Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Red shirting

95 replies to this topic

#91 CheckJV

CheckJV

Male Model

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93640
GolfWRX Likes : 796

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:25 PM

I took me 3 years to get through 5th grade and I can tell you it was a huge advantage being able to drive myself to middle school.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#92 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 394

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:49 PM

View Postraynorfan1, on 08 November 2018 - 06:44 PM, said:

View PostNoles, on 08 November 2018 - 05:55 PM, said:

I am a public school teacher in a very successful district in the suburbs of Philadelphia and a parent of one public school student, and one private school student. That's where my views come from.  I also think that putting my child first is not selfish.  Putting my own interest first is inherently selfish, hence the term SELF-ish.  Had I not started my daughter a year later, my wife could have gone back to work sooner and that absolutely would have been better for me.

Pretty blurry line between your "self" interest and that of your child. I'm not sure that I, personally, could draw that distinction.

I'm (legitimately) interested in why you, as a teacher, believe that this is good public policy? Because I've struggled with it for a while, and I don't see it. To me, it feels like an extension of a race-to-the-bottom approach that we've been on as a society forever.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me to hold kids back to prevent them from being disadvantaged. If you're talking about giving a kid an opportunity to achieve in the fat part of the bell curve instead of in the bottom tail, I fully support it. Where it falls apart in my mind is when you start manipulating the structure to create "champions" who perform at the top of the bell curve by virtue of their age (rather than by virtue of their actual ability).

I get why as a parent, one would want this. I don't get how anybody can view it as good public policy.
I'll try to be as succinct as possible.  In my 22 years in elementary school, things have changed dramatically.  What kindergarten looked like in 1997 is completely different than it looks now.  The type of work being done, the rigor of the school day, the number of assessments, and the shortening and elimination of recess are just examples of things during the school day that make it completely different.  Add homework (I didn't have homework when I was in kindergarten) and also before and after care for a lot of kids.  When I started teaching, my district didn't have a before or after care program.  Now, some kids are at school by 7:00 and aren't picked up until 6:00.  I feel so sorry for those kids.  You know what hasn't changed?  The age cutoff for kindergarten.  If a parent looks at this and thinks their 5 year old is not ready for today's kindergarten experience, I have no problem with it.  I did it with my daughter and think it was a great decision for her.

#93 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
GolfWRX Likes : 1760

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:25 PM

View PostNoles, on 08 November 2018 - 08:49 PM, said:

If a parent looks at this and thinks their 5 year old is not ready for today's kindergarten experience, I have no problem with it.  I did it with my daughter and think it was a great decision for her.

To be clear, I have no problem if their 5 year old is not ready for Kindergarten with them holding them. None. I think they should seek out and take the advice of teachers or professionals who have been with the kid, but if the kid isn't ready, the kid isn't ready. Fine by me.

What I have a problem with are the parents who happily acknowledge that their kid is ready for Kindergarten, maybe a bit above average, but they think they would excel if they held them a year. That's the thinking that IMHO is messed up.

#94 kekoa

kekoa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1910

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:26 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 08 November 2018 - 12:21 PM, said:

View PostTigerMom, on 05 November 2018 - 01:01 AM, said:

View PostleftyDH04, on 03 November 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

No real effect on academics?

That's the line I'd question.

There is one kid who took a year off before high school and trained in famous tennis academy

Did some distance learning courses and SAT prep during that year

Went back home the next year and resumed in the grade below his normal classmates

He ended up at school of his choice playing tennis and parents said he was better prepared academically and stronger player

Do you think that works for everybody?  That is the exception, not the rule.

Of course she does.  Iím still still waiting for TigerMom to post something with any substance relating to Junior Golf or golf in general.

Edited by kekoa, 08 November 2018 - 11:27 PM.

#95 TigerMom

TigerMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 504874
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:04 AM

View Postkekoa, on 08 November 2018 - 10:26 PM, said:

There is one kid who took a year off before high school and trained in famous tennis academy

Went back home the next year and resumed in the grade below his normal classmates

He ended up at school of his choice playing tennis and parents said he was better prepared academically and stronger player

Of course she does.  I’m still still waiting for TigerMom to post something with any substance relating to Junior Golf or golf in general.

Actually keko I started this thread, which seems to be quite popular and generating lots of discussion

Ironically YOU are the one who has added nothing to this topic

You are a very rude person

#96 TigerMom

TigerMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 504874
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:07 AM

It doesn’t need to work for everyone

I am giving an example of someone who benefited both academically and athletically

Taking a year off to focus on the main sport and shore up academic weaknesses (in this case, low SAT) can help a lot of kids who are dedicated student-athletes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors