Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

fitting my tweener


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Baitkiller

Baitkiller

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359765
  • Joined: 01/27/2015
  • Location:SW Fl.
  • Handicap:Yes
GolfWRX Likes : 1100

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:13 AM

My daughter is now 13 and playing competitive golf again after a 1 year layoff. Of course she is a lefty which screws me out of her playing her big brothers old custom AP-1s I had made when he was a tweener. So here we are. She is only 5' 1" tall, lightly built like the dancer she is but strong. She has always played boys clubs because the only girls lefty stuff out there is crap. Current set is the Cobra junior set. At practice last week she tried the clubs new 2018 Taylormade ladies rental set.(Marriott course- Nice sticks). She smoked the driver, hits the lower irons really well but struggled bad with the hybrids and fairways. This tells me I'm going to have stuff tweaked so much I may as well have it built from the ground-up.
Am I wrong?
Today her coaches (directors of golf JW Marriott Rookery and Hammock Bay) will take a look and give me their thoughts. My builder Shane said that whatever they come up with he can either build or order from an OEM but re working a box set isn't worth it.
I'm not sure what I'm asking you other than just thinking out loud. My son was always easy, 1" off and 2* up through whatever I found and off he went. Kind of new ground for me here.
Thank you for your shared experiences and thoughts. Attached File  Kaitlin rose.jpg   83.94K   1 downloads

Turn over damnit!
Krank 9*  Formula 5 UST Tour
Adams 15* wasabi
XXIO pro 5
Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
Betti-1
K-sig

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 372

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:03 AM

She is 13 so this set she may use for a while I would go out and buy OEM irons that fit. You should be able to build them on a OEM website and order from anyone. If she has coach I would start there and see if he has a demo for her in their kit. If not I am sure they can find someone who has a lefty head they can use.

If you need to save money look for a good used set or buy new irons and get woods and drivers used. Best bet to find stuff online Since she is a lefty You probaly want to stick with PING, Callaway or Mizuno and I think Wilson as they usually have the latest stuff for lefty’s.  Other brands may not have everything in left handed clubs.

Edited by tiger1873, 03 October 2018 - 11:10 AM.


2

#3 leezer99

leezer99

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1026

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:42 AM

View Posttiger1873, on 03 October 2018 - 11:03 AM, said:

She is 13 so this set she may use for a while I would go out and buy OEM irons that fit. You should be able to build them on a OEM website and order from anyone. If she has coach I would start there and see if he has a demo for her in their kit. If not I am sure they can find someone who has a lefty head they can use.

If you need to save money look for a good used set or buy new irons and get woods and drivers used. Best bet to find stuff online Since she is a lefty You probaly want to stick with PING, Callaway or Mizuno and I think Wilson as they usually have the latest stuff for lefty's.  Other brands may not have everything in left handed clubs.

You can customize everything (length, loft, lie, shafts, etc.) on the TM site if you get her specs dialed in even lefty stuff.

3

#4 kekoa

kekoa

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,940 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1919

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:45 AM

I agree with the fitter.  Best option would be to order components if possible and build from there.  He can tweak loft/lie and work the swing weight etc...  It will cost a pretty penny, but at 13 she is ready especially if she wants to get serious about the sport and begin competing again.  Just make sure she tries every combo of head and shaft he has before you order.

4

#5 kekoa

kekoa

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,940 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1919

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:48 AM

View Postleezer99, on 03 October 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

View Posttiger1873, on 03 October 2018 - 11:03 AM, said:

She is 13 so this set she may use for a while I would go out and buy OEM irons that fit. You should be able to build them on a OEM website and order from anyone. If she has coach I would start there and see if he has a demo for her in their kit. If not I am sure they can find someone who has a lefty head they can use.

If you need to save money look for a good used set or buy new irons and get woods and drivers used. Best bet to find stuff online Since she is a lefty You probaly want to stick with PING, Callaway or Mizuno and I think Wilson as they usually have the latest stuff for lefty's.  Other brands may not have everything in left handed clubs.

You can customize everything (length, loft, lie, shafts, etc.) on the TM site if you get her specs dialed in even lefty stuff.

This is true, but only limitation I see is if she needs clubs to be a lot shorter than stock.  I believe they can extend or cut down by 2" only.   They are also somewhat limited in shaft offerings that would fit a junior, but at 13 I would assume she can use one of their lady shafts.


5

#6 Baitkiller

Baitkiller

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359765
  • Joined: 01/27/2015
  • Location:SW Fl.
  • Handicap:Yes
GolfWRX Likes : 1100

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:01 PM

She can move ladies or A flex no problem. The issues will be length, static weight compounded by swing weights. That's why I'm leaning towards having it all built. It suck not being able to do a real fitting. It will be a best educated guess no matter what where or by whom.
Turn over damnit!
Krank 9*  Formula 5 UST Tour
Adams 15* wasabi
XXIO pro 5
Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
Betti-1
K-sig

6

#7 leezer99

leezer99

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1026

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:04 PM

View PostBaitkiller, on 03 October 2018 - 12:01 PM, said:

She can move ladies or A flex no problem. The issues will be length, static weight compounded by swing weights. That's why I'm leaning towards having it all built. It suck not being able to do a real fitting. It will be a best educated guess no matter what where or by whom.

Cool Clubs does a half off junior fitting for kids under 16.

7

#8 Cwebb

Cwebb

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21353
  • Joined: 11/04/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 1802

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:11 PM

View PostBaitkiller, on 03 October 2018 - 12:01 PM, said:

She can move ladies or A flex no problem. The issues will be length, static weight compounded by swing weights. That's why I'm leaning towards having it all built. It suck not being able to do a real fitting. It will be a best educated guess no matter what where or by whom.

I would buy a good set from the past at a lower price...and let your builder go to work on them

8

#9 Baitkiller

Baitkiller

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359765
  • Joined: 01/27/2015
  • Location:SW Fl.
  • Handicap:Yes
GolfWRX Likes : 1100

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:12 PM

never heard of cool clubs.
Turn over damnit!
Krank 9*  Formula 5 UST Tour
Adams 15* wasabi
XXIO pro 5
Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
Betti-1
K-sig

9

#10 kekoa

kekoa

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,940 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1919

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:16 PM

View PostBaitkiller, on 03 October 2018 - 12:01 PM, said:

She can move ladies or A flex no problem. The issues will be length, static weight compounded by swing weights. That's why I'm leaning towards having it all built. It suck not being able to do a real fitting. It will be a best educated guess no matter what where or by whom.

Sorry if I missed it, but why can't she do a real deal fitting?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Baitkiller

Baitkiller

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359765
  • Joined: 01/27/2015
  • Location:SW Fl.
  • Handicap:Yes
GolfWRX Likes : 1100

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:58 PM

I was mistaken about that. I was under the impression that shorter shafts and weighted heads were not available in the usual carts. That impression was wrong. That's why they cal is assuming I guess. So now armed with that new info things got a lot less complicated.
Thank you.
Turn over damnit!
Krank 9*  Formula 5 UST Tour
Adams 15* wasabi
XXIO pro 5
Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
Betti-1
K-sig

11

#12 leezer99

leezer99

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1026

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:30 PM

View PostBaitkiller, on 03 October 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

I was mistaken about that. I was under the impression that shorter shafts and weighted heads were not available in the usual carts. That impression was wrong. That's why they cal is assuming I guess. So now armed with that new info things got a lot less complicated.
Thank you.
First time in GolfWRX junior forum history that a problem was solved.

12

#13 kekoa

kekoa

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,940 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1919

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:35 PM

View Postleezer99, on 03 October 2018 - 01:30 PM, said:

View PostBaitkiller, on 03 October 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

I was mistaken about that. I was under the impression that shorter shafts and weighted heads were not available in the usual carts. That impression was wrong. That's why they cal is assuming I guess. So now armed with that new info things got a lot less complicated.
Thank you.
First time in GolfWRX junior forum history that a problem was solved.

Yah that's because HH didn't chime in. :busted_cop:

13

#14 Baitkiller

Baitkiller

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359765
  • Joined: 01/27/2015
  • Location:SW Fl.
  • Handicap:Yes
GolfWRX Likes : 1100

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:58 PM

He will be along later to beat on me. I'm counting on it. :telephone:
Turn over damnit!
Krank 9*  Formula 5 UST Tour
Adams 15* wasabi
XXIO pro 5
Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
Betti-1
K-sig

14

#15 leezer99

leezer99

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1026

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:23 PM

Posted here on GolfWRX today:



15



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors