Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Big guy swing problems

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dannykos

dannykos

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17306
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:53 PM

So as you'll see from my videos - I'm on the larger side. I have some very obvious swing flaws (reverse pivot, excessive head movement etc, etc).

My driving while somewhat erratic isn't too bad. Typical drives are 230-250 yards. Arccos has me at 45% accuracy, with my misses 25% left and 30% right.

My approach play is truly terrible. I hit 22% GIR with 57% coming up short (10% left and 7% right). My iron play has gone severly downhill over the last number of years, to the point where my average (well struck) 7 iron now flies barely 140 yards. I seem to come up short, even on what feel like fairly well struck shots. Longer irons are a joke - 6 irons can be okay, 5's sometimes - but my 4 iron (mp52) looks almost brand new!

so…

My question is - what is the most obvious inital bad move that I can work on. Bear in mind that with a torso my size, it's REALLY easy to push out and away from my body at transition - hence coming out to in, stuff just gets in the way. My best efforts to keep on plane are causing pain in my back on the right hand side (half way up). My divots look as though I'm pull-slicing - but the typical iron shot usually flies fairly straight, just very short!

Please be gentle :bigwhack:

Driver face on: https://vimeo.com/299557643
Driver DTL: https://vimeo.com/299557595
7 iron face on: https://vimeo.com/299557567
7 iron DTL: https://vimeo.com/299557623

Edited by dannykos, 08 November 2018 - 12:28 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 WoodHeads

WoodHeads

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 514170
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 11 November 2018 - 09:33 PM

When comparing your 7 iron vs driver, it looks like you're "popping up" on contact, which is possibly hurting your distance, as you may end up over-lofting the ball. (Edit: I'm not sure over-lofting is the right term... I mean to say that you're striking the ball higher than optimal, and on an upward trajectory. The more I think about it, I think I meant under-lofting. It's as though you're imparting top spin, when bottom spin is what the club set-up is designed for.)

Of course, I don't know much about golf. I'm going based upon my basic understanding of physics and the ball dynamics.

Edited by WoodHeads, 11 November 2018 - 09:35 PM.

#3 dannykos

dannykos

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2018 - 03:56 PM

WoodHeads, on 11 November 2018 - 09:33 PM, said:

When comparing your 7 iron vs driver, it looks like you're "popping up" on contact, which is possibly hurting your distance, as you may end up over-lofting the ball. (Edit: I'm not sure over-lofting is the right term... I mean to say that you're striking the ball higher than optimal, and on an upward trajectory. The more I think about it, I think I meant under-lofting. It's as though you're imparting top spin, when bottom spin is what the club set-up is designed for.)

Of course, I don't know much about golf. I'm going based upon my basic understanding of physics and the ball dynamics.

Thanks for the reply. You're definitely right in that I'm coming up on the ball on my irons - just want to try and find some of the inital root causes for something to work on. I think my left knee is moving inwards way to much, causing the reverse pivot?

#4 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 23,215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
GolfWRX Likes : 24317

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:05 PM

Sir you remind me of Sean Connery.  One ping only Vaseli.

#5 dannykos

dannykos

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:47 PM

DavePelz4, on 14 November 2018 - 04:05 PM, said:

As a golfer, or just my rugged good looks? :cheesy:

#6 cardoustie

cardoustie

haha, we don't play for 5's

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,080 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 7225

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:37 PM

Where's Moneypenny?

I don't think your action or size is that bad

Will leave critique to the experts
TMade '16 M2 10.75* Diamana BBoard 53x
Ping G400 3w 14.5* Aldila Green NV 75x
Callaway GBB 5w 18* Aldila NVS Pink 85x
Callaway Apex 3h 20* Matrix MFS 85x
Callaway Apex 4h 25* Matrix Altus Red 92x
Ping Rapture J Spec 5-6i Altus Xcon HX3
Ping s55 7 - PW Nippon 1150x
Callaway Forged Copper 50*
Vokey SM6 Brushed Cu 54*M & 58*M  
Piretti Matera Elite

#7 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 23,215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
GolfWRX Likes : 24317

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:58 PM

dannykos, on 14 November 2018 - 06:47 PM, said:

DavePelz4, on 14 November 2018 - 04:05 PM, said:

As a golfer, or just my rugged good looks? :cheesy:

Of course.

#8 CheckJV

CheckJV

Male Model

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93640
GolfWRX Likes : 774

Posted 14 November 2018 - 09:06 PM

That’s one of the slowest swings I’ve ever seen. Hope the swing experts on here can fix you up. Best of luck.

#9 WoodHeads

WoodHeads

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 514170
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted Yesterday, 03:51 PM

I watched the video again and noticed two things:

Set-up - I'm not sure if I'm plain wrong on this one, but I try to set-up forward (toward the hole) with my body, which often places my head in front of the ball. It seems you do the opposite. Since I'm the consummate "lifetime beginner," I'll assume I'm doing it incorrectly, but I can't imagine your set up is helping things, either. I know that you're supposed to drop your shoulder a little, but I'm not sure that the drop is supposed to take the rest of your body out of alignment. I would say try setting up so that your feet are no further apart than the inside of your armpits, if that makes sense. That way, you don't end up having to have your feet SUPER far apart on your longer irons.

0:22 - Your left knee is in front of your shoulders, which is likely taking you off balance. Again, you might benefit from bringing your feet closer together, but maybe flexing your knees slightly more. If you find that your club is too far from the ball, try to set up closer to the ball. I know, myself, that it's tough to do, if your belly is in the way, but I don't think you'll have that problem. That might help solve some of the contact issue, with the iron, as you'll contact on the downswing path, rather than the upswing path.

Oh, I decided to watch your driver swing, again, your head is bobbing a lot. I didn't notice it the first time, since you seemed to make good contact. Also, you set up your body more forward, since you set the ball more forward in your stance. I think doing so helped with keeping your momentum forward, so maybe try that with all your clubs, just to see.

#10 Bingo1976

Bingo1976

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194780
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1523

Posted Today, 03:21 AM

You are fanning the club face open on the takeaway, and overswinging. Try and feel like you are picking the club straight up with wrist hinge not wrist roll. For a guy of your size, I'd expect a 3/4 swing to be the most powerful - you must be losing a lot of resistance with the over turn.

Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR
TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, Matrix Ozik R
Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S
Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S
Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200
Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS HiRev
Odyssey O-Works Black 34"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 dannykos

dannykos

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  •  

Posted Today, 12:19 PM

WoodHeads, on 15 November 2018 - 03:51 PM, said:

I watched the video again and noticed two things:

Set-up - I'm not sure if I'm plain wrong on this one, but I try to set-up forward (toward the hole) with my body, which often places my head in front of the ball. It seems you do the opposite. Since I'm the consummate "lifetime beginner," I'll assume I'm doing it incorrectly, but I can't imagine your set up is helping things, either. I know that you're supposed to drop your shoulder a little, but I'm not sure that the drop is supposed to take the rest of your body out of alignment. I would say try setting up so that your feet are no further apart than the inside of your armpits, if that makes sense. That way, you don't end up having to have your feet SUPER far apart on your longer irons.

0:22 - Your left knee is in front of your shoulders, which is likely taking you off balance. Again, you might benefit from bringing your feet closer together, but maybe flexing your knees slightly more. If you find that your club is too far from the ball, try to set up closer to the ball. I know, myself, that it's tough to do, if your belly is in the way, but I don't think you'll have that problem. That might help solve some of the contact issue, with the iron, as you'll contact on the downswing path, rather than the upswing path.

Oh, I decided to watch your driver swing, again, your head is bobbing a lot. I didn't notice it the first time, since you seemed to make good contact. Also, you set up your body more forward, since you set the ball more forward in your stance. I think doing so helped with keeping your momentum forward, so maybe try that with all your clubs, just to see.

Yes, my head is all over the place - mainly as a result of the overswing and reverse pivot. It's really hard to stop!

#12 dannykos

dannykos

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  •  

Posted Today, 12:23 PM

Bingo1976, on 16 November 2018 - 03:21 AM, said:

You are fanning the club face open on the takeaway, and overswinging. Try and feel like you are picking the club straight up with wrist hinge not wrist roll. For a guy of your size, I'd expect a 3/4 swing to be the most powerful - you must be losing a lot of resistance with the over turn.

I was always taught that when the club head was waist high on the backswing, that the toe should be pointing straight up. Is that what you mean by 'fanning'?

I do lose lots of resistance on the overswing, as you can see, my body sort of buckles under the pressure in various places. I'd love to be able to only swing back to 3/4 - but I have no idea how to change my current rhythm and swing length.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors