Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Lakewood New Orleans, Consider elsewhere

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bar_Stroll

Bar_Stroll

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500722
  • Handicap:8.8
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 07 October 2018 - 03:45 PM

I came on here last weekend looking for courses around the New Orleans area. One of the threads had Lakewood as a recommendation.

I called to make a tee time early Saturday for late that afternoon. The person who answered said they were not particularly busy and to come any time around 2 and I'd be fine. I asked about rental clubs and he said he could do $40. I called an uber.

I showed up and it was pretty much a ghost town. I was hoping to jump on with some locals or anyone to be honest. I like playing golf with new people. I took 2 sleeves of balls with me in case I played golf so that was covered. I said I guess I need tee's (my home course they give you tee's free) so he pointed me to these zero friction plastic tees in fancy packaging, they were $7. Whatever, I have to tee the ball up. After I paid he took me into the rental club room. I told him I use extra stiff but figured they wouldn't have that so stiff would work. In this room were 15 bags of some of the worst cared for clubs I've ever seen. Not a single wood had a cover. It took him about 10 minutes to piece me together a bag that has half stiff shaft irons and half regular. I got 4-P in Nike vapors that were beat to death. Nike vapor driver and 3w. A single Maxfli wedge, 56* with the shaft rusted so bad about 50% of the chrome plating was gone. And a off brand putter that when I got to the first green realized the neck was bent pretty badly.

Somewhere in the midst I said this is all you have? He said we do have some new Titleist bags but they are $60. I just grabbed the hodgepodge back and kept going.

I get to the starter on my way out and he giggles and said "so you're going to brave it?" I said well I didn't know I was until you said that. Whats the matter? He says "oh, you'll have fun. Its just been raining for 6 days straight." I said oh thats great. Am I alone or can I play with someone? "Nope, just you. Only a couple people out there." I asked if I could hit some range balls. "Sorry sir, the range is close." They put my bag in the cart and I notice there are tee's in the cart. The guy let me buy them knowing there were free tees.

I was never told the course was wet, I was never told the range was closed. I get in the cart and he tells me cart path only. I paid for tees I didn't need. I have terrible clubs.

The course was nothing special but overall ok. Some of the tee boxes had weeds and there were at least 2 bunkers that had not been maintained in a year at least. They were fairway bunkers half covered in grass and weeds, maybe they were planning on removing them? IDK. The course was soaked. I lost 3 balls during the round, 2 in the fairway from driver that plugged and I couldn't find in the puddles, mush.

Any one of the things above would not be enough to bother me. But all totaled up at the same time and I was pretty pissed playing the round after paying $130. These people just didn't seem to care much about anything. And definitely weren't in any rush to tell me over the phone the condition of the course before I paid $20 to get there.

Taylormade M4 9.5* - Aldila Rogue Elite Green 995 65X
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3+ - Fujikura Atmos TS Red 8X
Titleist 818 H2 19* Hybrid - Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X
Callaway Rogue Pro 4-PW - KBS C-Taper 130X
Callaway MD4 50.10S C-Taper 130X
Callaway MD4, 54.10S and 58.08C - KBS 610
Bobby Grace "Night and Day"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Naptime

Naptime

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 504866
GolfWRX Likes : 424

Posted 07 October 2018 - 04:22 PM

Not sure why you wouldn't have known it had rained just by checking the weather. I have never played a course with free tees.

#3 az2au

az2au

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185434
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 705

Posted 07 October 2018 - 04:25 PM

View PostNaptime, on 07 October 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

I have never played a course with free tees.
Really?  I can't recall the last time I played one that didn't have free tees.  Seriously.  

Overall, that sounds fairly typical for New Orleans.  It is a terrible place to play golf.

#4 Bar_Stroll

Bar_Stroll

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:46 PM

View PostNaptime, on 07 October 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

Not sure why you wouldn't have known it had rained just by checking the weather. I have never played a course with free tees.

Go check the weather forecast real quick it won’t show you past rain. I packed a few sleeves of balls the night before in case I had time after my flight to play. I traveled for business. This happened quick. If your course normally has a range, isn’t flooded, isn’t normally cart path only and someone calls and starts with “I’m from out of town” you should tell them. Free tees are not the issue. You’re missing the point.

Edited by Bar_Stroll, 07 October 2018 - 08:50 PM.

#5 robdalky

robdalky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366981
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:00 PM

az2au said:

Overall, that sounds fairly typical for New Orleans.  It is a terrible place to play golf.
Definitely not a golf town

Callaway EPIC 9.5 Aldila Rogue Max 75X
TM SLDR S 17* Fujikura F3 90
Callaway XR Hot Pro 20* Accra Dymatch MT-H 85
PING i25 4-PW KS Tour 120
Titlest SM6 50F-54S-58K, X100
Odyssey O-Works #7S
Titleist ProV1

#6 dbdors

dbdors

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139771
  • Handicap:18
  • Ebay ID:dbdors
GolfWRX Likes : 331

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:28 PM

View Postrobdalky, on 07 October 2018 - 10:00 PM, said:

az2au said:

Definitely not a golf town
Interesting, I was hoping to go play Audubon park or Bayou Oaks (old City Park) some day.  I used to live there a for 3 years.  Didn't play golf then, but would fish the ponds at City park.

Woods: Ping G30 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 60 Tour S, TEE CB4 4W (16.5) Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S
Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (20d), 4H (22d), Project X 85 6.0, Kuro Kage Silver Hybrid 85S
Irons: TM 2017 M2, 5-PW, KBS Tour 105 stiff
Wedges: Mizuno T7 Blue Ion, 50.07, 54.12, 58.12, KBS 610 Wedge, Stiff
Putters: SC Cameron & Crown, 33", SS Counter Core Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft/Srixon Zstar, Titleist AVX all in yellow
Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/Clicgear 3.5+
Accesories: Garmin G8/Bushnell Tour V4

#7 bigeasygator

bigeasygator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497350
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:jason.sheridan1979
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:52 AM

Living here, I wouldn't call NOLA a golf town either.  That said, if anyone is sending you somewhere other than TPC Louisiana, Bayou Oaks (South), English Turn, or Audubon then you very well may get the treatment you just described.  I wouldn't send anyone anywhere other than the four courses I just mentioned.  Those courses are far and above the best in this area in terms of layout, upkeep, amenities, and customer service and while it's not a golf town, those four are more than adequate and I'd put them above many courses I've played in my life in so-called golf towns.
Lefthanded
Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5° w/ GD Tour AD-DI 6-SR
3-wood: Taylor Made M3 15° w/ GD Tour AD-IZ 6-S
3h, 4h, 5h: Callaway Steelhead XR w/ UST Recoil 780 ES F4
5i-AW: Callaway Apex CF-16 w/ UST Recoil 780 ES F4
Wedges: Titleist BV SM5 54/10/S and 58/08/M
Putter: Scotty Cameron 009-M SSS 34" 350g

#8 dbdors

dbdors

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139771
  • Handicap:18
  • Ebay ID:dbdors
GolfWRX Likes : 331

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:39 AM

View Postbigeasygator, on 08 October 2018 - 07:52 AM, said:

.......Bayou Oaks (South), English Turn, or Audubon........ Those courses are far and above the best in this area in terms of layout, upkeep, amenities, and customer service.......

Thanks for that info very helpful.  As I mentioned I was planning on Bayou Oaks or Audubon.  Good to know that South is better.  I just read that it was remodeled in 2018.  Missed that before.

Edited by dbdors, 08 October 2018 - 09:39 AM.

Woods: Ping G30 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 60 Tour S, TEE CB4 4W (16.5) Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S
Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (20d), 4H (22d), Project X 85 6.0, Kuro Kage Silver Hybrid 85S
Irons: TM 2017 M2, 5-PW, KBS Tour 105 stiff
Wedges: Mizuno T7 Blue Ion, 50.07, 54.12, 58.12, KBS 610 Wedge, Stiff
Putters: SC Cameron & Crown, 33", SS Counter Core Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft/Srixon Zstar, Titleist AVX all in yellow
Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/Clicgear 3.5+
Accesories: Garmin G8/Bushnell Tour V4

#9 Bar_Stroll

Bar_Stroll

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:34 AM

I don't know why I picked that course as some of the ones mentioned above were also recommended but I just did. I don't think you need to live in golf town to get treated with some professionalism. I'm not a member at my one local course although I'm there very often and I call the landline and they don't know who I am in or around inclement weather and when asking for tee time availability they have told me numerous times the course is damp, there is puddling, cart path only, etc. to let me decide if paying for a round is worth the cost. That is all I expect.

#10 bigeasygator

bigeasygator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497350
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:jason.sheridan1979
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:58 AM

View Postdbdors, on 08 October 2018 - 09:39 AM, said:

.......Bayou Oaks (South), English Turn, or Audubon........ Those courses are far and above the best in this area in terms of layout, upkeep, amenities, and customer service.......

Thanks for that info very helpful.  As I mentioned I was planning on Bayou Oaks or Audubon.  Good to know that South is better.  I just read that it was remodeled in 2018.  Missed that before.

Yeah, don't play the North (not if you're looking for anything decent anyway).  There's a reason it costs about $15 to play!  The South course renovation opened in early 2017 (Rees Jones) and the North and the South course aren't even close to being similar in terms of quality, layout, etc.  TPC (Dye) and English Turn (Niklaus), personally, are my two favorite tracks in town followed by the South course at Bayou Oaks.  

View PostBar_Stroll, on 08 October 2018 - 11:34 AM, said:

I don't know why I picked that course as some of the ones mentioned above were also recommended but I just did. I don't think you need to live in golf town to get treated with some professionalism. I'm not a member at my one local course although I'm there very often and I call the landline and they don't know who I am in or around inclement weather and when asking for tee time availability they have told me numerous times the course is damp, there is puddling, cart path only, etc. to let me decide if paying for a round is worth the cost. That is all I expect.

I hear ya.  I'm not excusing it or condoning it.  Just saying there's a reason I don't play Lakewood with any kind of regularity and it has to do with a lot of what you described - a bit in disrepair, underwhelming facilities, a general feeling that it isn't a very tightly run ship, etc.  I'm not surprised to hear it was a ghost town.  If you were hoping to play with someone, I think Audubon would have been your best bet as it gets the most play.  TPC and English Turn are top notch as far as amenities and facilities and you won't get anything but a solid rental set.

Lefthanded
Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5° w/ GD Tour AD-DI 6-SR
3-wood: Taylor Made M3 15° w/ GD Tour AD-IZ 6-S
3h, 4h, 5h: Callaway Steelhead XR w/ UST Recoil 780 ES F4
5i-AW: Callaway Apex CF-16 w/ UST Recoil 780 ES F4
Wedges: Titleist BV SM5 54/10/S and 58/08/M
Putter: Scotty Cameron 009-M SSS 34" 350g

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 bazinky

bazinky

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33287
GolfWRX Likes : 709

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:03 PM

Living here, I wouldn't call NOLA a golf town either.  That said, if anyone is sending you somewhere other than TPC Louisiana, Bayou Oaks (South), English Turn, or Audubon then you very well may get the treatment you just described.  I wouldn't send anyone anywhere other than the four courses I just mentioned.  Those courses are far and above the best in this area in terms of layout, upkeep, amenities, and customer service and while it's not a golf town, those four are more than adequate and I'd put them above many courses I've played in my life in so-called golf towns.

I REALLY need to make it back down to NOLA one day and see the redesigns of Audubon and Bayou Oaks. Back in grad school (many moons ago), I spent a TON of time at Audubon and the old City Park courses. Audubon was a goat ranch at the time, but I lived close and I could play all the golf I could walk for only 40 bucks a month. Perfect for a poor grad student, and some of my best golf memories were there ...
Cobra LTD @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
Ping i20 5-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"

#12 Schoolboy

Schoolboy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 375966
  • Handicap:9.9
  • Ebay ID:schoolboy84
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:38 PM

TPC Louisiana is a really nice track with really great customer service. First class all the way around.

#13 LeoLeo99

LeoLeo99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326383
GolfWRX Likes : 2077

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:27 AM

I carry a small bag with a dozen balls, tees, ball mark repair tool, and a couple quarters whenever I travel and might golf.  

All the times I've rented clubs, they were OEM supplied.  Every club and the bag were from the same OEM.  Sometimes they throw in a sleeve or two of a balls and a few tees and sometimes you're on your own for the balls and tees.  

I keep my expectations low for rentals.  Cosmetic imperfections don't affect play.  Don't worry about them.

#14 gr00vetech

gr00vetech

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118989
  • Handicap:1.9
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted Yesterday, 09:20 PM

New Orleans is definitely not a golf town. Quite shocking the a PGA Tour event even comes here. Sucks to hear about your experience so hopefully you got to enjoy some of the other things this town has to offer. I think audubon is the best executive course i've ever played. Hit every club in the bag and the setting in the park is awesome. Most of the time its in good shape for what it is as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors