Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

High School Golf - state championship underrated for evaluating players?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 235

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:48 PM

http://www.golfwrx.c...ollege-coaches/

"Based on this data, it means that the high school state tournament is comparable to somewhere between an AJGA Open and a Preview, with scores better than a Preview but not quite as good as an Open."

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,272 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 7448

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:53 PM

AJGA previews arenít that great for recruiting.

#3 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2307

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:45 PM

Article was a complete shank.  Only gave half the story.  Questions to coaches sucked.  Only talked about the winners and not the rest of the field.

#4 Pinewood Golfer

Pinewood Golfer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471630
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:41 PM

View PostCTgolf, on 09 November 2018 - 12:48 PM, said:

"Based on this data, it means that the high school state tournament is comparable to somewhere between an AJGA Open and a Preview, with scores better than a Preview but not quite as good as an Open."

Scores really arenít indicative of the quality of a field. Players are. For example, in Mississippi last year they played the private school state tournament on a 6,000 yard dirt track. Guys that are 3 handicaps were shooting 69ís. Took like 130 for 36 holes to win. And there were only about 3-5 D1 players in the event.

#5 Pinseeker_72

Pinseeker_72

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176076
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:34 AM

Yardage being short is a big ďissueĒ college coaches see in HS events, but many top players donít play HS golf.  The other side of the argument is that if the players arenít as good, move up the tees.

#6 benlenahan

benlenahan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 507152
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 11 November 2018 - 02:20 PM

Iíd say ours was a good platform, 7,100 yards with fast sloping greens. Winner shot 71-66 and is going to Oklahoma State, but he had that recognition before state as he had one AJGA.

#7 blaird

blaird

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63801
GolfWRX Likes : 501

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:35 AM

View PostPinewood Golfer, on 09 November 2018 - 10:41 PM, said:

Scores really aren't indicative of the quality of a field. Players are. For example, in Mississippi last year they played the private school state tournament on a 6,000 yard dirt track. Guys that are 3 handicaps were shooting 69's. Took like 130 for 36 holes to win. And there were only about 3-5 D1 players in the event.

Ha ONLY 3-5 D1 players at the MS private school state champ...for how few players there are at that level, 3-5 is really good. Im pretty sure I can figure out who they are, but what course did they play?

I know 6A played Caroline in Jackson last year and a few years before played at the Oaks in Pass Christian on the coast. I went out and watched some of the boys...it was Thornberry's senior year. The Oaks isnt the easiest course in the world and they were playing around 66-6800 that year. I think Thornberry shot 74-64 or something like that.

Theres a big gap in talent in MS. Would have loved to have seen guys like Thornberry, Furr, Riley, and even the guys who went to State and Ole Miss that are struggling to make trips all play in the same tournament. I think the Gator is the closest they got to getting them all together to play.

Your bigger schools dont really care about the state tournament. They are looking at what you are doing in AJGA, SJGT (at least in this area), State Ams, State Jrs, and other big multi day events that you can get in to. Most of your D1 programs have any particular years class of freshmen signed a year in advance. Playing good at a state tournament MAY get some attention from a small NAIA school or NJCAA program. Our State Jr carries way more weight than high school state championship. A kid won the State Jr year before last by 8-10 shots shooting 8 under or so and that got him an offer from MS State. Turns out the kid is really good, but just didnt play or try to play AJGA or other National Jr events.

#8 Pinewood Golfer

Pinewood Golfer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471630
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:41 PM

View Postblaird, on 12 November 2018 - 10:35 AM, said:

Scores really aren't indicative of the quality of a field. Players are. For example, in Mississippi last year they played the private school state tournament on a 6,000 yard dirt track. Guys that are 3 handicaps were shooting 69's. Took like 130 for 36 holes to win. And there were only about 3-5 D1 players in the event.

Ha ONLY 3-5 D1 players at the MS private school state champ...for how few players there are at that level, 3-5 is really good. Im pretty sure I can figure out who they are, but what course did they play?

I know 6A played Caroline in Jackson last year and a few years before played at the Oaks in Pass Christian on the coast. I went out and watched some of the boys...it was Thornberry's senior year. The Oaks isnt the easiest course in the world and they were playing around 66-6800 that year. I think Thornberry shot 74-64 or something like that.

Theres a big gap in talent in MS. Would have loved to have seen guys like Thornberry, Furr, Riley, and even the guys who went to State and Ole Miss that are struggling to make trips all play in the same tournament. I think the Gator is the closest they got to getting them all together to play.

Your bigger schools dont really care about the state tournament. They are looking at what you are doing in AJGA, SJGT (at least in this area), State Ams, State Jrs, and other big multi day events that you can get in to. Most of your D1 programs have any particular years class of freshmen signed a year in advance. Playing good at a state tournament MAY get some attention from a small NAIA school or NJCAA program. Our State Jr carries way more weight than high school state championship. A kid won the State Jr year before last by 8-10 shots shooting 8 under or so and that got him an offer from MS State. Turns out the kid is really good, but just didnt play or try to play AJGA or other National Jr events.

Patrick Farms

#9 blaird

blaird

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63801
GolfWRX Likes : 501

Posted 12 November 2018 - 02:01 PM

View PostPinewood Golfer, on 12 November 2018 - 01:41 PM, said:

View Postblaird, on 12 November 2018 - 10:35 AM, said:

Patrick Farms

Thats right I keep forgetting they host every so often...if its some of the private school kids Im thinking about (from JA and Prep), yea 130 seems about right for that course and those players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors