Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * - - - 4 votes

Golf is Not a Team Sport

135 replies to this topic

#121 rangersgoalie

rangersgoalie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 290733
GolfWRX Likes : 3067

Posted 03 October 2018 - 03:19 PM

View PostFIRs&GIRs&3-Putts, on 30 September 2018 - 11:06 AM, said:

“We don’t win so it doesn’t matter”

In fairness, when we won all the time, it didn’t matter.

When Europe was added, it became a competition.

Now it’s a fundraiser for the European Tour and PGA of America

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#122 puttfordoux

puttfordoux

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494520
GolfWRX Likes : 216

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:18 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=e9mf3Bypyk8

#123 Bingo1976

Bingo1976

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194780
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1482

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:39 PM

View Postimakaveli, on 02 October 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

View PostDave230, on 01 October 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

View PostMarkAJones, on 01 October 2018 - 10:26 AM, said:

I don't know who (or what a) Shipnuck is.

Alan Shipnuck is an American writer, who wrote this

https://www.golf.com...r-shifting-fast

Seriously though, how good is this intro, "the cohesive leadership of the Task Force era" how did he come up with this c**p :D

The Ryder Cup is dead — you just don’t know it yet.

One of the greatest events in sport is on the verge of irrelevancy. The young, talented, hungry golfers from the United States, benefiting from the cohesive leadership of the Task Force era, are going to roll to victory in 2018 in Paris. This will be the first American win on European soil in a quarter century and, coming on the heels of an overpowering U.S. win in ’16, will set the stage for a decade-plus of blowouts, sapping the intrigue out of the Ryder Cup. It’s going to get so lopsided that you can expect future Ryder Cups to have all the dramatic tension of…gasp!…the Presidents Cup...
...“Jon Rahm, 23, will undoubtedly be a handful, but it’s asking a lot for a rookie to be a savior. This applies to Tyrell Hatton, 26, Tommy Fleetwood, 26, and Alex Noren, 35, as well.
...you have a rock-star core for the next decade or more — not to mention the fact that these guys will be augmented by wily vets (Phil! Kuch! Zach! Bubba! Sneds! Duf!) and some spicy young comers (Daniel Berger, Kevin Kisner).

My schadenfreude overrunneth
Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR
TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, Matrix Ozik R
Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S
Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S
Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200
Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS HiRev
Odyssey O-Works Black 34"

#124 mcs4

mcs4

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430806
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 303

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:21 AM

I played on the golf team in high school for a couple of years. It felt like a team sport to me.

For comparison, I also played on more traditional football, basketball, and baseball teams at various times.
Cobra King F7 (Kuro Kage Silver TiNi DC 60)
Cobra AMP 4w (Comp CZ)
Mizuno MP-H4 3 iron (Aldila Tour Green 85)
Mizuno MP-H4 4 iron (Steelfiber 95)
Mizuno MP-25 5-PW (Steelfiber 110)
Ping i-Wedge, 50 deg. (Recoil 110)
Nike Engage 56 deg. (Recoil 95)
Nike Engage 59 deg. (Recoil 95)
Scotty Cameron Big Sur Platinum (38") or my old Bullseye (35")

#125 surfnbrett

surfnbrett

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 292281
  • Handicap:+3
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 08 October 2018 - 12:08 PM

Couldn't be more wrong. Currently play on a D1 college team and if you saw the way we travelled, practiced, played, and planned how we attack our round and change our gameplay for the good of our team (ie. trying new lines off tees in the event, giving reads/plan changes to coaches to pass on, rooting on your teammates). At regionals last year, our number 5 guy played poorly for the beginning of his third round and began testing out new lines mid round/giving reads on almost every putt to our coach to pass on to the rest of our team, and we ultimately played a very solid round. Thats the fun of playing for your university and traveling the country. If you are playing your college career and not playing for the team, stop wasting everyones time and play as an indy because so much more goes into it that just playing "your game".

#126 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,705 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 18863

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:16 PM

US need a new coach

Somebody who really knows how to emphasize teamwork

Posted Image

#127 Chris122

Chris122

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 409580
GolfWRX Likes : 815

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:55 PM

View PostLagavulin62, on 01 October 2018 - 09:54 PM, said:

View Postnaval2006, on 01 October 2018 - 06:33 PM, said:

View Postthird-times-a-charm, on 01 October 2018 - 01:14 PM, said:

I think team golf is stupid and I dont understand the scoring at all. I have no idea what "3 UP" means when all year long I'm hearing scores like "MINUS 5" or "5 UNDER".

I watched every single PGA event since January, and I put the Ryder Cup out of mind this year without issue.

Then you must be new to golf if you can't follow a match.

By the way, match play was the original and main competition format until the Open started as a medal competition. And match play was how golf was played among professional golfers, very often fourball matches. And older pros would say they'd earn more many on a weekday match than winning a tour event. Guys like Palmer, Floyd, Trevino or Snead developed their competitive instinct through match play.

Match play is the ultimate thrill in golf, you play a match for your division at the Club Championship and you feel the same pressure as a guy closing to win the Open.

And you must be a golf snob? Not every golf fan was raised at the club and grew up playing matches with daddy and gramp's buddies. They learns to play in a park and the city courses. So hard as it is for you to understand they really don't unterstand this RC Match Play business. And on tv they really don't undersrand one up etc. How do teams score a point and what is this half point stuff? Oh what about who played and won these matches previous days? Try finding answers to those questions in real time on the internet.

This is not an argument.  This is how it is and if they want this to even get close to mainstream casual fans they better get better at this. The networks suck.

It's nothing to do with being a golf snob,more about you being incapable of understanding the format and scoring of matchplay golf.
Rules of matchplay are explained in the 'Rules of Golf' published by the R&A and USGA.
Then find a book on the history of the Ryder Cup and all will be revealed.............maybe.....

#128 Zz24hours

Zz24hours

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207371
  • Handicap:10.1
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:19 AM

And you must be a golf snob? Not every golf fan was raised at the club and grew up playing matches with daddy and gramp's buddies. They learns to play in a park and the city courses. So hard as it is for you to understand they really don't unterstand this RC Match Play business. And on tv they really don't undersrand one up etc. How do teams score a point and what is this half point stuff? Oh what about who played and won these matches previous days? Try finding answers to those questions in real time on the internet.

This is not an argument.  This is how it is and if they want this to even get close to mainstream casual fans they better get better at this. The networks suck.

Seriously not being able to understand or explain the scoring?

Really not trying to be a ****** about it, but
Stroke play, all strokes count, full round ..
Match play, every hole can be won/lost or shared, holes can be given .. match ends when a players is more ahead than can be won and 1 point is awarded, no winner after 18 = match is halfed

For Ryder Cup, 28 matches are played, hence 14 points retains the cup, 14½ wins it

.. seems simple, how can that come across as being a golf snob

#129 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,036 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
GolfWRX Likes : 1859

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:27 AM

View PostNaptime, on 30 September 2018 - 06:07 AM, said:

Collecting individuals under a "team" name doesn't make it a team sport.

You seem to lack knowledge of the history and tradition of the game.

72-hole individual stroke play is but one facet of a wonderful game that transcends the "play for pay" society.

#130 Ignatius Reilly

Ignatius Reilly

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 454100
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 241

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:30 AM

My first sport growing up was hockey.  Very simple scoring:  Every goal is worth one point.

Then I started watching football.  I was surprised that a touchdown was worth 6 points, a convert 1 point (sometimes 2????!!!) and a "field goal" 3 points.  I thought it was different, but I didn't call people who played it and understood it snobs.

So golf started out straightforward, every stroke counts.  Then I learned about penalty drops, and provisionals.  Fine.

Then a friend turned me on to match play.  If you haven't played it, you should.  It's a great form of the game.  And once you play it a few times, the RC scoring becomes obvious.  And not snobby in the least.

Tennis anyone?  15-30-40-game.  Really?  Even more bizarre, a "snobby" friend would count it as 5-3-4-game.

Short version:  Don't blame others for things you haven't learned and don't understand.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#131 QEight

QEight

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,256 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129410
  • Handicap:11,1
GolfWRX Likes : 964

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:50 AM

View PostNaptime, on 02 October 2018 - 11:11 AM, said:

View PostTim Sherwood, on 02 October 2018 - 01:57 AM, said:

I refuse to believe there are people that play golf but don't understand matchplay scoring. Nice try.

I have to explain it to one of my buds every year...  And he's the reason we do it since he is the most erratic golfer in our vacation foursome.  So stroke play would be less fun.  Team play helps the lesser solo player compensate for his mishits and feel part of the action and have a chance at winning.

Match play and team play has nothing to do with each other. Unless you want to. You can play also stroke play as a team play. You can also play stroke play like Stableford where blow up holes do not (totally) ruin your score.
Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm
Vokey wedges
Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Tri-Ball SRT

#132 imakaveli

imakaveli

Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,825 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 5419

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:41 PM

MASHED POTATO

#133 Naptime

Naptime

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 504866
GolfWRX Likes : 424

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:54 PM

I am surprised this thread is still getting attention.

#134 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,036 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
GolfWRX Likes : 1859

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:32 AM

View Postnaval2006, on 01 October 2018 - 06:33 PM, said:

View Postthird-times-a-charm, on 01 October 2018 - 01:14 PM, said:

I think team golf is stupid and I dont understand the scoring at all. I have no idea what "3 UP" means when all year long I'm hearing scores like "MINUS 5" or "5 UNDER".

I watched every single PGA event since January, and I put the Ryder Cup out of mind this year without issue.

Then you must be new to golf if you can't follow a match.

By the way, match play was the original and main competition format until the Open started as a medal competition. And match play was how golf was played among professional golfers, very often fourball matches. And older pros would say they'd earn more many on a weekday match than winning a tour event. Guys like Palmer, Floyd, Trevino or Snead developed their competitive instinct through match play.

Match play is the ultimate thrill in golf, you play a match for your division at the Club Championship and you feel the same pressure as a guy closing to win the Open.

The difference is not Elitist, high society snobs vs. regular folk.
The difference is those who _play_ golf vs. those who watch golf on TV.

#135 smashdn

smashdn

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55877
GolfWRX Likes : 266

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:26 PM

Match Play was the way of the US golf world for decades after it first came over the ocean.  Televised stroke play tournament golf has lead us away from it.

Match Play does not equal team play but team play is better as match play.  

Rarely is foursomes played in the US.  Are you going to pay full rack rate for 18 holes and only hit half the shots?  Likely not.  Might see it for a special tournament at a private club.

#136 Naptime

Naptime

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 504866
GolfWRX Likes : 424

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:52 AM

Match play is like the baseball World Series. You win holes instead of games. Whoever wins the most holes (games) at the end is the winner.  You can close out the championship by being so far ahead that the rest of the holes/games are cancelled. The margin of victory doesn't matter on any hole or in any game.  So if the Sox win Game 1 by 11-0, and lose the next four games 0-1, 1-2, 1-3, and 0-1, they lose 1 game to 4.  they don't win 13-7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors