Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Wisconsin Golf Trip

122 replies to this topic

#121 mci711

mci711

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467000
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 256

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:37 PM

View Postvallygolf, on 28 November 2018 - 12:47 PM, said:

View Postduffer987, on 28 November 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

View Postvallygolf, on 28 November 2018 - 11:10 AM, said:

View PostDavePelz4, on 28 November 2018 - 10:21 AM, said:

View Postjerebear21, on 27 November 2018 - 03:30 PM, said:

What was rack rate at whistling 10-15 years back ?

I'm amazed that ws is booked months in advance as well considering the economics of things.

Think it was in the range of $250 back in the early 2000's.

One thing to keep in mind is a lot of the round there are booked as part of a golf package and WS is a touch better priced with a hotel and other golf included.

Not surprised that it is booked.  Really you have a world class venue drawing players from everywhere who want to play in July August or September.  That aint a lot of tee times.  Having played and paid rack rates staying at the central hotel at Kiawah, Pebble, Streamsong, Pinehurst, Bandon, Sand Valley, Erin Hills, Arcadia Bluffs, Forest Dunes, and others; Kohler was the most disappointing from a value perspective.  This from a guy who is not cost averse.  While Pebble was more expensive at the Lodge, the overall experience being on property around the course and ambiance IMO it represented a far greater value.  I would suggest paying the higher rack rate at WS to AVOID staying at the american club, which is an inferior experience from a value perspective than those mentioned above.
Interesting. Not counting Kiawah's incredibly good value winter stays which blow the others out of the water; we find Kohler's 3 days + replays/2 nights stay to be excellent value.
Pinehurst and Pebble being the worst 'value'. Everyone has their IMHO, but not sure what part of all the tour buses and looky-loos leads to a better ambiance.
Pebble is an awesome course, but being in that fishbowl knocks the 'experience' down a peg for me.

Totally get this sentiment, and see how many feel this way.  I guess to qualify my opinoin I must submit that I have not found a better golf ambiance than the huge balcony off the rooms in the Alvorada building at the lodge fronting the 18th fairway overlooking still water cove, or having dinner as the sun sets at the Bench seated at the firepits as the last groups roll up 18.  More expensive yes, IMO better value than anything the American club has to offer.  Dont read this as a knock on Kohler.  It is world class to be sure, but for my tastes the American Club is a solid skip.  This opinion values the actual golf similarly.

Having a room/balcony at Arcadia may be my favorite view in golf. Over looking Pebble 18 is great, but you see 1 hole. Our room at arcadia looks over 15 holes and a lake that looks like an ocean and the sunset is directly over the water.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#122 delmer

delmer

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 516392
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:51 PM

View Postduffer987, on 28 November 2018 - 01:22 PM, said:

View Postduffer987, on 28 November 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

Interesting. Not counting Kiawah's incredibly good value winter stays which blow the others out of the water; we find Kohler's 3 days + replays/2 nights stay to be excellent value.
Pinehurst and Pebble being the worst 'value'. Everyone has their IMHO, but not sure what part of all the tour buses and looky-loos leads to a better ambiance.
Pebble is an awesome course, but being in that fishbowl knocks the 'experience' down a peg for me.

Totally get this sentiment, and see how many feel this way.  I guess to qualify my opinoin I must submit that I have not found a better golf ambiance than the huge balcony off the rooms in the Alvorada building at the lodge fronting the 18th fairway overlooking still water cove, or having dinner as the sun sets at the Bench seated at the firepits as the last groups roll up 18.  More expensive yes, IMO better value than anything the American club has to offer.  Dont read this as a knock on Kohler.  It is world class to be sure, but for my tastes the American Club is a solid skip.  This opinion values the actual golf similarly.
That's fair enough. I just find the hustling and bustling overshadows the physical setting and those views. And then all the foot traffic during the day really puts a damper on things for me. I actually prefer sitting on a bench watching groups come up 9/18 at The Straits, to 18 at Pebble.
I think NCGA specials and then a nice spot in PG or Carmel can be excellent value as such; however, then we're appling and oranging things.

Of course I prefer sitting on the deck in the Golf suite at Bandon, seeing the ocean and watching groups come up 18 there more than any of them :)
Apologies OP (is he still around, lol) for the rabbit hole digression here. I'm out.

I'm a member at an SCGA club and I haven't seen any Pebble specials lately.  They used to send them out a couple times a year.

#123 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 3,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Handicap:6.1

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:51 PM

Dont read this as a knock on Kohler.  It is world class to be sure, but for my tastes the American Club is a solid skip.  This opinion values the actual golf similarly.

Couldn't agree more. I've said this before in other threads but I found the American Club to be the most overrated/overpriced lodge I've stayed at. Includes stays at Pebble, Pinehurst, Kiawah, and Sea Island among others. Just a complete skip for me next time.
M3 9.5 - AD-DI6x Black
M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
M3 5h - Atmos Red stiff
Cobra F8 One Length 6-GW - Steelfiber 110s
TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
Odyssey 2Ball F7 White Ice 35" / TM TP5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors