Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How do you respond to this...


108 replies to this topic

#61 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 11,964 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 8205

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:31 PM

View PostSkhacker, on 10 October 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 10 October 2018 - 02:27 PM, said:

View PostSkhacker, on 10 October 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

I delete the conversation

Do you even answer them?
No. My stuff always seems to sell within a day or two so I don't waste my time with people that don't make an offer.
I used to answer with "What's the most you're willing to pay?" but don't even bother anymore.
It just seems somewhat lazy on the buyers part to me. I always check sold eBay listings and previous BST listings and list for the same or lower. I guess if I had trouble selling an item I needed to get rid of I might be inclined to answer, but I haven't come across that situation yet.

Fair enough. Your feedback speaks for itself, obviously a top notch seller.

I guess it proves that “to each their own” is very true.

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#62 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 11,964 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 8205

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:37 PM

View Postlarryd3, on 10 October 2018 - 03:16 PM, said:

Guess I'd give them the price that I've decided is the minimum I need for the sale.  And I will tell them that so it's a take it or leave it at that point.

That’s what I’m asking for when I ask. And if I do ask, it is definitely take it or leave it.

But if someone decides they’re  selling soemthing, and the least they’ll  take is $200. If they tell me that and it works for me, all I’m going to ask for is PayPal info so I can send the money. A whole lot of hassle just got avoided.

Delete the conversation without even an answer and a sale, for an amount the seller would be  satisfied with, is gone.




Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

2

#63 TheBIIgCat

TheBIIgCat

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246615
  • Joined: 04/22/2013
  • Location:SC
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 372

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:40 PM

I respond with I can’t buy it and sell it, make me an offer
Driver- Ping GMax with 70 gram Tensei Pro Orange
3-Wood- 13.5 910 FD with Kuro Kage Xt 70
Hybrid- 915 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85
Irons- ( 3-PW ) Srixon 945,745,545 raw heads with OTi 105x shafts-Wedges- Sm6 Vokey 48 bent 2 degrees strong - sm6 vokey raw 56 bent to 55 , 58 TVD Vokey ( Steelfibers )
Putter- Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 Studio Torch Finish that I did...

3

#64 KC13

KC13

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 360243
  • Joined: 01/30/2015
  • Location:31st State
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 159

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:47 PM

Imagine a BST full of "whats your lowest" when most of the items being sold are already at half price.  Exceptions for collectible and limited release items...

Ideal scenario;

Buyer: Whats your lowest?
Seller: I have it listed for $250 but its yours for $225 PayPal'd and shipped.
Buyer: Payment incoming, thanks!

Annoying scenario;

Buyer: Whats your lowest?
Seller: I have it listed for $250 but its yours for $225 PayPal'd and shipped.
(two days later)....
Buyer: You still got that Scotty?
Seller: Yes, $225 PayPal'd and shipped.
Buyer: Will you take $185?
(conversation deleted)....

- KC

Edited by KC13, 10 October 2018 - 04:51 PM.

"Practice puts brains in your muscles."

- Sam Snead

4

#65 Golfer4Life

Golfer4Life

    Bob Parsons Bodyguard, Chump!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41635
  • Joined: 11/01/2007
  • Location:Lake Placid, N.Y. Whiteface G.C.
GolfWRX Likes : 1131

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:49 PM

I respond politely and move on.

PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......

Equipment:

A bag full of PXG’s
Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009

“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

5

#66 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 11,964 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 8205

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:57 PM

View PostKC13, on 10 October 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

Imagine a BST full of "whats your lowest" when most of the items being sold are already at half price.  Exceptions for collectible and limited release items...

Ideal scenario;

Buyer: Whats your lowest?
Seller: I have it listed for $250 but its yours for $225 PayPal'd and shipped.
Buyer: Payment incoming, thanks!

Annoying scenario;

Buyer: Whats your lowest?
Seller: I have it listed for $250 but its yours for $225 PayPal'd and shipped.
(two days later)....
Buyer: You still got that Scotty?
Seller: Yes, $225 PayPal'd and shipped.
Buyer: Will you take $185?
(conversation deleted)....

- KC

The second scenario, when he says will you take $185?  Now it’s $265!
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

6

#67 cgbm

cgbm

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130319
  • Joined: 06/08/2011
  • Location:long island, ny
GolfWRX Likes : 230

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:01 PM

Dang.

Alot of angry sellers here.

Its a sale and should be approached that way by both sides. There really is no tight or wrong question or answer. If you are inquiring then ask however you want. If your responding to an inquiry then also do so however you want.

If your approach is to delete then block your inquiring buyers then so be it. You just narrowed your buyer potential.

If you ask one ended inquiries then you may have lowered your chances of a deal.

Both sides should approach every deal with the hopes to make a deal. At least thats what has worked for me in the past.

7

#68 straightshot7

straightshot7

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66294
  • Joined: 09/23/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 2651

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:52 PM

View Postcgbm, on 10 October 2018 - 06:01 PM, said:

Dang.

Alot of angry sellers here.

Its a sale and should be approached that way by both sides. There really is no tight or wrong question or answer. If you are inquiring then ask however you want. If your responding to an inquiry then also do so however you want.

If your approach is to delete then block your inquiring buyers then so be it. You just narrowed your buyer potential.

If you ask one ended inquiries then you may have lowered your chances of a deal.

Both sides should approach every deal with the hopes to make a deal. At least thats what has worked for me in the past.

Yeah and since opening with "what's the lowest you'll take?" clearly doesn't sit well with a lot of sellers...it's probably not the best or even a good approach when you're "hoping to make a deal".

8

#69 jli2636

jli2636

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129436
  • Joined: 05/24/2011
  • Location:Columbia, MO
GolfWRX Likes : 340

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:02 PM

View PostGoIrish17, on 10 October 2018 - 01:11 PM, said:

OP here. I just wanted to clarify, the question that prompted this post was not a BST offer, but an offer on an item I had listed on eBay with a Buy-it-Now price and the Best Offer option. I probably should have specified my question, seeing as how everyone just assumed I was talking about BST (and rightly so). I have fielded my fair share of "what's the lowest you'll take?" here on BST, and while a little frustrating because they are trying to circumvent the negotiation process and just get me to "whip it out" (so to speak) and tell them what my rock bottom is, it's not offensive to me and I'll try to tactfully use it as a jumping off point in a negotiation. Because, the honest answer to the question of "what is the lowest you'll take?" is "the most someone is willing to pay", but I am also not looking to fleece any members here. I will always give members here the benefit of the doubt and never slam the door shut on an inquiry. Well, I might be a little shorter with the guys that have no posts, a recent join date, and no feedback... but we're all homies here as far as I'm concerned about the BST.

What made me post this was the fact that it was an eBay BIN sale with a best offer option. Clearly, it was someone kicking tires and not looking to place a committable offer via the option on my listing. When I sell here, I enjoy a little back-and-forth with a potential buyer. Allows me to "feel them out", so to speak. Now, when my item has made the rapid decent down the first page and disappears on to the older pages and I decide to move an item to eBay, I do it because I am done babysitting an ad. I am not looking to dicker back and forth via private message on eBay.

Basically, I was curious how others handle this situation in all aspects of selling, not just the unique world of the BST. I tried to keepo my answer as brief and impersonal as possible. "You're free to make an offer. I will consider any reasonable offer, but I am not desperate and not looking to give my putter away".

My problem with the best offer feature on EBay is that if you aren’t going to accept anything less than what it’s listed at why put it as an option?

9

#70 cgbm

cgbm

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130319
  • Joined: 06/08/2011
  • Location:long island, ny
GolfWRX Likes : 230

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:11 PM

View Poststraightshot7, on 10 October 2018 - 06:52 PM, said:

View Postcgbm, on 10 October 2018 - 06:01 PM, said:

Dang.

Alot of angry sellers here.

Its a sale and should be approached that way by both sides. There really is no tight or wrong question or answer. If you are inquiring then ask however you want. If your responding to an inquiry then also do so however you want.

If your approach is to delete then block your inquiring buyers then so be it. You just narrowed your buyer potential.

If you ask one ended inquiries then you may have lowered your chances of a deal.

Both sides should approach every deal with the hopes to make a deal. At least thats what has worked for me in the past.

Yeah and since opening with "what's the lowest you'll take?" clearly doesn't sit well with a lot of sellers...it's probably not the best or even a good approach when you're "hoping to make a deal".

I cant recall ever using it. And absolutely revised my statement if i got no response quickly.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#71 GoIrish17

GoIrish17

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,956 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157931
  • Joined: 01/26/2012
  • Location:Cuyahoga Falls, OH
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:bschultz0170
GolfWRX Likes : 3774

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:38 PM

View Postjli2636, on 10 October 2018 - 07:02 PM, said:

View PostGoIrish17, on 10 October 2018 - 01:11 PM, said:

OP here. I just wanted to clarify, the question that prompted this post was not a BST offer, but an offer on an item I had listed on eBay with a Buy-it-Now price and the Best Offer option. I probably should have specified my question, seeing as how everyone just assumed I was talking about BST (and rightly so). I have fielded my fair share of "what's the lowest you'll take?" here on BST, and while a little frustrating because they are trying to circumvent the negotiation process and just get me to "whip it out" (so to speak) and tell them what my rock bottom is, it's not offensive to me and I'll try to tactfully use it as a jumping off point in a negotiation. Because, the honest answer to the question of "what is the lowest you'll take?" is "the most someone is willing to pay", but I am also not looking to fleece any members here. I will always give members here the benefit of the doubt and never slam the door shut on an inquiry. Well, I might be a little shorter with the guys that have no posts, a recent join date, and no feedback... but we're all homies here as far as I'm concerned about the BST.

What made me post this was the fact that it was an eBay BIN sale with a best offer option. Clearly, it was someone kicking tires and not looking to place a committable offer via the option on my listing. When I sell here, I enjoy a little back-and-forth with a potential buyer. Allows me to "feel them out", so to speak. Now, when my item has made the rapid decent down the first page and disappears on to the older pages and I decide to move an item to eBay, I do it because I am done babysitting an ad. I am not looking to dicker back and forth via private message on eBay.

Basically, I was curious how others handle this situation in all aspects of selling, not just the unique world of the BST. I tried to keepo my answer as brief and impersonal as possible. "You're free to make an offer. I will consider any reasonable offer, but I am not desperate and not looking to give my putter away".

My problem with the best offer feature on EBay is that if you aren't going to accept anything less than what it's listed at why put it as an option?

Who said they wouldn't accept anything less than the listed price? I use the feature exactly the same as "OBO" here on BST. I have a number in my head I'd like to get for my item, but I'm not going to indulge some stranger on eBay in his tire kicking. If he wanted to make an offer, he was more than welcome to. The problem I imagine from his end, though, is that if he made an offer (rather than message me) and I accepted, he'd be on the hook to pay it.
Winter Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 ('17) 10.5° UST Elements Platinum
Fairway: SLDR 15° Fujikura Fuel 70
Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot Pro 18° Speeder HB 8.8
Driving Iron: Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi 4 iron Accra Fx 300H
Irons: Adams CB3 satin 5-pw Recoil 110 Prototype
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 raw 48°, 54°, 60° KBS 610 125
Putter: Tad Moore Pro 1S prototype
Putter: Scotty AOP Newport oil can
Putter: Piretti Potenza II black


WITB: http://www.golfwrx.c...sh17s-new-witb/

11

#72 MrTmag

MrTmag

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216431
  • Joined: 12/17/2012
  • Location:NC
GolfWRX Likes : 424

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:02 PM

I hate the back forth when buying stuff so I always ask what their bottom dollar is and if it’s a good number for me I buy it if not I move on. It’s better than than a 30 post back and forth argument over a couple of bucks.

Edited by MrTmag, 10 October 2018 - 08:03 PM.


12

#73 nogamejames

nogamejames

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86437
  • Joined: 06/23/2009
  • Location:Bay area California
  • Ebay ID:jamesa666666
GolfWRX Likes : 224

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:15 PM

I try to price everything low enough so I don't have to worry about that but it still happens.  I am more open to that when a buyer wants multiple items.
WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Matrix 8M3
3 Wood: TM 16 M2 13* Diamana Thump 75
4-7 Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler 19* PX Evenflow
4 Iron: TM RSI TP UDI Aldila Rip'd VS Proto
5-PW: Bridgestone J15DF KBS C-Taper
50,56,60: Callaway MD3, Vokey TVD, Mizuno T7
Putter: Method 003, Bettinardi Queen B7

13

#74 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 11,964 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 8205

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:19 PM

View PostMrTmag, on 10 October 2018 - 08:02 PM, said:

I hate the back forth when buying stuff so I always ask what their bottom dollar is and if it’s a good number for me I buy it if not I move on. It’s better than than a 30 post back and forth argument over a couple of bucks.

Did you see the thread in DoND (locked right now for cleanup). 49 posts and multiple days to almost complete a purchase.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

14

#75 Augster

Augster

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,844 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30291
  • Joined: 05/31/2007
  • Location:MPLS, MN
GolfWRX Likes : 1574

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:29 PM

View PostKC13, on 10 October 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

Imagine a BST full of "whats your lowest" when most of the items being sold are already at half price.  Exceptions for collectible and limited release items...

Ideal scenario;

Buyer: Whats your lowest?
Seller: I have it listed for $250 but its yours for $225 PayPal'd and shipped.
Buyer: Payment incoming, thanks!

Annoying scenario;

Buyer: Whats your lowest?
Seller: I have it listed for $250 but its yours for $225 PayPal'd and shipped.
(two days later)....
Buyer: You still got that Scotty?
Seller: Yes, $225 PayPal'd and shipped.
Buyer: Will you take $185?
(conversation deleted)....

- KC

This. All day every day for, it seems like, every sale I’ve ever made on BST and/or make and offer on EBay.

Now I don’t negotiate against myself.


15

#76 BKN1964

BKN1964

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 355701
  • Joined: 01/01/2015
  • Location:Northern Kentucky
GolfWRX Likes : 659

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:48 PM

Another option, if you're the type of person who views an inquiry as a "buy signal" and their question is the start of a possible negotiation:  "What do you think it's worth?"

16

#77 jli2636

jli2636

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129436
  • Joined: 05/24/2011
  • Location:Columbia, MO
GolfWRX Likes : 340

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:53 PM

View PostGoIrish17, on 10 October 2018 - 07:38 PM, said:

View Postjli2636, on 10 October 2018 - 07:02 PM, said:

View PostGoIrish17, on 10 October 2018 - 01:11 PM, said:

OP here. I just wanted to clarify, the question that prompted this post was not a BST offer, but an offer on an item I had listed on eBay with a Buy-it-Now price and the Best Offer option. I probably should have specified my question, seeing as how everyone just assumed I was talking about BST (and rightly so). I have fielded my fair share of "what's the lowest you'll take?" here on BST, and while a little frustrating because they are trying to circumvent the negotiation process and just get me to "whip it out" (so to speak) and tell them what my rock bottom is, it's not offensive to me and I'll try to tactfully use it as a jumping off point in a negotiation. Because, the honest answer to the question of "what is the lowest you'll take?" is "the most someone is willing to pay", but I am also not looking to fleece any members here. I will always give members here the benefit of the doubt and never slam the door shut on an inquiry. Well, I might be a little shorter with the guys that have no posts, a recent join date, and no feedback... but we're all homies here as far as I'm concerned about the BST.

What made me post this was the fact that it was an eBay BIN sale with a best offer option. Clearly, it was someone kicking tires and not looking to place a committable offer via the option on my listing. When I sell here, I enjoy a little back-and-forth with a potential buyer. Allows me to "feel them out", so to speak. Now, when my item has made the rapid decent down the first page and disappears on to the older pages and I decide to move an item to eBay, I do it because I am done babysitting an ad. I am not looking to dicker back and forth via private message on eBay.

Basically, I was curious how others handle this situation in all aspects of selling, not just the unique world of the BST. I tried to keepo my answer as brief and impersonal as possible. "You're free to make an offer. I will consider any reasonable offer, but I am not desperate and not looking to give my putter away".

My problem with the best offer feature on EBay is that if you aren't going to accept anything less than what it's listed at why put it as an option?

Who said they wouldn't accept anything less than the listed price? I use the feature exactly the same as "OBO" here on BST. I have a number in my head I'd like to get for my item, but I'm not going to indulge some stranger on eBay in his tire kicking. If he wanted to make an offer, he was more than welcome to. The problem I imagine from his end, though, is that if he made an offer (rather than message me) and I accepted, he'd be on the hook to pay it.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. Wasn’t talking about you. I’ve made quite a few offers that are within $10-20 of the asking price and they have gotten rejected immediately, showing me they had the “auto decline” set basically at their asking price.

17

#78 GoIrish17

GoIrish17

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,956 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157931
  • Joined: 01/26/2012
  • Location:Cuyahoga Falls, OH
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:bschultz0170
GolfWRX Likes : 3774

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:13 PM

View Postjli2636, on 10 October 2018 - 08:53 PM, said:

View PostGoIrish17, on 10 October 2018 - 07:38 PM, said:

View Postjli2636, on 10 October 2018 - 07:02 PM, said:

View PostGoIrish17, on 10 October 2018 - 01:11 PM, said:

OP here. I just wanted to clarify, the question that prompted this post was not a BST offer, but an offer on an item I had listed on eBay with a Buy-it-Now price and the Best Offer option. I probably should have specified my question, seeing as how everyone just assumed I was talking about BST (and rightly so). I have fielded my fair share of "what's the lowest you'll take?" here on BST, and while a little frustrating because they are trying to circumvent the negotiation process and just get me to "whip it out" (so to speak) and tell them what my rock bottom is, it's not offensive to me and I'll try to tactfully use it as a jumping off point in a negotiation. Because, the honest answer to the question of "what is the lowest you'll take?" is "the most someone is willing to pay", but I am also not looking to fleece any members here. I will always give members here the benefit of the doubt and never slam the door shut on an inquiry. Well, I might be a little shorter with the guys that have no posts, a recent join date, and no feedback... but we're all homies here as far as I'm concerned about the BST.

What made me post this was the fact that it was an eBay BIN sale with a best offer option. Clearly, it was someone kicking tires and not looking to place a committable offer via the option on my listing. When I sell here, I enjoy a little back-and-forth with a potential buyer. Allows me to "feel them out", so to speak. Now, when my item has made the rapid decent down the first page and disappears on to the older pages and I decide to move an item to eBay, I do it because I am done babysitting an ad. I am not looking to dicker back and forth via private message on eBay.

Basically, I was curious how others handle this situation in all aspects of selling, not just the unique world of the BST. I tried to keepo my answer as brief and impersonal as possible. "You're free to make an offer. I will consider any reasonable offer, but I am not desperate and not looking to give my putter away".

My problem with the best offer feature on EBay is that if you aren't going to accept anything less than what it's listed at why put it as an option?

Who said they wouldn't accept anything less than the listed price? I use the feature exactly the same as "OBO" here on BST. I have a number in my head I'd like to get for my item, but I'm not going to indulge some stranger on eBay in his tire kicking. If he wanted to make an offer, he was more than welcome to. The problem I imagine from his end, though, is that if he made an offer (rather than message me) and I accepted, he'd be on the hook to pay it.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Wasn't talking about you. I've made quite a few offers that are within $10-20 of the asking price and they have gotten rejected immediately, showing me they had the "auto decline" set basically at their asking price.

i know the ones you’re talking about. I’ve bid on $80 BIN listing and been automatically turned down at $70. Tried $75, then $77, $78, $79, nada. I didn’t try to see what decimal they’d landed on as their “auto accept” threshold, I moved along and paid slightly more to someone else, just because of the waste of my time.  I ask myself the same question you asked - why in the world have the option if you aren’t going to accept anything? Though, I do seek out listings that have an offer option, so maybe that is the answer.

I very much enjoy the offer feature on eBay, in spite of the fact that it’s a relatively anonymous and consequence-free way to kick tires. It makes negotiating so simple - you offer, I counter offer, we either meet somewhere or we don’t, and we move on. The only real downfall of the offer feature is when you counter someone’s offer and they don’t respond, you’re kind of handcuffed on editing your ad/ price until either they decline, or (more likely) don’t decline but rather just ignore the counter. Then you’re stuck having to wait like 48 hours to make changes to your listing.
Winter Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 ('17) 10.5° UST Elements Platinum
Fairway: SLDR 15° Fujikura Fuel 70
Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot Pro 18° Speeder HB 8.8
Driving Iron: Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi 4 iron Accra Fx 300H
Irons: Adams CB3 satin 5-pw Recoil 110 Prototype
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 raw 48°, 54°, 60° KBS 610 125
Putter: Tad Moore Pro 1S prototype
Putter: Scotty AOP Newport oil can
Putter: Piretti Potenza II black


WITB: http://www.golfwrx.c...sh17s-new-witb/

18

#79 llewol007

llewol007

    4KidsGolfer

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211323
  • Joined: 11/15/2012
  • Location:San Jose, Ca
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 858

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:40 PM

You tell them the lowest number you will take. It takes the whole thing of letting them low ball you, you being irritated, not responding at all, then finally sending them the lowest offer you will take. I have done it many a times and it quickly clears those who are serious buyers and those who dont have enough money to buy it and want something for cheap.
2017 M1 TI 10.5 Evolution II 661X<br />2016 M2 HL Evolution II 757X

19

#80 sdandrea

sdandrea

    Steve

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117468
  • Joined: 11/14/2010
  • Location:Fredericksburg, VA & Hernando FL
  • Handicap:11
  • Ebay ID:sdan6017
GolfWRX Likes : 1654

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:43 PM

"You'll find out by making an offer", or respond with "what's the most you'll pay?"

Edited by sdandrea, 10 October 2018 - 09:44 PM.

PING G SF Tech 10*
TM Superfast hybrid 24*
PING G400 7-UW
Maltby M Series + 54* & 58*
Scotty Fastback

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#81 Noyes26

Noyes26

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136297
  • Joined: 08/13/2011
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:Ball26
GolfWRX Likes : 433

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:00 AM

My favorite is when you list something for say $300 and get this 10 min after listing

Buyer - “hey will you take $285?”

Me - “Yes, you pay shipping.”

I try to list things as fair as possible and think I do a good job at that. I never really understand the point of an offer to say $10-$20. But it happens almost every time now. Is what it is. Not really sure when the BST turned into everything was obo but....     it’s always better then paying eBay.
PING G400 LST 10* Tensei Pro Orange
TI 16 Tmag M2 16.5 Tensei Pro White
Taylormade P790 3-PW KBS $-Taper
Vokey SM7 54, 60
Few CT's
WITB Link

21

#82 Graymulligan

Graymulligan

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 215421
  • Joined: 12/11/2012
  • Location:Sodus, NY
  • Handicap:8ish
GolfWRX Likes : 870

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:23 AM

View Post9ccat9, on 10 October 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

I just tell them a price that I am willing to let the item go for.  This is a potential buyer, guess I am not easily offended?

Sometimes it's better to sell the item than to be annoyed at the way someone goes about negotiating.  I'm with you on this one.
2017 M1 w/Matrix Radix
M1 2h w/Kuro Kage
RSI TP w/ S400
Bridgestone J40 52/56/60
Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert
(where did all this TM stuff come from?)

22

#83 radiman

radiman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,687 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Joined: 05/30/2008
  • Location:Moorhead, MN
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1151

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:35 AM

View PostGoIrish17, on 10 October 2018 - 09:13 PM, said:

View Postjli2636, on 10 October 2018 - 08:53 PM, said:

View PostGoIrish17, on 10 October 2018 - 07:38 PM, said:

View Postjli2636, on 10 October 2018 - 07:02 PM, said:

View PostGoIrish17, on 10 October 2018 - 01:11 PM, said:

OP here. I just wanted to clarify, the question that prompted this post was not a BST offer, but an offer on an item I had listed on eBay with a Buy-it-Now price and the Best Offer option. I probably should have specified my question, seeing as how everyone just assumed I was talking about BST (and rightly so). I have fielded my fair share of "what's the lowest you'll take?" here on BST, and while a little frustrating because they are trying to circumvent the negotiation process and just get me to "whip it out" (so to speak) and tell them what my rock bottom is, it's not offensive to me and I'll try to tactfully use it as a jumping off point in a negotiation. Because, the honest answer to the question of "what is the lowest you'll take?" is "the most someone is willing to pay", but I am also not looking to fleece any members here. I will always give members here the benefit of the doubt and never slam the door shut on an inquiry. Well, I might be a little shorter with the guys that have no posts, a recent join date, and no feedback... but we're all homies here as far as I'm concerned about the BST.

What made me post this was the fact that it was an eBay BIN sale with a best offer option. Clearly, it was someone kicking tires and not looking to place a committable offer via the option on my listing. When I sell here, I enjoy a little back-and-forth with a potential buyer. Allows me to "feel them out", so to speak. Now, when my item has made the rapid decent down the first page and disappears on to the older pages and I decide to move an item to eBay, I do it because I am done babysitting an ad. I am not looking to dicker back and forth via private message on eBay.

Basically, I was curious how others handle this situation in all aspects of selling, not just the unique world of the BST. I tried to keepo my answer as brief and impersonal as possible. "You're free to make an offer. I will consider any reasonable offer, but I am not desperate and not looking to give my putter away".

My problem with the best offer feature on EBay is that if you aren't going to accept anything less than what it's listed at why put it as an option?

Who said they wouldn't accept anything less than the listed price? I use the feature exactly the same as "OBO" here on BST. I have a number in my head I'd like to get for my item, but I'm not going to indulge some stranger on eBay in his tire kicking. If he wanted to make an offer, he was more than welcome to. The problem I imagine from his end, though, is that if he made an offer (rather than message me) and I accepted, he'd be on the hook to pay it.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Wasn't talking about you. I've made quite a few offers that are within $10-20 of the asking price and they have gotten rejected immediately, showing me they had the "auto decline" set basically at their asking price.

i know the ones you’re talking about. I’ve bid on $80 BIN listing and been automatically turned down at $70. Tried $75, then $77, $78, $79, nada. I didn’t try to see what decimal they’d landed on as their “auto accept” threshold, I moved along and paid slightly more to someone else, just because of the waste of my time.  I ask myself the same question you asked - why in the world have the option if you aren’t going to accept anything? Though, I do seek out listings that have an offer option, so maybe that is the answer.

I very much enjoy the offer feature on eBay, in spite of the fact that it’s a relatively anonymous and consequence-free way to kick tires. It makes negotiating so simple - you offer, I counter offer, we either meet somewhere or we don’t, and we move on. The only real downfall of the offer feature is when you counter someone’s offer and they don’t respond, you’re kind of handcuffed on editing your ad/ price until either they decline, or (more likely) don’t decline but rather just ignore the counter. Then you’re stuck having to wait like 48 hours to make changes to your listing.

I like it as well.  I am on the same page.  I am more apt to look at ads that have it as an option for whatever reason.  My biggest issue is as a buyer, you offer and they don't respond to it and it just expires.  I then am locked in until that point or they decline.  If a day goes by and I hear nothing back, I can't just go with another listing.  I am not talking about a lowball offer either.  If they feel it's too low, then just counter or reject it.  I make a point to respond to offers as soon as I can to avoid that situation for buyers.
Callaway Epic 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

23

#84 IHIeavensent

IHIeavensent

    Newbie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133569
  • Joined: 07/19/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:26 PM

A lot of great stuff here. Interesting debate and plausible reasoning for both sides. I think the psychology behind all of this is pretty fascinating. The seller can certainly do their market research... but still, the prices in the posts that we author ourselves are arbitrary (some more so than others). Oftentimes, I feel like the buyer just wants to feel like they "win" a little by knocking off a tiny fragment of the listed asking price. Baking in that "win" for the buyer who is inevitably going to offer some sort of lowball is something that I have experimented with as a seller.

That being said I can see how the seller who thinks they are listing everything for a "more than fair price" would be irritated, just like I can see how the seller who uses the listed price as a starting point for negotiations to be perfectly content. I tend to fall into the former category and often ignore ridiculous lowballs. When I get this question specifically, I want to send back "The prices that are listed aren't suggestions. That's what they cost," but I realize this isn't the best closing technique :)
Callaway XR 8* Fuji Fuel S
Callaway x2hot 3W aldila tour blue
Callaway x2hot 20* aldila tour green
Callaway Apex 4-PW S300
Callaway MD2 50, MD2 Tour 54, 60
Taylormade TM880 EST '79

24

#85 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 11,964 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 8205

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:51 PM

View PostIHIeavensent, on 11 October 2018 - 04:26 PM, said:

A lot of great stuff here. Interesting debate and plausible reasoning for both sides. I think the psychology behind all of this is pretty fascinating. The seller can certainly do their market research... but still, the prices in the posts that we author ourselves are arbitrary (some more so than others). Oftentimes, I feel like the buyer just wants to feel like they "win" a little by knocking off a tiny fragment of the listed asking price. Baking in that "win" for the buyer who is inevitably going to offer some sort of lowball is something that I have experimented with as a seller.

That being said I can see how the seller who thinks they are listing everything for a "more than fair price" would be irritated, just like I can see how the seller who uses the listed price as a starting point for negotiations to be perfectly content. I tend to fall into the former category and often ignore ridiculous lowballs. When I get this question specifically, I want to send back "The prices that are listed aren't suggestions. That's what they cost," but I realize this isn't the best closing technique :)

Good point. It is difficult to list items for a realistic and fair price. Because the BST has become a place where it is expected that people will offer less. Anymore I find it’s newer members who are more likely to pay the asking price. Not that there’s a lot of them, but still some. Then when someone does pay full price you start to wonder if you priced it too low!��

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

25

#86 cgbm

cgbm

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130319
  • Joined: 06/08/2011
  • Location:long island, ny
GolfWRX Likes : 230

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:02 PM

The BST is a sellers market for sure.

Over the past few years the BST has seen an increase in listing prices. And a decrease in “good deals” for the brotherhood it was before.

26

#87 kcsf

kcsf

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357935
  • Joined: 01/14/2015
  • Location:Santa Fe, NM
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 485

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:59 PM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 10 October 2018 - 08:19 PM, said:

View PostMrTmag, on 10 October 2018 - 08:02 PM, said:

I hate the back forth when buying stuff so I always ask what their bottom dollar is and if it’s a good number for me I buy it if not I move on. It’s better than than a 30 post back and forth argument over a couple of bucks.

Did you see the thread in DoND (locked right now for cleanup). 49 posts and multiple days to almost complete a purchase.

If it's taking 49 posts to make a purchase/sale, you're both doing it wrong. Weirdest thread I've seen in a long while.
G400 Green Mamba 60TX
Taylormade M2 Tour HL 3w Hzrdus Red 6.0
Ping i500 irons
Edel 50* & 56* wedges
TP Mills Nellie; O-Works #7s red

27

#88 casey_0507

casey_0507

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121944
  • Joined: 02/08/2011
  • Location:IN
GolfWRX Likes : 491

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:33 PM

Step 1 - cut a hole in a box
Step 2 - ....whoops wrong forum
Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6x
Cobra F7 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra King Baffler Aldila Tour Blue 85x
Cobra Amp Forged 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

28

#89 VNutz

VNutz

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116888
  • Joined: 10/31/2010
  • Location:Chicago Burbs
GolfWRX Likes : 3023

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:59 PM

View Postcgbm, on 11 October 2018 - 05:02 PM, said:

The BST is a sellers market for sure.

Over the past few years the BST has seen an increase in listing prices. And a decrease in “good deals” for the brotherhood it was before.

The past few years have also seen a decrease in the number of clubmakers on the market (less competition between brands), as well as an increase in retail prices, all while retail locations (and the sales prices and employee discounts) have diminished, as have trade in values as the remaining options leverage their market strength. All of the above make it more expensive for the first buyer and have raised the market in general; it’s not necessarily owners just wanting more money imo.

29

#90 GoIrish17

GoIrish17

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,956 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157931
  • Joined: 01/26/2012
  • Location:Cuyahoga Falls, OH
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:bschultz0170
GolfWRX Likes : 3774

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:59 PM

View Post4rheel, on 10 October 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

I find it hilarious that some of you that get irritated by that question have given low-ball offers yourselves.

This is an interesting post

Edited by GoIrish17, 11 October 2018 - 08:59 PM.

Winter Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 ('17) 10.5° UST Elements Platinum
Fairway: SLDR 15° Fujikura Fuel 70
Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot Pro 18° Speeder HB 8.8
Driving Iron: Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi 4 iron Accra Fx 300H
Irons: Adams CB3 satin 5-pw Recoil 110 Prototype
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 raw 48°, 54°, 60° KBS 610 125
Putter: Tad Moore Pro 1S prototype
Putter: Scotty AOP Newport oil can
Putter: Piretti Potenza II black


WITB: http://www.golfwrx.c...sh17s-new-witb/

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors