Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Putter grip to feel weight of the head

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 juliette91

juliette91

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34467
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:36 PM

I putt better when I can feel the weight of the head swinging like a pendulum.  Trouble is I have to hold it so lightly that the grip itself pendulums inside my hands.  When I squeeze the grip hard enough so the grip doesn't move within my hands (that pendulum move) then I cannot feel the head.  Tried putting pressure only with my thumbs so the grip won't move within my hands but that exerted pressure also takes my feel away.  Any help out there?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 baudi

baudi

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27886
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:13 AM

You could try a thin grip and a counterbalance weight. There are hardly measures for what condition works right.
The optimal condition is also influenced / supported by the length of the shaft and the putter head weight.
My putter has a aluminum bar of 120 grams and plus minus 15 inches that is glued in the shaft.
From my pov the longer the counterweight the more stable the pendulum. Hope this helps.

#3 Saltire

Saltire

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217075
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:52 AM

I found that practicing putting with my right hand only allowed me to develop a good feel and release of the putter head, I was actually surprised how good I was at putting with one hand!

Edited by Saltire, 03 October 2018 - 01:53 AM.

#4 juliette91

juliette91

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:16 PM

baudi, on 03 October 2018 - 12:13 AM, said:

You could try a thin grip and a counterbalance weight. There are hardly measures for what condition works right.
The optimal condition is also influenced / supported by the length of the shaft and the putter head weight.
My putter has a aluminum bar of 120 grams and plus minus 15 inches that is glued in the shaft.
From my pov the longer the counterweight the more stable the pendulum. Hope this helps.

Oh boy you lost me, canít picture the counterweight like where it is positioned? What it is? Can easily picture a thinner grip but pretend youíre talking to an 8 year old. thanks

#5 baudi

baudi

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27886
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:38 AM

your problem is that your pendulum stroke makes the handle move in your right?
To slow/quiet down this action a weight (25gr-200gr)  placed under the handle could work for you.

I do not know your size, strength and stroke and I have no idea what kind of putter you use.
So estimating how heavy this heavy could be is to be found out by yourself.
Any good clubfitter should be able to help. You can buy kits, grips.
Another option is to make use of a heavier shaft.

Google Steven Boccieri and you find one early of the protagonists for counterbalancing golf equipment

#6 juliette91

juliette91

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:40 AM

baudi, on 05 October 2018 - 05:38 AM, said:

your problem is that your pendulum stroke makes the handle move in your right?
To slow/quiet down this action a weight (25gr-200gr)  placed under the handle could work for you.

I do not know your size, strength and stroke and I have no idea what kind of putter you use.
So estimating how heavy this heavy could be is to be found out by yourself.
Any good clubfitter should be able to help. You can buy kits, grips.
Another option is to make use of a heavier shaft.

Google Steven Boccieri and you find one early of the protagonists for counterbalancing golf equipment

Yes, my problem is that the handle moves during my attempt at a shoulder pendulum swing.
Thanks so much for this good information!  Sounds like a heavier handle might work.

How does a heavier handle help the side to side moving of the handle during my stroke?  Wouldn't it be better to have a much wider grip?
Actually, can't understand how either one of those helps reduce this handle movement I've got but I'll read that Steven Boccieri information and see if it sheds any light on this.

Again, thank you for replying and helping out.

#7 dave willie

dave willie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116011
GolfWRX Likes : 192

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:30 PM

Counterbalancing seems to take away some of the feel of the club head for me.  I think one answer to the OP's problem of the handle moving in his hands would be to use a larger grip.  I use a Super Stroke Mid-Slim, which was the lightest weight larger grip that I could find, right around 50 grams.  It doesn't affect the balance of the club, since the weight is nearly the same as the original small grip, and it gives more control over the grip without having to grip it tightly.
Titleist 917 D3 10.5 Diamana Ltd Blue 70-S
Cobra Bio Cell 3/4 wood PXv 6.0
Cleveland Hi-Bore 19 hybrid
Ping i20 4-PW Nippon Modus3 120-S
Cleveland 588 50*, Callaway X-Tour 56*, Vokey SM5 60*
Cameron Mil-Spec

#8 juliette91

juliette91

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:12 PM

dave willie, on 05 October 2018 - 12:30 PM, said:

Counterbalancing seems to take away some of the feel of the club head for me.  I think one answer to the OP's problem of the handle moving in his hands would be to use a larger grip.  I use a Super Stroke Mid-Slim, which was the lightest weight larger grip that I could find, right around 50 grams.  It doesn't affect the balance of the club, since the weight is nearly the same as the original small grip, and it gives more control over the grip without having to grip it tightly.

Thanks dave willie.  I'd been avoiding the larger grip thinking it would reduce feel for the club head as it added weight on top.  But your post implies I'm wrong about that.  So I'll follow up on your suggestion.  Appreciate you taking the time to post about it!

#9 mneumann

mneumann

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94024
  • Handicap:4
  • Ebay ID:ninerzfan8
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:03 AM

You could try a cork grip like the salty. I have an oversize the same size as my old super stroke but it's extremely light and makes the head feel heavy.

Unfortunately an expensive experiment.

Edited by mneumann, 11 October 2018 - 12:03 AM.

#10 juliette91

juliette91

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:27 AM

mneumann, on 11 October 2018 - 12:03 AM, said:

You could try a cork grip like the salty. I have an oversize the same size as my old super stroke but it's extremely light and makes the head feel heavy.

Unfortunately an expensive experiment.

That sounds perfect!  Unfortunately right now they're sold out of all grips...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors