Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Golf's new villain

Patrick Reed Jack Nicklaus

66 replies to this topic

#31 augustgolf

augustgolf

Golf with dignity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438244
  • Ebay ID:augustgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 3973

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:58 AM

View PostDave230, on 02 October 2018 - 09:45 AM, said:

Tiger Woods should have been the villain but he's like a villain in a TV show that everybody followed from the start and end up rooting for.

Like Tony Soprano?

Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
or is it 1514...
I don't remember exactly

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 tiderider

tiderider

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320763
  • Handicap:5ish
GolfWRX Likes : 927

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:12 PM

View PostFKA HB, on 02 October 2018 - 10:17 AM, said:

I would like Reed to keep winning.  I don't know him personally, don't know anyone who knows him, and don't know any of the people on tour who don't like him.  But I do get a kick out of other people (in my exact situation) who actually get upset about things that do not affect them.  As a history lesson, prior to social media, people didn't actually get emotionally hurt about any of this.

so people who post an opinion are "emotionally hurt" about the topic they're discussing? ...

#33 Vindog

Vindog

Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 7268

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:19 PM

View Posttiderider, on 02 October 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

View PostFKA HB, on 02 October 2018 - 10:17 AM, said:

I would like Reed to keep winning.  I don't know him personally, don't know anyone who knows him, and don't know any of the people on tour who don't like him.  But I do get a kick out of other people (in my exact situation) who actually get upset about things that do not affect them.  As a history lesson, prior to social media, people didn't actually get emotionally hurt about any of this.

so people who post an opinion are "emotionally hurt" about the topic they're discussing? ...

People who post an opinion are posting an opinion.  If they are actually getting upset over people that they never met then they can check "yes."  If otherwise, they can check "no".  Given the latter it seems the answer to your question is no.
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#34 Terry Gold

Terry Gold

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 293923
GolfWRX Likes : 334

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:41 PM

Ugh.

Villains/heels/feuds. Walk-up music. Trash talk interviews.  A surplus of drunk, verbally abusive ignoramuses in the (peanut) galleries.

Vince McMahon would be proud.

#35 Titleist 670

Titleist 670

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192258
GolfWRX Likes : 2210

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:47 PM

View PostTerry Gold, on 02 October 2018 - 09:41 PM, said:

Ugh.

Villains/heels/feuds. Walk-up music. Trash talk interviews.  A surplus of drunk, verbally abusive ignoramuses in the (peanut) galleries.

Hey, it sells.  Patrick Cantlay vs. Ryan Moore isn't putting butts in the seats on a Sunday afternoon.

Reed vs. Spieth in a loser leaves town match, where JT turns on his buddy Spieth and declares he's pairing with Reed at the 2020 Ryder Cup?????  Ratings!

#36 buckeyefl

buckeyefl

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 259982
GolfWRX Likes : 3067

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:26 PM

Ugh.

The tour could use a good Peoples Elbow.

#37 Darth Putter

Darth Putter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466932
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 4205

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:30 PM

View Postbuckeyefl, on 02 October 2018 - 10:26 PM, said:

Ugh.

The tour could use a good Peoples Elbow.

message to Reed

Posted Image
swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

#38 Vardon Grip

Vardon Grip

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75258
GolfWRX Likes : 374

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:41 PM

We skipped over Fall and landed squarely in Winter mode posts. Can't wait till late February when we start the Masters' posts.

#39 IVM

IVM

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401922
GolfWRX Likes : 226

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:02 PM

Patrick Reed has been a strange character since he hit the tour . There is no doubt that he is a good golfer but he is not a top 5 in the world golfer which he announced when he won at Doral . Keeping himself to himself and his wife and brother in law come caddie is probably best because he is incapable of socializing with others . The rumors of the breakup with his family and how unpopular he was at college shows his true colors . Golf is an individual game but to be a successful  professional you have to be able to market yourself as well , with Patrick Reeds attitude sponsors will not go near him unless he is winning majors every year . With the way he talks about his fellow professionals he will not have many friends on tour and I suspect he does not care about that .

Edited by IVM, 02 October 2018 - 11:04 PM.

#40 Jordan Speeth

Jordan Speeth

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,092 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401370
GolfWRX Likes : 989

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:08 PM

View PostEvent^Horizon, on 02 October 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

View Postputtfordoux, on 02 October 2018 - 03:07 AM, said:

Golf Digest just ran a piece on Patrick Reed, and how the sport desperately needs him because they need an antagonist, a villain. According to the author of the article it has been a long time since golf's last true villain, Jack Nicklaus. He was the prime challenger to Arnold Palmer's throne, and was met with derision. But Nicklaus made the point that although he had issues with Arnie's Army, he never had issues with Arnie, and they became good friends.

The difference in the case of Reed, is that he has come out and taken issue with his 'nemesis', Jordan Spieth. The article makes the argument that Reed has the pedigree, unlike other modern-day 'villians' such as Ian Poulter and Rory Sabbatini. But unlike Nicklaus, it seems, at least for now, he will never become buddy-buddy with Spieth.

In the 2018 version of the PGA Tour where friendship seems to be the norm, do we really need a villain like Patrick Reed as the article suggests? Or can't we all just get along?

Media hyperbole probably makes him more of a villain than he actually is. Regarding his RC comments, after reading the click-bait headline I expected something really nasty coming from Reed, but when I read what he actually said, it wasn't THAT bad. If people think it was, perhaps they are too sensitive.

Actually, it's probably the other way around.....I think he's worse than his public reputation.  If he wasn't, it would really be unreasonable for him to be so disliked by his peers.  These guys virtually live together in a big traveling circus.  They spend more time together than most families do.  They don't tend to be the type that goes around looking to make any more drama than what already exists, with the exception of one guy....Patrick Reed.  He is a rare character.

Cobra F8+ Driver 9.5*- XCaliber Superlite 45 S
Callaway XR Pro 16* FW- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
Ping G 22* Hybrid- Altus S
Bridgestone Tour B X-CB 5-PW- 125g DG S300
Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 52*/10, 56*/12- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 60/9- XCaliber RT Spin Graphite
Seemore si5 Black 38"- Feeltec 15" CB Grip
Golf Pride MCC Grips (+1 wrap)
Bridgestone Tour B330
MG Elite Glove
'18 Ping Hoofer, Eliott Alistair Leather Bag

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 youdamantiger

youdamantiger

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151439
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 579

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:10 PM

Golf Digest just ran a piece on Patrick Reed, and how the sport desperately needs him because they need an antagonist, a villain. According to the author of the article it has been a long time since golf's last true villain, Jack Nicklaus. He was the prime challenger to Arnold Palmer's throne, and was met with derision. But Nicklaus made the point that although he had issues with Arnie's Army, he never had issues with Arnie, and they became good friends.

The difference in the case of Reed, is that he has come out and taken issue with his 'nemesis', Jordan Spieth. The article makes the argument that Reed has the pedigree, unlike other modern-day 'villians' such as Ian Poulter and Rory Sabbatini. But unlike Nicklaus, it seems, at least for now, he will never become buddy-buddy with Spieth.

In the 2018 version of the PGA Tour where friendship seems to be the norm, do we really need a villain like Patrick Reed as the article suggests? Or can't we all just get along?

If you define "villain" as someone people can root against golf already has plenty. Some people hate Phil. Some people hate Tiger. Some people hate Jordan. Some people hate Sergio. Everyone hates Poulter (just kidding...mostly). And I wouldn't say Reed has a pedigree just because he's won one major. He's going to have to win a lot more than six events. Right now he's little more than a douchey afterthought to most golf fans.

#42 ctmason_98

ctmason_98

TOTALLY outta the bag...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251340
  • Handicap:BIG
  • Ebay ID:ctmason
GolfWRX Likes : 1162

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:15 PM

With people like Reed you always have to wonder if he’s the type of pariah that one day the documentaries reflect on him as misunderstood, his own man, a rebel, but in his golden years time has healed the old wounds and he is revered for his greatness.

And then the other side is the Thoughts I had as I was walking with my family after lunch at the Mandalay Bay shops. And there was Pete Rose, pen in hand and pictures stacked up next to him at a table in a sports memorabilia store.

There was no one in line.

#43 aliikane

aliikane

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113801
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 320

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:17 PM

The whole buddy-buddy image of the top players seems to be crumbling. DJ and Koepka fighting, new report of anonymous Ryder Cup member saying Reed is full of it and was begging to play with Tiger. There is more drama than a soap opera. Haha.

#44 youdamantiger

youdamantiger

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151439
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 579

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:18 PM

View Postsmeech8000, on 02 October 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

It's disgusting how GD feels the need to spin Reed's infantile behavior.  Let's not conflate "villain" with "***hole".

Nicklaus was subjected to significantly worse conditions - ranging from heckling to trampled lies in the rough - thanks to the "loyalty" of Arnie's Army and still rose above.  Reed's issues are entirely self-inflicted, yet it's always someone else's fault.  Guess what buddy, if you tend to have problems with everybody, maybe you're the problem!

I would love to be the next PC/RC captain - even if he makes the team on points I would bench his *** the entire week until his mandatory singles match.  Also, thanks for volunteering to put yourself in the envelope Patrick!

To paraphrase the movie Rounders: If you can't spot the jackass in your first thirty minutes in the Ryder Cup team room, then you are the jackass.

#45 r0scoe

r0scoe

Hardcore Hacker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471572
  • Handicap:19
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:30 AM

From the moment I first saw him when i turned on the masters this year, my instant reaction was "I don't like that guy"

#46 Fairwindsgolfer

Fairwindsgolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459000
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 196

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:58 AM

View Postsmeech8000, on 02 October 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

It's disgusting how GD feels the need to spin Reed's infantile behavior.  Let's not conflate "villain" with "***hole".

Nicklaus was subjected to significantly worse conditions - ranging from heckling to trampled lies in the rough - thanks to the "loyalty" of Arnie's Army and still rose above.  Reed's issues are entirely self-inflicted, yet it's always someone else's fault.  Guess what buddy, if you tend to have problems with everybody, maybe you're the problem!

I would love to be the next PC/RC captain - even if he makes the team on points I would bench his *** the entire week until his mandatory singles match.  Also, thanks for volunteering to put yourself in the envelope Patrick!
Fantastic Point regarding Reed's issues as being self-inflicted.
From what I understand, Jack was never anything less than a gentleman and posed a formidable challenge to Arnie who, obviously had a strong contingent of fans prior to Jack coming up to the scene

#47 mosesgolf

mosesgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6303
GolfWRX Likes : 1893

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:15 PM

Patrick Reed pretty much guaranteed that he won't ever be a Captain's pick.  1.  Most won't want to play with him 2.  He threw a cool good all around nice guy Jim Furyk under the bus
Titleist 917D3 9.5 Fujikura Tour Spec 74 Stiff
Titleist 917F2 15* Project X 75 Stiff
Titleist 910H 19* Project X 6.0
Titleist 910H 23  Project X 6.0
Titleist 714MB DGS300 4-9
Titleist Vokey 48 54 60
Titleist Scotty Futura 34

#48 Vindog

Vindog

Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer!

• Advanced Members
  • 17,171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 7268

Posted 03 October 2018 - 08:55 PM

View Postctmason_98, on 02 October 2018 - 11:15 PM, said:

With people like Reed you always have to wonder if he's the type of pariah that one day the documentaries reflect on him as misunderstood, his own man, a rebel, but in his golden years time has healed the old wounds and he is revered for his greatness.

And then the other side is the Thoughts I had as I was walking with my family after lunch at the Mandalay Bay shops. And there was Pete Rose, pen in hand and pictures stacked up next to him at a table in a sports memorabilia store.

There was no one in line.

True story.  Last October we were in Vegas right around a friends's 50th birthday.  We bumped in to Pete Rose and Birthday boy got a pic with him.  Rose says, "Oh 50th Birthday, cool.  Congratulations"  and as he was walking away said "Now you're almost dead."

That was pretty cold, dog.
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#49 lowheel

lowheel

LOWHEEL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193008
GolfWRX Likes : 5461

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:04 PM

Ugh.

Posted Image

#50 tyorke1

tyorke1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33236
  • Handicap:+1.4
GolfWRX Likes : 483

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:41 PM

I am lucky as a captain of a high level team I can leave the dumb dumbs off , pgatour can not. Some key rules I tell players , never say you carried someone, you sound like a jackAAA. Its okay to tell people that so and so carried me but never try and make yourself look good at other's expense , Captain puts the team out and you don't question it after you loose, play as hard as you can and get on with it. everyone is happy when they win but loose and you can see who are real team players. Pretty sure even if Tiger were to tell Reed he is the type that will ever get it, we all know the type that just can't fit in , sorry for them but reality. Because he's a good golfer does not mean you have to like him. When Furyk put Thomas and Speith together Reed should have shown 100% support , he had the opportunity of a life time to be paired with Tiger. THE US is looking for reasons they got beat , reality is they got beat simple as that , Furyk put  players out against the Euro players and the Euro's won. In the future I am not sure if Dechambeau  will ever be a team player and Phil is Phil , he should not have been picked over xander . I am a Tiger guy and I would not take him as a pick, he simple does not play well in this . jmt

m3 9.5 v2 proforce  ,
callaway rogue sub zero 10.5 rogue 60x ,
m2 3 wd, 15 degree rogue  125 msi 60 tour x ,
816 h1 hybrid 19 degree ,speeder tour spec
taylor p790 17 degree
callaway  apex pro 6.5 pro x
vokey 52--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj versionr
epic green staff bag or titleist cart bag

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 new2g0lf

new2g0lf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114437
GolfWRX Likes : 2084

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:50 PM

The media tries to find controversial angles to stories, even if it isn't factual.  Reed is being painted as an antihero, which will only encourage him to act out more as he has in the past.
Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
Woods - XXIO 10 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB

#52 IVM

IVM

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401922
GolfWRX Likes : 226

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:55 PM

Reed does not need any help to act like an idiot .

#53 bucky316

bucky316

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3514
GolfWRX Likes : 273

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:31 AM

any most hated list that doesn't begin with Poulter is simply wrong

#54 Hankshank

Hankshank

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314115
GolfWRX Likes : 735

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:09 AM

Every player nowadays are kind of PC since they are microphoned all the time and each and every patch on the armour gets all over social media immediately. Even Reed is tuned down a little. And Bubba.
Back in the days youj had guys on the EU tour like Colin Montgomerie and Howard Clark that behave lika *hoies towards patrons and everyone. I guess it was the same in the US. But that wasnt going viral so they could keep doing that year in and year out.

Edited by Hankshank, 09 October 2018 - 08:09 AM.

#55 hardcaliber

hardcaliber

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108001
GolfWRX Likes : 329

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:37 AM

Some people go through live and no matter what group of people they are in, everyone instinctually dislikes them.  Starts in grade school and goes forward from there.  Often times, these people are bullied relentlessly, other times completely ignored.  Sometimes they deserve it, sometimes they don't

Reed is one of those guys.  Just also happens to be really good at golf.

#56 Swisstrader98

Swisstrader98

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170802
GolfWRX Likes : 1162

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:59 AM

View PostDRRicks, on 02 October 2018 - 05:50 AM, said:

View Postbabyfade, on 02 October 2018 - 05:35 AM, said:

what's the reason that all the players hate him? i mean he is cocky in interviews, but thats not enough to make him such an a******. there are other cocky players that have their friends...

The list is long...he stole from teammates in college, has been accused of cheating, has a terrible personality, an annoying wife, and he’s a “blamer”. All of that adds up to people not liking you.

You just described half of my buddies:)

#57 WidespreadPanic

WidespreadPanic

Wizard in the Corner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,796 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425856
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 2583

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:33 AM

Villain like Jack? Come on. Reed is delusional, and it’s incredible. I hope he keeps giving out more quotes.
Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
Cobra F7 15.5*
Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
Mizuno MPH5 4i
Mizuno MP33 5-PW
Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
Taylormade TPx

#58 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 544

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:47 AM

I've seen some real garbage articles written about Reed. The writers seem to have a h**d on for him. Probably would be better to ignore him than publish blather. The dude can play. Pro athletes aren't role models. Move along...
Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
20-year old Mizuno 5 Wood
Srixon Z Star XV & Snell MTB Black

#59 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 12,629 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 7024

Posted 09 October 2018 - 10:57 AM

Jack was never a true villain, In fact Jack was nothing but a gentleman and respectful to his peers.  People, mostly Arnies's Army at Oakmont, rooted against him when he was a rookie and won the US Open vs. the person who was the anointed champion before the event ever took place. Quite frankly the only real villains were Pennsylvania golf fans who should have been ashamed and embarrassed by their crude behavior. Imagine Tiger being taken down by an upstart pudgy rookie at the US Open at Pebble in 2000, that is what was "villainous" .  There are only two things I find similar with Jack and PR.
1.  They play golf for a living
2.  They were/are both a bit pudgy.

Edited by dlygrisse, 09 October 2018 - 10:57 AM.

Callaway GBB
Callaway V Series 3w, HW
Callaway Steelhead 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Jones Utility
Ball, KSig or a bunch of ProV's I won in a charity scramble.  
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

#60 Pent08

Pent08

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335339
GolfWRX Likes : 290

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:40 PM

Some people are just unlikable. With Reed, what seems like manufactured controversy is just Reed being Reed. He probably doesn't know any better, and doesn't seem to care either.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors