Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

New Srixon Soft Feel


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 368

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:02 AM

Anyone play the New Srixon Soft Feel? Thoughts? Does the yellow version look good? I was really liking the gamersoft. Looking for similar cost alternatives. Plus, a softer winter ball. I also liked the Bridgestone Extra Soft. But, that is not to be found retail anymore.

Edited by Tanner25, 05 October 2018 - 06:03 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 rnewm003

rnewm003

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62763
  • Joined: 08/09/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:11 AM

The Soft Feel is a great bargain ball, firmer than the DUO  and comparable to the Supersoft.

2

#3 xxio

xxio

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 541
  • Joined: 05/06/2005
  • Location:Cebu, Philippines
GolfWRX Likes : 436

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:33 AM

The latest one also seems to spin more on full shots than previous generations.

3

#4 JDax

JDax

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 453022
  • Joined: 01/26/2017
  • Location:Nashville, TN
  • Handicap:11.1
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:16 PM

The Srixon Yellow is the best yellow color ball on the market in my opinion. The Soft Feel is a great bargain ball.

4

#5 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 368

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:56 PM

Thanks, guys. Also, often these are available by the sleeve in golf pro shops. Nothing to lose at that price.


5

#6 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 412064
  • Joined: 02/13/2016
  • Location:New Orleans
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 06 October 2018 - 03:25 PM

I recently picked up some of the previous generation ones, and they are good in every facet. Even get a little spin.
And the srixon yellow is excellent.
I'd bet the prior gens are going for a song somewhere.
Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60, R, @10.25*
Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
Cleveland Smart Square Blade

6

#7 elwhippy

elwhippy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3536
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 994

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:10 AM

Best value ball on the market. Excellent performance with added durability.

7

#8 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 368

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:22 AM

Grabbed a sleeve for $6. Funny how we know more than the people in the golf business. I asked for a sleeve and the person handed me a prior gen ball. I said, it has to say new on it.

Just practiced with it. Nice feel putting in the house - a bit on the softer side. Took it outside as well. Nice feel on practice shots with a 6 iron.

Wanted yellow. But, the white was nice. I like the green lettering for the soft feel alignment aid and green number. Not bad for a white ball. Could this be the gamersoft replacement? Yes, I know, 2 piece vs 3 piece. But, it seems similar and a bit softer, which I like.

Edited by Tanner25, 07 October 2018 - 07:23 AM.


8

#9 bigmoneyp

bigmoneyp

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106403
  • Joined: 04/16/2010
  • Location:Midwest
GolfWRX Likes : 489

Posted 07 October 2018 - 12:32 PM

View PostTanner25, on 07 October 2018 - 07:22 AM, said:

Grabbed a sleeve for $6. Funny how we know more than the people in the golf business. I asked for a sleeve and the person handed me a prior gen ball. I said, it has to say new on it.

Just practiced with it. Nice feel putting in the house - a bit on the softer side. Took it outside as well. Nice feel on practice shots with a 6 iron.

Wanted yellow. But, the white was nice. I like the green lettering for the soft feel alignment aid and green number. Not bad for a white ball. Could this be the gamersoft replacement? Yes, I know, 2 piece vs 3 piece. But, it seems similar and a bit softer, which I like.

Do you know how far you were carrying the 6 iron compared to the Gamer Soft?

9

#10 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 368

Posted 07 October 2018 - 04:06 PM

View Postbigmoneyp, on 07 October 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

View PostTanner25, on 07 October 2018 - 07:22 AM, said:

Grabbed a sleeve for $6. Funny how we know more than the people in the golf business. I asked for a sleeve and the person handed me a prior gen ball. I said, it has to say new on it.

Just practiced with it. Nice feel putting in the house - a bit on the softer side. Took it outside as well. Nice feel on practice shots with a 6 iron.

Wanted yellow. But, the white was nice. I like the green lettering for the soft feel alignment aid and green number. Not bad for a white ball. Could this be the gamersoft replacement? Yes, I know, 2 piece vs 3 piece. But, it seems similar and a bit softer, which I like.

Do you know how far you were carrying the 6 iron compared to the Gamer Soft?

I haven't measured them. I suspect they would be comparable. Today, at DSG I noticed they had Q star tour 6 packs for 10 each - dozen for 20. Same price as the Soft Feel. Just when I find a ball I like, there's another one right behind it to tempt you :-)

Edited by Tanner25, 07 October 2018 - 04:07 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Pcola Ken

Pcola Ken

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458582
  • Joined: 03/13/2017
  • Location:Somewhere On The Gulf
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:22 PM

Like elwhippy said, it is the best value ball on the market.  Srixon is slaying it right now.

11

#12 munichop

munichop

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 358993
  • Joined: 01/22/2015
  • Location:az
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:42 PM

I played the new soft feel in yellow ( PGA SS did not have white yet) this weekend at elevation (5000 ft.) I played it 27 holes. First 9 on Friday in perfect conditions followed by the back nine with the gamer soft, my regular ball since Jan '15.  Then on Saturday played it all 18 in windy (15 mph gusting to 20 mph) and low to mid 60's on the same course- even the same pins.  Greens were soft both days.  This is my 11th ball auditon to replace the GS.   Up to now the Volvik DS55 was the leader.  Now it is the Soft Feel (SF).

Driver-  On a good day I have about 100 mph with the driver.   My last event with the GS in Mesa AZ at about 1200 ft. I averaged about 255-260 on full tee shots.  At 5000 ft in Prescott It can range up to 300 yds if I get a lot of roll- usually it is about 270 total. I found the SF to be as long or a little longer than the GS at elevation (I have not played it at lower elevation yet).  It is shapeable in a very similar manner to the GS side to side or low to high for me.  

Irons-  I would say the SF is up to a half club longer then the GS at elevation.  I think the SF spins a little less on mid irons that is why it flies a nudge longer.  Trajectory is similar on full shots but a little flatter on 3/4 swings.   The most significant difference was out of the rough though.  With the GS I can spin it a little from the rough.  The SF will not.  It will always produce a flier similar for me to the Wilson Duo.

Wedges and short game- Full wedges behaved very similar for me and spin is also similar from the fairway cut.  When I warm up chipping I have a stock chip that is 14 yards ( from reading a Dave Pelz article on the short game) .  I always warm up with my SW for these.  From a short cut of grass the SF seems a bit more muted of the face than the GS but the launch and spin/rollout are very similar.  From thicker lies the ball requires more force to carry it a similar distance as the GS.  On early pitch on the course I left these type shots short with the sw.  For bump and runs I use my 52 deg wedge.  Again the SF is a little more muted but rollouts are very similar to the  GS.   To be honest I had few of these on the course so this was a practice area feedback.

Putting-  The GS for me has always felt in between the low compression balls and the urethane ones.  For me the SF is a little more muted off the face but similar rollout.  It putts very close to the Duo Soft Spin for me; one of the 10 other audition balls.  I have over 50 putters so I figure I will have one that will match it.  

The SF was very stable in the wind. I hit 11 fairways in the wind and 15 GIR on Saturday.   Only made one bogey in the wind with it which is pretty remarkable since I didn't know how far each club would go. It felt the best of the clubface on full swings but not poor on any of them.   I putted poorly with both balls but speed control was good- no 3 putts.

On a side note this ball was way longer into the wind than the provx my friend was playing (15-20 yards).  No real difference down wind.  We have similar swing speeds with the driver.

12

#13 gvogel

gvogel

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Joined: 08/19/2007
  • Location:Western NY
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 2077

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:16 AM

Sounds like I should pick up a dozen for the rest of the fall.
On Sundays, I used to play hickory

13

#14 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
  • Joined: 03/21/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 494

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:31 AM

Based on how much I've been enjoying the other Srixon models I've been wanting to try a dozen of these out. For me, both the Z Star and Q Star Tour are butter. Fantastic balls. Not surprised to hear the Soft Feel is a good ball for the bracket. I'm a 14 so I don't need to be a cork sniffer when it comes to golf balls...
Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
20-year old Mizuno 5 Wood
Balls: Z Star and Snell MTB Black

14

#15 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 368

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:28 PM

View Postmunichop, on 07 October 2018 - 09:42 PM, said:

I played the new soft feel in yellow ( PGA SS did not have white yet) this weekend at elevation (5000 ft.) I played it 27 holes. First 9 on Friday in perfect conditions followed by the back nine with the gamer soft, my regular ball since Jan '15.  Then on Saturday played it all 18 in windy (15 mph gusting to 20 mph) and low to mid 60's on the same course- even the same pins.  Greens were soft both days.  This is my 11th ball auditon to replace the GS.   Up to now the Volvik DS55 was the leader.  Now it is the Soft Feel (SF).

Driver-  On a good day I have about 100 mph with the driver.   My last event with the GS in Mesa AZ at about 1200 ft. I averaged about 255-260 on full tee shots.  At 5000 ft in Prescott It can range up to 300 yds if I get a lot of roll- usually it is about 270 total. I found the SF to be as long or a little longer than the GS at elevation (I have not played it at lower elevation yet).  It is shapeable in a very similar manner to the GS side to side or low to high for me.  

Irons-  I would say the SF is up to a half club longer then the GS at elevation.  I think the SF spins a little less on mid irons that is why it flies a nudge longer.  Trajectory is similar on full shots but a little flatter on 3/4 swings.   The most significant difference was out of the rough though.  With the GS I can spin it a little from the rough.  The SF will not.  It will always produce a flier similar for me to the Wilson Duo.

Wedges and short game- Full wedges behaved very similar for me and spin is also similar from the fairway cut.  When I warm up chipping I have a stock chip that is 14 yards ( from reading a Dave Pelz article on the short game) .  I always warm up with my SW for these.  From a short cut of grass the SF seems a bit more muted of the face than the GS but the launch and spin/rollout are very similar.  From thicker lies the ball requires more force to carry it a similar distance as the GS.  On early pitch on the course I left these type shots short with the sw.  For bump and runs I use my 52 deg wedge.  Again the SF is a little more muted but rollouts are very similar to the  GS.   To be honest I had few of these on the course so this was a practice area feedback.

Putting-  The GS for me has always felt in between the low compression balls and the urethane ones.  For me the SF is a little more muted off the face but similar rollout.  It putts very close to the Duo Soft Spin for me; one of the 10 other audition balls.  I have over 50 putters so I figure I will have one that will match it.  

The SF was very stable in the wind. I hit 11 fairways in the wind and 15 GIR on Saturday.   Only made one bogey in the wind with it which is pretty remarkable since I didn't know how far each club would go. It felt the best of the clubface on full swings but not poor on any of them.   I putted poorly with both balls but speed control was good- no 3 putts.

On a side note this ball was way longer into the wind than the provx my friend was playing (15-20 yards).  No real difference down wind.  We have similar swing speeds with the driver.

Good write up, munichop. Come to think of it. The Duo Soft Spin would be a good comparison to the gamersoft. 3 piece and low/mid compression. I do like the Duo Soft Spin prior gen. But, I am not sure the new DSS would be worth the extra dollars compared to the SF.

Edit: I found a Vice Tour Ball recently and that also would be comparable to the Gamersoft. I was surprised that it had a nice feel to it.

Edited by Tanner25, 09 October 2018 - 04:49 PM.


15

#16 NJpatbee

NJpatbee

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266092
  • Joined: 07/24/2013
  • Location:Ocean County, NJ
  • Handicap:16.5
GolfWRX Likes : 448

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:20 PM

Are we talking about the Srixon 2018 Soft Feel 11?

16

#17 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 368

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:47 PM

View PostNJpatbee, on 09 October 2018 - 03:20 PM, said:

Are we talking about the Srixon 2018 Soft Feel 11?

Yes. The one that says new. Have you played it? I hope to use it on Saturday.

Edited by Tanner25, 09 October 2018 - 04:49 PM.


17

#18 spartanglfr

spartanglfr

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52836
  • Joined: 04/02/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:50 AM

Nice ball--I like it as much as the Titleist Tour Soft and the Srixon is much cheaper, esp. with the buy 4 doz. for the price of 3 which gets it down to $15/dozen.  More greenside spin that the typical 2 piece ball, and the Srixon yellow is possibly the most visible yellow for those who prefer. Could be the best ball in its category.

18

#19 NJpatbee

NJpatbee

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266092
  • Joined: 07/24/2013
  • Location:Ocean County, NJ
  • Handicap:16.5
GolfWRX Likes : 448

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:41 PM

View PostTanner25, on 09 October 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

View PostNJpatbee, on 09 October 2018 - 03:20 PM, said:

Are we talking about the Srixon 2018 Soft Feel 11?

Yes. The one that says new. Have you played it? I hope to use it on Saturday.

I have not found it available locally at stores like DSG but it is available on-line.  I have not tried it yet but I certainly will.  Let us know how you make out on Saturday.

19

#20 Pawtucket

Pawtucket

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 457642
  • Joined: 03/06/2017
  • Location:Vancouver BC
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:36 PM

I wonder what the new VICE TOUR is like. I read that they lowered the compression significantly (from 90s to 60s I believe). Haven't tried it.

whats in the bag?
Cobra f8+ cut 1"
Cobra F7 fairway
Srixon z355
Cleveland 48 wedge
Ping 54 wedge
Ping 58 ES wedge
TM Soto putter

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 368

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:21 PM

View PostNJpatbee, on 10 October 2018 - 12:41 PM, said:

View PostTanner25, on 09 October 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

View PostNJpatbee, on 09 October 2018 - 03:20 PM, said:

Are we talking about the Srixon 2018 Soft Feel 11?

Yes. The one that says new. Have you played it? I hope to use it on Saturday.

I have not found it available locally at stores like DSG but it is available on-line.  I have not tried it yet but I certainly will.  Let us know how you make out on Saturday.

Ok, yeah. DSG does not carry the soft feel by me either. I have seen it at Golf Galaxy and a local pro shop. I will let you know how it plays!

21

#22 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 368

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:24 PM

View Postspartanglfr, on 10 October 2018 - 10:50 AM, said:

Nice ball--I like it as much as the Titleist Tour Soft and the Srixon is much cheaper, esp. with the buy 4 doz. for the price of 3 which gets it down to $15/dozen.  More greenside spin that the typical 2 piece ball, and the Srixon yellow is possibly the most visible yellow for those who prefer. Could be the best ball in its category.

Thx for sharing spartanglfr. This is starting to sound really good. If the white sleeve plays nicely. I will stock up on yellow! Yeah, you can't beat the 4 doz for 3 and personalized too.

https://www.srixon.c...lor=tour-yellow

Have you compared the QST to the SF?

Edited by Tanner25, 10 October 2018 - 07:07 PM.


22

#23 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 368

Posted Yesterday, 07:58 AM

View PostNJpatbee, on 10 October 2018 - 12:41 PM, said:

View PostTanner25, on 09 October 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

View PostNJpatbee, on 09 October 2018 - 03:20 PM, said:

Are we talking about the Srixon 2018 Soft Feel 11?

Yes. The one that says new. Have you played it? I hope to use it on Saturday.

I have not found it available locally at stores like DSG but it is available on-line.  I have not tried it yet but I certainly will.  Let us know how you make out on Saturday.

Played them yesterday. I liked them a lot. These balls are correctly named - Soft Feel in all areas of the game! They felt lighter to me than I expected and temps were around 70 degrees. But, not like a mushy Supersoft. I see these as a great winter ball. They do run out on the greens. But, as a higher capper - sometimes the roll out helps and sometimes it hurts. I'd say they are a steal, if you go with the current buy 3 and get 1 free offer - otherwise $20 is a fair price. Played a white sleeve. I am sure I will like the yellow even better. As a slow swinging senior, I am thinking soft feel in the winter and qst as the summer ball. Sorry, DSG it could have been gamersoft and D2 Feel if you kept the GS in stock and or in the line up.

Edited by Tanner25, Yesterday, 08:06 AM.


23

#24 wkuo3

wkuo3

    RELEASE

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
  • Joined: 10/24/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 703

Posted Yesterday, 10:21 AM

The original Srixon soft feel was the first low compression golf ball that impressed me.
Not the other long and soft, not the lady's brand not all the others but this golf ball.
I had played it during the Winter months for many years and certainly love the low price comparing to all the other available at that time.  I think it was under $20 / doz.  
It's amazing that they could bring the price point even low today with the "new and improved " version.
This low compression golf ball did not balloon on my tee shot, did not feel like a marsh mellow off the putter.  It was not a super golf ball that will do everything but it was certainly a nice golf ball during the colder weather.  And it was more durable comparing to the others at the time.

24

#25 Big Ben

Big Ben

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,084 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
  • Joined: 04/21/2006
  • Location:Cleveland, Ohio
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 1395

Posted Yesterday, 10:28 AM

This will be my cold weather go to ball again this season. BB

Irons: Titleist 918cb's
Drivers: Ping G400
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's  
Putter: Toulon Indianapolis
Balls: 2017 B330s

25



2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors