Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

split grip drill

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ballin1

ballin1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28384
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:08 PM

Hey guys.  I'm a decent golfer who's has those "magic" days once in a while where my swing feels effortless and powerful.  But most of the time, its a struggle.  I think I have a pretty good grasp of the mechanics...now its just trying to fit it all together in one dynamic motion.

Anyways, I read about this "split grip" drill where you swing a mid-iron but with a split grip (about 3 inches of space between your left and right hand).  Just drilling, it felt great.  My right arm felt really powerful coming into the ball.  Then, when I went back to my normal grip and tried to duplicate the feeling, I felt like I was almost casting the thing...but the results were incredible.  My right felt really powerful.  Even with chips, it felt almost like a hockey swing (never played, but I imagine it would feel like it), with my right just completely feeling like its pushing the club through.  This goes contrary to what I have heard previously...that the left side should lead and be strong.

So I was wondering...can anyone tell me WHY this drill works and what concept its drilling into the body?  I was told that swing with a split grip teaches the proper body and arm blend in your swing...but I don't know why or how.

Thanks!

Edited by ballin1, 06 June 2008 - 05:10 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 larrybud

larrybud

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 795

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:24 PM

What it does is help you keep your arms and body in sync.

#3 ballin1

ballin1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:28 AM

Bump...

Hmm..sounds too easy.  Should I watch out for overdoing anything while I do this drill?

Any other thoughts?

#4 TEConnor

TEConnor

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35027
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:24 PM

Because you consciously feel the exaggerated movement of the right hand independent of the left, this drill tends to help when you have an overactive and handsy release.  It is exercising the same idea of "holding the set" that you see emphasized in the slicefixer version of the 9 to 3.  What you are practicing in either drill is a release through the ball that relies on an accelerating/aggressive turn of the core/trunk/body to bring the left hand around in a good impact position (and through the ball) and essentially eliminate the right hand "hinge" that was hitherto overactive.  

This drill is great, but you want to step back from it and learn to make the exact same aggressive "body" turns and pivots to hit the ball with your normal grip.  The drill teaches you how to maintain your lag into the impact area, which is key, but MOST people do not really understand how to "release" that lag into a good impact position.  In the end, you want to train your hands to work together, without tension, and allow the momentum and power of your swing to naturally release the club.  But this release should be around your body and not "down-the-line" with a flip of the wrists/hands...which is pretty much the commonality of folks that are greatly helped by the split grip drill.

IF this drill is really helping your game, I pretty much guarantee that Slicefixer's 9 to 3 drill and swing theories will do the same.  One of my great "AHA!" moments (about 2 years ago) was reading about the split-hand drill to cure the snappers (I think it was Manzella where I first saw it) that set off a winding road of major swing changes that led me to slicefixer's theories.

By the way, try out the "shut-face" drill as well and see how it works for you.  Take a mid iron, hood the face 30 - 45 degrees THEN grip the club.  Try to hit the ball as straight as possible with an aggressive body/pivot turn through the ball.  That was another of those "VOILA!" drills for me.

Cheers,
Tim

#5 ballin1

ballin1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:13 PM

^^^wow..thanks alot!

I swear this community is freakin awesome!  I learn more here than reading any of the golf magazines.

#6 vaca22

vaca22

Commander In Beef

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46965
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:37 PM

View PostTEConnor, on Jun 9 2008, 01:24 PM, said:

By the way, try out the "shut-face" drill as well and see how it works for you. Take a mid iron, hood the face 30 - 45 degrees THEN grip the club. Try to hit the ball as straight as possible with an aggressive body/pivot turn through the ball. That was another of those "VOILA!" drills for me.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim, I've been having trouble making good contact with the ball lately.  If I do make good contact, I feel as if it's only because I was lucky enough on that particular swing.  I've been hitting everything on the heel of the club, not matter how much I try, and I've been hitting a lot of HUGE slices.  

I tried learning the 9 to 3 drill but I'm not sure how it works really...I tried watching that video but there isn't any sound.  Any pointers?

Also, is it even possible to hit the ball straight if you close the face as much as you suggested using the "shut face" drill?

Is there an "open face" drill counterpart that might help in getting the ball to go straight if I'm slicing?

#7 FlashFunk

FlashFunk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16877

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:27 AM

So I tried this split grip drill for the first time at the range yesterday and was hitting the ball straighter and longer than I ever do with my normal swing.  I'm still a beginner and learning the game (over 20 hdcp) and always felt like I started my downswing with my hands and not my core muscles, but I think this proves that.

TEConnor, I'll try and keep some of those swing thoughts in mind when I'm out practicing, they were really helpful.  

Similar to the poster above me, I'm a slicer and was wondering if the shut-face drill was more for people with hooking problems.  Like he said would a open-face drill be better for slicers?

#8 jcjr34

jcjr34

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15588

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:44 AM

Flashfunk, the shut-face drill does work for slicers too. From what I've read on this forum (and there is ALOT of it), the shut face drill gives the slicer the feeling of holding lag thus ultimately preventing the OTT move. You must remember that this is just a drill, not to be used for anything over a 1/2 swing (search the 9-3 drill). According to Slicefixer, once you use a full swing with a normal grip and face alignment, your hands would automatically release and you'd hit the ball straight.

#9 golftech

golftech

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43589

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:39 AM

The split-hand grip drill works very simply….it engages in an exaggerated manner (and allows you to feel) the centrifugal force (pushing outward) coming through your right hand/arm and also the centripetal force (pulling inward) coming from your left hand/arm.  The centripetal force is directed inward by the rotation of the spine and torso while an equal amount of centrifugal force is directed outward.

#10 thruzek

thruzek

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26046

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:50 AM

Would this drill also help me shorten my swing??

T

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 golftech

golftech

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43589

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:05 PM

Depends on why it is long.  It can shorten the arm swing, due to keeping the right arm from overbending (more than a right angle), but not necessarily over-rotation of hips or shoulders.

#12 justinp766

justinp766

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106668
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

I use the Split grip as my regular grip........I look like happy gilmore but I play to scratch handicap......I use the grip for every club and every kind of shot.... even putting....I actually don't know if ill ever go back to a regular grip.

Its really funny watching peoples facial expression right before I address the ball and after I make impact.

They don't know what to say....except ...nice shot..??

Edited by justinp766, 13 April 2012 - 05:25 PM.

#13 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,840 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113539
GolfWRX Likes : 393

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

View Postjustinp766, on 13 April 2012 - 05:24 PM, said:

I use the Split grip as my regular grip........I look like happy gilmore but I play to scratch handicap......I use the grip for every club and every kind of shot.... even putting....I actually don't know if ill ever go back to a regular grip.

Its really funny watching peoples facial expression right before I address the ball and after I make impact.

How far apart are your hands and what type of shots do you have trouble with

#14 justinp766

justinp766

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106668
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

View Postrussc, on 13 April 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

How far apart are your hands and what type of shots do you have trouble with

you could probably fit 4 fingers between my top left hand and bottom right hand.

it feels completely natural to me... I dont even have to think about swing mechanics when addressing the ball and the only shots I have trouble with are getting up and down from the bunker mainly because I really don't get in the bunker too much and I just flat out don't practice bunker shots.

Too me it feels like my baseball swing and my slap shot swing....thats probally why I love it so much.
The ball fly's true and straight when both my hands are cocked and hinged correctly.

Ive only lost about 20 yards with my driver ...but if you hit bombs in them middle of the fairway then you really could care less about losing 20 yards.

Edited by justinp766, 14 April 2012 - 10:27 AM.

#15 596

Get in, buckle up and hold on !

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122006
GolfWRX Likes : 460

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

No sh*t?  I gotta try this grip and/or drill and see what happens.

#16 Arnsybill

Arnsybill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66614
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

Very interesting.st

It's early in the Canadian golf season... I'm playing awful and packed it in after 9 holes and went to the range... hit a bunch of shots with the split grip... pitches too... began to really feel my core working left... releasing it with the body like Geoff suggests...  way less curves and better contact. I even hit a bunch of drivers too...

i applaud you playing this way...

i might as well...

Cheers,

#17 Cwebb

Cwebb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21353
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

If you find that the split hands drill works very well for you, then a transition into a 10 finger grip with the hands next to one another, works very well for a lot players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors