Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

Tiger vs. Phil in "The Match." **MERGED**

1878 replies to this topic

#1861 BlackDiamondPar5

BlackDiamondPar5

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71580
GolfWRX Likes : 3479

Posted 28 December 2018 - 08:00 AM

If it's ppv again it's just someone with a giant ego and deep pockets doubling down on a bad idea.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#1862 PedronNiall

PedronNiall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135461
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:45 PM

Honestly, I think the atmosphere is everything. I watched it in a pretty packed clubhouse dining area before heading out to the course. The energy in the air was what made it. The TVs weren't loud, so you could hear the buzz going on in the room. This is definitely something best carried off for audiences watching as a group, same as the old days of Tiger and Sergio under the lights. There was no banter there, it was just the two of them going at it, good commentators, and everyone in the room enjoying the show.

I'm honestly surprised how many people here are against it, but I guess mileage varies for everyone. I really enjoyed it, though a baby wedge was not the kind of exciting tee shot to finish on. I will say that it's clear that the rivalry between Phil and Tiger just isn't the same as Tiger and Sergio back in the day. Garcia had so much to prove at that time, that he was on Tiger's level, and you could see how much he wanted it. The pre show on HBO for this match was great, that I'll give them, and again, the atmosphere during the actual broadcast is what made the match worth watching.

I agree that a new format would be more interesting. I'd even love seeing four pairs of a PGA/LPGA set dueling it out. Lexi with Finau in the pairs event a month or so ago was great, especially Thompson out driving Hoffman on the final hole. I'm a golf nut, and having something exciting to watch with friends or at the course with everyone after a round is never something I'm upset about in the least.

Feed me moar!

#1863 lowheel

lowheel

LOWHEEL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193008
GolfWRX Likes : 5639

Posted 01 January 2019 - 10:19 PM

View PostBlackDiamondPar5, on 28 December 2018 - 08:00 AM, said:

If it's ppv again it's just someone with a giant ego and deep pockets doubling down on a bad idea.

wasnt there 1 million buys at 19.99$? sounds like the opposite of a bad idea. there is a market for it obviously and now they have a year to work out the kinks and maybe bring in 2 more big names. its not going away. its a modern skins game nothing more but it works. Might as well embrace it. Happy new year to you and yours!!

#1864 BlackDiamondPar5

BlackDiamondPar5

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71580
GolfWRX Likes : 3479

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:52 AM

View Postlowheel, on 01 January 2019 - 10:19 PM, said:

wasnt there 1 million buys at 19.99$? sounds like the opposite of a bad idea. there is a market for it obviously and now they have a year to work out the kinks and maybe bring in 2 more big names. its not going away. its a modern skins game nothing more but it works. Might as well embrace it. Happy new year to you and yours!!
Here's some counterpoints... I'm suspicious of their claimed subscription numbers, I only know a few people whom watched it and they did so in groups. WRX interest was tepid at best and viewership only increased when people realized it was free. Post event reviews of the "extravaganza" were mediocre.  Hardly a formula for future success.

Now with that said, it may get more interesting with the new format. Also if they can redefine how golf is broadcast and the benefit of no commercials then maybe it's a success, because outside the majors, I find regular broadcast golf unacceptable without being DVR'd and FF through the grossly excessive crap.

Happy New Year!

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5, 03 January 2019 - 09:28 AM.

#1865 dropkicked

dropkicked

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 515544
  • Handicap:High
GolfWRX Likes : 109

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:43 AM

View PostBlackDiamondPar5, on 03 January 2019 - 08:52 AM, said:

Here's some counterpoints... I'm suspicious of their claimed subscription numbers, I only know a few people whom watched it and they did so in groups. WRX interest was tepid at best and viewership only increased when people realized it was free. Post event reviews of the "extravaganza" were mediocre.  Hardly a formula for future success.

Now with that said, it may get more interesting with the new format. Also if they can redefine how golf is broadcast and the benefit of no commercials then maybe it's a success, because outside the majors, I find regular broadcast golf unacceptable without being DVR'd and FF through the grossly excessive crap.

Happy New Year!
I also watched with a large group at my home. Had delicious catering and all! But I don't believe your comparison works in the real world.. I'll give you some examples.
I had friends and family in my entire home. 2 digital cable boxes = 2 buys. In 1 home.
Think about the hotels/motels in vegas alone.. potential buys from all establishments and individuals would have been massive. ($20 in vegas?)
Now include the rest of the purchases in the US, and include all buys from the rest of the world

That number is easily plausible.

#1866 HoosierMizuno

HoosierMizuno

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,853 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87620
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 886

Posted 03 January 2019 - 12:06 PM

View Postdropkicked, on 03 January 2019 - 10:43 AM, said:

Happy New Year!
I also watched with a large group at my home. Had delicious catering and all! But I don't believe your comparison works in the real world.. I'll give you some examples.
I had friends and family in my entire home. 2 digital cable boxes = 2 buys. In 1 home.
Think about the hotels/motels in vegas alone.. potential buys from all establishments and individuals would have been massive. ($20 in vegas?)
Now include the rest of the purchases in the US, and include all buys from the rest of the world

just curious but why is it considered 2 buys just because you have two cable boxes? if you order from your residence, wouldn't you get it on any tv?
Ping G400 Max 10.5 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Titleist 818H1 Atmos 80s Blue
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P

Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36"

#1867 cdnglf

cdnglf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139540
GolfWRX Likes : 2017

Posted 03 January 2019 - 12:31 PM

Happy New Year!

I'm skeptical. First, the source of the 1 million "woulda/should/coulda buys" didn't seem that solid. Don't think Turner ever officially said anything of the sort, and instead resorted to a bunch of other stats like "minutes viewed". Second, 1 million is a pretty big number in the PPV world. From what I've read, Wrestlemania and many big UFC events are in the 1-1.5 million range.

This article says "750,000 unique video views", which is a far cry from 1 million buys.

https://golfweek.com...rts-10-million/

Edited by cdnglf, 03 January 2019 - 12:35 PM.

#1868 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,266 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 20013

Posted 03 January 2019 - 12:50 PM

Happy New Year!

6 foot Italian Combo?!

Posted Image

#1869 dropkicked

dropkicked

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:36 PM

View PostHoosierMizuno, on 03 January 2019 - 12:06 PM, said:

just curious but why is it considered 2 buys just because you have two cable boxes? if you order from your residence, wouldn't you get it on any tv?
Yes, because I have 2 HD boxes, I have to purchase from each box.

#1870 dropkicked

dropkicked

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:39 PM

View Postbscinstnct, on 03 January 2019 - 12:50 PM, said:

Happy New Year!

6 foot Italian Combo?!

Posted Image
No Jamaican catering, lol :).. Jerk Chicken & Fish, Rice and Peas, Patties, ackee & saltfish and some chinese/jamaican -fusion variations..

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#1871 HoosierMizuno

HoosierMizuno

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,853 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87620
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 886

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:46 PM

View Postdropkicked, on 03 January 2019 - 01:36 PM, said:

off subject..but who's your cable company. i've had multiple boxes and have only ever had to buy something on one and its accessible on every tv.
Ping G400 Max 10.5 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Titleist 818H1 Atmos 80s Blue
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P

Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36"

#1872 dropkicked

dropkicked

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:01 PM

View PostHoosierMizuno, on 03 January 2019 - 02:46 PM, said:

off subject..but who's your cable company. i've had multiple boxes and have only ever had to buy something on one and its accessible on every tv.
Who are you with? LoL I have multiple 4kUHDPVR boxes and I had to pay twice for the UFC, fight over the weekend as well.. and all of the other times I've purchased fights and shows.

#1873 lowheel

lowheel

LOWHEEL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193008
GolfWRX Likes : 5639

Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:45 PM

View Postbscinstnct, on 03 January 2019 - 12:50 PM, said:

Happy New Year!

6 foot Italian Combo?!

Posted Image

Happy new year BSC!!!!!

Posted Image

#1874 Steele47

Steele47

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 248371
GolfWRX Likes : 567

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:04 PM

As long as they keep Jacobsen on board it's must see TV.

#1875 Holy Moses

Holy Moses

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,890 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180764
GolfWRX Likes : 4383

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:47 PM

View PostSteele47, on 03 January 2019 - 07:04 PM, said:

Jake is pretty well-liked, but he took more criticism than Norman did during the 2015 US Open on Fox.

Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

#1876 Frankensteins Monster

Frankensteins Monster

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,394 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214901
GolfWRX Likes : 4759

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:54 PM

View Postdropkicked, on 03 January 2019 - 04:01 PM, said:

View PostHoosierMizuno, on 03 January 2019 - 02:46 PM, said:

Who are you with? LoL I have multiple 4kUHDPVR boxes and I had to pay twice for the UFC, fight over the weekend as well.. and all of the other times I've purchased fights and shows.

Never in my life have I had to do that.

#1877 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,266 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 20013

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:12 PM

Happy new year BSC!!!!!

Posted Image

Hey hey, lh. Big cheers ; )

Yeah, combo gotta have a layer of capocollo. Super thin sliced. Man, havent had a real combo in quite some time.

#1878 Steele47

Steele47

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 248371
GolfWRX Likes : 567

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:21 PM

View PostHoly Moses, on 03 January 2019 - 07:47 PM, said:

View PostSteele47, on 03 January 2019 - 07:04 PM, said:

Jake is pretty well-liked, but he took more criticism than Norman did during the 2015 US Open on Fox.

Jacobsen deserved every bit of that criticism.   Dude didn't get the bit of how 'the Match' was supposed to be a 'listen in' to Tiger's and Phil's hilarious one liners.   Surprised someone didn't hit him upside his head with a MacKenzie bag.

#1879 Popeye64

Popeye64

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 365587
  • Handicap:.2
  • Ebay ID:aughedogie
GolfWRX Likes : 404

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:53 PM

How the hell is this thread still going??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors