Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

St Andrews trip - best places to eat and drink

st andrews

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Superbrit

Superbrit

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 505108
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 240

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:08 AM

Off on my 3rd trip to St Andrews next week, 1st time was only a brief overnight stay, didnt play, 2nd trip last year (2 nights) and played the Old Course (best golfing day of my life!) this time going for 3 nights, its me, the wife, my dad and his girlfriend, and was basically after some recommendations for eating and drinking at night.

Last year i stayed at the fairmont so had dinner at the hotel, but this year staying right in the centre, no driving needed (so plenty of drinking permitted) and as i've said i'm there for 3 nights this time.

I know about the Jigger inn which is essential for at least 1 drink, but anywhere people recommend, just needs to be walking distance from the centre, not too fussed on cost (it is my birthday after all)

Thanks in advance

Taylormade M2 9.5
Adams Tight lies 3W 16*
Adams Proto DHY 21*
Bridgestone J15CB 4 - PW (raw/oil dipped)
Taylormade Hi Toe 50/56/60
Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser (Copper)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 AcmeGolf

AcmeGolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168347
  • Handicap:5.5
  • Ebay ID:Teamtimp
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:59 AM

View PostSuperbrit, on 08 October 2018 - 05:08 AM, said:

Off on my 3rd trip to St Andrews next week, 1st time was only a brief overnight stay, didnt play, 2nd trip last year (2 nights) and played the Old Course (best golfing day of my life!) this time going for 3 nights, its me, the wife, my dad and his girlfriend, and was basically after some recommendations for eating and drinking at night.

Last year i stayed at the fairmont so had dinner at the hotel, but this year staying right in the centre, no driving needed (so plenty of drinking permitted) and as i've said i'm there for 3 nights this time.

I know about the Jigger inn which is essential for at least 1 drink, but anywhere people recommend, just needs to be walking distance from the centre, not too fussed on cost (it is my birthday after all)

Thanks in advance
The Dunvegan...right up the street from The Old Course. Good food and atmosphere.
Ping G400 LST 10°
Ping G400 3W
Ping G400 17° & 22°
PXG 0311P 5-GW
Mizuno S18 56° & 60°
SC Newport 3

#3 davep043

davep043

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1541

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:18 AM

I liked the Whey Pat and the Cross Keys.  The Jigger and the Dunvegan are both very popular with visiting golfers, and are lovely, but if you want to be among Scots, you have to walk a little further.  The Whey Pat is on Bridge Street, just outside the old city gate on South Street.  The Keys is on Market Street, just west of the market square.

We had some very nice meals at the Russell Hotel.  For Indian food, try Jahangir, in South Street.  I've read lots of raves about Little Italy, not been there myself.  The Seafood Restaurant, close to the R&A clubhouse, was great when I was there a few years ago, but I believe it has changed hands.  Last, for a wee bite to take to the course with you (most don't have any "halfway house") get "Probably the best bacon roll in the world" at Munch, just inside the old city gate on South Street.

#4 az2au

az2au

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185434
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 704

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:18 AM

Ziggy’s is surprisingly good and only a couple of blocks from the Dunvegan. It was suggested by the bartender at the Dunvegan earlier this year and we liked it a lot for a change of pace from pub food. I’ve been to St Andrews several times and it was my first time there but I’ll be trying it again next time.

#5 jwellefson1

jwellefson1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 468356
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:19 AM

There's a pizza place called Mozza that's really good. Definitely recommend it.

Haikus are funny
But they don't always make sense
Refrigerator

#6 Superbrit

Superbrit

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:26 AM

View Postdavep043, on 08 October 2018 - 07:18 AM, said:

I liked the Whey Pat and the Cross Keys.  The Jigger and the Dunvegan are both very popular with visiting golfers, and are lovely, but if you want to be among Scots, you have to walk a little further.  The Whey Pat is on Bridge Street, just outside the old city gate on South Street.  The Keys is on Market Street, just west of the market square.

We had some very nice meals at the Russell Hotel.  For Indian food, try Jahangir, in South Street.  I've read lots of raves about Little Italy, not been there myself.  The Seafood Restaurant, close to the R&A clubhouse, was great when I was there a few years ago, but I believe it has changed hands.  Last, for a wee bite to take to the course with you (most don't have any "halfway house") get "Probably the best bacon roll in the world" at Munch, just inside the old city gate on South Street.

Something a bit out of the ordinary and a bit off the beaten track definitely appeals

Thanks
Taylormade M2 9.5
Adams Tight lies 3W 16*
Adams Proto DHY 21*

#7 Superbrit

Superbrit

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:31 AM

View Postaz2au, on 08 October 2018 - 07:18 AM, said:

Ziggy’s is surprisingly good and only a couple of blocks from the Dunvegan. It was suggested by the bartender at the Dunvegan earlier this year and we liked it a lot for a change of pace from pub food. I’ve been to St Andrews several times and it was my first time there but I’ll be trying it again next time.

Just googled this, definitely looks a little different, easily (drunken) walk able to my hotel as well
Taylormade M2 9.5
Adams Tight lies 3W 16*
Adams Proto DHY 21*

#8 davep043

davep043

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1541

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:33 AM

View PostSuperbrit, on 08 October 2018 - 07:31 AM, said:

Just googled this, definitely looks a little different, easily (drunken) walk able to my hotel as well
Where are you staying?  I stayed in the Murray Park area, and none of the places were too far for a drunken stumble.

#9 Superbrit

Superbrit

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:46 AM

View Postdavep043, on 08 October 2018 - 07:33 AM, said:

View PostSuperbrit, on 08 October 2018 - 07:31 AM, said:

Where are you staying?  I stayed in the Murray Park area, and none of the places were too far for a drunken stumble.

Staying at the premier inn this time, stayed at the fairmont last time, but you have to drive in to the centre, first time we stayed at the Rusacks, which was nice, but 3 nights for 4 of us it was a bit pricey considering how much golf we are also planning on playing, Premier Inn's are usually quite good considering how much they are
Taylormade M2 9.5
Adams Tight lies 3W 16*
Adams Proto DHY 21*

#10 knickerbocker

knickerbocker

Pipe Dreamer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118635
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 447

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:43 AM

I second the Whey Pat.  Make sure to try the Haggis Nachos.  Delicious!

Best Fish and Chips in town is Cromars at the end of Market Street

If you like craft beer, the St. Andrews Brewing Company is a must stop.

Sports bar and lots of locals (especially caddies), check out The Blue Stane

9* G LST w/ Aldila Rogue Silver i/o 60
14* Callaway XR Pro w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70
20* Callaway XR Pro Hybrid
Taylormade p790 4 - PW with Modus Tour 120
Ping Tour 52* and 58*
Putter: GOLO3
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Superbrit

Superbrit

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:51 AM

View Postknickerbocker, on 08 October 2018 - 08:43 AM, said:

I second the Whey Pat.  Make sure to try the Haggis Nachos.  Delicious!

Best Fish and Chips in town is Cromars at the end of Market Street

If you like craft beer, the St. Andrews Brewing Company is a must stop.

Sports bar and lots of locals (especially caddies), check out The Blue Stane

It seems like the Whey pat is going to be on the list, and its only a 10 min walk from the hotel

and i love proper haggis!
Taylormade M2 9.5
Adams Tight lies 3W 16*
Adams Proto DHY 21*

#12 foozledbaffy

foozledbaffy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21896
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:47 AM

Great stuff here.  I didn't know St. Andrews had anything other than the world's best pub, The Dunvegan.

#13 tad950

tad950

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 510780
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:11 PM

Probably not what you are looking for, but Jannettas Gelateria is very good.

And another vote for Cromars fish and chips. If the restaurant is full, they also have a take out counter.

The restaurant at the clubhouse is pretty good. Great views of the Old Course.

#14 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 3,291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Handicap:6.1

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:21 AM

Copied from my post back in August:

=====================

Guess this is as good a place to start as any.

So food/bar wise we ended up hitting some really good spots - some more than once. Depends on what you like really. There are apparently a couple of nightclub/late night type places - cant comment on those good or bad. But it depends on whether you're looking for sort of more popular, crowded, touristy spots or more locals type places.

And if there's one thing a list like this shows its just how much you can miss if you blow through St Andrews in a day or two.

Dunvegan - went once because we felt like we had to. Made a reservation for dinner through the hotel but ended up sitting in the bar area anyway. Food was decent. I dont know, if we hadnt gone I wouldnt have felt like we missed anything. IMO its a bit overrated - at least compared to some other options. Our cab driver told us the Dunvegan nickname is the "American embassy". But so many people were saying "Oh you have to go to the Dunvegan, you have to". OK, I went. Yeah, there are a ton of pictures hung up on the wall. And oh how quaint, a trough in the mens room instead of urinals. On any return trips though, it wont be on the list.

If you are only there for one night, I wouldn't go.

Jigger - worth going if you can sit outside and watch people play up 17. Absolutely beautiful spot in the late afternoon/early evening with the view of the city. BTW "early evening" at this time of year is around 9pm LOL. If we had been just sitting inside, I'm not sure I would have gone. Another place people say you have to go to, so we went. Would go back if we could sit outside.

The Keys - Probably my favorite place of the whole trip. Small place, very much a locals and caddie hangout. Primarily a whisky spot but a good amount of beer too. Never ate here, honestly not sure I saw anyone eating there. But we watched the first half of the Man U game there on Friday night and it was so much fun. Just a great crowd. Again its small, couldn't go there with a big group and expect to get in let alone get seats. Went three different nights.

Whey Pat - Another local place although a little bigger. Couple of blocks off the main drag/s but certainly not far enough away that you would need a cab. Quiet spot, great service. Probably an easier place to go with a group because there is a lot more room to spread out.

Criterion - Were told it was a sports bar but when we went the tvs were all off and they werent showing any games at all. Nonetheless really good bartenders and the locals that were there said the food was good.

Foodwise we really liked Forgans and Tailend. Tailend is a chip shop up front - or some type of to-go operation - and then a restaurant in the back. A+ food, great service. Same with Forgans. Cool interior space with the entrance down an alley, excellent drink menu, really good bartender.

We ate in the Fairmont clubhouse one day for lunch. Beautiful spot, hard to beat the views. Ate a couple meals in the Links Clubhouse too. Again, good food, OK service. But its very convenient if you are playing the New/Jubilee or waiting out an Old Course slot.

We wanted to get to the Steak Barn but they dont take reservations. Also missed out on the St Andrews Waffle Company which we heard was very good.

If I only had one night out in town, I would eat dinner at the Tailend (make a reservation if you can although we didnt have one) and then hit The Keys for drinks.
M3 9.5 - AD-DI6x Black
M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
Cobra F8 One Length 5-GW - Steelfiber 110s
TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
Toulon Indy 35" / TM TP5

#15 scott_Donald

scott_Donald

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104074
GolfWRX Likes : 400

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:52 AM

Everyone always recommends me to go to Forgans

http://www.forgans.co.uk/st-andrews/

Had a good meal there first night of a stag do in May, second night a distinctly average meal in the St Andrews Brewing co.

Taylormade M3 8.5* Tensei Orange 70TX
Taylormade M2 Tour 14* Speeder TS 8.2X

Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9  C taper X

Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X

Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400

Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

#16 JNewsted

JNewsted

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7199
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:58 PM

Cromars
Cromars
Cromars

#17 clp34vmp

clp34vmp

Sonja Henie Is Out

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85237
  • Handicap:7.7
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:47 AM

There this past August - we thought Forgan's was excellent. Playfair's was also nice. Blackthorn, the burger place, is pefect for a quick lunch. Criterion definitely gets a more local and less "golfy" crowd and is very cool. Mozza was a last minute dinner selection for us one night and was pretty solid for another casual option.

#18 fredstar

fredstar

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1814
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 327

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:11 PM

Tailend for take out fish n chips or their sit down restaurant with all types of seafood. Along with Forgans, these were my two spots.
Nike Zoom Precision
Adidas Tour360 2.0
Nike TW13
Nike Lunar Control 4
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid

Callaway Rogue Driver
Callaway Rogue SZ 3 wood
Srixon u45 20*, 23*
Ping i200 Irons
Ping Glide 50, 54, 58
Odyssey RSX Milled Fang

#19 postfold

postfold

oh how I LOVE putting

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29687
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:00 PM

We found Little Italy to be quite good.  It was booked the first time we tried, went back a day or two later.

#20 dg_1983

dg_1983

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67526
  • Handicap:0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 489

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:12 PM

Go to Forgans for brunch/lunch or dinner. I'd book for dinner, lovely treat for the family.

This is also very nice.

http://dollshousestandrews.co.uk/food/

To be honest - St Andrews is such a lovely place, with alot of money flowing though it, it is hard to go wrong. I think it is too upmarket to have any "tourist traps"

The peat inn is special - though i bit outside of st Andrews

https://www.thepeatinn.co.uk/

Enjoy the trip bro - I hope the weather clears - it has been a little rainy and windy of late.

The Steak Barn is AWESOME but used to be seasonal - double check when you arrive but if you can go it is real good.

https://www.balgove....ages/steak-barn

Pubs and pub grub you really can't go wrong anywhere, there are so many eatery's to duff ones are closed quickly!

Edited by dg_1983, 12 October 2018 - 02:15 PM.

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Superbrit

Superbrit

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:42 PM

dg_1983, on 12 October 2018 - 02:12 PM, said:

Go to Forgans for brunch/lunch or dinner. I'd book for dinner, lovely treat for the family.

This is also very nice.

http://dollshousestandrews.co.uk/food/

To be honest - St Andrews is such a lovely place, with alot of money flowing though it, it is hard to go wrong. I think it is too upmarket to have any "tourist traps"

The peat inn is special - though i bit outside of st Andrews

https://www.thepeatinn.co.uk/

Enjoy the trip bro - I hope the weather clears - it has been a little rainy and windy of late.

The Steak Barn is AWESOME but used to be seasonal - double check when you arrive but if you can go it is real good.

https://www.balgove....ages/steak-barn

Pubs and pub grub you really can't go wrong anywhere, there are so many eatery's to duff ones are closed quickly!

I've been checking the weather forecast daily and from Tuesday it doesn't look to bad, been to Scotland 4 times in the past 2 years (my favourite place in the uk) and I've never had bad weather, just lucky I guess, got sunburnt one 1 trip!
Taylormade M2 9.5
Adams Tight lies 3W 16*
Adams Proto DHY 21*

#22 Gem

Gem

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19868
GolfWRX Likes : 324

Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:24 PM

I'm up in St Andrews for a short family break at the moment (no golfing) and just been for a meal in the Thai street food restaurant, Tanon. This is probably the best tasting Thai food I've ever eaten.

Been to the usual ones also, Tail-end for a sit in and Cromars for a takeaway and both were great as usual.

I'd happily eat in the Thai restaurant every day though and just have something different each time, it was that good.
TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 2 58 KBS 610 S+

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

#23 monkutare

monkutare

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46489
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:59 AM

Balgove Larder

Little Italy

Maisha (Indian)

New Course ( clubhouse pub )

Eden Course (clubhouse pub)

Dunvegan

Pizza Express

Dr Noodles (fast food takeaway)

All decent not too expensive

#24 Santiago Golf

Santiago Golf

I Strive to make you Better

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151005
  • Handicap:???
GolfWRX Likes : 1828

Posted Yesterday, 07:50 AM

fredstar, on 11 October 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

Tailend for take out fish n chips or their sit down restaurant with all types of seafood. Along with Forgans, these were my two spots.

THIS! Tailend is the bomb. Was in st. Andrews for 12 days and went 3 times

The Jigger is very cool
Ziggys was a blast, great food
Rascals has best milkshake in town

Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)
Hybrid: Adams IDEA Super XTD 17*; UST Mamiya Proforce VTS 100HX (240, can 260+ if needed)
Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 2 iron; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 85X
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
   4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 205) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (190, 180, 170) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (160, 145, 130)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (110): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)

#25 Santiago Golf

Santiago Golf

I Strive to make you Better

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151005
  • Handicap:???
GolfWRX Likes : 1828

Posted Yesterday, 07:51 AM

monkutare, on 14 October 2018 - 12:59 AM, said:

Balgove Larder

Little Italy

Maisha (Indian)

New Course ( clubhouse pub )

Eden Course (clubhouse pub)

Dunvegan

Pizza Express

Dr Noodles (fast food takeaway)

All decent not too expensive

Dr. Noodles was extreme good, Pizza Express i thought wasnt that great but i guess i cant expect much at 2am

Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)
Hybrid: Adams IDEA Super XTD 17*; UST Mamiya Proforce VTS 100HX (240, can 260+ if needed)
Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 2 iron; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 85X
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
   4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 205) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (190, 180, 170) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (160, 145, 130)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (110): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)

Also tagged with st andrews

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

cradd10

GolfWRX Sponsors