Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

Tiger vs. Phil in "The Match." **MERGED**

1839 replies to this topic

#1831 TorreyPines

TorreyPines

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 302485
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:58 PM

bladehunter, on 27 November 2018 - 06:34 PM, said:

TorreyPines, on 27 November 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

dciccoritti, on 26 November 2018 - 07:44 PM, said:

Wrong. A 'cheerleader is someone who cheers on their favorite player regardless of what obstacles they're required to overcome. Where you and Helvetica (among others) have it wrong is that 'cheerleaders' are not blind to the obstacles. We actually have a better understanding of Tiger's obstacles than you do simply because we follow him so closely and don't twist realties to suit a  bias. You speak of 'mental strength' and yet the mental strength required by Tiger to overcome all of his physical injuries including the self inflicted injuries that were played out in public is UNFATHOMABLE. There is no one in any sport that could have survived even half of what he went through and had the year he had in 2018. Therefore whenever someone mentions mental strength, we can't help but laugh. The only thing any REAL Tiger fan is concerned about is his health. If he has that, we know he has the mental strength and determination to put the rest into place. And the only fact that truly exists is that he did. With a healthy back he's almost worked his way back. 'Almost' being the key word. He will be even better in 2019. New swing will be grooved and the rust will be completely knocked off. It's really suspect when someone speaks about his 2018 finishes as if he was in top form from the get go...because if he was, then I would entertain the mental aspect.

P.S.
https://youtu.be/J0ueIcYrOmo
https://youtu.be/ISkEKLYRxi0

I was going to concede the 'cheerleader' point to you as I assumed your opening sentence came from a dictionary definition or at least some kind of internet literature... then I copied it into google and found nothing, so I take my concession back.

And no, you don't follow Tiger more closely than I do. How you can say this without knowing me is just plain odd. Whether you agree or disagree with my opinions on Tiger, the post I made detailing all of the times he has taken himself out of tournaments post-2009 clearly shows that if nothing else, I follow him pretty damn closely.

Furthermore, I don't have a bias against Tiger by any stretch of the imagination, but admittedly can be harder on him than most as he's easily my favourite athlete of all-time, so it comes from a place of desperately wanting him to resemble his prior self in some way, shape or form I suppose.

Please stop the "REAL FAN" BS... I've seen Tiger live on a number of occasions, including paying out of my own pocket to see him play overseas, I freaking love the guy. I started up a WordPress TW blog a few months ago that I pay a monthly fee to keep going, which would be a strange thing to do for someone who isn't a fan of the guy (the blog does need a lot of work though to be fair, will be getting on that tomorrow!)

Yes, Tiger has shown a lot of strength to come back from where he was, but this aspect is somewhat overplayed. The main strength he showed was physically being able to shake off over 2 years of almost complete inactivity on the golf course to regaining an excellent level of golf again, rather than mental toughness. His back was cured by an incredible physician and Tiger was able to play golf again - the physical healing through that surgeon is the miracle here. Do you honestly look at his play post-fire hydrant and think that all the weekend meltdowns over 9 years are pure coincidence, and not related to a weaker mentality than the one he used to possess?

I do hope you're right and that Tiger builds on a very good 2018 with an even better 2019. I'm plumping for 3 regular tour wins this year a la 2012, which would be terrific.

Awesome videos by the way, thank you for those :) Have a great time at the gig, I desperately want to see Radiohead live one day. Was just listening to Kid A yesterday for the first time in years; what a fantastic album!

bladehunter, on 27 November 2018 - 09:01 AM, said:

absolutely.... Its just odd that some see a poster like myself as  " a cheerleader" who is blind to any faults etc .   And i see a Poster like TP and CR as closet haters of the guy who pose as "Fans" to give actual fans the needle when any toe is stubbed or fault exposed....   On the surface id say the truth maybe in the middle.. But the one glaring thing i cannot get away from us that during Tigers win at eastlake  These guys were magically silent... Gone..Poof...Pulled a Keyser Sose and vanished...  No posts of how great the day was, no well wishes... We didnt agree on that day either.. How can this be ?   How can ANY Tiger fan not be pleased on that day , and compelled to say so ( as we all participate here) ...  ???  How?   Yet on the other hand many of us are on record here citing things establishing our knowledge of shortcomings...I myself called Phil to win ' the match" 2 weeks ago...  said it twice i know . Ive read basic giving very modest projections and hopes early in 2017....  These examples should also be agreeable terms to the "glas half empty" tiger 'fan"...Yet they never are. Why is this ?   Theres really only 1 logical answer...   Some folks arent clear on what a "fan"is...  To be a fan you have to enjoy the successes...  If they make you angry that your projections are proven wrong.. YOU ARENT a FAN....

Dearie me, the "you aren't a fan, grrrrr!" thing again. I'll refer you to earlier in my post, where I've mentioned spending an awful lot of money to see Tiger both in the UK and internationally. He's my hero - pretending to be a Tiger fan, getting a Tiger avatar etc while actually being a Tiger "hater" would be most peculiar behaviour.

I'll grant you the not posting after the Tour Championship part though - I was on holiday for a couple of weeks the day after so missed the boat there. The scene down 18 with all the commotion behind him was the coolest thing I've ever seen on a golf course, and it was a magical feeling to see him win again. Still got the final round saved on my tele! :)

bscinstnct, on 27 November 2018 - 12:45 PM, said:

Lol, and why do you care?

As a self proclaimed, big TW fan, I'd think you'd be more annoyed at those who said he would never win again and elated at him winning in such a short time after spinal fusion. TW won! Post some gifs! Live a little!

"Why do I care"? This is a board where people express their opinions, where views sometimes will oppose one another, so it's natural to have a healthy debate with people when you see things differently than they do.

But hell yeah, I promise you I am excited haha - here's my favourite Tiger pic from 2018 (except for the raised arms one from the TC). You just knew he was going to play like a boss when he turned up looking like a G :)

Posted Image

Well I stand corrected !   And offer a sincere apology.  I agree with everything you posted.

Not necessarily fair to lump  guys together in the same sinking boat.  Sorry about that.

It's cool buddy, and apologies too if I came across a bit strongly at times - Tiger brings out the fire in people doesn't he? Sign of a great athlete! :)

Have a good evening man!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#1832 dwboston

dwboston

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51575
  • Handicap:5.2
  • Ebay ID:dwboston1
GolfWRX Likes : 627

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:32 PM

Just got an email from Verizon that they are refunding my PPV purchase since it was free on BR Live.  Not bad.
Titleist 917 D2 10.5*, GD AD DI 7S | Titleist 915F 16.5*, GD AD DI 8S | Titleist 915 H 21*, GD AD DI 105S
Bridgestone J15 CB, 4-PW, Recoil Proto 125 F4 | Vokey SM6 52.08F | Vokey SM6 56.10S | Vokey SM7 60.12D
Lajosi DD201, 34"/350g

#1833 Holy Moses

Holy Moses

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,587 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180764
GolfWRX Likes : 4168

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:25 PM

John Maginnes made a good point that part of the reason that The Match was uninteresting is that we expected Phil to hit his drives in the sticks and make these miraculous recoveries, but somehow Phil had his best driving day ever and wasnít able to do a crazy Phil recovery shot. I also didnít realize Tiger made 6 birdies.

When Tiger and Phil walked off the first tee, you could tell their banter wasnít going to be good. It seemed forced and awkward. So the announcers like Jacobsen did what they usually do - talk. But when you donít know when Tiger and Phil are going to start talking and you donít want dead air either, itís hard to talk at the right time.

Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

#1834 new2g0lf

new2g0lf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114437
GolfWRX Likes : 2094

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:57 PM

Holy Moses, on 27 November 2018 - 10:25 PM, said:

John Maginnes made a good point that part of the reason that The Match was uninteresting is that we expected Phil to hit his drives in the sticks and make these miraculous recoveries, but somehow Phil had his best driving day ever and wasn't able to do a crazy Phil recovery shot. I also didn't realize Tiger made 6 birdies.

When Tiger and Phil walked off the first tee, you could tell their banter wasn't going to be good. It seemed forced and awkward. So the announcers like Jacobsen did what they usually do - talk. But when you don't know when Tiger and Phil are going to start talking and you don't want dead air either, it's hard to talk at the right time.

Exactly, they tried to let Tiger and Phil carry the broadcast but it was painfully obvious the two didn't have much to talk about.  Phil repeated himself multiple times about how cool SLJ was, so I knew this was going to be a long day if someone wasn't going to step in to cover up the dead air.  It got even worse as the match progressed, they barely spoke on some holes.
Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
Woods - XXIO 10 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB

#1835 straightshot7

straightshot7

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66294
GolfWRX Likes : 2660

Posted 01 December 2018 - 08:36 PM

They are replaying this on TNT right now and it seems like they've removed the constant commentary from the announcers and it is soooooo much better.

Phil is also adding some voice over review of what happened, occasionally.

#1836 BMC

BMC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108173
  • Handicap:YES
GolfWRX Likes : 3078

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:17 PM

Yeah.  Not much crap commentary.  They skipped some holes too.  Pretty boring actually.  Those guys are so wealthy the bets seemed meaningless.
Callaway Rogue driver / Cobra SS 350 driver
PING Rapture OG 3 wood
Cobra Baffler Pro 4-hybrid
MacGregor VIP MBs (1990) 4-PW
Vokey wedges
Odyssey #1WS

#1837 straightshot7

straightshot7

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66294
GolfWRX Likes : 2660

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:25 PM

BMC, on 01 December 2018 - 10:17 PM, said:

Yeah.  Not much crap commentary.  They skipped some holes too.  Pretty boring actually.  Those guys are so wealthy the bets seemed meaningless.

They don't sweat over the side bets because they are being donated to charity. And they know people are expecting them to donate a certain amount etc. So part of them doesn't mind losing.

But if the side bets weren't being donated to charity, they'd be criticized for that.

It's a can't win situation.

#1838 Buzzkill

Buzzkill

Hall of Fame

• Marshals
  • 5,674 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40610
  • Handicap:3

Posted 08 December 2018 - 07:52 PM

Just got my DirectTV bill which is now owned by AT&T.  Anyway, they charged me the 19.99 so I had to call the knuckleheads.  Rep directed me to a AT&T link where I had to provide my account number and site said I'd get my refund in 1 to 2 billing cycles.  Guess what - I'm paying my bill this evening minus the 19.99 charge, idiots!

#1839 scotee

scotee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69498
GolfWRX Likes : 12226

Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:28 PM

Mrs. scotee just told me we got a refund from Dish TV. Did not have to ask :)
Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

#1840 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

Smoking Makes You Look Cool!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17461
GolfWRX Likes : 4060

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:55 AM

Buzzkill, on 08 December 2018 - 07:52 PM, said:

Just got my DirectTV bill which is now owned by AT&T.  Anyway, they charged me the 19.99 so I had to call the knuckleheads.  Rep directed me to a AT&T link where I had to provide my account number and site said I'd get my refund in 1 to 2 billing cycles.  Guess what - I'm paying my bill this evening minus the 19.99 charge, idiots!

I think they rely on people not noticing, or figuring it's too much of a hassle for $20. If say, 10,000 people "don't notice/care" that's an extra $200,000 for the bonuses...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors