Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Putter Monogamy - Anyone find their soulmate?

39 replies to this topic

#31 me05501

me05501

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499624
  • Ebay ID:mike_in_chattanooga
GolfWRX Likes : 331

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:34 AM

I started the season with three quite different putters.
  • Odyssey White Steel #1
  • SeeMore brass blade
  • PING Craz-E
I took a putting lesson, and the pro and I determined that the White Steel #1 was the easiest for me to set up square to my target line, and we proved that I can make a straight uphill ten footer with it.

That was enough for me. I got rid of the other putters and committed to my Odyssey. Now when I'm missing putts I know it's not the putter. I just need to practice more (don't we all).

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 roundersmitty

roundersmitty

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 321975
GolfWRX Likes : 644

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:09 AM

I have 3 that I take to the practice green once a month to battle for supremacy.  They all get their chance with lag putts, 8, 6, and 4 footers.  Last months winner was the Ping Craz-e-r.  The other 2 that performed close to as well is Bobby Grace F-18 and Rife Aussie mallet.  My Ping Oslo Vault and SeeMore Si4 have not been performing well and rarely compete against the other 3.
2017 M1 10.5* Kuro Kage 60s
Exotics 16.5* Exotics Fuji 72s
Adams XTD ti 20* Red Tie S
TM P770 4-P Steelfiber i95s
TM MG 50*,56*,60* Steelfiber i95s
Odyssey EXO Seven S

#33 HiSpeed48

HiSpeed48

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196138
GolfWRX Likes : 566

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:34 AM

I was a putter tinkerer a few years ago, but I've been using the same John Byron Dalehead 2 for about 3 seasons now. I've messed around a little with the weight, length, and grip over the last year, but I think I've found the perfect setup now.
Titleist 910D2 9.5* Tour Issue
TEE XCG7 15*
Mizuno MP32 3-9
Vokey SM6 46* 50* 54* 58*
John Byron DaleHead 2

#34 sdrthedj

sdrthedj

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 393096
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:spelsh
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:36 AM

Played a Ping Anser 2i from the mid 90's until I bought a 2016 Cameron.  That's all I have had.

#35 Chadwickog

Chadwickog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 448808
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:48 AM

I was a monogamist for a long long time until I discovered this site when I started playing on a much more regular basis again..  Recently however I have picked up a beat up old Kirk Currie bronze putter and if early returns are any indication it will be sticking around for a long long time..

#36 payerasjl

payerasjl

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 444444
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:20 AM

I had a original white hox rx 2 ball by odyssey that i used since 2004. Just last year i made the switch to a toulon malet (portland) looking for a "harder" feel (the insert vs milled debate etc). After an iffy start, i am finally draining plenty of putts with the new one. The 2 ball sits at home and will likely never be sold and probably make guest appearances every once in a while.
CLO-MIA-DCA-BOG
Get scratch or die trying

#37 Oldboy

Oldboy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30613
GolfWRX Likes : 557

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:42 AM

PING JAS Anser

#38 Pwood28

Pwood28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 338855
GolfWRX Likes : 125

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:47 AM

I have collected and rotated putters for about 3 years now.  If you're looking to sink a substantial sum of money into a putter with the hope that it will be "the one", I would urge caution.  I have been fit for putters and then searched for, custom ordered and/or altered putters to match these specs.  While they have all been very good putters, there was nothing so amazing that I could keep up the long term commitment.  The superficial aspects wear off, so (for me at least) it's the ongoing performance that matters most.  Specs (head style, neck type, weight, length, lie, loft, etc.) are certainly among the important factors, but when you're talking about your forever flat stick, imo, finish, shaft, feel (even if feel ain't real) and balance (which I can't explain at all) are part of the comfort factor.  

I currently own putters from Scotty, Byron, Lamb, Lajosi, Mannkrafted, Ping, etc, but I recently picked up a Bettinardi BB0 with a flow neck and my world has changed.  I bought the putter purely based on the fact that it looked cool and would be a nice add to the collection (got it for less than 50% of what it would have cost brand new) and it just so happened to feel pretty good when I was playing around with it in the backyard.  I decided to throw it in the bag for a casual twilight round and it has been on fire ever since.  I'm not a brand loyalist and have a huge appreciation for all of the makers I've listed and others.  My forever putter could easily have come from any of the brands, but by random chance, it happened to be Bettinardi.

To throw it in the relationship analogy...Betti and I have only been together for a couple of months, but the sex is unreal.  I have dated putters that are better looking, worth more money and been scientifically matched for me, but there has never been a connection like this one!  While I could still date around if I wanted to, Betti is so good to me, I've lost the desire to screw around with other putters.  My advice would be to date around.  Surf the the dating scene (used putter market) and see what all is out there.  If you're not getting the commitment vibe from one, let it go (sell it) and start seeing someone else.  As cheesy as it sounds, part of the fun of going monogamous is the journey you took to get there.
WITB (Some combination of)

TM M4 Driver - 10.5 degree - GD BB 75g
TM M2 3HL Wood - GD GT 85g
TM M4 Hybrid - 18 degree - GD AD Hybrid 95g
Mizuno MP18 FliHi 3i - KBS C Taper Lite
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4i-7i - C Taper Lite
Mizuno MP18 SC 8i-p - C Taper Lite
TM Milled Grind 52 degree - KBS Tour 120
TM Milled Grind Hi Toe 58 degree - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Putter (Way too many to list!)

IG:  Filmoregolf

#39 gripandrip

gripandrip

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121337
GolfWRX Likes : 288

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:12 PM

Got a favorite.... but not entirely married to it. Khomb-S. When it misbehaves, I switch to a Newport. When things go really in the toilet, I'll break out to old Rossie.

But always back to the Khombi-S within 2 weeks.

#40 GimmieHendrix

GimmieHendrix

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 513894
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:05 PM

View Postroundersmitty, on 11 October 2018 - 10:09 AM, said:

I have 3 that I take to the practice green once a month to battle for supremacy.  They all get their chance with lag putts, 8, 6, and 4 footers.  Last months winner was the Ping Craz-e-r.  The other 2 that performed close to as well is Bobby Grace F-18 and Rife Aussie mallet.  My Ping Oslo Vault and SeeMore Si4 have not been performing well and rarely compete against the other 3.

I have a little gadget called Delta Putt, it's on Google, best little thing ever for shooting out putters. Dave is a clever guy, the build and design on this little puck is super slick.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors