That's right, SCPGA doesn't allow parents at the events at all, do they? You guys in California are too serious about your golf. Must've had too many parents brawling in the parking lot after tournaments.
It's about 70% of the courses that allow parents to spectate on the golf course. Only talking with the child should be about whether or not they need food / drink or if they are hurt. At the other 30% where they don't allow spectators, the CRAZY parents try watching from outside the fences while the normal parents enjoy a beer. Pace of play is faster without parent caddies and amazingly, the kids actually talk about things that are important to them among themselves.
*Spectating means you stay 25 yards or more away at all times and on the cart path. No walking with your child.
That is how it is here, but 50 yards away from the kids. How some parents spectate bugs me. You should always try to walk ahead of the group.
How to Properly Observe a Group (Where you should stand & walk)
- Follow your players from a distance (at least 25 yards). Stay ahead of the group and in the rough or on the cart paths. Do not lag behind the participants as this often delays the group behind.
- The FSGA encourages spectators to stay ahead of players to help spot golf balls.
- You should NOT be in the fairway.
- Stay to the side of the action and remain still and quiet while all players play.
- Move forward to the putting green when all shots have been completed.
- Putting Green - Spectators must never be on the putting surface and should observe the putting green from a reasonable distance that will not interfere with the players
- Looking for Balls - Please help spot balls for all players. Spectators are encouraged to watch each player's shot closely and may assist searching for a lost ball during the five-minute search period.
Could be different in other organization, but spectators are not allowed to go ahead of the group per US Kids policy. Otherwise I would have the whole family spread out 200 yards in the front to keep an eye out for my sons ball.
Spectator Policy: If spectator carts are permitted, the above Cart Policy must be followed. Cell phones, headphones, pagers, and the like may not be used during play. All walking spectators should stay on or near the cart path at all times. Spectators are not allowed on the greens or in the fairway. Please stay behind the group being followed and do not go ahead to spot shots in advance of play. First offense: warning, Second offense: removal from the golf course.
US Kids does some odd things and this is one of them.