Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

My First WITB - robleighlefty89, England

WITB PING TaylorMade Club Glove The Golfers Journal Srixon Little Aston Vokey Counter Balance

  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 robleighlefty89

robleighlefty89

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 447402
  • Joined: 11/26/2016
  • Location:Sandwich, Kent, England
  • Handicap:2.7
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 22 November 2018 - 06:10 AM

Like many on here, I've thoroughly enjoyed going through people's WITB posts as well as those on the PGA Tour. Last night after a good range session I finally got round to taking pictures of my own - I hope you enjoy them.

To give you all a bit of a back story; I live in the South of England and have done all my life. I started playing when I was 11, but started really getting into it when I turned 13 and stopped playing other sports so much (hockey/football (soccer)). I'd learnt to play at a small 9-hole course, but when I turned 15 (12 hcap) my Dad agreed it would be best that I join his Club, which is also where my Grandfather played.

My Summers from the age of 15 to 18 were then spent playing golf from dawn to dusk with a group of people who I still consider to be among the best of my friends. English Summers when the sun is up from 5am to 9pm - Dad's dropping us off at 7am and collecting us at 8pm, good golf during the day; house parties and teenage shenanigans in the evenings. We were living the dream.

There was always 6-8 of us at the Club each day, our Junior Team (6) were all handicapped between 2 - 5 when were 16-18. We'd always play 2 rounds a day, then chip and putt on the 3rd & 4th greens in the evenings as they were out of sight of the Clubhouse.

Inevitably university or work took over our lives, however I consider myself lucky to to work in the game. That final Junior year is 10 years ago now, but there isn't a time when we meet up for a beer (unfortunately only an annual event after some of us moved away) that we don't hark back to those great Junior days.

Now the modern day.

For years I've struggled with my short game. This issue crept in slowly and eventually took over to the point where I just didn't enjoy playing. I'm lucky in that for years I could not play for a month and always hit the ball well, but any real enjoyment stopped when I got within 50 yards of the green. Due to this lack of enjoyment I played less and less until it got to a stage last year that I hadn't played for 3 months (I used every excuse not to play - injury, other plans, etc).

This year I decided to try and change that.

Due to the busy nature of Summers here (and being out of the habit of playing after work) I tend to practice at a local range in the dark winters (sunset at 4.30pm from November to February). I really enjoy the range; earphones in, my own little world, no pressure.

This past month though I've played a bit, almost once every two weeks, and I've really got a competitiveness back which I haven't seen for years. For maybe 5 years I've been more concerned about other people playing well and enjoying themselves than my own game. I aim to behave the same way with my playing partners; but in the back of my mind have the old Rob telling me to "make another birdie" or "you can catch this guy".

I'm now a 3 handicap (2.7), but anyone who knows the UK handicap system will know it's impossible to get your handicap back up. I haven't put a card in since June 2016, which was just after I moved to East-Kent for a new job. That card was at Tenby Golf Club, Wales, in their Open Week (amazing week, check it out!) and was a solid +5 in tough conditions.

My aim for next year is to play in at least 10 competitions and maintain a 3 handicap.

Anway - back to my WITB!

Bag

I've always loved the way Ping Bags looked - I've had this 4 series for 3 years having found it on ebay for a bargain.

Bag - Hip Pad Side.jpg

Driver & 3 wood

I've never been a great driver of the ball, so a decent 3 wood has always been a useful weapon.

I bought these on an old spec the week I moved to East-Kent. I actually bought the M2 head, but a friend who works here was struggling with his M1 head so asked to swap. I had only hit the M2 once so wasn't bothered, as I wasn't bothered with my golf at this stage anyway. Swapped the weights around last week (heavier weight on the front-to-back track) and it's helped with dispersion immensely.

The 3 wood is a dream - bought the 3HL so it was easier to hit than the 15 degree (again due to not playing a whole lot), and I can't see it going anywhere soon. This is the best fairway wood I've owned since my Titleist 975F with an X100 shaft.

TaylorMade M1 2016 - 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6s Shaft

TaylorMade M2 2016 - 3HL 16.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7s Shaft

Dr & 3w Soles.jpg

Driver Face.jpg

Driver & 3 Wood Shafts.jpg

The Golfers Journal Links & Kings Leather Driver Cover and an old-school Ping Moleskin Fairway Cover. I found the Golfers Journal about a year ago and immediately signed up to be a founding subscriber - check it out if you haven't.

Headcovers.jpg

Utility Iron

Another ebay find. I was keen to try a utility iron as I've never really got on with hybrids or 5 woods, just didn't feel they were accurate enough. I used to carry a 2-iron, but given my lack of play I thought it ridiculous to persevere with one.

Being a lefty I didn't know anyone with a utility iron I could try, but found one on ebay for £20 delivered. Thought if I liked it I'll invest in a shiny new one, but this one just worked so I haven't bothered to - 4 years later it's a firm favourite in the bag.

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi - #3, 21 - S300 Shaft

3i.jpg

Irons

Last winter, I decided new irons would enthuse me to get back into golf. I'd had a set of Cleveland TA3 Form-Forged irons for years, and as much as I loved them I wanted a little more help too. Everyone around me was buying Srixon Irons (it seemed), and when I saw the 765's were available left handed (I don't recall the 745's being so?) I took the plunge.

I wanted a little more help with the 4 iron, so opted for a 565. I find it blends perfectly from my utility iron to my 765 5 iron - I couldn't be happier with my 2018 major purchase.

Srixon 565 - 4 iron - KBS Stiff Shaft / Srixon 765 - 5 iron to Pitching Wedge - KBS Stiff Shafts

Back of 4i & 5i.jpg

4 iron on the left in both pictures against 5 iron on the right

4i & 5i.jpg

Wedges

I'd had Cleveland 588's in the bag for years, with an old Vokey thrown in for the lob wedge. I upgraded last month, I like to wear them in a little before a playing season so they feel like 'my wedges' rather than fresh out the box for the first medal of the year.

Titleist Vokey Wedges - SM7 50, SM7 54, SM6 58 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Shafts

Back of Wedges.jpg

Wedge Soles.jpg

The SM6 was in great condition at a good price from Golf Bidder which is the only reason it isn't a matching set, the others I got from the Pro at my workplace.

Putter

I have a couple in the lounge at home, but this is in the bag for now. A friend lent this to me a few months back, I like the longer grip even though it's still a 35" putter.

My best putting rounds have come with an Odyssey 2-ball (on the look out for one again now) and a Ping Redwood I got for my 18th. The Redwood is almost back in the bag but I need to put a new grip on it - the SuperStroke on it doesn't feel as good as the Iomic I used to have on it.

Putter Full Length.jpg

Putter Head.jpg

Tid-Bits

Since reading more articles and magazine such as The Golfers Journal, I try to keep an eye out for 'nice things'. This ball marker I got from a day out at Little Aston, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, is a good example - hope to continue to collect such items as I play more and more courses.

Little Aston Ball Marker.jpg

Also, the Club Glove Towels are the perfect size in my opinion.


Thank you to anyone who has read this far, and I look forward to any feedback on my first WITB.

Attached Thumbnails

  • Top of Bag.jpg

Edited by robleighlefty89, 22 November 2018 - 06:14 AM.

WITB - 22nd November 2018

'Failure is a bruise, not a tattoo' - Jon Sinclair

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Walter

Walter

    Belgian Golfer

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26026
  • Joined: 02/26/2007
  • Location:Belgium
  • Handicap:11.0
GolfWRX Likes : 334

Posted 22 November 2018 - 06:16 AM

Great Witb and even better story of your junior golf memories !! I have the Same here in Belgium / the range sessions in the dark 🙂👍👍🏌🏻

2

#3 justasgood

justasgood

    Without Tempo, you are just a hacker.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212517
  • Joined: 11/22/2012
  • Location:Covington country club, Mandeville Louisiana
  • Handicap:I.Q.
  • Ebay ID:klccsam
GolfWRX Likes : 1798

Posted 22 November 2018 - 07:21 AM

Very nice post and well thought out bag.

What are your other putters?

3

#4 robleighlefty89

robleighlefty89

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 447402
  • Joined: 11/26/2016
  • Location:Sandwich, Kent, England
  • Handicap:2.7
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:08 AM

View Postjustasgood, on 22 November 2018 - 07:21 AM, said:

Very nice post and well thought out bag.

What are your other putters?

Thank you for your kind words!

I own a Black Mist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, a Scotty Cameron Pro-Platinum Newport 2, the aforementioned Ping Redwood Anser and a Yes! Sophia.

The Black Mist Scotty is at my parents house, in a bag I use when home - I'll take some pictures of the others when I get home.

Ridiculously the journey should only take two-hours, but the M25 is such a nightmare it's taken me over 4 hours to get back the last two times I've tried. The train is only two and a half hours, so now I have an old set with them:

Ping Moon Bag (original one)
Ping G20 Driver, Bubba Watson Pink Edition, 10.5 Stiff
TaylorMade Rescue #2, Aldila Hybrid Stiff Shaft
Cleveland TA3 Form Forged Irons 4-PW
Cleveland 588 wedges, 53 & 56
Titleist Vokey 60 degree wedge
Scotty Cameron Black-Mist Putter

Keeping an eye out for a half decent 3 wood on ebay to go in the reserve bag, but not too bothered as my old course I tend to play is mostly played using a driver and irons.
WITB - 22nd November 2018

'Failure is a bruise, not a tattoo' - Jon Sinclair

4

#5 Zach Heusser

Zach Heusser

    Major Winner

  • Marshals
  • 4,452 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77
  • Joined: 04/19/2005
  • Location:Pacifica CA
  • Handicap:pro

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:27 AM

Play well.   Nice tools !

Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course

Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018

Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012

Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University

My WITB



http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/
@Zheusser on twitter

5

#6 MoaningM

MoaningM

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46532
  • Joined: 01/20/2008
  • Location:Wales UK
  • Handicap:Scr
GolfWRX Likes : 502

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:48 PM

Hi Rob,

Great to see you back playing and enjoying it. Very easy to become disinterested in the hobby when it becomes part of your job, i gave up for 12 years and its never been remotely part of my job.

Some great gear there, i have a ping moon bag up in the attic which i used for years, cant bring myself to get rid of it even now! And links and Kings well what can I say absolute top draw, have a few from differing courses covering my woods, you know there in safe hands...

I have to say that Rob is clearly very modest, this year I decided to truely get out there and play some top courses in competitve scratch events and without a shadow of a doubt the best run was by Rob, fabulous event and run like clockwork, around two world class courses which absolutely beat me up. Alas for however much the courses beat me up the welcome more than made up for it, a true gent and it was a pleasure meeting you, oh and Im planning on heading back down your way for July 2020 :)

If your back down in Tenby for next year id be very happy to repay the compliment and show you around, maybe even partner up for one of the open days, but id warn you to do as i say not as i do.

Keep the posts coming....


6

#7 MoaningM

MoaningM

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46532
  • Joined: 01/20/2008
  • Location:Wales UK
  • Handicap:Scr
GolfWRX Likes : 502

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:53 PM

One thing I forgot to mention the website looks fantastic, does the course justice, photos are amazing and ive even pinched one of myself at Ports for my fb profile, clearly a talented photographer as it makes me look slim :)

7

#8 robleighlefty89

robleighlefty89

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 447402
  • Joined: 11/26/2016
  • Location:Sandwich, Kent, England
  • Handicap:2.7
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 23 November 2018 - 04:05 AM

View PostMoaningM, on 22 November 2018 - 05:48 PM, said:

Hi Rob,

Great to see you back playing and enjoying it. Very easy to become disinterested in the hobby when it becomes part of your job, i gave up for 12 years and its never been remotely part of my job.

Some great gear there, i have a ping moon bag up in the attic which i used for years, cant bring myself to get rid of it even now! And links and Kings well what can I say absolute top draw, have a few from differing courses covering my woods, you know there in safe hands...

I have to say that Rob is clearly very modest, this year I decided to truely get out there and play some top courses in competitive scratch events and without a shadow of a doubt the best run was by Rob, fabulous event and run like clockwork, around two world class courses which absolutely beat me up. Alas for however much the courses beat me up the welcome more than made up for it, a true gent and it was a pleasure meeting you, oh and Im planning on heading back down your way for July 2020 :)

If your back down in Tenby for next year id be very happy to repay the compliment and show you around, maybe even partner up for one of the open days, but id warn you to do as i say not as i do.

Keep the posts coming....

Really good to hear from you Dave - hope all well and not too cold the other side of the Isle!

Thanks for your kind words, it was great running the South East Links this year - we had so much good feedback and hope to further develop the event for years to come.

I'm definitely seeing golf differently now; you're right in saying it's easy to not play when it's part of my job, but I'm seeing it as an escape from the office!

If I manage to get down to Tenby I'll definitely drop you a line - whether for the week or not it'd be great to have a couple of days there.

View PostMoaningM, on 22 November 2018 - 05:53 PM, said:

One thing I forgot to mention the website looks fantastic, does the course justice, photos are amazing and ive even pinched one of myself at Ports for my fb profile, clearly a talented photographer as it makes me look slim :)

Yes we're very happy with how the website came out. His pictures of the South East Links were great too - so much so he's managed to get the contract for Royal Cinque Ports too!
WITB - 22nd November 2018

'Failure is a bruise, not a tattoo' - Jon Sinclair

8

#9 robleighlefty89

robleighlefty89

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 447402
  • Joined: 11/26/2016
  • Location:Sandwich, Kent, England
  • Handicap:2.7
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 26 November 2018 - 12:06 PM

Booked a group trip to Turkey next year with Your Golf Travel, consequently I find out I'll be the owner of a TaylorMade M4 as I booked it for 8 or more.

Has anyone gone from the (2016) M1 to the M4? Any thoughts?

I'll likely just put my M1 shaft in so that won't be a problem.
WITB - 22nd November 2018

'Failure is a bruise, not a tattoo' - Jon Sinclair

9

#10 robleighlefty89

robleighlefty89

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 447402
  • Joined: 11/26/2016
  • Location:Sandwich, Kent, England
  • Handicap:2.7
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:23 AM

Struggled on the greens the last few times I managed to get out there, so with a competition at Royal Cinque Ports tomorrow I thought I'd get the old reliable re-gripped.

I got this putter for my 18 birthday; back when Summers were much longer and we never missed putts! The Golf Pride Tour SNSR Grip is similar to the one I had on it when I was younger, it feels great so looking forward to trying it this afternoon when I sneak out the office for a putt.

Back of Redwood.jpg

Redwood Face.jpg

Redwood Face On.jpg

Redwood Sole.jpg

I added the lead weight when I started going to thicker grips - no idea how much is on there but if it works, I don't really care.

WITB - 22nd November 2018

'Failure is a bruise, not a tattoo' - Jon Sinclair

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 shoot4par

shoot4par

    Life's A Course

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 516506
  • Joined: 11/15/2018
  • Location:Between the 2nd & 3rd Groove
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:shoot4par72
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:34 PM

Nice WITB, like the background books and the redwood.... Well staged backgrounds... I didn't think of that with mine.
Jones did it with corn whiskey. Hogan with cigarettes & Tiger with will.
On Sunday morning I'll take the back row seat
If you were wondering the secrets in the dirt.

WITB
Driver: Callaway XR Pro 9* (N/S) Oban Kiyoshi Black 65g 04 (Iomic White .60)
Callaway Epic Subzero 9* (N/S) (TC) Kiyoshi White 65g 04 Kiyoshi White 65 04 (Iomic White .60)
Fairway Wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Limited 16.5* Kiyoshi White 75g 04 (Iomic White .60)
Hybrid: Idea Pro Black 20 * Project X 6.0 (Iomic White .60)
Irons: Miura 1957 Baby Blades 4-PW KBS TOUR 120s PVD 1* strong/ standard lie (Iomic White .60)
Wedges: Vokey Wedgeworks 52*, 56*, 60* Soon to have KBS Matte Black 120s (Iomic White .60)
Putter: I try to change everyday to ward off monotony and consistency

WITB

11

#12 MoaningM

MoaningM

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46532
  • Joined: 01/20/2008
  • Location:Wales UK
  • Handicap:Scr
GolfWRX Likes : 502

Posted Yesterday, 01:02 PM

Got one of those redwoods in my cupboard somewhere and funnily enough has a wadge of lead on the sole also, sadly for me it doesnt work with or without the added lead!

How did you get on at cinque ports?

12

#13 BIG STU

BIG STU

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,641 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Joined: 11/14/2013
  • Location:Garden City Beach SC
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 29312

Posted Yesterday, 04:56 PM

View Postrobleighlefty89, on 12 December 2018 - 06:23 AM, said:

Struggled on the greens the last few times I managed to get out there, so with a competition at Royal Cinque Ports tomorrow I thought I'd get the old reliable re-gripped.

I got this putter for my 18 birthday; back when Summers were much longer and we never missed putts! The Golf Pride Tour SNSR Grip is similar to the one I had on it when I was younger, it feels great so looking forward to trying it this afternoon when I sneak out the office for a putt.

Attachment Back of Redwood.jpg

Attachment Redwood Face.jpg

Attachment Redwood Face On.jpg

Attachment Redwood Sole.jpg

I added the lead weight when I started going to thicker grips - no idea how much is on there but if it works, I don't really care.
I am the same way on lead tape I do not care how much is on there or how it looks just as long as it works
Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Diamana Reg
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts hard stepped-- Yeah MacHogans or Bastardized Macs
SW Macgregor LRA 56* TT Wedge S-400 DJ Special
Putter- 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Rusty as hell and lead taped
Bag-- Original Ping Hoofer
Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want screw the USGA & R&A
Redneck Hippie Golf When the Tailgate drops the BS Stops
Vintage
Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40
3&4 woods Macgregor DX Keyhole steel TT R
Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT green
PW Hogan White Cameo 50* Hogan Apex Wedge
SW Vokey 252 series 56* S-400 wedge
Putter ( subject to change) Cleveland 8802 Designed By
Bag Old School Titleist Stand

13

#14 Katke87

Katke87

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 374987
  • Joined: 05/08/2015
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted Yesterday, 05:35 PM

View Postrobleighlefty89, on 22 November 2018 - 06:10 AM, said:

Like many on here, I've thoroughly enjoyed going through people's WITB posts as well as those on the PGA Tour. Last night after a good range session I finally got round to taking pictures of my own - I hope you enjoy them.

To give you all a bit of a back story; I live in the South of England and have done all my life. I started playing when I was 11, but started really getting into it when I turned 13 and stopped playing other sports so much (hockey/football (soccer)). I'd learnt to play at a small 9-hole course, but when I turned 15 (12 hcap) my Dad agreed it would be best that I join his Club, which is also where my Grandfather played.

My Summers from the age of 15 to 18 were then spent playing golf from dawn to dusk with a group of people who I still consider to be among the best of my friends. English Summers when the sun is up from 5am to 9pm - Dad's dropping us off at 7am and collecting us at 8pm, good golf during the day; house parties and teenage shenanigans in the evenings. We were living the dream.

There was always 6-8 of us at the Club each day, our Junior Team (6) were all handicapped between 2 - 5 when were 16-18. We'd always play 2 rounds a day, then chip and putt on the 3rd & 4th greens in the evenings as they were out of sight of the Clubhouse.

Inevitably university or work took over our lives, however I consider myself lucky to to work in the game. That final Junior year is 10 years ago now, but there isn't a time when we meet up for a beer (unfortunately only an annual event after some of us moved away) that we don't hark back to those great Junior days.

Now the modern day.

For years I've struggled with my short game. This issue crept in slowly and eventually took over to the point where I just didn't enjoy playing. I'm lucky in that for years I could not play for a month and always hit the ball well, but any real enjoyment stopped when I got within 50 yards of the green. Due to this lack of enjoyment I played less and less until it got to a stage last year that I hadn't played for 3 months (I used every excuse not to play - injury, other plans, etc).

This year I decided to try and change that.

Due to the busy nature of Summers here (and being out of the habit of playing after work) I tend to practice at a local range in the dark winters (sunset at 4.30pm from November to February). I really enjoy the range; earphones in, my own little world, no pressure.

This past month though I've played a bit, almost once every two weeks, and I've really got a competitiveness back which I haven't seen for years. For maybe 5 years I've been more concerned about other people playing well and enjoying themselves than my own game. I aim to behave the same way with my playing partners; but in the back of my mind have the old Rob telling me to "make another birdie" or "you can catch this guy".

I'm now a 3 handicap (2.7), but anyone who knows the UK handicap system will know it's impossible to get your handicap back up. I haven't put a card in since June 2016, which was just after I moved to East-Kent for a new job. That card was at Tenby Golf Club, Wales, in their Open Week (amazing week, check it out!) and was a solid +5 in tough conditions.

My aim for next year is to play in at least 10 competitions and maintain a 3 handicap.

Anway - back to my WITB!

Bag

I've always loved the way Ping Bags looked - I've had this 4 series for 3 years having found it on ebay for a bargain.

Attachment Bag - Hip Pad Side.jpg

Driver & 3 wood

I've never been a great driver of the ball, so a decent 3 wood has always been a useful weapon.

I bought these on an old spec the week I moved to East-Kent. I actually bought the M2 head, but a friend who works here was struggling with his M1 head so asked to swap. I had only hit the M2 once so wasn't bothered, as I wasn't bothered with my golf at this stage anyway. Swapped the weights around last week (heavier weight on the front-to-back track) and it's helped with dispersion immensely.

The 3 wood is a dream - bought the 3HL so it was easier to hit than the 15 degree (again due to not playing a whole lot), and I can't see it going anywhere soon. This is the best fairway wood I've owned since my Titleist 975F with an X100 shaft.

TaylorMade M1 2016 - 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6s Shaft

TaylorMade M2 2016 - 3HL 16.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7s Shaft

Attachment Dr & 3w Soles.jpg

Attachment Driver Face.jpg

Attachment Driver & 3 Wood Shafts.jpg

The Golfers Journal Links & Kings Leather Driver Cover and an old-school Ping Moleskin Fairway Cover. I found the Golfers Journal about a year ago and immediately signed up to be a founding subscriber - check it out if you haven't.

Attachment Headcovers.jpg

Utility Iron

Another ebay find. I was keen to try a utility iron as I've never really got on with hybrids or 5 woods, just didn't feel they were accurate enough. I used to carry a 2-iron, but given my lack of play I thought it ridiculous to persevere with one.

Being a lefty I didn't know anyone with a utility iron I could try, but found one on ebay for £20 delivered. Thought if I liked it I'll invest in a shiny new one, but this one just worked so I haven't bothered to - 4 years later it's a firm favourite in the bag.

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi - #3, 21 - S300 Shaft

Attachment 3i.jpg

Irons

Last winter, I decided new irons would enthuse me to get back into golf. I'd had a set of Cleveland TA3 Form-Forged irons for years, and as much as I loved them I wanted a little more help too. Everyone around me was buying Srixon Irons (it seemed), and when I saw the 765's were available left handed (I don't recall the 745's being so?) I took the plunge.

I wanted a little more help with the 4 iron, so opted for a 565. I find it blends perfectly from my utility iron to my 765 5 iron - I couldn't be happier with my 2018 major purchase.

Srixon 565 - 4 iron - KBS Stiff Shaft / Srixon 765 - 5 iron to Pitching Wedge - KBS Stiff Shafts

Attachment Back of 4i & 5i.jpg

4 iron on the left in both pictures against 5 iron on the right

Attachment 4i & 5i.jpg

Wedges

I'd had Cleveland 588's in the bag for years, with an old Vokey thrown in for the lob wedge. I upgraded last month, I like to wear them in a little before a playing season so they feel like 'my wedges' rather than fresh out the box for the first medal of the year.

Titleist Vokey Wedges - SM7 50, SM7 54, SM6 58 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Shafts

Attachment Back of Wedges.jpg

Attachment Wedge Soles.jpg

The SM6 was in great condition at a good price from Golf Bidder which is the only reason it isn't a matching set, the others I got from the Pro at my workplace.

Putter

I have a couple in the lounge at home, but this is in the bag for now. A friend lent this to me a few months back, I like the longer grip even though it's still a 35" putter.

My best putting rounds have come with an Odyssey 2-ball (on the look out for one again now) and a Ping Redwood I got for my 18th. The Redwood is almost back in the bag but I need to put a new grip on it - the SuperStroke on it doesn't feel as good as the Iomic I used to have on it.

Attachment Putter Full Length.jpg

Attachment Putter Head.jpg

Tid-Bits

Since reading more articles and magazine such as The Golfers Journal, I try to keep an eye out for 'nice things'. This ball marker I got from a day out at Little Aston, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, is a good example - hope to continue to collect such items as I play more and more courses.

Attachment Little Aston Ball Marker.jpg

Also, the Club Glove Towels are the perfect size in my opinion.


Thank you to anyone who has read this far, and I look forward to any feedback on my first WITB.

Love those stealth Vokeys
Callaway GBB Epic driver, 13.5° adjusted to 12.5°, Diamana M40, A flex
Callaway Bertha 5 wood, 19°, Fubuki Z65, A flex
Exotics XCG6 3h 19°, Tour AD 50, A flex
King Cobra Baffler 4h 23°, Aldila NV-HL, A flex
Titleist 714 AP1, 5-gap wedge, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage, A flex
Ping Glide 2.0, 56°/8°, ES grind, KBS Tour 110, R flex
Callaway PM grind, 60°/10°, KBS Tour-V, wedge flex
All grips Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound
Bettinardi Innovai 3.0
Ping 4 Series bag
Titleist Pro V1X
Rovic & Clicgear push carts

14

#15 DE-ILLINI

DE-ILLINI

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181280
  • Joined: 05/16/2012
  • Location:DE
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted Yesterday, 08:36 PM

Great looking bag.  Redwood putters are nice putters.  I have one in the basement in case my gamer acts up.

Driver:  Cobra BioCell
4W:  Ping G15
3H & 4H:  Cobra Baffler
5 - SW:  Ping G25
58*:  Cleveland CBX
Putter:  Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser

15

#16 robleighlefty89

robleighlefty89

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 447402
  • Joined: 11/26/2016
  • Location:Sandwich, Kent, England
  • Handicap:2.7
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted Today, 04:39 AM

View PostMoaningM, on 13 December 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

Got one of those redwoods in my cupboard somewhere and funnily enough has a wadge of lead on the sole also, sadly for me it doesnt work with or without the added lead!

How did you get on at cinque ports?

Thanks Dave - all the prep though and left it at home so used the TaylorMade, didn't make a thing!!!

It was a great day out, course was in really good nic, not just for the time of year either. Rather cold though, 3 degrees and a 4 club wind! And yes the back nine was into all the way in... had to smoke a driver on the 14th (par 3 - 210 yards) and still didn't get pin high.

Can't wait to get out there again, love that track.
WITB - 22nd November 2018

'Failure is a bruise, not a tattoo' - Jon Sinclair

16

#17 JClarkGolf

JClarkGolf

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 453680
  • Joined: 02/01/2017
  • Location:Denison, Iowa
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:tharealjoeclark
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 2 minutes ago

Sick set up! Love the matte black wedges!

17



2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users


    Nic1972

GolfWRX Sponsors