Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Golf Popularity

64 replies to this topic

#61 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,722 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
GolfWRX Likes : 11632

Posted 24 December 2018 - 02:08 AM

View Postmikpga, on 22 December 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

I'm not 100% on that number, but I've heard that from what I consider to be a fairly reliable source...

He posted the numbers a post or two above your post.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 fairways4life

fairways4life

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103145
GolfWRX Likes : 803

Posted 24 December 2018 - 08:42 AM

View PostShowtime9, on 23 December 2018 - 12:24 PM, said:

I also think they need to promote a "9 holes" round more than 18. You see the commercials during tour events by the USGA but courses need to follow by creating a "9 hole" rate and promoting it just as much as an "18 hole rate".

+1

A lot of courses don't even have 9 hole rates anymore. And many don't have walking rates (it's just the same cost whether you walk or ride).

When I got into golf as a teenager there was a course nearby that had a 9 hole walking rate for like $11. For a high school kids budget, it was perfect. It seems like there are less of those opportunities nowadays.

#63 Bigjim1022

Bigjim1022

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199488
  • Ebay ID:jjoberg1013
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:35 AM

View Postlarrybud, on 16 November 2018 - 11:53 AM, said:

View Postohioglfr, on 15 November 2018 - 09:24 PM, said:

Today, I live near a grade school.  After school, no one is playing on the courts or ball field.  In the summer, when you'd think kids would be playing, the grounds are empty.  Not even a bicyclist or skate boarder passing through.  Which is why I sometimes take my clubs and a shag bag over there.

They are playing, but they are all playing in organized travel leagues which cost a fortune and take up 90% of the parent's free time driving them everywhere.

I love this response it struck a chord with me.  I'm 40 and play about 5-10 times per year.  I would consider myself an avid golfer even though my time spent on golf does not support that.  My daughter took up basketball and joined an AAU team.  Pretty much from February (end of school season) until the end of June (past when school is out) our weekends are filled with trips to hoop tourneys.  Some close, within a 20 minute drive, and some far away-requiring overnight stay.  Once the season is over its time to catch up on all the weekend things I didnt do while carting her team all over for hoops.  

All that being said, I'm fine with it.  She's 12 and soon it will all be over and she will be off to college and I'll be sitting here wondering what the hell to do.  Golf will be there when I have more time.  Until then, I'll play when i can and encourage her with her hoops and any other endeavors she takes on.

#64 mikpga

mikpga

www.mikedeitersgolf.com

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,263 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20303
GolfWRX Likes : 680

Posted 30 December 2018 - 04:45 PM

SOLOMAN I am guilty of not reading!

#65 sammi77

sammi77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 520580
  • Handicap:21
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:50 PM

Long tim lurker, first time posting. Forgive me.

This is an interesting discussion. My question is: what role, if any do you think the PGA should be playing from a coaching perspective?

If you take the hypothesis that if you're better at golf that you would be a good advocate for it, and would encourage others to join you, then 'growing the game' might start with making sure that more people are better at the game. I understand that a lot of people don't play purely because they're good at it, and that a lot of casual golfers enjoyment of the sport is more about hanging out with friends on the course than scoring low, but i do believe that better players like to play more and that the progression to lower scores fuels greater enthusiasm toward golf, in general.

I started playing a few years ago, I have a membership to a local club. i play around 15 rounds a year. i'm still a 21 handicap, but i love the game and want to get better. I'm interested in the relationships that the general golfer has to the PGA and whether people think that they should play a more active role in encouraging coaching in an effort to growing the game. I have no relationship to the PGA but have had coaches that (i guess) are members, i'm just not sure what benefit it is to the golfer.

Edited by sammi77, 16 January 2019 - 02:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors