Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Attended my first College Event


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kekoa

kekoa

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1919

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:46 PM

Just thought I would share some of my random thoughts on College Golf after attending a practice round for the St. Mary's Invitational being held at Poppy Hills Golf Course this week.  We happened to be up North for the Monterey Challenge so we decided to visit  Poppy Hills to see if my son and his buddy could play for $5.  Gotta love YOC.  Anyhow, they were pretty booked so the boys went to the range instead.  They were able to hit balls with some of the players from SDSU, Colorado State, and Cal Poly.  Very cool.  The players were very approachable and open to chatting with the boys.

After hitting some balls, we headed to the 10th tee as some of the players were making the turn, which is where we met and talked with the head coach from St. Mary's (Mike Hardy).  Very nice guy btw.  Anyhow, I briefly asked him what he looks for in a player and if he had any tips for our juniors:   First thing he said, was you can't play golf with bad grades.  That was cool for my son to hear directly from an actual golf coach and not me.  Secondly, like most coaches, he uses the junior golf scoreboard to recruit.  He mentions that he gets a lot of letters etc. from players, but if their rankings aren't there, he just moves on.  Thirdly, he urged the boys to play multiple sports.  All points that have been made countless times by others who are more experienced than myself when it comes to College Golf.

As we stood on the tee, the guys from BYU roll up and we also spoke a bit to the coach and a few players.  We watched 5 of the BYU players tee off and I was blown away as to how well they hit it.  Not sure where BYU is ranked, but now I really want to see some of the other top programs in action.

Anyhow, here are a few pics

Attached File  IMG_7992.jpg   186.2K   15 downloads

Attached File  IMG_8011.jpg   142.68K   13 downloads

Edited by kekoa, 05 November 2018 - 02:47 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 hattrick23

hattrick23

    hattrick23

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 287211
  • Joined: 12/09/2013
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:52 PM

Sounds like a great experience for you and your son. I am in the sunset of my youngest sons college golf career as he is a senior this year. My son played his junior golf in northern California with a lot of other talented boys and girls. It was a great experience. Keep exposing your son to these cool experiences. Most college tournaments do not have a large amount of spectators other than parents or friends so I am sure that most college golfers would enjoy interacting with kids on the range and during a practice round. It may be not as easy once the tournament starts, so keep that in mind. I also second the opinion of playing other sports as that provides a boost to athleticism and also provides further experience in a team environment. Golf does not provide many team experiences until high school and college (You still compete essentially in an individual aspect within the team aspect). Both my sons competed in another sport (ice hockey) at the AAA level until a senior in high school therefore played golf only 6 months a year. We were lucky that hockey is an opposite season sport from golf.
I was also surprised at the level of golf in college. There are exceptional golfers in the top 100-150 ranked teams in division 1, the higher ranked teams just have more depth through the lineup. There are also very good golfers at D2, D3 and NAIA teams but not as much depth. The top 250-300 golfers in D1 average under par in tournament rounds that are setup as long and tough as Pro tournaments.
Enjoy your time in junior golf and the experiences with your son. I cherish the time with my sons in golf. It sounds like you are asking the right questions of coaches and doing your homework.
I rambled on here but these are just my opinions. Each situation is different but I wish you the best on your journey.

2

#3 kekoa

kekoa

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1919

Posted 05 November 2018 - 10:35 PM

Hey hattrick I appreciate the insight. So cool that your kids played college golf.

After day 1 BYU is leading at -13.  Their #1 guy shot -10. Wtf!!  
The #1 am in the world from USC shot +4. Smh

3

#4 Shades234

Shades234

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446016
  • Joined: 11/08/2016
  • Location:San Diego
  • Handicap:0.3
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:42 PM

Was it Kuest with the -10? Dude's the real deal.

4

#5 kekoa

kekoa

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1919

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:17 PM

View PostShades234, on 06 November 2018 - 06:42 PM, said:

Was it Kuest with the -10? Dude's the real deal.

Yup. Course record too.  BYU is steamrolling everyone.


5

#6 leezer99

leezer99

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1023

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:12 PM

View Postkekoa, on 06 November 2018 - 10:17 PM, said:

View PostShades234, on 06 November 2018 - 06:42 PM, said:

Was it Kuest with the -10? Dude's the real deal.

Yup. Course record too.  BYU is steamrolling everyone.

The BYU steamroller ran out of gas... USC with the huge comeback.

GolfStat Saint Mary's Invitational

6

#7 kekoa

kekoa

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1919

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:56 AM

View Postleezer99, on 07 November 2018 - 08:12 PM, said:

View Postkekoa, on 06 November 2018 - 10:17 PM, said:

View PostShades234, on 06 November 2018 - 06:42 PM, said:

Was it Kuest with the -10? Dude's the real deal.

Yup. Course record too.  BYU is steamrolling everyone.

The BYU steamroller ran out of gas... USC with the huge comeback.

GolfStat Saint Mary's Invitational

I saw that. Just nuts!!!

7

#8 mrshinsa

mrshinsa

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476520
  • Joined: 07/26/2017
  • Location:Bay Area, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:35 PM

View Postkekoa, on 05 November 2018 - 10:35 PM, said:

Hey hattrick I appreciate the insight. So cool that your kids played college golf.

After day 1 BYU is leading at -13.  Their #1 guy shot -10. Wtf!!  
The #1 am in the world from USC shot +4. Smh

That guy from USC is a household name here in the Bay Area.
He's in talk with his sponsor right now for 7 figure, I hear...

Edited by mrshinsa, 08 November 2018 - 02:35 PM.


8

#9 leezer99

leezer99

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1023

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:50 PM

View Postmrshinsa, on 08 November 2018 - 02:35 PM, said:

View Postkekoa, on 05 November 2018 - 10:35 PM, said:

Hey hattrick I appreciate the insight. So cool that your kids played college golf.

After day 1 BYU is leading at -13.  Their #1 guy shot -10. Wtf!!  
The #1 am in the world from USC shot +4. Smh

That guy from USC is a household name here in the Bay Area.
He's in talk with his sponsor right now for 7 figure, I hear...

Honma?

9

#10 mrshinsa

mrshinsa

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476520
  • Joined: 07/26/2017
  • Location:Bay Area, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:04 PM

View Postleezer99, on 08 November 2018 - 02:50 PM, said:

View Postmrshinsa, on 08 November 2018 - 02:35 PM, said:

View Postkekoa, on 05 November 2018 - 10:35 PM, said:

Hey hattrick I appreciate the insight. So cool that your kids played college golf.

After day 1 BYU is leading at -13.  Their #1 guy shot -10. Wtf!!  
The #1 am in the world from USC shot +4. Smh

That guy from USC is a household name here in the Bay Area.
He's in talk with his sponsor right now for 7 figure, I hear...

Honma?

:stop:
No, I'm not at discretion to reveal further details since its not final but...    King, Ming, Ling...

Edited by mrshinsa, 08 November 2018 - 03:04 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 kekoa

kekoa

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1919

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:29 PM

So Suh will likely turn pro after finishing his Junior year?

11

#12 mrshinsa

mrshinsa

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476520
  • Joined: 07/26/2017
  • Location:Bay Area, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:35 PM

View Postkekoa, on 08 November 2018 - 03:29 PM, said:

So Suh will likely turn pro after finishing his Junior year?

I cannot confirm or deny as I've never met him.  All I know is they're in talks.  
He's just a good friend of a dad in our local tour.  

Meanwhile, we're in our little world preparing for our local pee-wee golf this Sunday....  :to_become_senile:

12

#13 JKSB

JKSB

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 498204
  • Joined: 04/07/2018
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:08 PM

View Postmrshinsa, on 08 November 2018 - 03:35 PM, said:

View Postkekoa, on 08 November 2018 - 03:29 PM, said:

So Suh will likely turn pro after finishing his Junior year?

I cannot confirm or deny as I've never met him.  All I know is they're in talks.  
He's just a good friend of a dad in our local tour.  

Meanwhile, we're in our little world preparing for our local pee-wee golf this Sunday....  :to_become_senile:

Justin is a senior. His whole bag is Ping except maybe his putter (Nike?). He's a good kid.

13

#14 kekoa

kekoa

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1919

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:12 PM

View PostJKSB, on 08 November 2018 - 05:08 PM, said:

View Postmrshinsa, on 08 November 2018 - 03:35 PM, said:

View Postkekoa, on 08 November 2018 - 03:29 PM, said:

So Suh will likely turn pro after finishing his Junior year?

I cannot confirm or deny as I've never met him.  All I know is they're in talks.  
He's just a good friend of a dad in our local tour.  

Meanwhile, we're in our little world preparing for our local pee-wee golf this Sunday....  :to_become_senile:

Justin is a senior. His whole bag is Ping except maybe his putter (Nike?). He's a good kid.

You are correct.  In that case, I see no reason not to go pro.

14

#15 mrshinsa

mrshinsa

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476520
  • Joined: 07/26/2017
  • Location:Bay Area, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:24 PM

I don't know which subscription list I signed up for, but I got this in my inbox today:



Recruiting Information

 Players need to register with the NCAA Eligibility Center and have an Eligibility Center ID number
 Scores should be mid to low 70’s and playing from at least 6000 yards. This is where the Ping
College Golf guide comes into play. Input your scores and length of the golf course and see what
level (Pac 12, Mountain West, Big Sky) the player is at. This will also help the player decide on
what schools to contact through emails.
 Play in national tournaments as much as possible. Coaches do not really care much about HS
events. Play in the USGA Boys/ Girls Jr championship, US amateur qualifying. Junior World, play
in the FCWT in conjunction with JR World. Also, find out what tournaments coaches will be
recruiting at and play in them so the player can be seen.
 Coaches welcome a question or two from parents. Coaches want to hear from the player. This
is a way for coaches to get to know the player.
 It is always a good idea to visit a campus, but before you visit make sure the coach is interested
in the player. Arrange a day and time that works for the coach’s schedule. It is always a good
idea for the player to meet the coach to see if it is a fit for the player as well.
 Hiring a recruiter: 50/50 on how coaches feel about this. Many coaches feel like it is a waste of
money. Coaches want to know the player has done research on their specific school and is
personally sending the coach the emails, not a recruiting service. Coaches do not like it when a
player sends a mass emails to coaches. Typically, the email will be deleted without even being
read.
 Coaches are looking for 3.5 or higher and an SAT / ACT score of 1240 or 26
 Coaches like emails. Ask the coach what the best way is to communicate (text, email, phone
calls). Coaches communicate in different ways. It is also important to ask to set up a time to talk
on the phone. Once again, make sure the coach is interested in the Student-Athlete.
 Be patient, sometime a coach may not respond if they are on the road or swamped with their
current season. A follow up email is always good after a few weeks.
 When a player meets, the coach the coach wants to make sure the player is going to be a good
fit for their program. Will they fit in with the team? Good chemistry is very important. Coaches
are looking for players that want to work hard, will put the time into getting better, are
coachable, will be a good teammate and their values have to match up with the coach. Coaches
will look at how the player treat their parent’s; this is a direct indication of how they will treat
the coach. Coaches look for grit, can they come back after a big hole or do they just give up.

Edited by mrshinsa, 08 November 2018 - 05:25 PM.


15



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors