Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Playing Riviera.


31 replies to this topic

#1 TinkerGolfMan

TinkerGolfMan

    Tinker Golf Man

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 332457
  • Joined: 08/08/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:44 PM

Anyone a member at Riv, or know anyone here that is. I've been trying to play that course for some time, but haven't found anybody to get me on!

Would love to be a guest for a day! I'm a friendly person and I won't hack up the course! LOL

TaylorMade 2017 M1 9.5°, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Blue, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
TaylorMade 2017 M2 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Aldila Rogue 125 Tour Edition, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
Nike Golf Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
Mizuno JPX 919/ 4-6 Forged Irons /7-PW Tour Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
Artisan Golf ★ custom 50°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
Artisan Golf ★ custom 54°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
Artisan Golf ★ custom 58°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
Titleist Scotty Cameron 2016 Select Newport 2, SC Custom Shop work: Black Refinish, High-Buff shaft band, Yellow School Bus SC Matador, Face/Weight Stamps.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 WildcatGolfer

WildcatGolfer

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134286
  • Joined: 07/26/2011
  • Location:Los Angeles
  • Handicap:6.3
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:52 AM

Is this how this works? Sign me up too
Shovels
Rakes
2x4s
Baseball Bat

2

#3 Thunder Dan

Thunder Dan

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205017
  • Joined: 09/28/2012
  • Location:In the trees
GolfWRX Likes : 483

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:44 AM

View PostWildcatGolfer, on 09 November 2018 - 02:52 AM, said:

Is this how this works? Sign me up too

Me too, might at well round out the threesome when the member welcomes us.


In all seriousness, try the charity auction route. Round up 2 buddies and be ready to write the check. Riv pops up on CharityBuzz a few times a year.

Edited by Thunder Dan, 09 November 2018 - 03:45 AM.


3

#4 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Joined: 06/22/2015
  • Location:AZ
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 5030

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:02 AM

You guys are in luck!  All 3 of you meet me at Riv Saturday morning, we have a 9:54 tee time.

4

#5 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33930
  • Joined: 07/07/2007
  • Location:Los Angeles
GolfWRX Likes : 3192

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:08 PM

I have a buddy who was a member who just quit. We were just becoming friends as he was quitting.

Ping GMax 400 10.5
Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
Royal Collection 3, 4 h
Royal Collection 5-W
RomaRo Pro 3-W
TM P790 4-AW
Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
Cameron Futura 5W

If you see any more new irons before 2020, call the paramedics because my wife will have seriously injured me

5

#6 farmer

farmer

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
  • Joined: 12/02/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 3276

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:17 PM

View Postwmblake2000, on 09 November 2018 - 12:08 PM, said:

I have a buddy who was a member who just quit. We were just becoming friends as he was quitting.
What a thoughtless bastxxx.

6

#7 Thunder Dan

Thunder Dan

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205017
  • Joined: 09/28/2012
  • Location:In the trees
GolfWRX Likes : 483

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:36 PM

View Postgolfandfishing, on 09 November 2018 - 08:02 AM, said:

You guys are in luck!  All 3 of you meet me at Riv Saturday morning, we have a 9:54 tee time.

meet you on the 9th green at 9?

7

#8 TMfan54

TMfan54

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59407
  • Joined: 07/02/2008
  • Location:NJ
  • Handicap:0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:56 PM

Can we make it two groups? Maybe Pine Valley next week? Would also love to play Augusta
M2 9.5* HRZDUS Yellow
Tour Edge Exotics 15* E8 Beta Alidila Rogue
Titleist T-MB 2 iron HRZDUS Black
Miura 4-PW raw Tournament Blades KBS black nickel
Miura 52 & 56* K grind DG TI
Vokey SM6 62*
Odyssey Two Ball

8

#9 johnnylongball

johnnylongball

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29601
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:Nashville, TN
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:27 PM

I was going to be in LA a few years ago so I called Riviera to see if they allowed reciprocal play or not.  I wasn't going to ask my pro to waste his time calling if it was a non-starter.  They did allow reciprocal play at that time.  Cost was going to approx. $1K per man.

9

#10 WildcatGolfer

WildcatGolfer

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134286
  • Joined: 07/26/2011
  • Location:Los Angeles
  • Handicap:6.3
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:14 PM

View Postjohnnylongball, on 09 November 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

I was going to be in LA a few years ago so I called Riviera to see if they allowed reciprocal play or not.  I wasn't going to ask my pro to waste his time calling if it was a non-starter.  They did allow reciprocal play at that time.  Cost was going to approx. $1K per man.

Unaccompanied is always crazy. have heard guest rates are far more reasonable

Shovels
Rakes
2x4s
Baseball Bat

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 sharkiesj

sharkiesj

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6582
  • Joined: 10/09/2005
  • Location:SoCal
GolfWRX Likes : 1189

Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:59 PM

So howíd it go last Sat at 9:54am?

11

#12 WildcatGolfer

WildcatGolfer

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134286
  • Joined: 07/26/2011
  • Location:Los Angeles
  • Handicap:6.3
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 11 November 2018 - 11:09 PM

View Postsharkiesj, on 11 November 2018 - 07:59 PM, said:

So howíd it go last Sat at 9:54am?

A dream. Birdied 1 but went 12 over the rest of The way. Took hybrid on 10 since I know that question is next.
Shovels
Rakes
2x4s
Baseball Bat

12

#13 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Joined: 06/22/2015
  • Location:AZ
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 5030

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:48 AM

View PostWildcatGolfer, on 11 November 2018 - 11:09 PM, said:

View Postsharkiesj, on 11 November 2018 - 07:59 PM, said:

So howíd it go last Sat at 9:54am?

A dream. Birdied 1 but went 12 over the rest of The way. Took hybrid on 10 since I know that question is next.

You played 10 textbook!  The front pin is easy one though. Come back for the member guest when itís all the way back right

13

#14 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

    Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,056 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
  • Joined: 09/18/2007
  • Location:Arizona
GolfWRX Likes : 1868

Posted 14 November 2018 - 07:27 AM

View PostTinkerGolfMan, on 07 November 2018 - 05:44 PM, said:

Anyone a member at Riv, or know anyone here that is. I've been trying to play that course for some time, but haven't found anybody to get me on!

Would love to be a guest for a day! I'm a friendly person and I won't hack up the course! LOL

Dude, if you want to be a successful access ho, you need to hone your skills.

14

#15 dpb5031

dpb5031

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,699 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
  • Joined: 10/21/2008
  • Location:Central NJ
GolfWRX Likes : 2960

Posted 14 November 2018 - 07:44 AM

This thread reminds me if a funny story that I've shared here before but is worth repeating. (sorry in advance for its length)  

About 10 years ago I got invited to play Riviera. I received the invitation on Thursday night for a 1 pm Saturday tee time, scrambled to find a last minute flight from NJ and made it out there late Friday.  Our host member was Sugar Ray Leonard and we had an awesome time, lunch, golf, then ending up at his house for cocktails after the round.

Anyway, that's not the funny part, this is:

A good friend of mine is a hotshot NJ lawyer with Hollywood looks and the gift of gab. His daughter was getting married in LA and because I had played Riviera the prior year, he asked me if I thought he could get on the course. I told him they were pretty laid back there and he should just roll in like he owned the place and try to charm his way on...lol! (very much within his character)

Well, he shows up at the guard booth and tells them that he's in town because his daughter was getting married and he wanted to check the place out, blah, blah, blah, so without further ado, they let him in.  (Apparently there WAS a wedding scheduled...just not HIS daughter's, but the guards assumed that's what he meant, so of course they let the father of the bride in!)

Anyway, he proceeds to walk into the clubhouse like he owns the place, starts shopping in the pro shop, etc., yucking it up with members and having one of the asst. pros help him choose merchandise, etc....lol.  He then tried to schedule a tee time for the following day. They were like, "Ok, what's your name again?"

Let's just say it didn't end well and he was politely but briskly escorted from the premises.  I'll give him credit though, he was there for over an hour!

(Just typing this has me lol'ing for real! 😁)

USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
Ping G 22 Hybrid (2 flat) - Ping Tour 80 S
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

15

#16 Barfolomew

Barfolomew

    #worstWRXer

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379468
  • Joined: 06/07/2015
  • Location:Cruisin Sunset
GolfWRX Likes : 444

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:38 PM

How much to just play #10..... and I'm driving the green!
G30 LS
M2 BMW
XR 4 Hybrid
OnOffOnAgain Kuros
Cleveland Blob
Square Strike
SeeMore Butts

16

#17 Thunder Dan

Thunder Dan

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205017
  • Joined: 09/28/2012
  • Location:In the trees
GolfWRX Likes : 483

Posted 17 November 2018 - 03:18 PM

View Postdpb5031, on 14 November 2018 - 07:44 AM, said:

This thread reminds me if a funny story that I've shared here before but is worth repeating. (sorry in advance for its length)  

About 10 years ago I got invited to play Riviera. I received the invitation on Thursday night for a 1 pm Saturday tee time, scrambled to find a last minute flight from NJ and made it out there late Friday.  Our host member was Sugar Ray Leonard and we had an awesome time, lunch, golf, then ending up at his house for cocktails after the round.

Anyway, that's not the funny part, this is:

A good friend of mine is a hotshot NJ lawyer with Hollywood looks and the gift of gab. His daughter was getting married in LA and because I had played Riviera the prior year, he asked me if I thought he could get on the course. I told him they were pretty laid back there and he should just roll in like he owned the place and try to charm his way on...lol! (very much within his character)

Well, he shows up at the guard booth and tells them that he's in town because his daughter was getting married and he wanted to check the place out, blah, blah, blah, so without further ado, they let him in.  (Apparently there WAS a wedding scheduled...just not HIS daughter's, but the guards assumed that's what he meant, so of course they let the father of the bride in!)

Anyway, he proceeds to walk into the clubhouse like he owns the place, starts shopping in the pro shop, etc., yucking it up with members and having one of the asst. pros help him choose merchandise, etc....lol.  He then tried to schedule a tee time for the following day. They were like, "Ok, what's your name again?"

Let's just say it didn't end well and he was politely but briskly escorted from the premises.  I'll give him credit though, he was there for over an hour!

(Just typing this has me lol'ing for real! 😁)

Iíve always wondered what would happen if you just rolled up and went shopping the in pro shop at some of these places.. I mean do they say no to a guy dropping $400 on gear?

17

#18 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
  • Joined: 12/17/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 1775

Posted 17 November 2018 - 03:31 PM

View PostThunder Dan, on 17 November 2018 - 03:18 PM, said:

View Postdpb5031, on 14 November 2018 - 07:44 AM, said:

This thread reminds me if a funny story that I've shared here before but is worth repeating. (sorry in advance for its length)  

About 10 years ago I got invited to play Riviera. I received the invitation on Thursday night for a 1 pm Saturday tee time, scrambled to find a last minute flight from NJ and made it out there late Friday.  Our host member was Sugar Ray Leonard and we had an awesome time, lunch, golf, then ending up at his house for cocktails after the round.

Anyway, that's not the funny part, this is:

A good friend of mine is a hotshot NJ lawyer with Hollywood looks and the gift of gab. His daughter was getting married in LA and because I had played Riviera the prior year, he asked me if I thought he could get on the course. I told him they were pretty laid back there and he should just roll in like he owned the place and try to charm his way on...lol! (very much within his character)

Well, he shows up at the guard booth and tells them that he's in town because his daughter was getting married and he wanted to check the place out, blah, blah, blah, so without further ado, they let him in.  (Apparently there WAS a wedding scheduled...just not HIS daughter's, but the guards assumed that's what he meant, so of course they let the father of the bride in!)

Anyway, he proceeds to walk into the clubhouse like he owns the place, starts shopping in the pro shop, etc., yucking it up with members and having one of the asst. pros help him choose merchandise, etc....lol.  He then tried to schedule a tee time for the following day. They were like, "Ok, what's your name again?"

Let's just say it didn't end well and he was politely but briskly escorted from the premises.  I'll give him credit though, he was there for over an hour!

(Just typing this has me lol'ing for real! 😁)

Iíve always wondered what would happen if you just rolled up and went shopping the in pro shop at some of these places.. I mean do they say no to a guy dropping $400 on gear?

Most of them are pretty happy to take your money. Itís probably fewer than half a dozen clubs highly ranked clubs that wouldnít.

18

#19 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Joined: 06/22/2015
  • Location:AZ
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 5030

Posted 17 November 2018 - 03:50 PM

View PostThunder Dan, on 17 November 2018 - 03:18 PM, said:

View Postdpb5031, on 14 November 2018 - 07:44 AM, said:

This thread reminds me if a funny story that I've shared here before but is worth repeating. (sorry in advance for its length)  

About 10 years ago I got invited to play Riviera. I received the invitation on Thursday night for a 1 pm Saturday tee time, scrambled to find a last minute flight from NJ and made it out there late Friday.  Our host member was Sugar Ray Leonard and we had an awesome time, lunch, golf, then ending up at his house for cocktails after the round.

Anyway, that's not the funny part, this is:

A good friend of mine is a hotshot NJ lawyer with Hollywood looks and the gift of gab. His daughter was getting married in LA and because I had played Riviera the prior year, he asked me if I thought he could get on the course. I told him they were pretty laid back there and he should just roll in like he owned the place and try to charm his way on...lol! (very much within his character)

Well, he shows up at the guard booth and tells them that he's in town because his daughter was getting married and he wanted to check the place out, blah, blah, blah, so without further ado, they let him in.  (Apparently there WAS a wedding scheduled...just not HIS daughter's, but the guards assumed that's what he meant, so of course they let the father of the bride in!)

Anyway, he proceeds to walk into the clubhouse like he owns the place, starts shopping in the pro shop, etc., yucking it up with members and having one of the asst. pros help him choose merchandise, etc....lol.  He then tried to schedule a tee time for the following day. They were like, "Ok, what's your name again?"

Let's just say it didn't end well and he was politely but briskly escorted from the premises.  I'll give him credit though, he was there for over an hour!

(Just typing this has me lol'ing for real! 😁)

Iíve always wondered what would happen if you just rolled up and went shopping the in pro shop at some of these places.. I mean do they say no to a guy dropping $400 on gear?

A (very) few will indeed turn you away. A lot donít accept cc either, so the number grows if you donít have cash. The vast majority of even the most exclusive clubs will take your money if you have a form of payment they accept. The golf shop staffís job isnít to vet you, if you made it that far you are welcome as far as they are concerned and will treat you like royalty until given a reason not to.

19

#20 schley

schley

    Love ya don't tell ya enough!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Joined: 06/22/2008
  • Location:Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 311

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:34 PM

Riviera does take CC's in the pro shop I can verify from our round there this summer.  Very well stocked too as you can imagine. LACC however has to charge everything to a members account so no CC's at all.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 johnnylongball

johnnylongball

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29601
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:Nashville, TN
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 19 November 2018 - 12:31 PM

View Postschley, on 17 November 2018 - 08:34 PM, said:

Riviera does take CC's in the pro shop I can verify from our round there this summer.  Very well stocked too as you can imagine. LACC however has to charge everything to a members account so no CC's at all.

Unless LACC's policy has changed in the past few years, this information is not accurate.

21

#22 WestCoastHacker

WestCoastHacker

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182816
  • Joined: 05/24/2012
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 19 November 2018 - 12:51 PM

View Postjohnnylongball, on 19 November 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

View Postschley, on 17 November 2018 - 08:34 PM, said:

Riviera does take CC's in the pro shop I can verify from our round there this summer.  Very well stocked too as you can imagine. LACC however has to charge everything to a members account so no CC's at all.

Unless LACC's policy has changed in the past few years, this information is not accurate.

Check out the payment tab.  I haven't played there yet so I can't confirm from actual experience.

https://www.thelacc.org/guest-info
915D2 (10.5)
915F 3w
913H (19) - Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY
Titleist AP3 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Vokey SM7 (50, 54 & 60)
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 (2012)

22

#23 schley

schley

    Love ya don't tell ya enough!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Joined: 06/22/2008
  • Location:Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 311

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:07 PM

View PostWestCoastHacker, on 19 November 2018 - 12:51 PM, said:

View Postjohnnylongball, on 19 November 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

View Postschley, on 17 November 2018 - 08:34 PM, said:

Riviera does take CC's in the pro shop I can verify from our round there this summer.  Very well stocked too as you can imagine. LACC however has to charge everything to a members account so no CC's at all.

Unless LACC's policy has changed in the past few years, this information is not accurate.

Check out the payment tab.  I haven't played there yet so I can't confirm from actual experience.

https://www.thelacc.org/guest-info

I can, I just played there 10 days ago and there were NO CC's allowed, everything had to be put on the account of the member. BTW there has been huge amounts of pro shop spend by some guests. 1 guy I heard spent over 5k with a shirt in every color in his size.  Love the LACC logo.

Edited by schley, 19 November 2018 - 08:08 PM.


23

#24 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
  • Joined: 12/17/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 1775

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:10 PM

View Postschley, on 19 November 2018 - 08:07 PM, said:

View PostWestCoastHacker, on 19 November 2018 - 12:51 PM, said:

View Postjohnnylongball, on 19 November 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

View Postschley, on 17 November 2018 - 08:34 PM, said:

Riviera does take CC's in the pro shop I can verify from our round there this summer.  Very well stocked too as you can imagine. LACC however has to charge everything to a members account so no CC's at all.

Unless LACC's policy has changed in the past few years, this information is not accurate.

Check out the payment tab.  I haven't played there yet so I can't confirm from actual experience.

https://www.thelacc.org/guest-info

I can, I just played there 10 days ago and there were NO CC's allowed, everything had to be put on the account of the member. BTW there has been huge amounts of pro shop spend by some guests. 1 guy I heard spent over 5k with a shirt in every color in his size.  Love the LACC logo.

How do you manage that with the member? I would feel super awkward buying $5K of stuff on somebody elseís account...uh, Iíll venmo it to you...

24

#25 schley

schley

    Love ya don't tell ya enough!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Joined: 06/22/2008
  • Location:Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 311

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:13 PM

View Postraynorfan1, on 19 November 2018 - 08:10 PM, said:

View Postschley, on 19 November 2018 - 08:07 PM, said:

View PostWestCoastHacker, on 19 November 2018 - 12:51 PM, said:

View Postjohnnylongball, on 19 November 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

View Postschley, on 17 November 2018 - 08:34 PM, said:

Riviera does take CC's in the pro shop I can verify from our round there this summer.  Very well stocked too as you can imagine. LACC however has to charge everything to a members account so no CC's at all.

Unless LACC's policy has changed in the past few years, this information is not accurate.

Check out the payment tab.  I haven't played there yet so I can't confirm from actual experience.

https://www.thelacc.org/guest-info

I can, I just played there 10 days ago and there were NO CC's allowed, everything had to be put on the account of the member. BTW there has been huge amounts of pro shop spend by some guests. 1 guy I heard spent over 5k with a shirt in every color in his size.  Love the LACC logo.

How do you manage that with the member? I would feel super awkward buying $5K of stuff on somebody else's account...uh, I'll venmo it to you...
No idea. Another caveat is that they actually have notes posted in the drawers of shirts under the displays that XL's are for members only.  This wasn't enforced as I bought an XL.


25

#26 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
  • Joined: 12/17/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 1775

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:30 PM

View Postschley, on 19 November 2018 - 08:13 PM, said:

No idea. Another caveat is that they actually have notes posted in the drawers of shirts under the displays that XL's are for members only.  This wasn't enforced as I bought an XL.

LOL: no fat guests!

Seriously though; I get (though don't necessarily agree with) snooty rules that inconvenience guests. This one though (the charge to a member's account only) must cause all kinds of pain and suffering for members. It would just be such an inconvenience to the membership - and will only get worse as guest demand goes up with the US Open on the books. I just can't see how it's sustainable.

The real thing that tipped the balance away from membership accounts to cash/credit cards at my club's pro shop though...was that it was impossible to hide the club bill from your wife...

26

#27 manku

manku

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425594
  • Joined: 05/17/2016
  • Location:Los Angeles
GolfWRX Likes : 406

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:37 AM

Can't charge to a CC or cash at Brentwood either...and I don't recall Bel Air having that option either.

In fact, almost no high end private clubs that I've played allow guests to pay...everything must be charged to the member.

And LACC definitely won't let you...

Why would a club allow CC...costs them 2-3% of sales, they have to create a different payment system etc...anyone who is good friends with a member should be able to buy a couple shirts and hats.

27

#28 SkiSchoolPro

SkiSchoolPro

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469938
  • Joined: 06/01/2017
  • Location:Colorado
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 286

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:56 AM

There are tax and other benefits to being truly private.

https://www.irs.gov/...ts/social-clubs

The club may not hold itself out as providing goods and services to the general public.
Golfing when I can, Ski Coaching, Instructing and Guiding all winter at Vail, Beaver Creek, Copper Mountain, Keystone and Breckenridge.

28

#29 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
  • Joined: 12/17/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 1775

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:05 AM

View Postmanku, on 25 November 2018 - 12:37 AM, said:

Why would a club allow CC...costs them 2-3% of sales, they have to create a different payment system etc...anyone who is good friends with a member should be able to buy a couple shirts and hats.

I think there are a few reasons. You're going to do more business from guests in the pro shop if you offer credit card payments. It's not uncommon for guests at better clubs to drop $500+ in the pro shop. They wouldn't spend nearly as much if it had to run through a member's account.

Second, there's the pure inconvenience to the member of having to buy stuff and have it reimbursed. Everybody feels pretty good about paying for a round of golf that you've invited somebody to play...but I'm not going to be on the hook for the shirt that you want to buy for your father in law.

Third, as any Golfwrx'er can appreciate, you need to be able to sell the members golf clubs "off the record". This goes both ways - wives who buy a new driver for their husband at Christmas (I've heard that that happens...) don't want it to show up on the November billing statement. Guys need a way to buy things that don't hit the ledger. Credit cards are one reasonable way to do this.

View PostSkiSchoolPro, on 25 November 2018 - 12:56 AM, said:

There are tax and other benefits to being truly private.

https://www.irs.gov/...ts/social-clubs

The club may not hold itself out as providing goods and services to the general public.

The 501©7 rules aren't a big deal for pro shop sales. The club can't advertise ("hold itself out") as having an open-to-the-public pro shop, but you can generate up to 15% of gross income from non-member sources, and the pro shop is just never going to generate those numbers (especially without advertising).

29

#30 BMC

BMC

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108173
  • Joined: 05/18/2010
  • Location:The South
  • Handicap:YES
GolfWRX Likes : 3067

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:38 AM

View Postraynorfan1, on 25 November 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

View Postmanku, on 25 November 2018 - 12:37 AM, said:

Why would a club allow CC...costs them 2-3% of sales, they have to create a different payment system etc...anyone who is good friends with a member should be able to buy a couple shirts and hats.

I think there are a few reasons. You're going to do more business from guests in the pro shop if you offer credit card payments. It's not uncommon for guests at better clubs to drop $500+ in the pro shop. They wouldn't spend nearly as much if it had to run through a member's account.

Second, there's the pure inconvenience to the member of having to buy stuff and have it reimbursed. Everybody feels pretty good about paying for a round of golf that you've invited somebody to play...but I'm not going to be on the hook for the shirt that you want to buy for your father in law.

Third, as any Golfwrx'er can appreciate, you need to be able to sell the members golf clubs "off the record". This goes both ways - wives who buy a new driver for their husband at Christmas (I've heard that that happens...) don't want it to show up on the November billing statement. Guys need a way to buy things that don't hit the ledger. Credit cards are one reasonable way to do this.

View PostSkiSchoolPro, on 25 November 2018 - 12:56 AM, said:

There are tax and other benefits to being truly private.

https://www.irs.gov/...ts/social-clubs

The club may not hold itself out as providing goods and services to the general public.

The 501©7 rules aren't a big deal for pro shop sales. The club can't advertise ("hold itself out") as having an open-to-the-public pro shop, but you can generate up to 15% of gross income from non-member sources, and the pro shop is just never going to generate those numbers (especially without advertising).

Exactly correct above.  I work at a big private.  Also, private clubs that host PGA or high level am events will take credit cards.

I sold Vijay a plain golf bag (must have lost sponsor) and Jerry Kelly's wife an umbrella.  Both with credit cards.

And member's use the cc often to hide a purchase or get a tax deduction on a business expense.

Callaway Rogue driver / Cobra SS 350 driver
PING Rapture OG 3 wood
Cobra Baffler Pro 4-hybrid
MacGregor VIP MBs (1990) 4-PW
Vokey wedges
Odyssey #1WS

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors