Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Asked To "Nerd Out" About His Game, Jordan Spieth Passes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 leezer99

leezer99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 1018

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:11 AM

What do you all think about Jordan's hard pass on 'nerding out' about what he's been working on in the off season?

Q. Will you nerd out a bit on us on those things you were trying to do?

JORDAN SPIETH: I can't, you know, because that's a competitive advantage for myself.

Asked To "Nerd Out" About His Game, Jordan Spieth Passes

Reminded me of this post from yellowlover519 about Off Season Swing Changes that got all of ONE response:  Off Season Swing Changes.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 cxx

cxx

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142023
GolfWRX Likes : 810

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:25 AM

If Jordan doesn't want to talk about the details of his work well that's fine.  This dude Shackelford seems a bit entitled, crying because someone doesn't want to answer his question the way he'd like.

#3 me05501

me05501

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499624
  • Ebay ID:mike_in_chattanooga
GolfWRX Likes : 331

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:31 AM

Golf at that level is extremely mental. Maybe he realizes that talking about that stuff isn't good for his mindspace. He doesn't owe anyone any of those sorts of answers.

Phil used to talk about all the major prep he did months ahead of time that was tailored toward that year's venues. It was interesting to hear him talk about but it seems like it rarely helped him win in the end.

#4 leezer99

leezer99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:38 AM

View Postcxx, on 02 November 2018 - 09:25 AM, said:

If Jordan doesn't want to talk about the details of his work well that's fine.  This dude Shackelford seems a bit entitled, crying because someone doesn't want to answer his question the way he'd like.

I am by no means a fan of Shackelford but he is a pretty well respected golf journalist.  Without speaking for him, I would say that a lot of other players are happy to open up on what they are working on to make themselves more accessible to the fans out there.  Jordan's unwillingness to share may be the tipping point for other professionals getting tight lipped on what they are working on to become better golfers.  My question here was more about how does this group feel about actually opening up on what they are working on to develop their junior golfers.  Is there an innate fear of sharing that might help another kid get better than your kid?  I would 100% be willing to bet there are lurkers in this forum that take and never give back.

Edited by leezer99, 02 November 2018 - 09:39 AM.

#5 cxx

cxx

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:54 AM

View Postleezer99, on 02 November 2018 - 09:38 AM, said:

I am by no means a fan of Shackelford but he is a pretty well respected golf journalist.  Without speaking for him, I would say that a lot of other players are happy to open up on what they are working on to make themselves more accessible to the fans out there.  Jordan's unwillingness to share may be the tipping point for other professionals getting tight lipped on what they are working on to become better golfers.  My question here was more about how does this group feel about actually opening up on what they are working on to develop their junior golfers.  Is there an innate fear of sharing that might help another kid get better than your kid?  I would 100% be willing to bet there are lurkers in this forum that take and never give back.

I just don't think that golf journalists contribute much to the sport in this age of clickbait.

#6 leezer99

leezer99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:10 AM

View Postcxx, on 02 November 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

I just don't think that golf journalists contribute much to the sport in this age of clickbait.

So the people that have access to the athletes you want to know about are worthless?  They might ask what you would consider dumb questions once in a while but to others they might be interesting.

#7 BertGA

BertGA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500442
GolfWRX Likes : 234

Posted 02 November 2018 - 01:01 PM

I can understand the reluctance of Jordan to show the inner workings of his game improvement. All it takes is a run of missed cuts, or poor finishes, before they use that same information to “explain” why the same pro is struggling.

I love analytical commentary from reporters as much as the next guy, but I’ve also heard on several occasions from pros how such reports are narrow-minded and inaccurate, across sports. Athletes give us the info they want to give. There are so many parts moving behind the scenes that most reporters just can’t access. Occasionally some remarkable insights emerge, but on average, analysis of failure probably misses the mark.

#8 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 368

Posted 02 November 2018 - 01:02 PM

Something I learned about all great PGA players is they simply don't talk about certain things that help their game.  In fact some their tips can actually be misleading as well.  The difference between a ok player and great player on tour is not much. So I can understand why someone would not say anything.

At the end of the day I highly doubt there is a secret out there that no one hasn't seen already. There is so much advice on this internet if anything most people get confused. It is knowing how to apply advice is the true competitive advantage great players have and why they're reluctant to talk.

I also think most of the advice on this forum for juniors isn't the type of advice I would consider something that would give a competitive advantage that one who does tournaments would already not know.  If anything it helps keep kids playing which is good for everyone.

Edited by tiger1873, 02 November 2018 - 01:04 PM.

#9 cxx

cxx

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2018 - 02:41 PM

View Postleezer99, on 02 November 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

View Postcxx, on 02 November 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

So the people that have access to the athletes you want to know about are worthless?  

Yeah, pretty much.

#10 Shades234

Shades234

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446016
  • Handicap:0.3
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:05 AM

I think nerding out is a stupid phrase. I also think Spieth was having some fun with the journalist and that dude needs to lighten up.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors