Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

Are you kidding me!! How come few instructors talk about this!!!!

221 replies to this topic

#211 Krt22

Krt22

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261822
GolfWRX Likes : 2528

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:13 PM

View PostGolfTurkey, on 11 October 2018 - 07:31 PM, said:

I just can't imagine what sort of unfortunate circumstances would lead someone to derive pleasure from trolling a golf instruction forum.

Golf is a life long sickness that impacts everyone differently, some suffer very odd side-effects

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#212 games

games

Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they are yours.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 248161
GolfWRX Likes : 698

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:58 AM

View Postebrasmus21, on 11 October 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

View Postbuckeyefl, on 11 October 2018 - 07:05 PM, said:

View Postwmblake2000, on 11 October 2018 - 03:28 PM, said:

View PostKrt22, on 11 October 2018 - 03:26 PM, said:

and block list updated!

Some people have a religious fanaticism about what works for them. Like those people who go door-to-door trying to help others see the light.

This definitely applies.

Users have been dropping like flies in this sub.  The RBMI guy, wildcat and, do I have this right, now Swingman?

Funny how they all have variants on the same thing:  "If one person improves as a result of my twisted, bizarre, IPA-fueled thoughts on the swing, it will be worth it..."
They who are enamoured of practice
without knowledge are like the mariner
going to sea without a rudder or compass
and who navigates without a course.

#213 Nard_S

Nard_S

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335269
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 2052

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:46 AM

So I worked with this a 3rd time and it was one of the best range sessions in a long time. Good strikes had lots of pop and poorer were better misses so on both counts good stuff.I've been obsessed with rhythm and transition moves and this got me off that cul de sac. Things are starting to take when wedges and Driver pokes do as they should with same approach.

A bit OT, but Phil M. quipped that to play golf you have to be really really smart or really dumb. That in-between, being too smart by a half is dangerous. I tend to agree but it is but better to walk in the woods then stay in the desert forever and this forum in general has done a lot for me to compile a framework and map to be a lot better at this game. Best golf I ever played, was dumb as a rock about what I was doing right or wrong but I would rather suffer cruel times than walk around blissfully ignorant with a low ceiling potential over my head forever. So I'm thankful for this particular aspect of WRX.

#214 Krt22

Krt22

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261822
GolfWRX Likes : 2528

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:13 AM

https://www.instagra...g_web_copy_link

#215 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33930
GolfWRX Likes : 3051

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:23 PM

View PostNard_S, on 12 October 2018 - 07:46 AM, said:

So I worked with this a 3rd time and it was one of the best range sessions in a long time. Good strikes had lots of pop and poorer were better misses so on both counts good stuff.I've been obsessed with rhythm and transition moves and this got me off that cul de sac. Things are starting to take when wedges and Driver pokes do as they should with same approach.

A bit OT, but Phil M. quipped that to play golf you have to be really really smart or really dumb. That in-between, being too smart by a half is dangerous. I tend to agree but it is but better to walk in the woods then stay in the desert forever and this forum in general has done a lot for me to compile a framework and map to be a lot better at this game. Best golf I ever played, was dumb as a rock about what I was doing right or wrong but I would rather suffer cruel times than walk around blissfully ignorant with a low ceiling potential over my head forever. So I'm thankful for this particular aspect of WRX.

The one thing that a good teacher does is diagnose core issues so your effort has a sensible direction. I totally agree with the value of what we learn here - but I think it really helps to get some emphasis on what’s most important to work on. At least I know I’m awful at self l-diagnosis, although as my grasp of the core things I believe in get more solid, it helps me make sense of the input better. I think!

Callaway Epic 10.5 TPT LKP 45.5"
Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
Callway xhot 3h, 4h
Callaway Apex MB Pro Raw, KBS Tour V
Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54
Cameron Futura 5W

#216 Nard_S

Nard_S

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335269
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 2052

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:06 PM

View Postwmblake2000, on 12 October 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

View PostNard_S, on 12 October 2018 - 07:46 AM, said:

The one thing that a good teacher does is diagnose core issues so your effort has a sensible direction. I totally agree with the value of what we learn here - but I think it really helps to get some emphasis on what’s most important to work on. At least I know I’m awful at self l-diagnosis, although as my grasp of the core things I believe in get more solid, it helps me make sense of the input better. I think!

Yeah, agree. I purposely avoided teaching pro for the reason I want to now a lot more (about my faults and what's desirable) before he sends me off. I'm now at that point when one would tell me something and I can buy in & get the background reason for it. Next money I'm spending with this game is lessons, be it remote video or a well respected local pro, which I know of only one.

#217 me05501

me05501

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499624
  • Ebay ID:mike_in_chattanooga
GolfWRX Likes : 265

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:39 AM

I hit a small bucket of 8 irons yesterday trying to feel Monte’s “zipper away” drill. It’s an interesting feel and one that I obviously haven’t been getting in my swing up til now, which likely means I need the drill  

Doing full practice swings with the zipper away drill, it feels like I’m creating a lot of new space for the club to pass “under” me on a strong inside-to-square path. Does not feel like OTT at all.

I hit the first 15 balls off the toe. I was on a crowded range and was trying not to sh@nk one into the guy beside me. But the toe balls were still flying high and drawing. Hmm. I finally got closer to the ball. Out of the next fifteen shots I caught a couple completely flush. Oh! Hey there! Smoked them. Nice high tight draw down the target line, 10% farther than usual

I got cocky and hit a few balls each with a 4 utility and three wood. Those were disastrous. Too soon.

Liking this drill.

#218 me05501

me05501

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:01 AM

I went out for a very casual nine holes with my nine-year old son yesterday. I had nothing to lose, so I tried to implement the zipper away drill feel on every swing.

This is obviously something I've been needing, because it obviously works right away. I hit some really nice shots that felt effortless. In fact, the slower I felt like I was swinging, the better I hit the ball. As a lifelong OTT swing with the arms player, a lower-body powered swing feels effortless to me because I'm just letting my arms happen.

I hit some balls that started and stayed out to the right, so I'm not quite getting the face closed, but the contact and flight are good so I'm hoping that's as simple as implementing the "motorcycle" move. My pro already had me working on that one anyway.

#219 Redjeep83

Redjeep83

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115910
GolfWRX Likes : 830

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:56 AM

View Postme05501, on 15 October 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:

I went out for a very casual nine holes with my nine-year old son yesterday. I had nothing to lose, so I tried to implement the zipper away drill feel on every swing.

This is obviously something I've been needing, because it obviously works right away. I hit some really nice shots that felt effortless. In fact, the slower I felt like I was swinging, the better I hit the ball. As a lifelong OTT swing with the arms player, a lower-body powered swing feels effortless to me because I'm just letting my arms happen.

I hit some balls that started and stayed out to the right, so I'm not quite getting the face closed, but the contact and flight are good so I'm hoping that's as simple as implementing the "motorcycle" move. My pro already had me working on that one anyway.

View Postme05501, on 13 October 2018 - 10:39 AM, said:

I hit a small bucket of 8 irons yesterday trying to feel Monte's "zipper away" drill. It's an interesting feel and one that I obviously haven't been getting in my swing up til now, which likely means I need the drill  

Doing full practice swings with the zipper away drill, it feels like I'm creating a lot of new space for the club to pass "under" me on a strong inside-to-square path. Does not feel like OTT at all.

I hit the first 15 balls off the toe. I was on a crowded range and was trying not to sh@nk one into the guy beside me. But the toe balls were still flying high and drawing. Hmm. I finally got closer to the ball. Out of the next fifteen shots I caught a couple completely flush. Oh! Hey there! Smoked them. Nice high tight draw down the target line, 10% farther than usual

I got cocky and hit a few balls each with a 4 utility and three wood. Those were disastrous. Too soon.

Liking this drill.

You aren't going to feel over the top with a zipper away drill, it is a good fix for over the top issue. You are keeping your body closed longer to swing from the inside, this is a common fix. Leff shoulder down is a bit of a different dynamic than zipper away drill

#220 me05501

me05501

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:47 AM

View PostRedjeep83, on 15 October 2018 - 08:56 AM, said:

View Postme05501, on 15 October 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:

View Postme05501, on 13 October 2018 - 10:39 AM, said:

I hit a small bucket of 8 irons yesterday trying to feel Monte's "zipper away" drill. It's an interesting feel and one that I obviously haven't been getting in my swing up til now, which likely means I need the drill  

Doing full practice swings with the zipper away drill, it feels like I'm creating a lot of new space for the club to pass "under" me on a strong inside-to-square path. Does not feel like OTT at all.

Liking this drill.

You aren't going to feel over the top with a zipper away drill, it is a good fix for over the top issue. You are keeping your body closed longer to swing from the inside, this is a common fix. Leff shoulder down is a bit of a different dynamic than zipper away drill

Got it. I only connected the two after reading through this thread. IIRC Monte recommended the zipper away drill several pages back as a way of feeling (proving?) that the left shoulder definitely separates from the chin and is moving down initially. I may be confusing something from the other thread that is linked on page 2 of this thread.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#221 Go_Time

Go_Time

_

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108988
  • Handicap:Many
GolfWRX Likes : 521

Posted Yesterday, 05:32 PM

Still having trouble coming OTT or across it a bit when working on this, some pulls, pull draws, and pull slice/fades. Anyone working through similar?

Edited by Go_Time, Yesterday, 06:51 PM.

#222 Lefthook

Lefthook

Golf nerd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101445
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 436

Posted 47 minutes ago

It could be a mental flaw that leads to a mechanical flaw. A steering impulse.

Have you tried to delay the release until, like never? To keep the clubhead as wide open and as far behind the hands for as long as possible, and turn recklessly through the ball (and not caring if the ball started towards the right field and turned right)?

7 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 5 guests, 1 anonymous users

sheldonjhacker

GolfWRX Sponsors