Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Used Golf Balls?

30 replies to this topic

#1 TruvisChromeSoft

TruvisChromeSoft

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 514858
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 31 October 2018 - 03:47 PM

Hey guys, Iíve been a seller for about 3 years and I just wanted to get a feel of how you think about buying them used. For those who buy them, do you see any discrepancies in performance relative to brand new balls? You can score them at 1/4 of the price of brand new balls with pretty much the exact same condition. Looking forward to hearing your input.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 cristphoto

cristphoto

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
GolfWRX Likes : 701

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:44 AM

Are you saying you sell grade A tour level balls for $10 to $12 a dozen? Iíve never seen prices like that. Usually Lost Golf Balls sell grade A for slightly above half price. Plus you always have that variable of worrying about ball performance (pond balls typically suffer a bit).

#3 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
GolfWRX Likes : 945

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:03 AM

Some of the guys like the Premium golf balls but don't like to pay for the new in the box price, so these guys would love to have your info if you could get the like new conditioned Pro Vs under $14 / doz.  They are paying much more than 1/4 of the MSRP for used golf balls .
Personally, I'm okay with playing a used golf balls.  The question is, there is no standard with grading the used golf balls except for the cosmetic level.
By that, I meant, how many days the golf ball had been sitting out in the environment ( temperature change, the Sun, and the Water ).  Some of the used golf balls feels much harder with the cover comparing to the brand new ones.

If I found a nice premium golf ball on the golf course, I'd use it.  To pay 1/4 of the NIB price for the used golf balls ?  If they could grade the golf ball besides the cosmetic , I'd be interested.
A box of new golf balls stored properly for years will be like brand new.  But a brand new golf ball sitting in the sun or submerged in water for days would probably be not desirable.
I can tell when I tee off with two used premium golf ball, the one I bought brand new from Pro shop and used for a few rounds will feel differently than a refurbished one looking brand new.  Sometimes I can't tell the difference.  But I gave the ones feeling different to the guys whom would not know the difference anyway but they're happy  to play a premium golf ball.

#4 pjerzy

pjerzy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 509364
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:20 AM

I don't mind purchasing used golf balls and tend to use the 50% of the time when I am not testing out a new golf ball that will probably not help me suck any less than I already do. Next year I plan on using the mid level balls or premium used ones.

I have purchased 2 dozen from Lostgolfballs.com and the quality was hit and miss. I bought the best grade they had and I felt as if half of the ones sent should have been a grade or two lower. So the grading scale is difficult to nail down between consumer and seller. Also, as mentioned a ball in the water for a week or more may very well play different than one left under a leaf for a day. I would like to see tests done on this to prove or disprove the general consensus.

Test multiple balls of the same model. One new, one left in the water for a month, one in water for a week, one outside in the sun with summer temps, one with fall/spring temps. Seeing numbers would be very beneficial in deciding and could very well boost sales if tests were done consistently as well as grading of the used ones.

#5 TruvisChromeSoft

TruvisChromeSoft

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:34 AM

View Postcristphoto, on 01 November 2018 - 05:44 AM, said:

Are you saying you sell grade A tour level balls for $10 to $12 a dozen? Iíve never seen prices like that. Usually Lost Golf Balls sell grade A for slightly above half price. Plus you always have that variable of worrying about ball performance (pond balls typically suffer a bit).
Oh yes, A box of Pro Vís costs about $48. Through eBay/amazon I sell them for about $1 each give or take a few cents in Mint condition. Mint condition balls should definitely have no discrepancy in ball performance. You mustíve had a bad batch

Edited by TruvisChromeSoft, 01 November 2018 - 08:38 AM.

#6 TruvisChromeSoft

TruvisChromeSoft

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:42 AM

View Postwkuo3, on 01 November 2018 - 08:03 AM, said:

Some of the guys like the Premium golf balls but don't like to pay for the new in the box price, so these guys would love to have your info if you could get the like new conditioned Pro Vs under $14 / doz.  They are paying much more than 1/4 of the MSRP for used golf balls .
Personally, I'm okay with playing a used golf balls.  The question is, there is no standard with grading the used golf balls except for the cosmetic level.
By that, I meant, how many days the golf ball had been sitting out in the environment ( temperature change, the Sun, and the Water ).  Some of the used golf balls feels much harder with the cover comparing to the brand new ones.

If I found a nice premium golf ball on the golf course, I'd use it.  To pay 1/4 of the NIB price for the used golf balls ?  If they could grade the golf ball besides the cosmetic , I'd be interested.
A box of new golf balls stored properly for years will be like brand new.  But a brand new golf ball sitting in the sun or submerged in water for days would probably be not desirable.
I can tell when I tee off with two used premium golf ball, the one I bought brand new from Pro shop and used for a few rounds will feel differently than a refurbished one looking brand new.  Sometimes I can't tell the difference.  But I gave the ones feeling different to the guys whom would not know the difference anyway but they're happy  to play a premium golf ball.
All my balls are from woods in mint condition, never from water. They are fresh and I sell for a $1 each give or take a few cents, especially with new balls being released next year. Thank you for your feedback.

#7 TruvisChromeSoft

TruvisChromeSoft

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:44 AM

View Postpjerzy, on 01 November 2018 - 08:20 AM, said:

I don't mind purchasing used golf balls and tend to use the 50% of the time when I am not testing out a new golf ball that will probably not help me suck any less than I already do. Next year I plan on using the mid level balls or premium used ones.

I have purchased 2 dozen from Lostgolfballs.com and the quality was hit and miss. I bought the best grade they had and I felt as if half of the ones sent should have been a grade or two lower. So the grading scale is difficult to nail down between consumer and seller. Also, as mentioned a ball in the water for a week or more may very well play different than one left under a leaf for a day. I would like to see tests done on this to prove or disprove the general consensus.

Test multiple balls of the same model. One new, one left in the water for a month, one in water for a week, one outside in the sun with summer temps, one with fall/spring temps. Seeing numbers would be very beneficial in deciding and could very well boost sales if tests were done consistently as well as grading of the used ones.
Thank you for your feedback that sounds like a great idea. Also, with the company youíve mentioned I have had many clients tell me they are not that great.

#8 pjerzy

pjerzy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 509364
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:02 PM

View PostTruvisChromeSoft, on 01 November 2018 - 08:44 AM, said:

Thank you for your feedback that sounds like a great idea. Also, with the company you've mentioned I have had many clients tell me they are not that great.

How often do you restock and have 4A-5A listings of chrome soft on eBay?

#9 cristphoto

cristphoto

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981

Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:26 PM

Great pricing considering these are not water balls. I've seen several tests of water balls and every one shows a loss of performance vs "normal" balls.

#10 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
GolfWRX Likes : 945

Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:32 PM

View PostTruvisChromeSoft, on 01 November 2018 - 08:42 AM, said:

All my balls are from woods in mint condition, never from water. They are fresh and I sell for a $1 each give or take a few cents, especially with new balls being released next year. Thank you for your feedback.

Nice used golf balls if not exposed to high temperature and water logged for prolonged period of time.
I'll direct my guys to look you up.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 TruvisChromeSoft

TruvisChromeSoft

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2018 - 02:33 PM

View Postpjerzy, on 01 November 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

View PostTruvisChromeSoft, on 01 November 2018 - 08:44 AM, said:

Thank you for your feedback that sounds like a great idea. Also, with the company you've mentioned I have had many clients tell me they are not that great.

How often do you restock and have 4A-5A listings of chrome soft on eBay?

About 2-3 times a week.

#12 TruvisChromeSoft

TruvisChromeSoft

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2018 - 02:35 PM

View Postwkuo3, on 01 November 2018 - 01:32 PM, said:

View PostTruvisChromeSoft, on 01 November 2018 - 08:42 AM, said:

Nice used golf balls if not exposed to high temperature and water logged for prolonged period of time.
I'll direct my guys to look you up.

Excellent! I guarantee theyíll be satisfied with my product. My handle is on my profile.

View Postcristphoto, on 01 November 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

Great pricing considering these are not water balls. I've seen several tests of water balls and every one shows a loss of performance vs "normal" balls.

I agree water balls do impact the performance of the ball. I label them as 3A quality as opposed to mint.

#13 landolakes

landolakes

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357789
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 01 November 2018 - 02:46 PM

I don't think used golf balls have any impact -- other than a huge cost savings -- on 90% of golfers. I am shocked at the number of balls some golfers go through in a round.

#14 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
GolfWRX Likes : 2412

Posted 01 November 2018 - 02:51 PM

Buy all my balls used and I've gotten maybe... 6 dozen new ones over the past few years as gifts. I don't notice any kind of difference in flight, feel or distance.

Every now and again, I'll get a ball that's not of the same kind (order a few dozen ProV1 and a random NXT sneaks in) but that's about the only issue I've had come up.

I do sometimes worry that with the very popular balls like ProV1, that a good portion are lake balls and could suffer a bit. Luckily I play Taylormade balls for the most part and they usually seem to be left overs from corporate events or something. Usually buy 4A condition and they look unused most of the time.
WITB
LTD Pro Kiyoshi HB 65X (other shafts on demo)
LTD Kai'li 70X
818H2 Tour Blue 85X (P790 3i and Forged UT on demo)
Miura CB/MB Combo Modus 120X
Stealth 2.0 50/10SS
Stealth 2.0 54/12SS
Stealth 2.0 58/10SS
TP Black Copper Juno
TP5X
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag
Puma Ignite Pwradapt

#15 Downtime

Downtime

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 501082
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 01 November 2018 - 04:20 PM

i dont mind playing used golf balls. I usually send them back where they came from anyway. lol

#16 TruvisChromeSoft

TruvisChromeSoft

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:34 PM

View Postlandolakes, on 01 November 2018 - 02:46 PM, said:

I don't think used golf balls have any impact -- other than a huge cost savings -- on 90% of golfers. I am shocked at the number of balls some golfers go through in a round.

Yes itís incredulous how many balls pile up especially in club tournaments and corporate events. Thanks for the input.

#17 TruvisChromeSoft

TruvisChromeSoft

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:37 PM

View PostZ1ggy16, on 01 November 2018 - 02:51 PM, said:

Buy all my balls used and I've gotten maybe... 6 dozen new ones over the past few years as gifts. I don't notice any kind of difference in flight, feel or distance.

Every now and again, I'll get a ball that's not of the same kind (order a few dozen ProV1 and a random NXT sneaks in) but that's about the only issue I've had come up.

I do sometimes worry that with the very popular balls like ProV1, that a good portion are lake balls and could suffer a bit. Luckily I play Taylormade balls for the most part and they usually seem to be left overs from corporate events or something. Usually buy 4A condition and they look unused most of the time.

Thatís great to hear. Huge money saver indeed! I appreciate your post.

View PostDowntime, on 01 November 2018 - 04:20 PM, said:

i dont mind playing used golf balls. I usually send them back where they came from anyway. lol

Ditto on that

#18 macedan

macedan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 503368
  • Handicap:18
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:40 AM

I am at the point where old surlyn balls in a generic recycled pack hurt my game, but I still lose enough to not justify buying outright new. I stick with LostGolfBalls. 4 dozen AAAA Project A or RBZ Urethane or QStar for about $35 shipped works exceedingly well on a college budget.
Ping G400 10*
Taylormade R7 Steel 15*
Taylormade Aeroburner 18*
Taylormade Rescue 11 21*
Taylormade Rocketbladez (5-PW)
Cleveland CBX 50/11
Titleist Vokey SM5 54/10
Cleveland RTX-3 58/9
Taylormade Spider Tour Black
Taylormade RBZ Urethane | Project A
Bag: Taylormade Flextech Lite Black/Green

#19 dubbelbogey

dubbelbogey

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2795
GolfWRX Likes : 210

Posted 02 November 2018 - 02:36 PM

I've played used balls almost exclusively for many years. The quality is generally very good, sometimes surprisingly excellent. This lets me play (and lose) top-end balls at a price that is less than the cheapest of new surlyn balls. From the reputable vendors I've used (including the biggest, I believe), I've never had a ball that I thought played poorly or exhibited incorrect performance. Not once. I may have had a few that were cosmetically iffy for their rating, but generally that hasn't been the case. Heck, most AAA (2nd or 3rd tier quality) balls I've purchased used are better than a new ball that I play for one round.

I did have one very bad experience this year with a company that sold flat-out crap balls under their "AAAA" / near mint rating. You could literally see where the dirt and mold had permanently stained these balls and they looked worse than balls I had in my shag bag for over 5 years of practice time. To top it all off, they were seriously obnoxious when called on the phone, and they actually hung up on me. For what it's worth, they're based in Canada. Total scam artists.

#20 msg

msg

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311243
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 02 November 2018 - 02:55 PM

I've been using used golf balls for the longest time. To be honest I cannot see or feel any difference. Late this year I bought 8 dozen of new Wilson Duo because they were half the price. I still cannot see or feel any difference for the used golf balls that I have been using for the last 6 years.

When I run out of the Duo's, if I cannot get new golf balls on sale, I will go back to buying used.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 TruvisChromeSoft

TruvisChromeSoft

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:57 PM

View Postmacedan, on 02 November 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

I am at the point where old surlyn balls in a generic recycled pack hurt my game, but I still lose enough to not justify buying outright new. I stick with LostGolfBalls. 4 dozen AAAA Project A or RBZ Urethane or QStar for about $35 shipped works exceedingly well on a college budget.

I wish you stumbled upon my store awhile ago, Iíve sold about 50 QStar and project a for about .50 cents a ball before. I list a ton of auctions and you can score a batch for a nice hair cut. Thanks for the input

#22 TruvisChromeSoft

TruvisChromeSoft

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:59 PM

View Postnemoblack, on 02 November 2018 - 02:36 PM, said:

I've played used balls almost exclusively for many years. The quality is generally very good, sometimes surprisingly excellent. This lets me play (and lose) top-end balls at a price that is less than the cheapest of new surlyn balls. From the reputable vendors I've used (including the biggest, I believe), I've never had a ball that I thought played poorly or exhibited incorrect performance. Not once. I may have had a few that were cosmetically iffy for their rating, but generally that hasn't been the case. Heck, most AAA (2nd or 3rd tier quality) balls I've purchased used are better than a new ball that I play for one round.

I did have one very bad experience this year with a company that sold flat-out crap balls under their "AAAA" / near mint rating. You could literally see where the dirt and mold had permanently stained these balls and they looked worse than balls I had in my shag bag for over 5 years of practice time. To top it all off, they were seriously obnoxious when called on the phone, and they actually hung up on me. For what it's worth, they're based in Canada. Total scam artists.

Iím sorry to hear about your bad experience. Some companies just donít care about their reputation. I agree thatís the best part when you donít have to worry about losing a ball.

#23 theboypinoy

theboypinoy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128768
GolfWRX Likes : 505

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:47 PM

Haven't had problems with them before in the past. I've only used AAAA and up however

#24 boddah4

boddah4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 514094
  • Ebay ID:boddah4
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:50 AM

View PostTruvisChromeSoft, on 31 October 2018 - 03:47 PM, said:

Hey guys, I’ve been a seller for about 3 years and I just wanted to get a feel of how you think about buying them used. For those who buy them, do you see any discrepancies in performance relative to brand new balls? You can score them at 1/4 of the price of brand new balls with pretty much the exact same condition. Looking forward to hearing your input.
Do you have a website? Can you post a link to your eBay store?

#25 games

games

Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they are yours.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 248161
GolfWRX Likes : 772

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:09 AM

Hey guys, I've been a seller for about 3 years and I just wanted to get a feel of how you think about buying them used. For those who buy them, do you see any discrepancies in performance relative to brand new balls? You can score them at 1/4 of the price of brand new balls with pretty much the exact same condition. Looking forward to hearing your input.

I've bought used golf balls in the past, without knowing if they were sourced from woods, water or both.  Never had an issue.  In one case, I received three dozen Project (a) that were new, just logoed...

Over the past couple of years, I stocked up on the now discontinued Gamer Tour (Dick's) and Nike RZN Platinum practice (Dunham's) at $7-$8 per dozen for new.   As long as there are deals such as these for new urethane performance balls, I probably would not buy used.  But, if I were brand loyal, and wanted consistency of a specific ball, I could definitely see buying used, again...

They who are enamoured of practice
without knowledge are like the mariner
going to sea without a rudder or compass
and who navigates without a course.

#26 TruvisChromeSoft

TruvisChromeSoft

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2018 - 06:04 PM

View Postboddah4, on 04 November 2018 - 10:50 AM, said:

Hey guys, Iíve been a seller for about 3 years and I just wanted to get a feel of how you think about buying them used. For those who buy them, do you see any discrepancies in performance relative to brand new balls? You can score them at 1/4 of the price of brand new balls with pretty much the exact same condition. Looking forward to hearing your input.
Do you have a website? Can you post a link to your eBay store?
I donít think I can solicit on this site but itís usedgolfballs-us or just check my profile for the hyperlink.

#27 TruvisChromeSoft

TruvisChromeSoft

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2018 - 06:14 PM

View Postgames, on 04 November 2018 - 11:09 AM, said:

Hey guys, I've been a seller for about 3 years and I just wanted to get a feel of how you think about buying them used. For those who buy them, do you see any discrepancies in performance relative to brand new balls? You can score them at 1/4 of the price of brand new balls with pretty much the exact same condition. Looking forward to hearing your input.

I've bought used golf balls in the past, without knowing if they were sourced from woods, water or both.  Never had an issue.  In one case, I received three dozen Project (a) that were new, just logoed...

Over the past couple of years, I stocked up on the now discontinued Gamer Tour (Dick's) and Nike RZN Platinum practice (Dunham's) at $7-$8 per dozen for new.   As long as there are deals such as these for new urethane performance balls, I probably would not buy used.  But, if I were brand loyal, and wanted consistency of a specific ball, I could definitely see buying used, again...
Do you prefer playing non logo balls? Some logos are rare and worth a lot of money.

#28 Break81

Break81

Broke80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:20 PM

When premium new balls can be had for $20 a dozen or less (ammo boxes , previous models, promo packs etc) there is little reason to buy balls for $12-$15 used when you cannot verify where they came from.

Guy at one of my local courses sells used, they look great and they are cheap... but I think most are water balls so I quit buying. Just seems to have a few that don't perform the same.

Cut, Snell, Vice , K3, Srixon promo packs, MG all have great offerings for less.  

If you have to have ProV's, TP5X or Chrome Softs, them maybe used is a good deal.  However, If your a ball hoe like me there are plenty that can be had new.
Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW -  Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

#29 TruvisChromeSoft

TruvisChromeSoft

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:32 AM

View PostBreak81, on 04 November 2018 - 11:20 PM, said:

When premium new balls can be had for $20 a dozen or less (ammo boxes , previous models, promo packs etc) there is little reason to buy balls for $12-$15 used when you cannot verify where they came from.

Guy at one of my local courses sells used, they look great and they are cheap... but I think most are water balls so I quit buying. Just seems to have a few that don't perform the same.

Cut, Snell, Vice , K3, Srixon promo packs, MG all have great offerings for less.  

If you have to have ProV's, TP5X or Chrome Softs, them maybe used is a good deal.  However, If your a ball hoe like me there are plenty that can be had new.
Iím with you on that, water balls just play different. Thatís why I just donít sell them. Thank you

#30 kmay__

kmay__

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 493118
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:11 PM

Just tried to buy those 24 colored superhots you've got listed, but no matter my bid, it says its already outbid by someone elses preset "high bid" right up until about 36 cad dollars, plus the 14 shipping, and around 10 import duties, just wasn't worth it for me anymore at that point. If I lived over the river it might be a different story. Ill check back to your listings in the future though.

TM 17' M2 9.5*
Cobra Bio-Cell 16.5*
PING G30 4 22*
TM R11 5 - PW
Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
Callaway PM Grind 60* (the greasy Phil)
SC studio select Newport 2 mid-slant

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors