Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Centre shaft Scotty Cameron X5?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MG 1977

MG 1977

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42445
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:53 AM

I'm thinking of sending my X5 off to PJ putters to be converted to centre shaft. Has anybody had this done and if so how does it play?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 GimmieHendrix

GimmieHendrix

All Things Putting

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 513894
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:15 AM

I've read that for right handed putters with left dominant eye this can help, I'm guessing it has to do with minimizing line distortion due to optical angle, i.e. by bringing the shaft closer to the line you "see less bend" than you do if the shaft deviates from the line. Makes sense if you think about it. A CS on line is just "a line", whereas standard shaft being a bit off line forms a triangle relative to your baseline and the cup instead of just a line.

Be sure to test it on lag putts, a lot of people test putters from 15 and in but lag putts will really tell the tale. I like CS but at times I feel like I've had to energize the stroke too much on lag putts to get distance as opposed to being able to bank on the swing weight. But then again, I've never done a conversion. :)

#3 VNutz

VNutz

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116888
GolfWRX Likes : 2950

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:26 AM

I've not done it, but I can't help but wonder why not try a 5s that's already center shafted? I don't know how much it costs to send off and convert to center shafted but I'd have to imagine the prices are somewhat comparable. Or find a cheaper used GoLo S and see how that plays before doing something drastic. My fear with doing something like that is once you've done it you'll likely never recoup what you paid if you don't like it, the other putters you try you can sell and recoup some if not all of what you paid. Just my .02.

#4 GimmieHendrix

GimmieHendrix

All Things Putting

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:16 PM

VNutz, on 08 October 2018 - 10:26 AM, said:

I've not done it, but I can't help but wonder why not try a 5s that's already center shafted? I don't know how much it costs to send off and convert to center shafted but I'd have to imagine the prices are somewhat comparable. Or find a cheaper used GoLo S and see how that plays before doing something drastic. My fear with doing something like that is once you've done it you'll likely never recoup what you paid if you don't like it, the other putters you try you can sell and recoup some if not all of what you paid. Just my .02.

I've never heard of anyone recouping what they've paid for a Scotty. I never have, they are hard as hell to resell at face value unless you're willing to take low offers in my experience. Cheaper clubs move fast but Scottys seem to languish online. I currently have a Future online for 66% of it's value and no bites all month.

Edited by GimmieHendrix, 08 October 2018 - 01:18 PM.

#5 VNutz

VNutz

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,267 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:36 PM

GimmieHendrix, on 08 October 2018 - 01:16 PM, said:

I've never heard of anyone recouping what they've paid for a Scotty. I never have, they are hard as hell to resell at face value unless you're willing to take low offers in my experience. Cheaper clubs move fast but Scottys seem to languish online. I currently have a Future online for 66% of it's value and no bites all month.

If you're buying new you'll never recoup your costs on pretty much anything golf related. With used Scottys though, they tend to hold values better than other sticks, hence the reference to older putters.

#6 icec0ld

icec0ld

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2971
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:41 PM

I'm sure it is FAR cheaper to sell the x5 and buy a new futura 5s than it is to convert it to a centershaft.

#7 GimmieHendrix

GimmieHendrix

All Things Putting

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:56 PM

VNutz, on 08 October 2018 - 01:36 PM, said:

GimmieHendrix, on 08 October 2018 - 01:16 PM, said:

If you're buying new you'll never recoup your costs on pretty much anything golf related. With used Scottys though, they tend to hold values better than other sticks, hence the reference to older putters.

This isn't my current experience. Up here there is a glut of Scotty, they just sit online without replies. Other brands move faster, i.e. I buy/sell a tiny bit and for example I don't like 2-ball putters much but they always seem to sell same day. It's quite challenging to resell a Scotty for fair price in my market, YMMV. :)

#8 MG 1977

MG 1977

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42445
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:08 AM

icec0ld, on 08 October 2018 - 01:41 PM, said:

I'm sure it is FAR cheaper to sell the x5 and buy a new futura 5s than it is to convert it to a centershaft.

I'm not keen on the wrap around sole/face insert on the Futura 5s. It costs 45 to reconfigure the shaft to centre shaft so it's not that expensive... plus I got my x5 for a bargain price.

#9 VNutz

VNutz

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,267 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:02 AM

MG 1977, on 09 October 2018 - 02:08 AM, said:

icec0ld, on 08 October 2018 - 01:41 PM, said:

I'm not keen on the wrap around sole/face insert on the Futura 5s. It costs £45 to reconfigure the shaft to centre shaft so it's not that expensive... plus I got my x5 for a bargain price.

Wow, that's an incredible price. If you want to then go for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors