Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Let's play a game of What If...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 leezer99

leezer99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 1008

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:26 PM

Topic 1: Let's say you have the opportunity to have your junior golfer work with any of the top coaches in the country.  They just happen to live near you (either where you are now or you live where they coach), price isn't a concern and they seemingly get along.  What coach do you pick and why?

Topic 2: Same scenario but there is a current hindrance that prevents you from working with that particular coach.  Do you see another coach in the meantime and then switch once that hindrance is removed?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 kekoa

kekoa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1910

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:52 PM

Topic 1:
Butch Harmon.  I'm not sure if that's even possible given his stable of PGA players, but he is who I would chose.  Why?  I like his philosophy of working with what the player brings and tuning it instead of re-building a swing.  I also like the fact that he isn't a social media whore.  I don't know a lot of coaches, but I also like what David Wood and Chris Mayson are doing.

Topic 2:
Depends what that hindrance is.  But yes, I would go see another coach and who knows, things may just work out better with that new coach.

#3 leezer99

leezer99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 1008

Posted 05 November 2018 - 05:05 PM

View Postkekoa, on 05 November 2018 - 01:52 PM, said:

Topic 1:
Butch Harmon.  I'm not sure if that's even possible given his stable of PGA players, but he is who I would chose.  Why?  I like his philosophy of working with what the player brings and tuning it instead of re-building a swing.  I also like the fact that he isn't a social media whore.  I don't know a lot of coaches, but I also like what David Wood and Chris Mayson are doing.

Topic 2:
Depends what that hindrance is.  But yes, I would go see another coach and who knows, things may just work out better with that new coach.

This is a really good one.  Your comment on not being a social media whore is really funny.  So many coaches are doing this now it's comical... my son's coach refused to do the coach swing thing put out there by GG recently.  I think he was either called out by Como or Ruggiero.

#4 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 235

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:22 AM

I think players should pick a coach who has a track record of delivering results consistent with the objectives of the junior golfer.  If the aim is to be a professional tour player, then picking the coach that has helped talented young players take it to that level (not necessarily if they coach tour players AFTER they have already gotten to that level).  For 90% of junior tournament players that objective should probably be to maximize playing at a competitive college level.

On the second point, I think coach hopping can be counterproductive and best to just wait until can get the guy you want, unless there is a major swing flaw or fundamental deficiency that needs to be addressed.

#5 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:51 AM

We live near a good number of top coaches.  Most of them will teach juniors if they like what they see.  We have seen a few.

Here is what we found using them. All of them are good for fundamentals and will help you understand how to play better. You will initially learn a lot and improvement will be great for the golfer. Once you have the basic fundamentals down there usefulness decreases probably after about a dozen lessons. In some cases your better off with someone who has worked under them because they are just as good and you save a lot money.

The difference I have seen is a top teacher just does not teach a swing or technique but actually teaches the golfer to understand their swing.  Self awareness of what is happening is a big deal. Once that happens just practicing and playing is what makes improvement happen.

Some coaches are never ending lesson train and the costs add up.  With a top coach you will probly spend about 3-5k initially and then lessons will taper off and you will see them much less. A good assistant will be about half that.

Edited by tiger1873, 06 November 2018 - 07:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors