Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Maltby DBM v PTM.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Double Gee

Double Gee

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31137
GolfWRX Likes : 240

Posted 22 November 2018 - 02:43 AM

I've tried to access Golfworks from my UK location and cannot get connected. This creates a problem for checking all the reviews and mpf for both clubs.
I have finally found a UK/EU supplier called Nordica.
Their website is quite limited in reviews etc .

I was thinking of a TS1 or TS2 but they do not carry that model yet. They can get it as a special, but at a cost.

SO..PLAN B !

I really like the idea of black clubs and both the DBM forged and PTM irons come in that finish. Reviews aren't prolific, but the only video I've found was not too impressed with the newer PTM performance. Felt it was a bit dead.

I usually have a lite steel or heavier graphite both in senior flex. Carrying a 7 iron around 130 yards.

Can anyone, who has played both, give a true comparison please . Fwiw, I certainly want and like a thinner top line, small to medium offset.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 johnnythunders

johnnythunders

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,537 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36861
GolfWRX Likes : 210

Posted 22 November 2018 - 07:47 AM

There are bunch of recent threads on the ts1/ts2 and Ptm, use the search function to find them.
2019bag
Callaway Fusion 10.5 Fuji evo 661 3 stiff
Mizuno jpx 900 4/7 fw
hybrids Rogue 5x, rogue 6
Cobra F7 one length 6-gw, king one black SW
Odyssey 3t blackout or Taylormade Copper Mullen
Callaway Super Soft and Cut 3 os surlyn /backup driver Big Bertha Fusion 9 Diamana stiff r series

#3 games

games

Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they are yours.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 248161
GolfWRX Likes : 713

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:07 AM

View PostDouble Gee, on 22 November 2018 - 02:43 AM, said:

I've tried to access Golfworks from my UK location and cannot get connected. This creates a problem for checking all the reviews and mpf for both clubs.
I have finally found a UK/EU supplier called Nordica.
Their website is quite limited in reviews etc .

I was thinking of a TS1 or TS2 but they do not carry that model yet. They can get it as a special, but at a cost.

SO..PLAN B !

I really like the idea of black clubs and both the DBM forged and PTM irons come in that finish. Reviews aren't prolific, but the only video I've found was not too impressed with the newer PTM performance. Felt it was a bit dead.

I usually have a lite steel or heavier graphite both in senior flex. Carrying a 7 iron around 130 yards.

Can anyone, who has played both, give a true comparison please . Fwiw, I certainly want and like a thinner top line, small to medium offset.

I have a slower swing speed (7 iron - 145).  I've played the DBM in Rifle 6.0 and a mid-weight graphite.  They launch nicely high and are stupid easy to hit.  For me, they behaved better with the heavier steel than the graphite.  While I had no business playing the 6.0 at my swing speed, for whatever reason, I was five yards more with those than with the graphite.

I also gamed the MMB-Black (not the PTM) so I got a bit of the opposite end of the Maltby spectrum.  Maltby does a phenomenal job of masking game improvement features in what otherwise look to be players' clubs.

End result between DBM and PTM:  Play the head that looks better to you.  You won't lose much in forgiveness going to the PTM if you like the look better.  I think you'll get higher ball flight from the DBM, otherwise play what looks best to you!
They who are enamoured of practice
without knowledge are like the mariner
going to sea without a rudder or compass
and who navigates without a course.

#4 Double Gee

Double Gee

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:23 AM

View Postjohnnythunders, on 22 November 2018 - 07:47 AM, said:

There are bunch of recent threads on the ts1/ts2 and Ptm, use the search function to find them.

I am aware and have read them. As I asked, I'm after someone who has played and can compare just  DBM v PTM, TS2 is not an option as it's unavailable to me.

#5 propman

propman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183580
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 345

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:33 AM

View PostDouble Gee, on 22 November 2018 - 08:23 AM, said:

View Postjohnnythunders, on 22 November 2018 - 07:47 AM, said:

I am aware and have read them. As I asked, I'm after someone who has played and can compare just  DBM v PTM, TS2 is not an option as it's unavailable to me.

I hope you get the responses you need.  In the past, I have asked for comparisons between the TE and PTM.  While I did get some responses, they were not very detailed.  It seems the PTM is not anywhere near as popular as the TS1 or TS2.

Based on what I have read and per Maltby's MPF factor,  the PTM is slightly more forgiving than the DBM  with a lower ball flight (again slight).

15 hcp

#6 DFinch

DFinch

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82054
  • Handicap:6.6
GolfWRX Likes : 437

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:46 AM

The "issue" with the PTM is it was released at the same time it was also announced they were coming out with two hollow/filled designs the same year. It got overshadowed.

I can't directly compare the PTM to the DBM because I haven't hit the DBM, but the PTM is an outstanding design with an excellent sole grind (leading edge relief). The PTM has stronger lofts, so it will likely produce longer distances iron for iron with a lower ball flight. That said, I have found the trajectory of the PTM's to be near perfect.

The black finish is outstanding.
Callaway Epic Sub Zero 8*
Cobra Fly Z 3W 13.5*
Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5*
Maltby TS-2 4-GW DG105 X-100
Mizuno MP-T5 54*/58*
Evnroll ER8
Snell MTB

#7 Double Gee

Double Gee

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:31 AM

DFinch, thanks for your input. I don't understand why there are no stockists here in the UK where I could demo stuff.

Thanks.

#8 jroos

jroos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 484558
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 23 November 2018 - 01:52 AM

I can really recommend Nordica Golf, I've ordered from them a bunch of times, and they have always been fast and reliable.

#9 jasonp87

jasonp87

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400570
GolfWRX Likes : 353

Posted 23 November 2018 - 08:44 AM

ok so to answer your questions

Offset - DBM/TE less then PTM
Topline - DBM/TE thinner then PTM
Sole Width - DBM/TE less then PTM (.781 vs .810)
Bounce- DBM has less then the PTM loft for loft.

Loft - DBM are 2* weaker per club.

Feel: DBM much softer feeling then the PTM.

Overall size the DBM to me look a fair amount smaller but realistically its very slight. its mainly the offeset/topline that give the illusion. cuz blade length is almost identical.

both are good clubs. but id consider the PTM more game improvement and the DBM a players CB look that is as forgiving if not more forigiving then a game improvement.

Forgiveness is probably around the same in both if not id even give a slight edge to the DBM.
Driver------TM M3 (8.5) Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 6X 45"
3W---------TM M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
5W---------TM M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
3i-----------TM TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
Irons-------Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) Modus 3 125X
Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge
Putter------TM Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR

#10 propman

propman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183580
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 345

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:27 PM

Comparing the ptm and ts2 heads, I realize the ts2 has stronger lofts and a "hotter" face.   Just curious what kind of distance increase there is with the ts2 head.  For example, a 7 iron difference.  Are we talking 5 yds ? 10 yds?

I know this would be dependent on alot of different variables.

Also, I would assume the ptm head is more forgiving than the ts2.  I am a mid teens capper and presently use the TE heads. Not a long hitter - 7 iron usually for 150 yds.

15 hcp

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors