Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

New Wilson CorTex driver


586 replies to this topic

#31 radiman

radiman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Joined: 05/30/2008
  • Location:Moorhead, MN
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1186

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:52 PM

View PostJoker91, on 14 November 2018 - 12:38 PM, said:

View Postradiman, on 14 November 2018 - 12:36 PM, said:

View PostJoker91, on 14 November 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

For all those people saying they wouldn't pay $500 for this driver, why not? If it performs for you as good or better than a different driver, why wouldn't you buy it? A lot of this talk is coming before people actually try it.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Wilson hasn't established themselves as a contender in the driver space.  I cannot recall ever seeing a Wilson driver in play, ever...  Add to the fact that Wilson will have a very limited resale market.  We are a community of equipment nuts.  Buying and selling equipment is a way of life around here.  Then, just look at the disaster that was the Titan.
So it's because they are snobs

Hey man.  I don't have the luxury of getting a professional fitting around here.  The best you get is hitting in an indoor sim.  I don't know if a driver is really going to work until I can get it on the course.  Would I risk dropping $500 on a driver that may not work out?  Especially if I get pennies on the dollar back for it.  With Cally, TM, Ping, etc... I know they have a proven track record of good performing drivers.  Something Wilson is lacking.

Callaway Epic 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 bigmoneyp

bigmoneyp

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106403
  • Joined: 04/16/2010
  • Location:Midwest
GolfWRX Likes : 491

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:03 PM

I think it looks great. As soon as they are sub $200 Ill be picking one up.

2

#33 Joker91

Joker91

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173666
  • Joined: 04/07/2012
  • Location:Westminster, CO
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:03 PM

View Postradiman, on 14 November 2018 - 12:52 PM, said:

View PostJoker91, on 14 November 2018 - 12:38 PM, said:

View Postradiman, on 14 November 2018 - 12:36 PM, said:

View PostJoker91, on 14 November 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

For all those people saying they wouldn't pay $500 for this driver, why not? If it performs for you as good or better than a different driver, why wouldn't you buy it? A lot of this talk is coming before people actually try it.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Wilson hasn't established themselves as a contender in the driver space.  I cannot recall ever seeing a Wilson driver in play, ever...  Add to the fact that Wilson will have a very limited resale market.  We are a community of equipment nuts.  Buying and selling equipment is a way of life around here.  Then, just look at the disaster that was the Titan.
So it's because they are snobs

Hey man.  I don't have the luxury of getting a professional fitting around here.  The best you get is hitting in an indoor sim.  I don't know if a driver is really going to work until I can get it on the course.  Would I risk dropping $500 on a driver that may not work out?  Especially if I get pennies on the dollar back for it.  With Cally, TM, Ping, etc... I know they have a proven track record of good performing drivers.  Something Wilson is lacking.
No one should risk dropping $500 on anything that may not work out. Most people have access to a place to hit something before they buy it. Even still you're not going to get MSRP on anything you resell.

3

#34 tbone18

tbone18

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93319
  • Joined: 08/30/2009
  • Location:COLUMBUS, OHIO
  • Handicap:0.7
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:06 PM

View Postradiman, on 14 November 2018 - 12:36 PM, said:

View PostJoker91, on 14 November 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

For all those people saying they wouldn't pay $500 for this driver, why not? If it performs for you as good or better than a different driver, why wouldn't you buy it? A lot of this talk is coming before people actually try it.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Wilson hasn't established themselves as a contender in the driver space.  I cannot recall ever seeing a Wilson driver in play, ever...  Add to the fact that Wilson will have a very limited resale market.  We are a community of equipment nuts.  Buying and selling equipment is a way of life around here.  Then, just look at the disaster that was the Titan.
Brendan Steele at sometime this year has used a Wilson driver in a PGA tour event.
PING G400 MAX 9 / ALDILA RIP ALPHA 70 X-FLEX / TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70 TX
PING G400 3W 14.5 / ALDILA RIP BETA 70 X-FLEX
PXG 0317 HYBRID 19,22 / NV2K15 BLUE 90 X-FLEX
PXG GEN 1 0311T 5-PW / STEELFIBER 110CW STIFF
TITLEIST VOKEY SM7 TOUR CHROME 50,54,58
PXG MUSTANG BLACK

4

#35 radiman

radiman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Joined: 05/30/2008
  • Location:Moorhead, MN
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1186

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:14 PM

View PostJoker91, on 14 November 2018 - 01:03 PM, said:

View Postradiman, on 14 November 2018 - 12:52 PM, said:

View PostJoker91, on 14 November 2018 - 12:38 PM, said:

View Postradiman, on 14 November 2018 - 12:36 PM, said:

View PostJoker91, on 14 November 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

For all those people saying they wouldn't pay $500 for this driver, why not? If it performs for you as good or better than a different driver, why wouldn't you buy it? A lot of this talk is coming before people actually try it.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Wilson hasn't established themselves as a contender in the driver space.  I cannot recall ever seeing a Wilson driver in play, ever...  Add to the fact that Wilson will have a very limited resale market.  We are a community of equipment nuts.  Buying and selling equipment is a way of life around here.  Then, just look at the disaster that was the Titan.
So it's because they are snobs

Hey man.  I don't have the luxury of getting a professional fitting around here.  The best you get is hitting in an indoor sim.  I don't know if a driver is really going to work until I can get it on the course.  Would I risk dropping $500 on a driver that may not work out?  Especially if I get pennies on the dollar back for it.  With Cally, TM, Ping, etc... I know they have a proven track record of good performing drivers.  Something Wilson is lacking.
No one should risk dropping $500 on anything that may not work out. Most people have access to a place to hit something before they buy it. Even still you're not going to get MSRP on anything you resell.

When did I say I expect msrp? Plus, an indoor Sim with limited shaft selection is not equal to real world, green grass, golf course play.

Callaway Epic 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

5

#36 grm24

grm24

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4801
  • Joined: 08/09/2005
  • Location:Western PA
GolfWRX Likes : 2155

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:14 PM

View Posttbone18, on 14 November 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

View Postradiman, on 14 November 2018 - 12:36 PM, said:

View PostJoker91, on 14 November 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

For all those people saying they wouldn't pay $500 for this driver, why not? If it performs for you as good or better than a different driver, why wouldn't you buy it? A lot of this talk is coming before people actually try it.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Wilson hasn't established themselves as a contender in the driver space.  I cannot recall ever seeing a Wilson driver in play, ever...  Add to the fact that Wilson will have a very limited resale market.  We are a community of equipment nuts.  Buying and selling equipment is a way of life around here.  Then, just look at the disaster that was the Titan.
Brendan Steele at sometime this year has used a Wilson driver in a PGA tour event.
Troy Merritt won on tour this year at The Barbasol using the Wilson Staff D300 driver.

6

#37 bogeypro

bogeypro

    The Original Bogeypro

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,951 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3842
  • Joined: 07/29/2005
  • Location:AL
  • Handicap:+2
GolfWRX Likes : 1616

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:15 PM

It looks pretty good though.
Taylormade M1 440 9.5* tour (2017) w/Speeder 757 Evo ii X
Titleist 917 f2 15* w/Diamana S+ 70s
Titleist 718 TMB 3-pw w/PXi 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM7 50f/56m/60m
Scotty Cameron Newport

7

#38 radiman

radiman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Joined: 05/30/2008
  • Location:Moorhead, MN
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1186

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:15 PM

View Posttbone18, on 14 November 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

View Postradiman, on 14 November 2018 - 12:36 PM, said:

View PostJoker91, on 14 November 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

For all those people saying they wouldn't pay $500 for this driver, why not? If it performs for you as good or better than a different driver, why wouldn't you buy it? A lot of this talk is coming before people actually try it.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Wilson hasn't established themselves as a contender in the driver space.  I cannot recall ever seeing a Wilson driver in play, ever...  Add to the fact that Wilson will have a very limited resale market.  We are a community of equipment nuts.  Buying and selling equipment is a way of life around here.  Then, just look at the disaster that was the Titan.
Brendan Steele at sometime this year has used a Wilson driver in a PGA tour event.

Sorry, I meant regular golfers. I would imagine that their were some Wilson contracted players to play a driver at some point, even if for a short while.
Callaway Epic 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

8

#39 Joker91

Joker91

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173666
  • Joined: 04/07/2012
  • Location:Westminster, CO
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:17 PM

View Postradiman, on 14 November 2018 - 01:14 PM, said:

When did I say I expect msrp? Plus, an indoor Sim with limited shaft selection is not equal to real world, green grass, golf course play.
This is all just individual to you and not for the vast majority of the golf world

9

#40 cz13X4

cz13X4

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,511 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79464
  • Joined: 04/07/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1165

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:18 PM

I like how it looks. I'd buy it over Cally and tm all day long. It'd have to wow me to keep me from ping though

G30ls hzrdus yellow
F8 VA Raijin
S55 Accra 110 tour
Glide 2.0 stealth Accra 110 tour
MannKrafted
Rife

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 radiman

radiman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Joined: 05/30/2008
  • Location:Moorhead, MN
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1186

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:21 PM

View PostJoker91, on 14 November 2018 - 01:17 PM, said:

View Postradiman, on 14 November 2018 - 01:14 PM, said:

When did I say I expect msrp? Plus, an indoor Sim with limited shaft selection is not equal to real world, green grass, golf course play.
This is all just individual to you and not for the vast majority of the golf world

Look at the replies, I do not think that I am alone in my opinion. Wilson's image needs work. I hope this driver sells well. I just think they are asking more than their image justifies if they are really looking to break into the driver market.
Callaway Epic 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

11

#42 GoGoErky

GoGoErky

    Advanced

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445702
  • Joined: 11/05/2016
  • Location:Middle of somewhere
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:23 PM

View Posttbone18, on 14 November 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

View PostGolfingfanatic, on 14 November 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

Looks ok. Would never pick this over Ping/Cally/TMAG at that price point, tho.
here are your options and their price point:
M3 $499.99
M4 $429.99
M5 $549.99
M6 $499.99
G400 $299
G400 MAX $399
G410 $499
ROGUE $399.99
EPIC FLASH $529.99
WILSON C300 $399
WILSON CORTEX $499
COBRA F8 $299
COBRA F9 not sure on retail $$
TS2/3 $499.99
By making the stock shaft the ATMOS tour spec shaft makes it a better value than some of these other drivers. most of these drivers with the Atmos tour spec shafts are a minimum of a $100 upcharge.

Most of those companies are offering real deal aftermarket shafts as stock including the newly released ef white and hzrdus smoke

12

#43 Joker91

Joker91

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173666
  • Joined: 04/07/2012
  • Location:Westminster, CO
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:27 PM

View Postradiman, on 14 November 2018 - 01:21 PM, said:

View PostJoker91, on 14 November 2018 - 01:17 PM, said:

View Postradiman, on 14 November 2018 - 01:14 PM, said:

When did I say I expect msrp? Plus, an indoor Sim with limited shaft selection is not equal to real world, green grass, golf course play.
This is all just individual to you and not for the vast majority of the golf world

Look at the replies, I do not think that I am alone in my opinion. Wilson's image needs work. I hope this driver sells well. I just think they are asking more than their image justifies if they are really looking to break into the driver market.
They aren't breaking into the driver market, they have made drivers before. The C300 has good reviews. The Triton was hindered by the conforming issues. Making an opinion based on the brand name before any real reviews or trying it themselves is called being a snob. Give something a chance before knocking it.

Edited by Joker91, 14 November 2018 - 01:28 PM.


13

#44 tbone18

tbone18

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93319
  • Joined: 08/30/2009
  • Location:COLUMBUS, OHIO
  • Handicap:0.7
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:31 PM

View PostGoGoErky, on 14 November 2018 - 01:23 PM, said:

View Posttbone18, on 14 November 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

View PostGolfingfanatic, on 14 November 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

Looks ok. Would never pick this over Ping/Cally/TMAG at that price point, tho.
here are your options and their price point:
M3 $499.99
M4 $429.99
M5 $549.99
M6 $499.99
G400 $299
G400 MAX $399
G410 $499
ROGUE $399.99
EPIC FLASH $529.99
WILSON C300 $399
WILSON CORTEX $499
COBRA F8 $299
COBRA F9 not sure on retail $$
TS2/3 $499.99
By making the stock shaft the ATMOS tour spec shaft makes it a better value than some of these other drivers. most of these drivers with the Atmos tour spec shafts are a minimum of a $100 upcharge.

Most of those companies are offering real deal aftermarket shafts as stock including the newly released ef white and hzrdus smoke
yes they are but the 2 you mentioned are not the handcrafted shafts which would be the better deal if they would offer those at no up charge. Srixon offer HC HZRDUS at no up charge.
PING G400 MAX 9 / ALDILA RIP ALPHA 70 X-FLEX / TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70 TX
PING G400 3W 14.5 / ALDILA RIP BETA 70 X-FLEX
PXG 0317 HYBRID 19,22 / NV2K15 BLUE 90 X-FLEX
PXG GEN 1 0311T 5-PW / STEELFIBER 110CW STIFF
TITLEIST VOKEY SM7 TOUR CHROME 50,54,58
PXG MUSTANG BLACK

14

#45 radiman

radiman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Joined: 05/30/2008
  • Location:Moorhead, MN
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1186

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:37 PM

View PostJoker91, on 14 November 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

View Postradiman, on 14 November 2018 - 01:21 PM, said:

View PostJoker91, on 14 November 2018 - 01:17 PM, said:

View Postradiman, on 14 November 2018 - 01:14 PM, said:

When did I say I expect msrp? Plus, an indoor Sim with limited shaft selection is not equal to real world, green grass, golf course play.
This is all just individual to you and not for the vast majority of the golf world

Look at the replies, I do not think that I am alone in my opinion. Wilson's image needs work. I hope this driver sells well. I just think they are asking more than their image justifies if they are really looking to break into the driver market.
They aren't breaking into the driver market, they have made drivers before. The C300 has good reviews. The Triton was hindered by the conforming issues. Making an opinion based on the brand name before any real reviews or trying it themselves is called being a snob. Give something a chance before knocking it.

What about the good awful noise the Triton made? If you think the conforming issue was the only reason it sucked at retail, you are delusional. Even after clearance pricing, people were buying it for the shaft.

They are attempting to break into the market. If you can't convince the guys you are paying money to play your clubs, there's something wrong. Wilson irons get good reviews. They just don't carry them around here, so I'll never really know.

Why do you think these companies pay millions of dollars to shape brand perception? You think ai am alone on my opinion of Wilson's past drivers?

Edited by radiman, 14 November 2018 - 01:39 PM.

Callaway Epic 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

15

#46 Joker91

Joker91

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173666
  • Joined: 04/07/2012
  • Location:Westminster, CO
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:47 PM

View Postradiman, on 14 November 2018 - 01:37 PM, said:

View PostJoker91, on 14 November 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

View Postradiman, on 14 November 2018 - 01:21 PM, said:

View PostJoker91, on 14 November 2018 - 01:17 PM, said:

View Postradiman, on 14 November 2018 - 01:14 PM, said:

When did I say I expect msrp? Plus, an indoor Sim with limited shaft selection is not equal to real world, green grass, golf course play.
This is all just individual to you and not for the vast majority of the golf world

Look at the replies, I do not think that I am alone in my opinion. Wilson's image needs work. I hope this driver sells well. I just think they are asking more than their image justifies if they are really looking to break into the driver market.
They aren't breaking into the driver market, they have made drivers before. The C300 has good reviews. The Triton was hindered by the conforming issues. Making an opinion based on the brand name before any real reviews or trying it themselves is called being a snob. Give something a chance before knocking it.

What about the good awful noise the Triton made? If you think the conforming issue was the only reason it sucked at retail, you are delusional. Even after clearance pricing, people were buying it for the shaft.

They are attempting to break into the market. If you can't convince the guys you are paying money to play your clubs, there's something wrong. Wilson irons get good reviews. They just don't carry them around here, so I'll never really know.

Why do you think these companies pay millions of dollars to shape brand perception? You think ai am alone on my opinion of Wilson's past drivers?
Did I say it was the only reason?

16

#47 radiman

radiman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Joined: 05/30/2008
  • Location:Moorhead, MN
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1186

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:52 PM

View Posttbone18, on 14 November 2018 - 01:31 PM, said:

View PostGoGoErky, on 14 November 2018 - 01:23 PM, said:

View Posttbone18, on 14 November 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

View PostGolfingfanatic, on 14 November 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

Looks ok. Would never pick this over Ping/Cally/TMAG at that price point, tho.
here are your options and their price point:
M3 $499.99
M4 $429.99
M5 $549.99
M6 $499.99
G400 $299
G400 MAX $399
G410 $499
ROGUE $399.99
EPIC FLASH $529.99
WILSON C300 $399
WILSON CORTEX $499
COBRA F8 $299
COBRA F9 not sure on retail $$
TS2/3 $499.99
By making the stock shaft the ATMOS tour spec shaft makes it a better value than some of these other drivers. most of these drivers with the Atmos tour spec shafts are a minimum of a $100 upcharge.

Most of those companies are offering real deal aftermarket shafts as stock including the newly released ef white and hzrdus smoke
yes they are but the 2 you mentioned are not the handcrafted shafts which would be the better deal if they would offer those at no up charge. Srixon offer HC HZRDUS at no up charge.

I wish I would have gotten in on Srixons no up charge deal. Heck, if the Cortex had a similar program, I'd probably be all over it.
Callaway Epic 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

17

#48 tigercolt77

tigercolt77

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125743
  • Joined: 04/01/2011
  • Location:Acworth, Georgia
  • Handicap:6.2
  • Ebay ID:tigercolt77
GolfWRX Likes : 232

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:57 PM

It looks really good at address and the tech is proven with other drivers. Combining the sliding track with moveable heel/toe weights seems like a good idea. Would love to hit it but $499 is a bit steep. The shaft options do help though, will at least demo it. Much better than the Triton.
Callaway Epic Speeder iv 757
Taylormade M2 Tour 3hl EF red
Callaway Epic 3h UST IROD 85
Taylormade p790 4-9i PX LZ
Vokey SM6 46f,50f,54v,58m
Carbon Lajosi DD201 flow neck

18

#49 radiman

radiman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Joined: 05/30/2008
  • Location:Moorhead, MN
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1186

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:08 PM

View PostJoker91, on 14 November 2018 - 01:47 PM, said:

Did I say it was the only reason?

Look man.  It's a good looking driver.  I hope it performs and I hope it overcomes Wilson's current image.  I just don't think it will at that price point.  I bet it sells better than the Triton though!  If they are hoping that I will buy it because an every day guy designed it over the millions Callaway and other OEM's put into R & D, that's a poor assumption.  I will admit, I didn't watch the show.  So, I can only assume they didn't give these guys free reign to design this alone.
Callaway Epic 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

19

#50 hardcaliber

hardcaliber

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108001
  • Joined: 05/14/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 329

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:08 PM

The driver looks incredible. Absolutely looks competitive with taylormade and callaway and all the rest imo.

As far as pricing goes, I certainly wouldn’t pay MSRP. But I wouldn’t pay MSRP for any brand so they are all the same in that regard

If price is an sticking point, they will pop up on bst and eBay in short order, just like every other club ever made.

The driver market is shaping up to have a bunch of incredible choices right now. Bumper crop to choose from next season.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#51 radiman

radiman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Joined: 05/30/2008
  • Location:Moorhead, MN
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1186

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:15 PM

View Posthardcaliber, on 14 November 2018 - 02:08 PM, said:

The driver looks incredible. Absolutely looks competitive with taylormade and callaway and all the rest imo.

As far as pricing goes, I certainly wouldn't pay MSRP. But I wouldn't pay MSRP for any brand so they are all the same in that regard

If price is an sticking point, they will pop up on bst and eBay in short order, just like every other club ever made.

The driver market is shaping up to have a bunch of incredible choices right now. Bumper crop to choose from next season.

That's why I feel they really could have put a dent in the market if they priced themselves more aggressively.
Callaway Epic 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

21

#52 Golfer_1993

Golfer_1993

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104759
  • Joined: 03/14/2010
  • Location:Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
  • Handicap:4.0
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:20 PM

Got a chance to hit it at Golf Town during lunch hour. Sound is amazing. Feel is amazing. The head at address is beautiful.

Since it was a driver for a sale, and not a demo head, I didn't adjust it a lot not to damage anything, so it was not optimized for me (spin was too high), but it was already going farther than my M2.

With the right adjustments, that thing will be a really great driver for anyone who decide to give it a shot.

22

#53 QuigleyDU

QuigleyDU

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,717 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62095
  • Joined: 08/01/2008
  • Ebay ID:reederc2
GolfWRX Likes : 1735

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:23 PM

View PostGoGoErky, on 14 November 2018 - 01:23 PM, said:

View Posttbone18, on 14 November 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

View PostGolfingfanatic, on 14 November 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

Looks ok. Would never pick this over Ping/Cally/TMAG at that price point, tho.
here are your options and their price point:
M3 $499.99
M4 $429.99
M5 $549.99
M6 $499.99
G400 $299
G400 MAX $399
G410 $499
ROGUE $399.99
EPIC FLASH $529.99
WILSON C300 $399
WILSON CORTEX $499
COBRA F8 $299
COBRA F9 not sure on retail $$
TS2/3 $499.99
By making the stock shaft the ATMOS tour spec shaft makes it a better value than some of these other drivers. most of these drivers with the Atmos tour spec shafts are a minimum of a $100 upcharge.

Most of those companies are offering real deal aftermarket shafts as stock including the newly released ef white and hzrdus smoke

are you sure about the prices with the epic flash and TM m5/6?? those seem high. or is that MSRP which is always higher than actual retail pricing.
driver: SRIXON Z745
fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP H5 GD AMT X100.
5-PW IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
WEDGES; CLEVELAND rtx 3.0 RAW
PUTTER; PING SIGMA G SHEA H
BALL; various, ask me that day.

23

#54 radiman

radiman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Joined: 05/30/2008
  • Location:Moorhead, MN
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1186

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:25 PM

View PostQuigleyDU, on 14 November 2018 - 02:23 PM, said:

View PostGoGoErky, on 14 November 2018 - 01:23 PM, said:

View Posttbone18, on 14 November 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

View PostGolfingfanatic, on 14 November 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

Looks ok. Would never pick this over Ping/Cally/TMAG at that price point, tho.
here are your options and their price point:
M3 $499.99
M4 $429.99
M5 $549.99
M6 $499.99
G400 $299
G400 MAX $399
G410 $499
ROGUE $399.99
EPIC FLASH $529.99
WILSON C300 $399
WILSON CORTEX $499
COBRA F8 $299
COBRA F9 not sure on retail $$
TS2/3 $499.99
By making the stock shaft the ATMOS tour spec shaft makes it a better value than some of these other drivers. most of these drivers with the Atmos tour spec shafts are a minimum of a $100 upcharge.

Most of those companies are offering real deal aftermarket shafts as stock including the newly released ef white and hzrdus smoke

are you sure about the prices with the epic flash and TM m5/6?? those seem high. or is that MSRP which is always higher than actual retail pricing.

That is the price I remember seeing coming up in the Epic Flash thread.

View PostGolfer_1993, on 14 November 2018 - 02:20 PM, said:

Got a chance to hit it at Golf Town during lunch hour. Sound is amazing. Feel is amazing. The head at address is beautiful.

Since it was a driver for a sale, and not a demo head, I didn't adjust it a lot not to damage anything, so it was not optimized for me (spin was too high), but it was already going farther than my M2.

With the right adjustments, that thing will be a really great driver for anyone who decide to give it a shot.

What shaft was in it?
Callaway Epic 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

24

#55 bogeypro

bogeypro

    The Original Bogeypro

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,951 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3842
  • Joined: 07/29/2005
  • Location:AL
  • Handicap:+2
GolfWRX Likes : 1616

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:33 PM

Wilson needs demo carts.  Just like Mizuno.... no demo carts mean no sales.

Taylormade M1 440 9.5* tour (2017) w/Speeder 757 Evo ii X
Titleist 917 f2 15* w/Diamana S+ 70s
Titleist 718 TMB 3-pw w/PXi 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM7 50f/56m/60m
Scotty Cameron Newport

25

#56 bigcountry1219

bigcountry1219

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499516
  • Joined: 04/18/2018
  • Ebay ID:flyhightix
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:35 PM

Was this a product of their reality tv show?

26

#57 wkndhack

wkndhack

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425792
  • Joined: 05/19/2016
  • Location:New England
GolfWRX Likes : 371

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:36 PM

Lot of positive reviews another another forum where guys got to hit it. Similar argument about pricing as well.

I'm intrigued by this one but not sure I'll see any fitting carts for it locally. I've done ok in the ATMOS blue before though.

Maybe I'll give it a whirl when the first batch hits ebay in the spring.


Cobra Fly-Z Oban Isawa Red 65-04
Cobra King F7 3W Oban Isawa Red 75-04
Cobra King F6 Baffler Aldila Tour Blue 85S
Cobra Forged Tec Black One 4-GW AMT S300
Cobra King Pur 54V, 58V
Bettinardi QB8
Srixon Q-Star Tour

27

#58 Golfer_1993

Golfer_1993

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104759
  • Joined: 03/14/2010
  • Location:Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
  • Handicap:4.0
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:36 PM

View Postradiman, on 14 November 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

View PostGolfer_1993, on 14 November 2018 - 02:20 PM, said:

Got a chance to hit it at Golf Town during lunch hour. Sound is amazing. Feel is amazing. The head at address is beautiful.

Since it was a driver for a sale, and not a demo head, I didn't adjust it a lot not to damage anything, so it was not optimized for me (spin was too high), but it was already going farther than my M2.

With the right adjustments, that thing will be a really great driver for anyone who decide to give it a shot.

What shaft was in it?

I switched the ATMOS TS Red 6 with a HZRDUS Black 65 they had in the demo cart, and lowered the loft to 10 degrees.

28

#59 boggyman

boggyman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74821
  • Joined: 02/08/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 696

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:37 PM

View PostQuigleyDU, on 14 November 2018 - 11:45 AM, said:

View PostRig14Port, on 14 November 2018 - 11:39 AM, said:

View PostTollBros, on 14 November 2018 - 11:15 AM, said:

Honestly, it's a very deep face and the head is black so those are two things I actually really like about it. It is a Wilson though so it's $499 today and $179 by Jan 1.

Maybe Wilson sees a small crowd of fan boys that they know will purchase at this price point and they want to get as much as they can out of the gate. I'm sure they fully expect to be at $200 in a few months.

If they would have launched these with the Tensei Pro line of shafts they could have easily gotten the $500 price tag from the shaft junkies that would likely flip the heads.

not sure i agree on your timeline. The C300 driver has been out for a long time and has not dipped in price.
And it’s as good as anything I’ve tried or have in my spare “bags” !! People are just blind to the name!

29

#60 QuigleyDU

QuigleyDU

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,717 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62095
  • Joined: 08/01/2008
  • Ebay ID:reederc2
GolfWRX Likes : 1735

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:47 PM

View Postbogeypro, on 14 November 2018 - 02:33 PM, said:

Wilson needs demo carts.  Just like Mizuno.... no demo carts mean no sales.

they have demo carts..

driver: SRIXON Z745
fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP H5 GD AMT X100.
5-PW IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
WEDGES; CLEVELAND rtx 3.0 RAW
PUTTER; PING SIGMA G SHEA H
BALL; various, ask me that day.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors