Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

2018 Buick LPGA Shanghai Oct 18-21


71 replies to this topic

#1 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,915 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 23976

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:12 AM

  • Race to the CME Globe: 500 Points
  • Format: 72 holes
  • Purse: $2,100,000
  • Location: Qizhong Garden Golf Club, Shanghai, China
  • Par: 72
  • Yardage: 6729
  • History: This is the inaugural year for the event. The LPGA website lists previous winners for 2016 (In Kyung), 2014 (Mirim), and 2013 (Shanshan). I believe it was previously known as the Reignwood LPGA Classic, and in 2017 it was renamed to the Alisports LPGA before being canceled.
Coverage:
  • Oct 18: Golf Channel 12:30 pm - 4:30 pm (EDT)
  • Oct 19: Golf Channel 12:30 pm - 2:30 pm (EDT)
  • Oct 20: Golf Channel 12:30 pm - 2:30 pm (EDT)
  • Oct 21: Golf Channel 12:00 pm - 2:30 pm (EDT)


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,915 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 23976

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:26 AM

Once again the tape delayed broadcast looks a bit odd with 4, 2, 2, and 2.5 hours of coverage. Hopefully they'll do a better job of editing the rounds, but I'm not holding my breath.

This is one of the longer setups of the year at 6,729 yards. Being at sea level, it will very likely play longer. With only 80 players, I don't believe there is a cut. The field is strong, with 7 out of the top 10 in the World teeing it up. Inbee, Lexi, and Georgia are skipping the event. Last week's winner, In Gee, is playing in her primarily sponsor's KLPGA tournament this week.

The weather forecast looks great with plenty of sunshine, temps in the upper 60's to low 70's, and light winds. There is a chance of light rain on Friday afternoon.

Picking a winner here this week is as tough as they come. So Yeon is rested, and played great at the IC. Danielle and Charley have found some form. Ariya, Sung Hyun, and Minjee are solid. Lydia and Jin Young are playing well. Will Shanshan find her late season form in front of her home crowd?

I'm going to go with Minjee this week. After a few close calls, I'm sure she's itching to get into the multiple winner camp this season.

2

#3 18majors

18majors

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132784
  • Joined: 07/11/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 131

Posted 16 October 2018 - 10:06 AM

View PostArgonne69, on 16 October 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

Once again the tape delayed broadcast looks a bit odd with 4, 2, 2, and 2.5 hours of coverage. Hopefully they'll do a better job of editing the rounds, but I'm not holding my breath.

This is one of the longer setups of the year at 6,729 yards. Being at sea level, it will very likely play longer. With only 80 players, I don't believe there is a cut. The field is strong, with 7 out of the top 10 in the World teeing it up. Inbee, Lexi, and Georgia are skipping the event. Last week's winner, In Gee, is playing in her primarily sponsor's KLPGA tournament this week.

The weather forecast looks great with plenty of sunshine, temps in the upper 60's to low 70's, and light winds. There is a chance of light rain on Friday afternoon.

Picking a winner here this week is as tough as they come. So Yeon is rested, and played great at the IC. Danielle and Charley have found some form. Ariya, Sung Hyun, and Minjee are solid. Lydia and Jin Young are playing well. Will Shanshan find her late season form in front of her home crowd?

I'm going to go with Minjee this week. After a few close calls, I'm sure she's itching to get into the multiple winner camp this season.

So Yeon Ryu, like In Gee Chun, is seeking her third win in three tournament.
She's impressive at UL International Crown; but she's as good a week earlier at Japan Women's Open which she won.

3

#4 Stooch

Stooch

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481884
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 473

Posted 16 October 2018 - 05:56 PM

It seems to be a year of people getting it done at home, I'm gonna go out on a limb and go with Shan Shan  winning

4

#5 18majors

18majors

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132784
  • Joined: 07/11/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 131

Posted 16 October 2018 - 06:06 PM

View PostStooch, on 16 October 2018 - 05:56 PM, said:

It seems to be a year of people getting it done at home, I'm gonna go out on a limb and go with Shan Shan  winning

Stooch

It would've taken an insane final round (-12) for Brooke to win last week!
However, I's surprised that she ran out of gas at the back 9 in round 3 and final round.


5

#6 Stooch

Stooch

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481884
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 473

Posted 16 October 2018 - 06:25 PM

View Post18majors, on 16 October 2018 - 06:06 PM, said:

View PostStooch, on 16 October 2018 - 05:56 PM, said:

It seems to be a year of people getting it done at home, I'm gonna go out on a limb and go with Shan Shan  winning

Stooch

It would've taken an insane final round (-12) for Brooke to win last week!
However, I's surprised that she ran out of gas at the back 9 in round 3 and final round.

Brooke's all feel so IMO it will take her a couple weeks to find the groove of her game after a month off.  After last week, it seemed her irons weren't dialed in and her putting wasn't great.  See if she improves this week

6

#7 Mellow

Mellow

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446316
  • Joined: 11/12/2016
  • Location:Ohio
GolfWRX Likes : 192

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:02 PM

I'm still on cloud nine from the last two weeks!  Can't wait to see how everyone will do.

It does indeed seem like a lot of top players are due.  Stooch makes a strong point about how important home field has been this year.  I'll bandwagon and go with Shanshan too... now is about time for her to strike!

I'm totally cheering for Xiyu to rediscover her game at home and do great.  You can do it.

Gah, this time not only Xiang playing, but Yuting Shi as well...
Now I want to see the KLPGA tourney In Gee's in.

7

#8 WestTex

WestTex

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 503860
  • Joined: 06/05/2018
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:06 AM

Really tough to pick a winner for me this week, lots of good form during the UL and Hana Bank (SHP, Ariya, Minjee).  So I'm going with the obvious choice of Ayako...

8

#9 postfold

postfold

    oh how I LOVE putting

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29687
  • Joined: 05/24/2007
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:09 AM

Minjee looked off to me in the last round on Sunday so I won’t be picking her — even though form can of course change in a heartbeat.  Guess I should consult the pairings to pick out a long ball specialist ... will be rooting for So Yeon tho

9

#10 rushfan96

rushfan96

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1305
  • Joined: 06/01/2005
  • Location:El Paso, Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:14 AM

Paula Creamer sighting


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,915 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 23976

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:40 AM

'No surprise to see Ariya at the top of the leaderboard. Danille's a shot behind, so perhaps last week's play was no fluke. Sei Young is also tied for 2nd. Lydia and Minjee are two back along with Paula, Ryann, Lizette, and Wenbo Liu.

11

#12 18majors

18majors

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132784
  • Joined: 07/11/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 131

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:15 AM

View PostArgonne69, on 18 October 2018 - 07:40 AM, said:

'No surprise to see Ariya at the top of the leaderboard. Danille's a shot behind, so perhaps last week's play was no fluke. Sei Young is also tied for 2nd. Lydia and Minjee are two back along with Paula, Ryann, Lizette, and Wenbo Liu.

Danielle must be a night owl; Asian time zones bring the best out her.

12

#13 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,915 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 23976

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:27 AM

View Post18majors, on 18 October 2018 - 09:15 AM, said:

View PostArgonne69, on 18 October 2018 - 07:40 AM, said:

'No surprise to see Ariya at the top of the leaderboard. Danille's a shot behind, so perhaps last week's play was no fluke. Sei Young is also tied for 2nd. Lydia and Minjee are two back along with Paula, Ryann, Lizette, and Wenbo Liu.

Danielle must be a night owl; Asian time zones bring the best out her.

I don't know for certain, but I have to assume that Danielle was in Korean during the International Crown just in case Michelle had to withdraw prior to the start of competition. She would have been the next player on the rankings list. If so, she's been in Asia for 3 weeks now.

13

#14 78Staff

78Staff

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3676
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
  • Location:Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 487

Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:33 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 18 October 2018 - 09:27 AM, said:

View Post18majors, on 18 October 2018 - 09:15 AM, said:

View PostArgonne69, on 18 October 2018 - 07:40 AM, said:

'No surprise to see Ariya at the top of the leaderboard. Danille's a shot behind, so perhaps last week's play was no fluke. Sei Young is also tied for 2nd. Lydia and Minjee are two back along with Paula, Ryann, Lizette, and Wenbo Liu.

Danielle must be a night owl; Asian time zones bring the best out her.

I don't know for certain, but I have to assume that Danielle was in Korean during the International Crown just in case Michelle had to withdraw prior to the start of competition. She would have been the next player on the rankings list. If so, she's been in Asia for 3 weeks now.

Agreed, she was likely there already.

Glad that were getting to see coverage of SHP, Minjee, Ariya, Brook, Pernialla and the like, since we haven't seen much of them lately...  :derisive:

Yes that's sarcasm folks, I say yes that's sarcasm...(think foghorn leghorn ;).  Seriously though I know they need to show the bankroll players, but at least we are getting to see a few that might not normally get coverage due to the weaker field, although I was hoping for more...

Also seems like the commercial breaks are a lot longer this week for some reason?  Or am I imagining that...  I'm having to hit my 30sec skip a lot more often for today's broadcast so far.
Rouge 9* PX Evenflow Blue 65s
Rouge 13.5* PX Evenflow Black 75s
Titleist 716 T-MB 2i S300
Titleist MB14 3-PW S300
SM6 54/60* S200
Studio Stainless Newport

14

#15 iotone

iotone

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190032
  • Joined: 07/03/2012
  • Location:Southern California
  • Ebay ID:iotone
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:14 PM

View Post18majors, on 18 October 2018 - 09:15 AM, said:

View PostArgonne69, on 18 October 2018 - 07:40 AM, said:

'No surprise to see Ariya at the top of the leaderboard. Danille's a shot behind, so perhaps last week's play was no fluke. Sei Young is also tied for 2nd. Lydia and Minjee are two back along with Paula, Ryann, Lizette, and Wenbo Liu.

Danielle must be a night owl; Asian time zones bring the best out her.

Maybe it's her new instructor...


15

#16 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,915 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 23976

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:09 PM

I like the layout, including the bunkering and the shaggy rough, but wow, those fairways look bad.


16

#17 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,915 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 23976

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:09 PM

Lol. Danielle needs to keep playing well so we can see more interviews with her. Never boring.

17

#18 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,915 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 23976

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:14 PM

What did Angel have for breakfast? -6 after 8 holes this morning with 4 birdies and and eagle.

18

#19 rushfan96

rushfan96

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1305
  • Joined: 06/01/2005
  • Location:El Paso, Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:50 AM

Yin tends to get off to hot starts 🔥

Edited by rushfan96, 19 October 2018 - 08:51 AM.


19

#20 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,915 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 23976

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:56 AM

Ugh. These delayed broadcasts are killer for the thread. Hard to get excited with more than 12 hours delay.

More solid play by the top of the leaderboard. Other than Angel's 65, nothing really jumps out.

It sure appears that Danielle should have moved to Butch ages ago.

Charley withdrew after the 1st round. She didn't seem to be playing hurt.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 WestTex

WestTex

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 503860
  • Joined: 06/05/2018
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 19 October 2018 - 10:03 AM

I took a poll between, well my wife and I, and we decided the two players we'd most love to have a beer with after the round are Danielle Kang and Mel Reid.  Just because we're talking about Danielle.

21

#22 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,915 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 23976

Posted 19 October 2018 - 10:09 AM

View PostWestTex, on 19 October 2018 - 10:03 AM, said:

I took a poll between, well my wife and I, and we decided the two players we'd most love to have a beer with after the round are Danielle Kang and Mel Reid.  Just because we're talking about Danielle.

Gotta ask Charley to join you.

22

#23 WestTex

WestTex

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 503860
  • Joined: 06/05/2018
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 19 October 2018 - 03:17 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 19 October 2018 - 10:09 AM, said:

View PostWestTex, on 19 October 2018 - 10:03 AM, said:

I took a poll between, well my wife and I, and we decided the two players we'd most love to have a beer with after the round are Danielle Kang and Mel Reid.  Just because we're talking about Danielle.

Gotta ask Charley to join you.

That may be difficult.  When we went to the Open this year, we overheard a spectator tell a women he was with, "Look honey, that's Charley Hull.  She's dumb as a box of rocks."

From that point on, we can't help but remember that comment and laugh.  Not because it's true, and not because we believe it, but it was just so random and out of left field.  Why, of all the things you could comment on, would THAT be your only comment about a player?  It just felt so out of place and odd, but hysterical.

He pretty much ruined Charley Hull for us, and now we can't take her seriously.  If I ever find that guy again I'm going to follow him to his favorite restaurant and claim I saw one of the cooks pulling a "Poppy" from Seinfeld.

On another out of place note, I forgot a story about D. Kang from the Open.  When she was walking up to the 10th tee on (I think) the third day, it was very close to tee time.  The USGA starter had been looking at her watch and walking over a little to see if Danielle was going to make it.  It's getting closer and closer to tee time and finally she and her caddie show up with like a minute to spare, but Danielle says (with a little fire) "Don't rush me."  The crowd chuckled.

It was funny.  Danielle was so nice to everyone she interacted with when we met her, but knowing a little more about Danielle and her personality we weren't surprised by this either.  She tells it like it is, hence the beer poll.  I think that's why we like her, she shows emotion and gets p***ed like the rest of us when we play bad.  Granted, probably not the best for a pro to do that score-wise, but she's human after all.  Love it.

23

#24 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,915 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 23976

Posted 19 October 2018 - 03:20 PM

Browsing through the LPGA's news, I was a bit surprised to see that only two players have wins on the LPGA in each of the past four seasons, Sei Young and Brooke. Given the talent at the top of the world rankings, it's surprising to see how many players went winless for more than 12 months, including So Yeon, Ariya, Lydia, Minjee, Inbee, In Gee, Lexi, Shanshan, Jessica, Anna, Cristie, and Michelle.

24

#25 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,915 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 23976

Posted 19 October 2018 - 03:24 PM

I don't know if everyone caught it, but last week Danielle gave her caddie Ollie the big double middle finger salute after she cleared one of the bunkers off the tee. I assume he had told her she'd never make it.

During the first round this week she gave Ollie a good smack in the arm for some reason. She certainly appears to be looser on the course, and seems to take bad shots a little more in stride.


25

#26 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,915 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 23976

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:51 PM

Lol. DK: I will not chunk this shot.


26

#27 Raving Shanker

Raving Shanker

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465832
  • Joined: 05/01/2017
  • Location:Australia
  • Handicap:47
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:07 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 19 October 2018 - 03:20 PM, said:

Browsing through the LPGA's news, I was a bit surprised to see that only two players have wins on the LPGA in each of the past four seasons, Sei Young and Brooke. Given the talent at the top of the world rankings, it's surprising to see how many players went winless for more than 12 months, including So Yeon, Ariya, Lydia, Minjee, Inbee, In Gee, Lexi, Shanshan, Jessica, Anna, Cristie, and Michelle.
And one of Sei Young's was at Lorena's match-play event, so not a conventional stroke victory. It is pretty amazing. Well done to those two, and especially Brooke.

27

#28 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,915 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 23976

Posted 20 October 2018 - 05:45 AM

Once again it's shaping up to be an exciting final round. Carlota fires a solid 5 under to grab a share of the lead, as Sei Young only manages a 1 under 3rd round. However, Angel, Danielle, Ariya, and Brittany A are right there at one shot back, and Yu, Paula, Minjee, and Bronte are three back. Mi Hyang and Wenbo are likely still in it trailing by four.

'Tough to call this one.

28

#29 Rustbelt

Rustbelt

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 373595
  • Joined: 04/28/2015
  • Location:Boiling Springs, SC
GolfWRX Likes : 151

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:06 AM

Interesting that Paula Creamer is hanging around.  It almost feels like 10 years ago.  :golfer:
Sometimes, having too many near the top gets confusing.  I am not sure which enjoyable: to have 6 to 10 players near the top or 2 or 3 battling it out....

29

#30 18majors

18majors

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132784
  • Joined: 07/11/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 131

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:08 AM

View PostArgonne69, on 20 October 2018 - 05:45 AM, said:

Once again it's shaping up to be an exciting final round. Carlota fires a solid 5 under to grab a share of the lead, as Sei Young only manages a 1 under 3rd round. However, Angel, Danielle, Ariya, and Brittany A are right there at one shot back, and Yu, Paula, Minjee, and Bronte are three back. Mi Hyang and Wenbo are likely still in it trailing by four.

'Tough to call this one.

When in doubt, pencil in Ariya.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors