Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Critique My Swing As I Need Help!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 JBX

JBX

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 513972
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:04 PM

I have been lurking the instructional pages the last few days and noticed that many members give good tips. I am hoping some of you will be able to send me a few tips to try out based on my swing (I have thick skin). I seem to lack distance and would love to be able to pick some up. I do not have a book handicap but my average over the last 18 rounds is 79. I do not make many birdies but I do keep it in play and have a decent short game. The strength of my game used to be accuracy off the tee, but the last few rounds not so much. I did hit it pretty accurate the day these videos were taken though. I have always been a handsy/feel type of player and have never had a lesson. My driver misses are most always left and my iron misses are usually hit fat.

Anyone have any tips based off of my swing that they care to share? I would love to increase ball speed with the driver as I am in the 138-140 range now but I am open to any kind of tips or drills. I think it is about time to bring a little of the technical side of golf to my game.

Current driver distance about 245 yards.

8 iron 145-150 yards.

8 Iron Front View
https://youtu.be/5uKXUhBfvzI

8 Iron DTL
https://youtu.be/w-R7G9bn1O8

Driver Front View
https://youtu.be/m2CdB7pDXcg

Driver DTL
https://youtu.be/F3SulY2Dggo

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

Rebellion Golf

• Sponsors
  • 18,007 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 11118

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:31 PM

Camera angle isnít good enough to see a whole lot, but arms are trailing the body on the downswing.

First step would be to decrease arm swing in the backswing.  Might be an issue causing that, but hard to say with these camera angles.

#3 carrera

carrera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139
GolfWRX Likes : 326

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:16 AM

An earlier wrist set would help.  Here are two pictures...backswing and downswing.  More wrist set on the backswing might reduce your backswing length and result in more retained set on the downswing.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 10.12.27 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 10.12.49 PM.png

#4 BrianMcG

BrianMcG

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71565
GolfWRX Likes : 2075

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:00 AM

Ball position is too,far back.
Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

#5 JBX

JBX

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:46 AM

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 11 October 2018 - 11:31 PM, said:

Camera angle isnít good enough to see a whole lot, but arms are trailing the body on the downswing.

First step would be to decrease arm swing in the backswing.  Might be an issue causing that, but hard to say with these camera angles.

Thank you Monte. I will try to decrease the backswing and see if that helps. I will also try for a better camera angle.

#6 JBX

JBX

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:48 AM

View Postcarrera, on 12 October 2018 - 12:16 AM, said:

An earlier wrist set would help.  Here are two pictures...backswing and downswing.  More wrist set on the backswing might reduce your backswing length and result in more retained set on the downswing.

Thank you Carrera. Hopefully I can hit a few balls today and try to set earlier and abbreviate the backswing some

#7 JBX

JBX

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:49 AM

View PostBrianMcG, on 12 October 2018 - 01:00 AM, said:

Ball position is too,far back.

I think it may be the camera angle as it was in front of me a little bit. Hopefully I can get a better angle next trip out.

#8 TheInfidel

TheInfidel

Gotta let the Big Dog eat....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 264528
GolfWRX Likes : 909

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:54 AM

Take the club back low and slow to help with your arm/body timing on the rotation.  You've picked the club up too quickly and the face angle suffers as a result.
  • Titleist 915D2 10.5* Diamana Blue Board 72 X Flex
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X
  • Adams Idea A7 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno JPX 900 Forged, Project X LZ 6.5 +0.5' 4-PW
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 58* S400 +0.5'
  • Odyssey Dual Force 990

#9 JBX

JBX

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:06 AM

View PostTheInfidel, on 12 October 2018 - 06:54 AM, said:

Take the club back low and slow to help with your arm/body timing on the rotation.  You've picked the club up too quickly and the face angle suffers as a result.

Thank you Theinfidel. I just looked back at the video and you are correct, my first move looks to be lifting grip towards the sky. Will try and get rid of that with the low and slow. Great eye and tip!

#10 JBX

JBX

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:58 PM

I made it back to the range today to try and shorten up my backswing and try and get some better angles on video. I tried like hell, but now that I am looking at the videos, it does not look like I shortened it too much. I also tried to add more hinge, that did not seem to go so well either. I did hit the ball good though. I did not try and shorten it with the driver, should I?

Any drills that have worked well for anybody to help keep the arms from trailing the body?

8 Iron DTL
https://youtu.be/TAMPQxbJh7A

8 Iron Front
https://youtu.be/SdX2emeh_HY

Driver DTL
https://youtu.be/HUmx0MlPbDo

Today is on the right. Was trying to get more wrist set.

Posted Image

Try to shorten backswing. Today on right.
Posted Image

Edited by JBX, 12 October 2018 - 03:16 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

Rebellion Golf

• Sponsors
  • 18,007 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:13 PM

You will not see significant visual changes for weeks and months.

Intending to shorten arm swing and better hinge had some positive affects.

This is a big reason golfers dont improve.  They go to the range 1/2 times with swing improvement plans, they see no change and give up.

Same reasons diets and workout regimens fail.

It takes time to reprogram and ingrained motor function.

#12 JBX

JBX

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:24 PM

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 12 October 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

You will not see significant visual changes for weeks and months.

Intending to shorten arm swing and better hinge had some positive affects.

This is a big reason golfers dont improve.  They go to the range 1/2 times with swing improvement plans, they see no change and give up.

Same reasons diets and workout regimens fail.

It takes time to reprogram and ingrained motor function.

Great advice Monte (as always). Like a diet, it is a lifestyle change. If you do not make it the new norm, it will go back to what is was before any change was made. I did see minor improvement after looking at the videos and pics, hopefully it will sink in more and more with continuing reps. The good thing is that I hit the ball good. That makes it much easier to stay with it.

#13 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

Rebellion Golf

• Sponsors
  • 18,007 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:44 PM

That may not be significant improvement visually, but for one range session it’s huge.

#14 JBX

JBX

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:53 PM

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 12 October 2018 - 03:44 PM, said:

That may not be significant improvement visually, but for one range session itís huge.

Thank you for the encouragement, it is much needed mentally. I have been struggling with keeping my spine angle since a shoulder injury kept me away from the game for a few years. Although it still looks like it needs work, I have seen a big improvement the last 6 months. I have also picked up a few tips for it in other posts I have seen in this site.

#15 Mosh96

Mosh96

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 420052
  • Handicap:18
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:39 AM

It looks like youíre heading in the right direction. I used to have a long swing as well. Try to feel like you get more of your swing from that wrist set instead of just arms like others have said. One thing that helped me shorten my swing was taking a lot of 3/4 shots and trying to stop the backswing when my arm was parallel to the ground. It wonít actually stop there, but what feels like a 3/4 swing to you will probably be the right amount of backswing. Keep working at it.

#16 JBX

JBX

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:47 AM

View PostMosh96, on 13 October 2018 - 07:39 AM, said:

It looks like youíre heading in the right direction. I used to have a long swing as well. Try to feel like you get more of your swing from that wrist set instead of just arms like others have said. One thing that helped me shorten my swing was taking a lot of 3/4 shots and trying to stop the backswing when my arm was parallel to the ground. It wonít actually stop there, but what feels like a 3/4 swing to you will probably be the right amount of backswing. Keep working at it.

Thanks for the tip and encouragement Mosh. Lol, the pic in right was my 3/4, at least it felt like it. Funny how the camera does not lie. The 3/4 thinking is going to be my only swing though the next few range trips, hopefully I will see more improvement after a few more trips.

#17 Millbrook

Millbrook

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216859
GolfWRX Likes : 474

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:04 AM

One tip I saw for shortening the swing was to not let the hands get above the head. The pro who did this hardly lost any distance as well. The hands will get higher in practice but it's a good intent.

it took me 1600 drills to improve wrist c0ck to the point it felt normal. You have to persist with it and slo mo practice without hitting a ball helps.

The other thing I found helped me was to identify what you currently do (x) and what you want to do (y) and say to yourself - instead of x do y. Then it's almost like watching yourself outside your body and checking what you did because you will revert to the old. Ah I did x there, get back to y.
All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

#18 JBX

JBX

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:06 AM

View PostMillbrook, on 13 October 2018 - 08:04 AM, said:

One tip I saw for shortening the swing was to not let the hands get above the head. The pro who did this hardly lost any distance as well. The hands will get higher in practice but it's a good intent.

it took me 1600 drills to improve wrist c0ck to the point it felt normal. You have to persist with it and slo mo practice without hitting a ball helps.

The other thing I found helped me was to identify what you currently do (x) and what you want to do (y) and say to yourself - instead of x do y. Then it's almost like watching yourself outside your body and checking what you did because you will revert to the old. Ah I did x there, get back to y.

Thank you Millbrook. I actually looked at some of Tigers swings and saw a few positions that I would like to get closer to. Mainly to try and shorten that backswing and keep my arms more in front of my chest. I may need 1600 reps also to get that wrist set better in order to do so. It also looked like I need to get my right side more connected to my right arm towards impact in order to keep the power and spine angle intact.

#19 jut111

jut111

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205837
GolfWRX Likes : 981

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:36 AM

It may help to understand independent vs dependent arm motion.  Nearly all of the arm motion you need is a result of your pivot I.e your rib cage turning. You really donít need to do much independent movement of your arms.

I find at least understanding the concept helps allow my brain to execute it.

#20 Millbrook

Millbrook

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:38 AM

The drill at the end of this video may be of help;

to expertise.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 JBX

JBX

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:44 PM

View Postjut111, on 13 October 2018 - 11:36 AM, said:

It may help to understand independent vs dependent arm motion.  Nearly all of the arm motion you need is a result of your pivot I.e your rib cage turning. You really donít need to do much independent movement of your arms.

I find at least understanding the concept helps allow my brain to execute it.

Sounds like trying to make a power shot in hockey, at least in my head. Most power coming from the core and arms just staying connected. I will have to try with some half swings.

#22 JBX

JBX

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:45 PM

View PostMillbrook, on 13 October 2018 - 11:38 AM, said:

The drill at the end of this video may be of help;

Thanks for the video Millbrook. Will give that a go and see how it resignates with me.

#23 Millbrook

Millbrook

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:12 AM

Another interesting video about the correct downswing sequence. At the beginning they mention how doing it can help to shorten the backswing or if you are not doing it properly how difficult it is to shorten the backswing;

to expertise.

#24 JBX

JBX

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:14 AM

Millbrook, on 16 October 2018 - 11:12 AM, said:

Another interesting video about the correct downswing sequence. At the beginning they mention how doing it can help to shorten the backswing or if you are not doing it properly how difficult it is to shorten the backswing;

Thanks for the video Millbrook. My last few sessions I have just been concentrating on keeping my posture and shortening the swing. I seem to be able to shorten the swing much easier with irons than the driver. This video may help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors