Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What is the "ideal" driver shaft length according to height?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tinymoon

Tinymoon

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34350
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:06 PM

should have posted this as a new thread instead of replying earlier.

I cut my burner from a 46" to a 44.5" and I'm 5'7". The guy at Golf Galaxy recommended 44" for my height and my 6'2" uncle suggested it also because he's using a 44.5" right now. Are there any websites that give suggested driver shaft lengths according to the person's height? I know I can choke down 0.5" but cutting it down really feels better and makes a difference (I added lead tape to keep the swing weight the same too). Do you guys think I should go down to 44"? Anyone play a shaft shorter than 44.5"? If so, how tall are you? Thanks in advance.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 OrangeBlood

OrangeBlood

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53782

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:06 PM

I didn't know there was a driver length for diff. heights. I was always told to swing the longest you can control. For me that's 44".

#3 Burns

Burns

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52211
  • Ebay ID:papatraffic
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:20 PM

Agree that you should swing what you can control, but if you want guidelines...

1. Its not about you height, its your wrist to floor measurement.  Assuming its about average for your height, 44" is fine.  Wishon would probably recommend 43.5", GS might recommend 45"

2.  I'm ~5'8".  I've played a 43.5" driver up to 46" driver.  Anything over 45" is too long.  You just can't get in a good posture.  43.5" seems just a tad short.  You really must pay attention to your set-up or you end up reaching.  I'm playing 45" right now, mainly to keep my swingweight up, but I'd be happy with 44.5" and not lose any distance.
Anser 8.5* Phenom 50s
CB2 16.5* Epic, HDI 19* 23* Phenom 1
I20 5-GW c-taper 120s
Eye2 XG SW & LW
Ketsch 34" Flatso Ultra
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/Burns

#4 Tinymoon

Tinymoon

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34350

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. Ya, I would say my wrist to floor measurement is about average. I was fitted as a black dot (standard) for ping clubs.

#5 3step

3step

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42998
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:00 PM

Oh c'mon now-

Driver length determined by height? wrist to floor? why not just guess?

Driver length has to do with with your angle of attack, and your desired shaft weight/head weight combination. -which is all about either swinging the club or finding a good fit- but never found according to height. Both angle of attack and shaft weight are the base parts of your swing and your desired objectives.

Why do you think many women on the LPGA often use longer drivers than PGA players?

Regards, 3

#6 JCAG

JCAG

John Curry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21371
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:09 AM

Static (non-moving) mesurements were and ar used by folks that are not personally fitting a player. Are they better then none? Some say yes (those that use them) and some say no (those that do not use them).

Idealy the best test for length is for you to hit various length clubs while your swing and ball reaction is measured. Anything less is simply that, less.

#7 fillphil

fillphil

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40107
  • Ebay ID:gamayrose
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:58 AM

Take some tape and cover the grip from butt to tip. Mark the tape in 1/2" increments. Go out to the range and hit balls from the various lengths marked. You'll soon know what's comfortable for you. Don't worry too much , at first, about distance. But just the feel of control. After deciding which is best length for you ,check the SW and adjust that also if you feel the need. The distance will be there due to your confidence and comfort.

#8 PixlPutterman

PixlPutterman

Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24110
  • Ebay ID:MikesChevelle
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

There is only recommendations, and those are subjective at best. I for one am in the boat that to short is better than to long.

Im 5'11" and i prefer to be between 44 and 44.5
983K / 975D 9.5 - S300
Mizuno 18* MP Fli Hi - S300
Mizuno 23* MP Fli Hi - S300
Maxfli Rev Black 1-PW - S300 (1-4 bench)
TM Tour FE2o3 Y-Cutters 52*/58* - S300
Odyssey White Ice #9

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors