Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

If "The difference between a Tour pro and a scratch is 15 strokes" then....

Tour Tour vs. Scratch How good is a scratch Joes vs Pros

121 replies to this topic

#121 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 5168

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:34 PM

View Postjustwellsy, on 11 January 2019 - 03:18 PM, said:

I think the biggest factor here is green speed. Most scratch amateurs have never played a round with the green speeds at "tour event" level. If the scratch amateur was allowed to consistently play with those green speeds and get used to them, I think the gap would close. But if we are talking about a normal match at a tour level green speed course, then it may be close to 15 strokes difference. Now if we're talking about playing a course with greens that run about a 9 on the stimp, I'd give the edge to the scratch as far as it being less than a 15 stroke difference. Pros struggle pretty good when they suddenly switch to slower green speeds if they are not given time to adjust

This used to be the case, but for the last 10 years or so Tour green speeds arenít rare in the club golf realm. Iím excluding extreme set ups at Augusta and US Open, but run of the mill tour events arenít faster than you see in a state am or open in most cases. It isnít rare to see TPC Scottsdale at Tour speeds, same for Pebble, Riviera, John Deere, River Highlands, etc.  Unless the weather gets out of hand while the tour is in town and itís windy, dry and sunny green speeds at the average tour stop arenít any different than ďpeak seasonĒ any longer. They arenít taken to the brink of death except for US Opens, Players and maybe one or two others any longer.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#122 Obee

Obee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72306
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 4742

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:30 PM

View Postgolfandfishing, on 11 January 2019 - 03:34 PM, said:

View Postjustwellsy, on 11 January 2019 - 03:18 PM, said:

I think the biggest factor here is green speed. Most scratch amateurs have never played a round with the green speeds at "tour event" level. If the scratch amateur was allowed to consistently play with those green speeds and get used to them, I think the gap would close. But if we are talking about a normal match at a tour level green speed course, then it may be close to 15 strokes difference. Now if we're talking about playing a course with greens that run about a 9 on the stimp, I'd give the edge to the scratch as far as it being less than a 15 stroke difference. Pros struggle pretty good when they suddenly switch to slower green speeds if they are not given time to adjust

This used to be the case, but for the last 10 years or so Tour green speeds arenít rare in the club golf realm. Iím excluding extreme set ups at Augusta and US Open, but run of the mill tour events arenít faster than you see in a state am or open in most cases. It isnít rare to see TPC Scottsdale at Tour speeds, same for Pebble, Riviera, John Deere, River Highlands, etc.  Unless the weather gets out of hand while the tour is in town and itís windy, dry and sunny green speeds at the average tour stop arenít any different than ďpeak seasonĒ any longer. They arenít taken to the brink of death except for US Opens, Players and maybe one or two others any longer.

Yep^^^^^

Completely depends where you play, though, of course.
PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors