BigSexy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 269768
  • Handicap:idk
  • Ebay ID:coolluvr4u1976
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 24 November 2018 - 08:52 AM

i know a few years ago I read somewhere about how Bubba Watson's FIR wasn't that great, but his scoring and GIR was...   and Bubba came out and said something about how he'd rather be 125 or closer to the green and just off the fairway, than to be in the fairway and 150+ from the green....    

I've had some rounds when I was hitting the ball really well, but was just off the fairway and would get a decent lie in the short rough... and was still able to stick the ball on the green in my next shot...     I know it doesnt always make sense, but i tend to hit the ball better from the 1st cut, than off the fairway lol.....

#15 bladehunter

bladehunter

I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,634 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 19120

Posted 24 November 2018 - 08:55 AM

Eh.  I learned the game with a wild but long driver and from Bermuda rough.  So I’m used to approaches from the rough with wedges.  Some days I actually comment that I’d hit more greens if I could miss a few fairways.  Lol. Inside 150 yards it’s really a non issue from a GIR standpoint.  Now getting it closer is another story.  Proximity is where you should look.  Does it change from the rough ?

Nike Oven TW Vapor Speed  Aldila Synergy proto 70TX
Tm 17 M1 tour 14.5  Graphite Design ADDI 8X
Tm M3 tour 19 Fuji Pro white 95X
Titleist 681 Proto 3-pw Modus 130X
Vokey Raw 54 60 Modus 130S
Camerom 009 1.5 GSS

#16 delmer

delmer

Advanced

• 262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 516392
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:28 AM

View PostMcCann1, on 24 November 2018 - 01:08 AM, said:

Look at the correlation between high percentage fairway players and their driving distance. 100 from the rough and 150 from the fairway hit the green at around the same clip

This is my thought.  It would also be nice to see the severity of the miss on the tee shots.  I personally would hit more greens with a wedge from the rough than I would with a 6 iron from the fairway.

#17 deboer69

deboer69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 496350
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:deboer69
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 24 November 2018 - 11:10 AM

I think will all the different settings on today's drivers, you find find the right setting to make your driver go straight. You can't do that with irons. You have to hit them straight and the correct distance. With a driver you can just swing away. I know I can hit 4 out of 5 fairways but I'm lucky if I can get 50% GIRs.
Nike Vapor Flex 440 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
TaylorMade RBZ 2 Tour 3 Wood
TaylorMade RBZ 2 Tour 4 Hybrid
Taylormade P790 UDI 2 iron
Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW - DG S300
TaylorMade EF Wedges 52, 56, 60
Evnroll ER2
Nike Tour Platinum

#18 SurfDuffer

SurfDuffer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,952 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123677
  • Location:A long Par 5 from the Atlantic Ocean and a long Par 3 from the Bay.
GolfWRX Likes : 1000

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:00 PM

The rough simply isn't deep or thick enough.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
Titleist 690mb 2-P  6.0PX
Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
SeeMore FPG Putter

#19 pinhigh27

pinhigh27

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73898
GolfWRX Likes : 2887

Posted 24 November 2018 - 09:00 PM

that doesn’t matter. This year my fairways hit would’ve ranked me around 60th on tour but I was ranked 4th in GIR. Why? Because when I hit it 320 I usually missed the fairway but I was hitting SW into the green when most of my playing partners hit 8i or more. Yes being in the fairway certainly helps, but there’s a point where you’re so close to the green it doesn’t matter. You should keep track of strokes gained vs outdated Fairways, Greens, Putts imo

That kind of comparison makes no sense. Unless you're playing on pga tour courses you can't compare your stats to theirs. Elite ams would likely have more GIR and FIR than pga tour players because their avg course is easier
How to be in better shape for golf?
Become a better athlete.
Don't worry about golf specific.
Compound lifts w/ linear progress
Don't forget the mobility work.
More results, more functional

Spin is not your enemy, everything is a trade-off.
17 * 1700 goes really far, but doesn't go very straight or consistent
8* 3500 goes really straight, but doesn't go very far
Answer for most is somewhere in the middle.
Pga tour driver avg launch conditions: 11* 2700

#20 McCann1

McCann1

Tour Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2018 - 09:46 PM

View Postpinhigh27, on 24 November 2018 - 09:00 PM, said:

That kind of comparison makes no sense. Unless you're playing on pga tour courses you can't compare your stats to theirs. Elite ams would likely have more GIR and FIR than pga tour players because their avg course is easier
I played on the Canadian tour this season. And yes it makes perfect sense. That is exactly what the whole strokes gained statistics spell out

Edited by McCann1, 24 November 2018 - 09:47 PM.

Enjoy the chase.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 terrell75

terrell75

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 347835
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:terrell75
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:00 PM

This is the way of things. There are some, maybe many, who hit the ball long off the tee, and even some who can do so with some degree of accuracy. They play a slightly different game than those who do not. Some courses do not allow this to be an advantage, but most do.

It is well known by now that hitting it long is the greatest gateway to scoring well. Not that it is the only way. I can’t quote fact here but I’ll wager that long hitters outnumber elite ballstrikers. Add a little short game and a little putty-putt to a long hitters game and watch out.

Edited by terrell75, 24 November 2018 - 10:18 PM.

#22 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Happy Holidays!

• 15,843 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 12313

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:28 AM

"Only" 290 average drives - lol.

Edited by Hawkeye77, 25 November 2018 - 09:52 AM.

"We've Got That Holiday Feeling!"

#23 BNGL

BNGL

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472816
GolfWRX Likes : 980

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:15 AM

View PostMcCann1, on 24 November 2018 - 09:46 PM, said:

I played on the Canadian tour this season. And yes it makes perfect sense. That is exactly what the whole strokes gained statistics spell out

Whoa nicely done! You move up to the Web this year and make the Can Open?

#24 pinhigh27

pinhigh27

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:09 AM

View PostMcCann1, on 24 November 2018 - 09:46 PM, said:

and why strokes gained is a poor measure if you're playing on different level courses. It's more applicable for you because the courses aren't going to be vastly different but for an average am it will not be as relevant.

hitting it close from 100 yards is much different on a cow pasture than a course with fast firm greens for instance.
Become a better athlete.

#25 McCann1

McCann1

Tour Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:37 AM

You don’t get it. It has been proven closer in the rough is similar if not better than further away in the fairway.

Enjoy the chase.

#26 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Happy Holidays!

• 15,843 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 12313

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:09 PM

View Postdeboer69, on 24 November 2018 - 11:10 AM, said:

I think will all the different settings on today's drivers, you find find the right setting to make your driver go straight. You can't do that with irons. You have to hit them straight and the correct distance. With a driver you can just swing away. I know I can hit 4 out of 5 fairways but I'm lucky if I can get 50% GIRs.

If only.

But congrats - at 80% and with the driver, you are way ahead of any PGA/Euro Tour players the past decade.
"We've Got That Holiday Feeling!"

#27 pinhigh27

pinhigh27

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:16 PM

View PostMcCann1, on 25 November 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

You don't get it. It has been proven closer in the rough is similar if not better than further away in the fairway.

huh? I don't think you're talking about what I am. I'm saying the stats aren't comparable if you aren't playing on similar courses. you said you're on canadian tour so I said those stats are probably more closely comparable to pga tour. however someone who plays at a wide open muni, their stats are not well comparable to the pga tour.
Become a better athlete.

#28 McCann1

McCann1

Tour Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:32 PM

View Postpinhigh27, on 25 November 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

You don't get it. It has been proven closer in the rough is similar if not better than further away in the fairway.

huh? I don't think you're talking about what I am. I'm saying the stats aren't comparable if you aren't playing on similar courses. you said you're on canadian tour so I said those stats are probably more closely comparable to pga tour. however someone who plays at a wide open muni, their stats are not well comparable to the pga tour.
I’m sorry you’re right about that. But the correlation is still there. Anybody is better off the closer they are
Enjoy the chase.

#29 pinhigh27

pinhigh27

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:33 PM

right, agreed
Become a better athlete.

#30 shoot4par

shoot4par

Life's A Course

• 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 516506
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:shoot4par72
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:07 PM

On a really difficult golf course id rather be in the fairway,  having an idea on how my ball will react on the green then further in the rough (case in point Oakmont, Bethpage, (Tournament conditions, FAST greens)) (IMHO). Also one can't offer an opinion like that without statistical evidence (who are we even talking about- tour players? quality amateurs?).

Edited by shoot4par, 25 November 2018 - 01:09 PM.

Jones did it with corn whiskey. Hogan with cigarettes & Tiger with will.
On Sunday morning I'll take the back row seat
If you were wondering the secrets in the dirt.

WITB
Driver: Callaway XR Pro 9* (N/S) Oban Kiyoshi Black 65g 04 (Iomic White .60)
Callaway Epic Subzero 9* (N/S) (TC) Kiyoshi White 65g 04 Kiyoshi White 65 04 (Iomic White .60)
Fairway Wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Limited 16.5* Kiyoshi White 75g 04 (Iomic White .60)
Hybrid: Idea Pro Black 20 * Project X 6.0 (Iomic White .60)
Irons: Miura 1957 Baby Blades 4-PW KBS TOUR 120s PVD 1* strong/ standard lie (Iomic White .60)
Wedges: Vokey Wedgeworks 52*, 56*, 60* Soon to have KBS Matte Black 120s (Iomic White .60)
Putter: I try to change everyday to ward off monotony and consistency

WITB

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors