Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

SLDR Mini D.......thoroughly impressed

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Shipwreck

Shipwreck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125845
GolfWRX Likes : 1513

Posted 01 October 2018 - 10:54 AM

I posted a topic about what people thought about a set up I was considering, a 16* Mini D w/ an Oban Devotion to replace my current 3w since itís a club I never really hit off the deck. Most people seem to have more of a ďhateĒ relationship with the minis and saw it more of a fad than a useful club and I can understand that, as itís not very versatile to the majority of people.

Well I took the plunge, had my club guy put it together, cut it to 43.5Ē and slapped a grip on it. I didnít get a chance to go to the range during the week, prior to my round on Sunday, so it was either gonna work or it would be terrible and a waste of time. I was able to hit a few balls right before tee off and I must say that the club met and exceeded all of my expectations.

One member said something about the MOI etc wasnít as high as the 3w of today and i wouldnít be getting anything that I wasnít already getting from my current 3w set up (Epic SZ). One thing I did notice right off the bat was the height I was able to get. Iím normally a low-mid launch player on all of my clubs, so my 3w would be no exception. Yes this translated into a good amount of roll which is great. But holy crap. This thing launched like you see the pros launch a 3w. And they werenít ballooning balls either. They went high and kept going.

One of the flags was 255 out towards the end of the range and I was carrying it there, with range balls. Now donít get me wrong, this wasnít a ďfire and forgetĒ kind of club, I still had to put a good swing on it, but it truly felt like I was further and more consistent than with my current 3w.

Iíve got some time between now and my next tournament so Iím going to put it through the ringer and make sure itís something i want to commit to, but as of now itís definitelt a winner in my book. But like I said, I can completely understand why a lot of people disliked it.

Driver - TaylorMade SLDR 430 TP w/ Project X LZ Handcrafted 6.5
3 Wood - Callaway Epic SZ 3+ w/ Oban Kyoshi HB X
Hybrid - Ben Hogan VKTR 19* w/ IROD stiff
Irons - 4-PW Ben Hogan FT WORTH BLACK w/ Recoil ES780 F4
Wedges - Ben Hogan TK15 50/54/59 w/ Recoil Protoype 125 F4
Putter - Odyssey O-Works #7
Ball - Taylormade TP5/TP5x

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,561 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
GolfWRX Likes : 23088

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:03 AM

If you mess around with the tee height, I think you can get a nice low stinger if it's called for.

Yeah, mini drivers didn't quite pan out as driver replacements, but for folks who don't hit a 3W off the deck, they're certainly worth considering as a driver companion.

#3 me05501

me05501

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499624
  • Ebay ID:mike_in_chattanooga
GolfWRX Likes : 261

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:16 AM

Argonne69, on 01 October 2018 - 11:03 AM, said:

If you mess around with the tee height, I think you can get a nice low stinger if it's called for.

Yeah, mini drivers didn't quite pan out as driver replacements, but for folks who don't hit a 3W off the deck, they're certainly worth considering as a driver companion.

That's how I'm using mine. I get a straight, boring flight out of it and it's a fairway finder.

I would say my AVERAGE MiniDriver and my average real driver shots will roll out within 10-12 yards of each other. I find the sweet spot of the MiniDriver more frequently and the shaft is a great fit for me. It's a great short hole club and a life saver on days when I can't seem to handle my driver.

I haven't tried to hit it off the deck, but I am pretty short anyway and I'm rarely approaching par fives in two or that sort of thing.

#4 idriveahonda

idriveahonda

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105851
  • Handicap:bleh
  • Ebay ID:washbula757
GolfWRX Likes : 292

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:54 AM

I'm one of the folks who cannot hit a 3-wood, be it off a tee or off the deck.  However, driver is the best club in my bag.  Can hit driver off the deck as well...must just be a brain thing.

I have a 16* Mini as well (not currently in bag, but been contemplating putting it back), and I agree it launches STRAIGHT up in the air from the deck.

Will be adding it to the bag for the tournament this weekend...supposed to be wet.
Nike Vapor Flex 440 w/ Fubuki ZT 50X @ 44"
TM UDI 20* w/ RIP Tour 90
Fourteen TC910 4-PW
Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind
Mack Daddy 58/10 PM Grind
Zen ZA1

#5 ewe8523

ewe8523

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446418
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:25 AM

I canít hit a 3W off the deck so I carry a mini driver instead to hit off the tee. I love it. I can hit it almost as far as my driver but more accurately.

For a while I was successful teeing it up at driver height and hitting it like that which produced an excellent ball flight. Recently though I havenít been able to replicate that and have had to tee it lower to prevent pop ups.

#6 me05501

me05501

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:43 PM

ewe8523, on 11 October 2018 - 08:25 AM, said:

I can't hit a 3W off the deck so I carry a mini driver instead to hit off the tee. I love it. I can hit it almost as far as my driver but more accurately.

For a while I was successful teeing it up at driver height and hitting it like that which produced an excellent ball flight. Recently though I haven't been able to replicate that and have had to tee it lower to prevent pop ups.

I usually push the tee in until my knuckles hit the ground, so the ball is sitting off the turf by the thickness of my pointer/third fingers. Lower than that works too.

#7 DoglegRight

DoglegRight

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21253
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:53 PM

I'm a 3 wood off the tee only kind of player. Mainly because I love my f7 5 wood off the deck. So, this summer I stumbled across a Callaway Mini 1.5 *14. In it went and out came the f7 3 wood. So far, it's been a great experience. In fact I just picked up an Aeroburner Mini Driver TP to compare to the Mini 1.5. Regardless of which one wins out, I don't see myself going back to a standard 3 wood until I find a good deal on a CBX.

#8 baudi

baudi

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27886
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:53 AM

The mini driver was one of the best revivals of the old 2W. It filled the gap the manufacturers had created themselves.
I cannot think of any bad review about the mini driver.  I own a 14degree Aeroburner which is money.
Why don't the OEMs produce and sell at least two versions of their play clubs  A a 430+ model and a lofted smaller model?

#9 me05501

me05501

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:45 AM

baudi, on 12 October 2018 - 06:53 AM, said:

The mini driver was one of the best revivals of the old 2W. It filled the gap the manufacturers had created themselves.
I cannot think of any bad review about the mini driver.  I own a 14degree Aeroburner which is money.
Why don't the OEMs produce and sell at least two versions of their play clubs  A a 430+ model and a lofted smaller model?

Right? Seems like they're always keen to find a way to sell another $200-300 club. Maybe fairway woods and hybrids are more profitable. Maybe the MiniDrivers were cannibalizing sales from the much more expensive drivers.

I always have to remind myself that the club industry does not exist to make me play better. It exists to convince me to buy clubs.

#10 baudi

baudi

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27886
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:00 AM

The thought crossed my mind too. At least one company could act tenacious and start up project Mjølnir to prove the dull OEMs are wrong.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors