Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 1 votes

Tour Players playing Titleist AVX?

38 replies to this topic

#31 Break81

Break81

Broke80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 693

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:03 AM

View Postrstlne, on 11 October 2018 - 12:55 AM, said:

This is all speculation for this thread, but, I think if it were not up to the branding image, and maybe tour contracts, maybe a few tour pros would play the AVX?  The Pro V1 and V1X is still the premier premium tier ball and the most played on tour and I think that is what drives the sales number and what they need tour players to play.  I'm not a pro V1/X player but they probably want their tour staffers to stick with the top-tier ball to potentially influence sales and the prestige of their brand. I've tried a few sleeves of AVX and I think it is a good ball, for me, better than V1, maybe not V1X.  Not my gamer, but AVX fills a void in capturing those extra couple percentage points for market share purposes, i think.
2 things

The Japan Tour Prestige is the same ball as the AVX , are any international pros playing that ball ?

Second , there is no confirmation Titleist has captured more market share.  I still think their price point for the general public will keep them as a niche offering from a premier brand.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
   Cobra F7 - 5/6 set at 17*
  Ping 22 degree Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Callaway Forged 52 degree
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
  Chrome Soft Truvis / TF Gamer

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 Shilgy

Shilgy

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,502 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Handicap:3.1
GolfWRX Likes : 7105

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:16 PM

View PostBiggErn, on 11 October 2018 - 01:28 AM, said:

This is all speculation for this thread, but, I think if it were not up to the branding image, and maybe tour contracts, maybe a few tour pros would play the AVX?  The Pro V1 and V1X is still the premier premium tier ball and the most played on tour and I think that is what drives the sales number and what they need tour players to play.  I'm not a pro V1/X player but they probably want their tour staffers to stick with the top-tier ball to potentially influence sales and the prestige of their brand. I've tried a few sleeves of AVX and I think it is a good ball, for me, better than V1, maybe not V1X.  Not my gamer, but AVX fills a void in capturing those extra couple percentage points for market share purposes, i think.

The AVX costs the same as the V1 and x so why would Titleist frown on any pro playing it who wanted to play it? They wouldnít! The undeniable fact is it doesnít perform. Tour pros donít need to hit their 7 iron longer or have overall less spin.
Agreed. To add to that the Pro V1 and V1X have about all the "tour" status they need and very few avid golfers that currently play them are likely to switch.
But, if they could get a more people switching to Titleist and the AVX due to a tour player or two using it they would be all for it I would think.
TM M3 440 10* Graphite Design AD IZ 6x
TM M1 3w 14*  Graphite Design BB7s
TM M2  5w 18* Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8S or Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
Srixon Z765 5-AW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
Titleist Vokey 54*F  58*S
Toulon Garage Rochester flow neck H5/ Toulon Rochester stock

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

#33 GoGoErky

GoGoErky

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445702
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:13 PM

View PostBreak81, on 11 October 2018 - 08:03 AM, said:

2 things

The Japan Tour Prestige is the same ball as the AVX , are any international pros playing that ball ?

Second , there is no confirmation Titleist has captured more market share.  I still think their price point for the general public will keep them as a niche offering from a premier brand.

Yet their price point is only a few dollars more than the new chromesoft and TP5 balls which isnít that big of a separation these days.

#34 BiggErn

BiggErn

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479312
GolfWRX Likes : 886

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:16 PM

View PostShilgy, on 14 October 2018 - 07:16 PM, said:

View PostBiggErn, on 11 October 2018 - 01:28 AM, said:

The AVX costs the same as the V1 and x so why would Titleist frown on any pro playing it who wanted to play it? They wouldn’t! The undeniable fact is it doesn’t perform. Tour pros don’t need to hit their 7 iron longer or have overall less spin.
Agreed. To add to that the Pro V1 and V1X have about all the "tour" status they need and very few avid golfers that currently play them are likely to switch.
But, if they could get a more people switching to Titleist and the AVX due to a tour player or two using it they would be all for it I would think.

Not everyone needs tour caliber spin and could use a little extra distance. This ball would fit that bill as would a lot of other mid/high compression ball with a urethane cover.

#35 BiggErn

BiggErn

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:18 PM

View PostGoGoErky, on 14 October 2018 - 09:13 PM, said:

View PostBreak81, on 11 October 2018 - 08:03 AM, said:

2 things

Yet their price point is only a few dollars more than the new chromesoft and TP5 balls which isn’t that big of a separation these days.

I was disappointed when Callaway bumped up the price of the Chrome Soft but it’s still my main gamer I just use my Dicks coupons when I get them. I like the Project (a) a lot too and play it a good bit which is at a good price point for what it is.

#36 bladehunter

bladehunter

I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

• Advanced Members
  • 20,549 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 19033

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:31 AM

View PostWeston11, on 10 October 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

I don't think it's crazy to think a tour player would play the AVX.  Look at how successful the TP5X has been and one of the defining features of that ball is less spin off the mid to short irons while still retaining lots of spin on short shots.

To me the AVX spins less around the greens than a V1, but the differences isn't that substantial.  I can't imagine a ball like the B330 spins more than the AVX around the greens.
B330 and 330s spins loads more than avx.  Iíve played all 3 a lot.
Nike TW Oven Vapor Speed Aldila Synergy 70TX
TM 17 M1 Tour 14.5*  Graphite Design ADDI 8X
TM M3 Tour  19* Fuji Pro white 95X
Titliest 681 proto 3-pw Modus 130X
Vokey Tour raw 54 60 M Modus 130S
GSS 009 1.5  Beached Tungsten weights
Bidgestone RXS

#37 bladehunter

bladehunter

I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

• Advanced Members
  • 20,549 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 19033

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:34 AM

View Postnsxguy, on 10 October 2018 - 11:15 AM, said:

View Postbladehunter, on 10 October 2018 - 07:35 AM, said:

Plenty are playing the pro v1 version though.  The low spin ( left dot I think ).  Just has v1 dimples instead of avx .   That's why. They have a ball that's very very similar.  It isn't because none want spin reduction.  Remember. It doesn't just reduce spin with full shots. Taking spin off all around canbe a godsend for a high spin player.

Sorry ? The Prov1 "version" of the AVX. Did I miss that ?

As for the original premise, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the shorter hitters and/or high spin players move to the AVX. Then again, peer pressure can be tough. LOL

We just saying the left dot is very much same as avx in spin numbers.  And plenty of pros play the left dot version of prov1. So they do play a reduced spin ball.  Avx just has the Bridgestone style dimple pattern. ( I said style. Not an exact copy. But certainly a close copy to get them samd wind cheating properties Bridgestone has had for a while ).
Nike TW Oven Vapor Speed Aldila Synergy 70TX
TM 17 M1 Tour 14.5*  Graphite Design ADDI 8X
TM M3 Tour  19* Fuji Pro white 95X
Titliest 681 proto 3-pw Modus 130X
Vokey Tour raw 54 60 M Modus 130S
GSS 009 1.5  Beached Tungsten weights
Bidgestone RXS

#38 deepred

deepred

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121091
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 31 October 2018 - 02:37 AM

Donít know who plays what, but a year + ago I heard a couple of Titleist guys talking about a new version of the ProV that was created at the request of some of the tour players that flew lower and had less spin. The remark was ď we never thought less spin was a step forward but this is what the guys are requesting ď
Wilson Staff M3 4-GW
Cleveland Classic XL Driver
Wilson Fybrid 15*
KE4 5 wood
Maltby SW54, black
Snake Eyes SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ram Zebra deep face, black

#39 BiggErn

BiggErn

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2018 - 03:01 AM

View Postdeepred, on 31 October 2018 - 02:37 AM, said:

Don’t know who plays what, but a year + ago I heard a couple of Titleist guys talking about a new version of the ProV that was created at the request of some of the tour players that flew lower and had less spin. The remark was “ we never thought less spin was a step forward but this is what the guys are requesting “

Rest assured if it’s true it’s nothing like the AVX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors