Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

McIlroy and the European Tour

165 replies to this topic

#61 Golfer4Life

Golfer4Life

Bob Parsons Bodyguard, Chump!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41635
GolfWRX Likes : 1155

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:56 PM

View Postbscinstnct, on 13 November 2018 - 07:40 PM, said:

View Posttiderider, on 13 November 2018 - 07:29 PM, said:

View Postbscinstnct, on 13 November 2018 - 09:31 AM, said:

Maybe Rory Jr. is on the way!

Also,

“I guess my thing is that I want to play against the strongest fields week-in and week-out and for the most part of the season that is in America. If I want to continue to contend in the majors and to continue my journey back towards the top of the game, then that’s what I want to do.

https://www.belfastt...p-37523457.html

was thinking his wife might be pregs, also ...

gonna go out on a limb and say rory will do what he thinks is best for his golf game and life balance ...

RM gonna have like 10 kids.

That way

At least one Mcilroy is bound to win a Masters ; )

Nicely done! Lol...

PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......

Equipment:

A bag full of PXG’s
Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009

“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 OldTomMorris

OldTomMorris

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129568
GolfWRX Likes : 476

Posted 14 November 2018 - 03:08 AM

View PostDarth Putter, on 13 November 2018 - 03:01 PM, said:

It is always funny when people blast American players for not coming over to Europe to play their tour's big events when the European Tour can't even get their own top players to show up. For example, Francesco Molinari skipping the first two events of the European Tour playoffs.

Its a fair point but in Molinari's case he changed his schedule mid-season chasing FedEx Cup points and it was a success but it's clear to see he is paying the price for it mentally. He looked shot in the recent events, maybe he might not have played both anyway.

Edited by OldTomMorris, 14 November 2018 - 03:15 AM.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Titleist Pro V 1x

#63 OldTomMorris

OldTomMorris

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2018 - 03:22 AM

With McIlroy only looking like he'd need to add 2 events to fulfil his commitment doesn't seem like a problem at all. With that in mind it feels like an awfully strange thing to put out into the public domain that he might forfeit his obligations for a year.

It might set off a few alarm bells with Keith Pelley, things are OK at the moment with the Rolex Series but nothing last forever and if the ET were to lose that then it could be disaster. It appears for some players the only thing that might ensure commitment to the tour is the RC, clearly an issue.
Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW

Titleist Pro V 1x

#64 Dave230

Dave230

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 252022
GolfWRX Likes : 2495

Posted 14 November 2018 - 03:27 AM

View Postjmck, on 13 November 2018 - 02:12 PM, said:

View PostDave230, on 13 November 2018 - 01:46 PM, said:

The European Tour helped Koepka get to three majors, helped Molinari this year and helped himself win majors.

He won a major in a year he had no PGA Tour membership if I remember.

So not necessarily looking out for his game but for his bank account (Fed Ex goes up to $15m this year).

If he is skipping Dubai there's no reason he couldn't play Irish or Scottish, Omega Masters, Wentworth and Dubai. Wouldn't be hard at all and it would have no impact on his PGA Tour season. And he could still have 20 weeks off or however many he has.

The 'I'll come back for the Ryder Cup' comment was selfish, what suits me.

View PostDave230, on 13 November 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

If you want to be the greatest European golfer, you don't skip the European Tour when you only have to play 4 measly events in 12 months. Seve has 50 wins and Faldo was a stalwart, if you want to be the best European golfer you don't ditch your own tour in my opinion.

First of all, Rory doesn't need the money, and, forgetting the FedEx Cup money for a moment, has done very very little in the way of chasing appearance fees, unlike some other top players I could name (cough*Tiger*cough).  Heck, Rory got in trouble a few years back when he said the $10m FedEx prize didn't mean much to him!  People were on here ripping him a new one about that, lol.

Secondly, he didn't say he wanted to be the greatest European Tour player.  He said he wanted to be the greatest European golfer.  That means playing against the best, which by and large mean a limited schedule on the Euro tour.  Here's a quote from his interview: "I guess my thing is that I want to play against the strongest fields week in and week out, and for the most part of the season that is in America."  I don't see how anyone can argue against that.

No one loved Seve more than me, but when it comes to ranking him among the all time greats he gets dinged for running up his win totals in minor tournaments against inferior competition, and rightly so.  He played very little in America, and he spent a lot of time chasing appearance fees all over the globe.  People complained about that at the time, now people are complaining about Rory doing the opposite.

He has a full uninterrupted PGA Tour schedule anyway, I don't see how he can't play four events over the course of a year.

Not saying that he should play the Indian Open to support the Tour, just a very small selection of the best events, he'd only have to play half of the Rolex Series to satisfy the criteria.

Appearance money/prize money are means to the same end, if all the money was in Europe then Rory would not be in America. They're all chasing the biggest purses and they are in the US right now with the Fed-Ex splurge.

I don't like the idea that playing on the European Tour is detrimental to your chances of majors, the European Tour produces lots of major winners because there is a great variety of courses and I definitely think it has helped Koepka and others who have played it. Danny Willett and Sergio Garcia both won the Masters after winning the Dubai Desert Classic for example. It's another case of McIlroy losing an element of what made him one of the world's best players.

Edited by Dave230, 14 November 2018 - 03:29 AM.

#65 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,714 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
GolfWRX Likes : 11627

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:09 AM

I think Rors might benefit from simply taking a step back all together.  Maybe just sit out 2019.  Perhaps he'd come back in 2020 with some fire in his belly.  You don't have to watch him more than about 10 minutes to see a look on his face that screams, "I don't care about golf."

#66 Jacked_Loft

Jacked_Loft

Steps Ahead

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449174
  • Handicap:Time
GolfWRX Likes : 400

Posted 14 November 2018 - 11:31 AM

Non issue here. He'll later add on events as needed to keep his ET membership.
WIMB:

`16 M1 9.5  Fuji Evo TS 661
`17 M1 3&5 Kuro Kage 70
P790 3I Nippon 950
P770 4-GW Nippon 950
MG 56° LB KBS REV
Spider Tour BLK
H2NO Carry

#67 airjammer

airjammer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28903
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 251

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:01 PM

View PostleftyDH04, on 14 November 2018 - 08:09 AM, said:

I think Rors might benefit from simply taking a step back all together.  Maybe just sit out 2019.  Perhaps he'd come back in 2020 with some fire in his belly.  You don't have to watch him more than about 10 minutes to see a look on his face that screams, "I don't care about golf."

He really makes me think if he had zero sponsors, he would just retire. I’d bet a good bit of money that if he had already won the masters he would retire regardless of his sponsors

#68 Cool Runnings

Cool Runnings

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500832
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:14 PM

View Postcardoustie, on 13 November 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:

The one negative I see with Rors is he seems to mentally check out if things don't go his way ... like him missing the short eagle on 2 at The Masters in Rd 4.  He handed that title to PR

Rory didn’t “mentally check out” after “missing the short eagle on 2 at Masters in rd4”. The reality that is golf is sometimes players (Rory that day) just didn’t have much of a swing all day…

Hole 1:
Let me remind you Rory’s very first tee shot on hole 1 was a disaster block right and despite such a terrible start did well mentally digging deep, fighting to rescue a superb par from where he was. Do you remember Rory gained 1 shot on hole 1 when Reed made bogey?

Hole 2:
Despite Rory missing that 4ft eagle putt he STILL made birdie while Reed only made par. Have you forgot Rory gained yet another shot on Reed, so 2 shots in the first 2 holes? You really think Rory & his caddie didn’t know/speak of this 2 shot advantage they just created and “mentally checked out”?

Hole 3:
So Rory after gaining 2 shots in the first 2 holes you think Rory’s poor wedge on hole 3 missing the green resulting in bogey was a result of him “mentally checking out”? Or could it just be a poor wedge that he’s prone to recently?

Hole 4:
Do you think Rory’s stunning 5 iron from 232 yards to 3ft making birdie (gaining another shot on Reed) was Rory “mentally checking out” with Reed only making par?

The reality was Rory just didn’t have much of a swing from the very first hole, he battled hard all day to find something but if you don’t have it, you don’t have it - it happens, even to the very best - it’s still Golf. Let me give you an example using the same standards with Tiger… did he “mentally check out” in Rd 1 after making birdie and then 2 bogies on holes 4 & 5 shooting a relatively poor +1? Did Tiger continue to “mentally check out” in Rd 2 also shooting a poor +3 round? The reality is Tiger like Rory he just didn’t have it when he needed it and they both couldn’t find anything on different days.

Here’s Rory’s Greens Hit at Augusta in rds 1-3, he was 61%, 67%, 67% - but in round 4 he only hit 44% of greens. Putting can only do so much but the key to scoring is Approach play, and if you’re not hitting greens consistently, especially at AN when being out of position is so costly, then pars & bogey & doubles will inevitably fill your scorecard. This is what happened with Rory final round at AN and Tiger in rds 1 & 2. It’s Golf. Here’s Rory’s own words about his 4th round at Augusta 2018…

Rory on his Masters 2018 Performance:
"I was trying to hit good shots and good putts and anytime I felt like I hit a good shot I got myself on the wrong side of the pin or gave myself a tricky one down the hill.”

In closing, I would agree he “mentally checked out” at the Honda event a few years back, but since then I’ve noticed the opposite reaction when things haven’t gone his way by digging deep even though in the moment he still outwardly shows his emotions (and there’s nothing wrong with that). I could give you many examples of when Rory started poorly in a round / event and then dug deep to finish strong and sometimes win. Don’t mistake Rory wearing his frustration / emotions on his sleeve (face etc), as him “mentally checking out”. I actually appreciate this showing of emotion from him.

Edited by Cool Runnings, 14 November 2018 - 12:20 PM.

#69 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,266 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 20013

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:18 PM

Rory gonna retire from golf and

Go full Murica!

And play baseball like MJ

Posted Image

#70 Dave230

Dave230

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:14 PM

If you remember he took an extended period off at the end of last year, mailing it through the playoffs, then not playing for three or four months. Now he's only playing one tournament in three months. He plays relatively few events as it is, and loves a long break. I don't think burnout is the issue.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 marmooskapaul

marmooskapaul

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13039
GolfWRX Likes : 551

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:30 PM

I would think missing the ET this year and becoming ineligible to be a Ryder Cup Captain would be a positive. Now he knows his life won't be interrupted when he's 50 something to do that pain in the butt job.

#72 IVM

IVM

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401922
GolfWRX Likes : 238

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:06 PM

Rory has all the money that he will ever need and does not care about where he came from the European Tour or if he wins another Major . Just as long as TaylorMade are paying $$$$ each year and his other sponsors are too he is happy . If a Major falls in his lap that is gravy .But the truth is the kid does not have the heart to be as good as he could have been .

#73 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 23,266 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:12 PM

His preference for playing here has been the case for his entire pro career....

"I'm not a fan of tournaments that the outcome is predicted so much by the weather -- it's not my sort of golf," said the 22-year-old. "I'm looking forward to getting back to America and getting back into some nice conditions.

"I'd rather play when it's 80 degrees and sunny and not much wind -- and there's no point in changing your game for one week a year."

https://www.pga.com/...es-golf-weather

Edited by bscinstnct, 14 November 2018 - 05:13 PM.

#74 imakaveli

imakaveli

Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy...

• Advanced Members
  • 12,072 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 5616

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:17 PM

View PostCool Runnings, on 14 November 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

The one negative I see with Rors is he seems to mentally check out if things don't go his way ... like him missing the short eagle on 2 at The Masters in Rd 4.  He handed that title to PR

Rory didn’t “mentally check out” after “missing the short eagle on 2 at Masters in rd4”. The reality that is golf is sometimes players (Rory that day) just didn’t have much of a swing all day…

Hole 1:
Let me remind you Rory’s very first tee shot on hole 1 was a disaster block right and despite such a terrible start did well mentally digging deep, fighting to rescue a superb par from where he was. Do you remember Rory gained 1 shot on hole 1 when Reed made bogey?

Hole 2:
Despite Rory missing that 4ft eagle putt he STILL made birdie while Reed only made par. Have you forgot Rory gained yet another shot on Reed, so 2 shots in the first 2 holes? You really think Rory & his caddie didn’t know/speak of this 2 shot advantage they just created and “mentally checked out”?

Hole 3:
So Rory after gaining 2 shots in the first 2 holes you think Rory’s poor wedge on hole 3 missing the green resulting in bogey was a result of him “mentally checking out”? Or could it just be a poor wedge that he’s prone to recently?

Hole 4:
Do you think Rory’s stunning 5 iron from 232 yards to 3ft making birdie (gaining another shot on Reed) was Rory “mentally checking out” with Reed only making par?

The reality was Rory just didn’t have much of a swing from the very first hole, he battled hard all day to find something but if you don’t have it, you don’t have it - it happens, even to the very best - it’s still Golf. Let me give you an example using the same standards with Tiger… did he “mentally check out” in Rd 1 after making birdie and then 2 bogies on holes 4 & 5 shooting a relatively poor +1? Did Tiger continue to “mentally check out” in Rd 2 also shooting a poor +3 round? The reality is Tiger like Rory he just didn’t have it when he needed it and they both couldn’t find anything on different days.

Here’s Rory’s Greens Hit at Augusta in rds 1-3, he was 61%, 67%, 67% - but in round 4 he only hit 44% of greens. Putting can only do so much but the key to scoring is Approach play, and if you’re not hitting greens consistently, especially at AN when being out of position is so costly, then pars & bogey & doubles will inevitably fill your scorecard. This is what happened with Rory final round at AN and Tiger in rds 1 & 2. It’s Golf. Here’s Rory’s own words about his 4th round at Augusta 2018…

"I was trying to hit good shots and good putts and anytime I felt like I hit a good shot I got myself on the wrong side of the pin or gave myself a tricky one down the hill.”

In closing, I would agree he “mentally checked out” at the Honda event a few years back, but since then I’ve noticed the opposite reaction when things haven’t gone his way by digging deep even though in the moment he still outwardly shows his emotions (and there’s nothing wrong with that). I could give you many examples of when Rory started poorly in a round / event and then dug deep to finish strong and sometimes win. Don’t mistake Rory wearing his frustration / emotions on his sleeve (face etc), as him “mentally checking out”. I actually appreciate this showing of emotion from him.

So you are saying you believed Rory could have still won the Master after the 2nd?
I continued watching only because it was the Masters...

#75 KRAMER1997

KRAMER1997

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 515328
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:12 PM

Good for him, playing a tour that is on life support is a waste of his time.

#76 OldTomMorris

OldTomMorris

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2018 - 03:39 AM

^^ No doubt tour has issues but over €35M ET winnings for McIlory, not my idea of a waste of time.
Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW

Titleist Pro V 1x

#77 Cool Runnings

Cool Runnings

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500832
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:05 AM

View Postimakaveli, on 14 November 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

View PostCool Runnings, on 14 November 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

Rory didn't "mentally check out" after "missing the short eagle on 2 at Masters in rd4". The reality that is golf is sometimes players (Rory that day) just didn't have much of a swing all day…

Hole 1:
Let me remind you Rory's very first tee shot on hole 1 was a disaster block right and despite such a terrible start did well mentally digging deep, fighting to rescue a superb par from where he was. Do you remember Rory gained 1 shot on hole 1 when Reed made bogey?

Hole 2:
Despite Rory missing that 4ft eagle putt he STILL made birdie while Reed only made par. Have you forgot Rory gained yet another shot on Reed, so 2 shots in the first 2 holes? You really think Rory & his caddie didn't know/speak of this 2 shot advantage they just created and "mentally checked out"?

Hole 3:
So Rory after gaining 2 shots in the first 2 holes you think Rory's poor wedge on hole 3 missing the green resulting in bogey was a result of him "mentally checking out"? Or could it just be a poor wedge that he's prone to recently?

Hole 4:
Do you think Rory's stunning 5 iron from 232 yards to 3ft making birdie (gaining another shot on Reed) was Rory "mentally checking out" with Reed only making par?

The reality was Rory just didn't have much of a swing from the very first hole, he battled hard all day to find something but if you don't have it, you don't have it - it happens, even to the very best - it's still Golf. Let me give you an example using the same standards with Tiger… did he "mentally check out" in Rd 1 after making birdie and then 2 bogies on holes 4 & 5 shooting a relatively poor +1? Did Tiger continue to "mentally check out" in Rd 2 also shooting a poor +3 round? The reality is Tiger like Rory he just didn't have it when he needed it and they both couldn't find anything on different days.

Here's Rory's Greens Hit at Augusta in rds 1-3, he was 61%, 67%, 67% - but in round 4 he only hit 44% of greens. Putting can only do so much but the key to scoring is Approach play, and if you're not hitting greens consistently, especially at AN when being out of position is so costly, then pars & bogey & doubles will inevitably fill your scorecard. This is what happened with Rory final round at AN and Tiger in rds 1 & 2. It's Golf. Here's Rory's own words about his 4th round at Augusta 2018…

"I was trying to hit good shots and good putts and anytime I felt like I hit a good shot I got myself on the wrong side of the pin or gave myself a tricky one down the hill."

In closing, I would agree he "mentally checked out" at the Honda event a few years back, but since then I've noticed the opposite reaction when things haven't gone his way by digging deep even though in the moment he still outwardly shows his emotions (and there's nothing wrong with that). I could give you many examples of when Rory started poorly in a round / event and then dug deep to finish strong and sometimes win. Don't mistake Rory wearing his frustration / emotions on his sleeve (face etc), as him "mentally checking out". I actually appreciate this showing of emotion from him.

So you are saying you believed Rory could have still won the Master after the 2nd?
I continued watching only because it was the Masters...
As I’ve clearly posted above…

“I’m saying” Rory DIDN’T “mentally check out” after “missing the short eagle on 2 at The Masters in Rd 4” as he STILL made birdie and gained another shot on Reed and both he and his caddie would have some perspective and deem that a great start.

“I’m saying” Rory’s poor wedge on hole 3 WASN’T him “mentally check out” after “missing the short eagle on 2”, it was just a poor wedge shot that Rory’s often prone to.

“I’m saying” Rory’s stunning 5 iron to 3ft on hole 4 making birdie is more EVIDENCE Rory didn’t “mentally check out” after “missing the short eagle on 2”… If that’s “mentally checking out” I and you want it.

“I’m saying” Rory’s swing looked suspect from the very first tee shot on hole 1 and continued in large part throughout his final round.

“I’m saying” Rory like Tiger and many others in different rounds just couldn't find what they needed however hard they tried. Sometimes you just don’t have it, it’s called Golf.

Edited by Cool Runnings, 15 November 2018 - 07:11 AM.

#78 KrazyTrain18

KrazyTrain18

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207177
  • Handicap:1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1248

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:29 AM

Rory has certainly changed his mind over the years on a variety of things not limited to the Ryder Cup or Open Championship.  I think he'll play the required events and this will become a non story.
915D3 9.5 (GD-DI 6S Black Edition)
910F 15 (Diamana Kai'li 75S)
712U 2I (DG S300)
714 AP2 4-W (DG S300)
SM6 (50-54-58) (DG S200)
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 (Studio Select)

#79 dolfinack

dolfinack

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 240411
GolfWRX Likes : 190

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:47 AM

View PostMoleman, on 13 November 2018 - 08:38 AM, said:

Rory doesn’t really like golf anymore... :(

What's it like to be a close personal friend of a tour player?

#80 Dave D

Dave D

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,971 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126808
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 1484

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:43 AM

View Postmarmooskapaul, on 14 November 2018 - 02:30 PM, said:

I would think missing the ET this year and becoming ineligible to be a Ryder Cup Captain would be a positive. Now he knows his life won't be interrupted when he's 50 something to do that pain in the butt job.

Not as pain in the butt as having to be an American captain and suffer an a$$ whooping more often than not :lol:

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Taylormade M1 3HL 17* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
2 iron: Taylormade P790 UDI w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 85g

4-9 Irons: Under construction
Wedges: Mizuno T7 46*, 50*, 54* & 60* - DG wedge flex
Putter: Custom Raybon Squareback 34" w/ Superstroke Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft

Posted Image
Posted Image

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 Superbrit

Superbrit

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 505108
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 340

Posted 16 November 2018 - 10:05 AM

View PostIVM, on 14 November 2018 - 05:06 PM, said:

Rory has all the money that he will ever need and does not care about where he came from the European Tour or if he wins another Major . Just as long as TaylorMade are paying $$$$ each year and his other sponsors are too he is happy . If a Major falls in his lap that is gravy .But the truth is the kid does not have the heart to be as good as he could have been .

12 months ago i would have told you stop being so daft, nowadays i'm actually starting to agree, sort of, i reckon he would still work his butt off to win The Masters, but apart from that??

Does he ever look like he enjoys it out there? it just seems like Golf sort of gets in the way now
Posted ImageM3 440
Posted ImageM3 15*
Posted ImageA12 pro ProtoG 18*
Posted ImageTI RBladez Tour "N" Type 4-PW
Posted Image MG Bronze 52/56/60
Posted Image Studio Stock #3 - Raw finish (but not meant to be!)

#82 Superbrit

Superbrit

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 505108
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 340

Posted 16 November 2018 - 10:07 AM

View PostKRAMER1997, on 14 November 2018 - 10:12 PM, said:

Good for him, playing a tour that is on life support is a waste of his time.

The European Tour has never had so much prize money and sponsors, its not got as much as the PGA tour obviously, but its hardly on life support!

Edited by Superbrit, 16 November 2018 - 10:08 AM.

Posted ImageM3 440
Posted ImageM3 15*
Posted ImageA12 pro ProtoG 18*
Posted ImageTI RBladez Tour "N" Type 4-PW
Posted Image MG Bronze 52/56/60
Posted Image Studio Stock #3 - Raw finish (but not meant to be!)

#83 widow-maker

widow-maker

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 309105
  • Handicap:2.7
  • Ebay ID:reiner53brown
GolfWRX Likes : 1691

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:20 PM

Rory can't win no matter what he does.  He catches grief for not being willing to do what's necessary to win majors, then when he makes a selfish decision to concentrate on majors he gets grief for not supporting the Euro Tour.  

It's his life, his choices.  He seems to have made a plan and he's committed to it for the first 8 months of the year.  Seems like a wise choice to me.  Make a plan that you're comfortable with and stick with it.  He'll have September, October, and November to play in whatever Euro events he chooses.  He doesn't have to make those choices right now, so why commit to anything?  

He's in the prime of his career right now.  I don't blame him for being selfish and doing everything in his power to have immediate success.  He's probably got a 5 year window to take advantage of being in his prime.  Cut out the distractions and do what you've got to do.  He's probably tired of being pulled in multiple directions with multiple obligations which limit his ability to concentrate on his golf.  So... simplify your life and do what makes you comfortable in order to play the best golf you possibly can.  Tiger figured it out at an early age.  Do what you have to do to focus all of your energy on your goals.  He needs to win... and now's the time.

#84 new2g0lf

new2g0lf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114437
GolfWRX Likes : 2095

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:45 PM

Overall, younger generations place a higher value on quality of life, relationships and parenting than the older generations.  Rory should be financially set for life, he doesn't need to play in every tournament every week to keep food on his table and most of the PGA Tour tournaments provide better prize money so logically why would he want to compete for less money.
Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
Woods - XXIO 10 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB

#85 Dave230

Dave230

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:09 PM

To quote Paul McGinley - https://www.skysport...and-justin-rose

"It's quite extraordinary that Rory's not going to play just two more events to fulfil his European Tour membership next season. It's very disappointing and it is obviously a blow for the European Tour.
I've been racking my brains wondering how that can be. Obviously Rory sees it in other ways and has got his own rationale for that, although I'm finding it hard to understand!
Of the 12 players that represented Europe in the Ryder Cup this year, Rory is the only one who is going to do that and the others have all signed up to play the minimum of four events outside of the majors and WGCs.
The FedExCup finishes in August next year, so you've got all of September, October, November and December where the PGA Tour is played in Malaysia, Korea and various other places.
Is Rory going to play in those rather than play in Dubai, where he has had unbelievable success and offers the exact same prize money as those events? Or is he just not going to play at all over the last four months?"

As McGinley says, I don't see how this relates to majors, it's a question of McIlroy just not playing for the last three months of the year. And he is only planning to play once from mid-November to late February as well. So in the next 12 months, he's planning to take 5-6 of those months off at age 29?

Edited by Dave230, 16 November 2018 - 01:09 PM.

#86 Darth Putter

Darth Putter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466932
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 4370

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:18 PM

McIlroy volleys back...

https://www.telegrap...ecision-trying/
swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

#87 WidespreadPanic

WidespreadPanic

Wizard in the Corner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425856
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 2636

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:29 PM

I don’t understand why there are Euros ripping him for this. I hate when people think they’re owed something when they just aren’t.
Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
Cobra F7 15.5*
Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
Mizuno MPH5 4i
Mizuno MP33 5-PW
Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
Taylormade TPx

#88 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 23,266 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:38 PM

View PostDave230, on 16 November 2018 - 01:09 PM, said:

To quote Paul McGinley - https://www.skysport...and-justin-rose

"It's quite extraordinary that Rory's not going to play just two more events to fulfil his European Tour membership next season. It's very disappointing and it is obviously a blow for the European Tour.
I've been racking my brains wondering how that can be. Obviously Rory sees it in other ways and has got his own rationale for that, although I'm finding it hard to understand!
Of the 12 players that represented Europe in the Ryder Cup this year, Rory is the only one who is going to do that and the others have all signed up to play the minimum of four events outside of the majors and WGCs.
The FedExCup finishes in August next year, so you've got all of September, October, November and December where the PGA Tour is played in Malaysia, Korea and various other places.
Is Rory going to play in those rather than play in Dubai, where he has had unbelievable success and offers the exact same prize money as those events? Or is he just not going to play at all over the last four months?"

As McGinley says, I don't see how this relates to majors, it's a question of McIlroy just not playing for the last three months of the year. And he is only planning to play once from mid-November to late February as well. So in the next 12 months, he's planning to take 5-6 of those months off at age 29?

I think this is the key to understand his thinking

"McIlroy says that after this week he intends to play just once in the next 13 weeks.

"The way the schedule has worked for next year, it is going to be different for a lot of guys," McIlroy said. "I think everything is going to be so condensed between March and August so that's why I'm going to be taking quite a big off season to get myself ready."

https://www.golfdige...bership-in-2019

And this is another GD/Feinstien piece with some insight

The outrage over Rory McIlroy's European Tour membership is crazy*

*And so is thinking he won't be a Ryder Cup captain some day

https://www.golfdige...-john-feinstein

Edited by bscinstnct, 16 November 2018 - 01:39 PM.

#89 jmck

jmck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,068 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66331
GolfWRX Likes : 3299

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:43 PM

View PostWidespreadPanic, on 16 November 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

I don't understand why there are Euros ripping him for this. I hate when people think they're owed something when they just aren't.

Not only that, they're ripping him for things he hasn't said or done.  Look at that McGinely quote from Dave230 up above.  First sentence: "It's quite extraordinary that Rory's not going to play just two more events to fulfill his European Tour membership next season."  

All Rory said was that he's only committed to two events at this time, and he'll reevaluate after May.  He never said two was all he's playing for the year and that he for sure won't play enough to be a Euro tour member.  He only said it's a possibility--and one that doesn't bother him much.  McGinely (and a whole bunch of other people) are acting like Rory's schedule for the next 365 days is set in stone as of this past weekend.

Gotta wonder how much more of this Rory puts up with before he just gives up and starts answering every question like DJ.  Dude speaks his mind and, sure, that often means his foot goes into his mouth.  But I'd rather have pros like that then a bunch of automatons.  

#90 MattyO1984

MattyO1984

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59978
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 3290

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:11 PM

View Postjmck, on 16 November 2018 - 01:43 PM, said:

View PostWidespreadPanic, on 16 November 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

I don't understand why there are Euros ripping him for this. I hate when people think they're owed something when they just aren't.

Not only that, they're ripping him for things he hasn't said or done.  Look at that McGinely quote from Dave230 up above.  First sentence: "It's quite extraordinary that Rory's not going to play just two more events to fulfill his European Tour membership next season."  

All Rory said was that he's only committed to two events at this time, and he'll reevaluate after May.  He never said two was all he's playing for the year and that he for sure won't play enough to be a Euro tour member.  He only said it's a possibility--and one that doesn't bother him much.  McGinely (and a whole bunch of other people) are acting like Rory's schedule for the next 365 days is set in stone as of this past weekend.

Gotta wonder how much more of this Rory puts up with before he just gives up and starts answering every question like DJ.  Dude speaks his mind and, sure, that often means his foot goes into his mouth.  But I'd rather have pros like that then a bunch of automatons.  

I am certain that he will end up playing at least four events and I get what he is saying in that he has only committed to two at this stage and that he will see how the year goes but Rory should be media savvy enough to know that what he said was going to cause controversy. It makes me wonder what was behind him saying what he said in the way that he said it. He is after something from the European tour but should remember that the Tour has bent over backwards to accommodate him previously, he should remember that.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors