Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Fall/ Winter ball

44 replies to this topic

#31 RRH

RRH

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136851
GolfWRX Likes : 99

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:09 PM

Got some Yellow DT Trusofts for 14.99 a dozen at my local shop. Picked up two dozen for the winter. I'm liking the feel of them so far.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 aiyyer

aiyyer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95278
GolfWRX Likes : 263

Posted 27 October 2018 - 05:53 AM

There are some older Bridgestone versions on sale at Golf Discount - E6 etc.
My issue is that I have a tough time with the marshmallow feel off the driver and putter with the softer ball. To make a point I did try the TM Lethals vs the Wilson Duo U in 40 degrees weather and there is a significant difference in feel and distance at least for my swing.

#33 lologolf

lologolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4010
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 27 October 2018 - 07:00 AM

kirklands either version

#34 NFD

NFD

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52467
  • Handicap:8.3
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 27 October 2018 - 03:11 PM

I just go into my shag bag and play all the balls that aren't too scuffed up
Titliest 917 D2 10.5*
Titliest 917 F2 16.5*
Titliest 917 F2 21*
Mizuno MP-64 5-PW
Vokey SM6 Raw 52* F & Low Bounce 58* K
Cameron Buttonback

#35 Big Ben

Big Ben

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,274 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 1511

Posted 27 October 2018 - 03:36 PM

View PostNFD, on 27 October 2018 - 03:11 PM, said:

I just go into my shag bag and play all the balls that aren't too scuffed up
Itís been so lousy this fall I think thatís my plan this year too.

Irons: Titleist 918cb's
Drivers: Ping G400
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's  
Putter: Toulon Indianapolis
Balls: 2017 B330s

#36 Croddad

Croddad

What itís all about

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11898
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:19 PM

View Postaiyyer, on 07 October 2018 - 09:08 PM, said:

View Postpflyers85, on 02 October 2018 - 12:50 PM, said:

View Posttom.lockhart, on 02 October 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

This is an awesome thread. I have never really thought too much about how a ball can change as the temps change.

I live in Seattle, - so looking at 37-52 degrees or so. I have a 100 MPH SS, 8.3 HDCP and am a high loft/spin player, I currently game the MTB Black and love it.

What should I be looking for in a fall/winter ball?

IMO the whole fall/winter ball is more people looking for semi decent 2 piece/budget ball because they don't want to run the risk of losing their normal, more expensive gamers in leaves.  Some people claim the ball is more harsh feeling in the colder weather but to me if you rotate a ball every hole or so and keep the next in your pocket the temp isn't going to affect the ball that fast.
True. Another excuse to buy more balls! I do disagree though with your latter argument.
Hitting a Wilson Duo is much less penal on the joints than a Lethal in 30 degree silly season weather.

Just moved from Seattle to Portland, so still looking at the same weather basically. For years I’ve been switching balls for October through April, sometimes even May. Cost of losing in the leaves, or more often plugged in the middle of the fairway, was the first reason. Second reason is a V1 or X will spin WAY too much on wedge shots and spin off the green once they start getting wet/water logged.

Another bonus of switching to the non-urethane 2 piece ball is that they still feel soft when it’s colder, but the less spin on iron shots tend to go a similar distance in the colder/wetter air, so my yardages stay consistent.

Used to play the V1x during the summer, then switch to the DT Solo or NXT Tour. Problem is that both those balls aren’t made anymore. Leader in the clubhouse right now is the Velocity for spin/feel/priceand I want in a ball, but havne’t played it in the cold weather yet to see if it feels like a rock. Anyone have other suggestions or experience with it? Second year it’s been out.
Proud Walking Golfer
What's in my Ping Hoofer Monsoon bag:
Ping G400 LST 8.5* X Tour 65g
Titleist 917F3 15* X 82g Diamana Ďahina
Titleist 915h1 21* X Diamana S+ 75Hy
Ping iBlades red dot 4-PW ProjectX 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM7 M grind 54 & 59 1* flat ProjectX 6.0
Ping Vault 2.0 Stealth Piper 34.5Ē w/black Ping cord grip

#37 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

Smoking Makes You Look Cool!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,029 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17461
GolfWRX Likes : 4038

Posted 05 November 2018 - 07:34 AM

A few weeks ago while freezing my putter off,  I found a bright yellow Top Flight D2 feel. It was hiding under a leaf and was brand new.

I put it in play for the last four holes, shot 1 under and won a greenie and a skin!

Found out they were $10 for a 15 pack, so I bought 45 of them for the winter tour.

I've got 4 rounds in since then, and in cold crappy conditions, this ball rocks. I've only lost two of them in 72 holes, it's quite easy to give up looking for a 66 cent ball!

My ProV's, Kirklands and Srixons will be well rested come springtime.

#38 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,051 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
GolfWRX Likes : 401

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:11 AM

View PostHateto3Putt, on 05 November 2018 - 07:34 AM, said:

A few weeks ago while freezing my putter off,  I found a bright yellow Top Flight D2 feel. It was hiding under a leaf and was brand new.

I put it in play for the last four holes, shot 1 under and won a greenie and a skin!

Found out they were $10 for a 15 pack, so I bought 45 of them for the winter tour.

I've got 4 rounds in since then, and in cold crappy conditions, this ball rocks. I've only lost two of them in 72 holes, it's quite easy to give up looking for a 66 cent ball!

My ProV's, Kirklands and Srixons will be well rested come springtime.

+1 D2 Feels in yellow. They will go on sale for Black Friday as well.However, now I prefer Srixon Soft Feel in yellow for the coldest weather.

Edited by Tanner25, 05 November 2018 - 08:12 AM.

#39 plusfore

plusfore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 301931
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 05 November 2018 - 05:02 PM

When the weather gets cool/cold-ish  I will play any ball that I have found or has an obvious cart rash on it, therefore, it is expendable if it gets lost in the leaves or plugs in the soft turf.
Titleist TS2 Graphite Design Tour AD 60
Titleist 910F 15* Diamana Kai'li 75
Cobra Fly-Z 5W stock shaft
Titleist 913H 24* Diamana  Kai'li 82HY
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 5i-E  graphite #4 shafts
Titleist  SM6 54* and 58*
PING  Ally3 / Odyssey 1W putter
PRO V1x -  Wilson DUO
Sun Mountain C-130 bag

#40 GDTBATH

GDTBATH

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 441150
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:28 AM

Folks, never tried one of the really soft balls for winter before. Does the softness hurt distance? How about spin around the greens. Not an equipment guru here so any thoughts appreciated. I play the Snell Black and Chrome Soft a good bit.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 Kgglonghorn

Kgglonghorn

Rookie

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 506440
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:38 PM

just my $.02 but in my limited experience trying lower compression balls, they tend to spin too much.  I am specifically referring to the Bridgestone.  I normally play the Tour BX but tried the Tour BXS this past weekend thinking it would be a better cool weather choice.  It checked way more than I am used to with the Tour BX. Ended up leaving two bunker shots and a greenside chip much shorter than they would normally have rolled out.

#42 Fairwindsgolfer

Fairwindsgolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459000
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 196

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:19 PM

View PostCroddad, on 04 November 2018 - 09:19 PM, said:

View Postaiyyer, on 07 October 2018 - 09:08 PM, said:

View Postpflyers85, on 02 October 2018 - 12:50 PM, said:

View Posttom.lockhart, on 02 October 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

This is an awesome thread. I have never really thought too much about how a ball can change as the temps change.

I live in Seattle, - so looking at 37-52 degrees or so. I have a 100 MPH SS, 8.3 HDCP and am a high loft/spin player, I currently game the MTB Black and love it.

What should I be looking for in a fall/winter ball?

IMO the whole fall/winter ball is more people looking for semi decent 2 piece/budget ball because they don't want to run the risk of losing their normal, more expensive gamers in leaves.  Some people claim the ball is more harsh feeling in the colder weather but to me if you rotate a ball every hole or so and keep the next in your pocket the temp isn't going to affect the ball that fast.
True. Another excuse to buy more balls! I do disagree though with your latter argument.
Hitting a Wilson Duo is much less penal on the joints than a Lethal in 30 degree silly season weather.

Just moved from Seattle to Portland, so still looking at the same weather basically. For years Iíve been switching balls for October through April, sometimes even May. Cost of losing in the leaves, or more often plugged in the middle of the fairway, was the first reason. Second reason is a V1 or X will spin WAY too much on wedge shots and spin off the green once they start getting wet/water logged.

Another bonus of switching to the non-urethane 2 piece ball is that they still feel soft when itís colder, but the less spin on iron shots tend to go a similar distance in the colder/wetter air, so my yardages stay consistent.

Used to play the V1x during the summer, then switch to the DT Solo or NXT Tour. Problem is that both those balls arenít made anymore. Leader in the clubhouse right now is the Velocity for spin/feel/priceand I want in a ball, but havneít played it in the cold weather yet to see if it feels like a rock. Anyone have other suggestions or experience with it? Second year itís been out.
it's terribly ironic that you mention the velocity because I just put it in my bag for the first time last week.
I live in New England and the last two rounds that I played with the velocity have been in 45 degree or lower weather and it has performed very well. Yes, the cover does feel a little little hard but nothing too crazy. I normally play a Pro V but have no issues playing the velocity during the Silly Season. I will tell you that the ball jumps off a club face like a darn rocket as opposed to the Pro V so mind your distances.

#43 elwhippy

elwhippy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3536
GolfWRX Likes : 1180

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:18 AM

Mysteriously it is now warmer than it was a month ago so swapped the cheaper ammo for battle scarred premium ammo....used a found V1x for last three games.

#44 gvogel

gvogel

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,594 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 2126

Posted 13 November 2018 - 12:38 PM

View PostKgglonghorn, on 07 November 2018 - 09:38 PM, said:

just my $.02 but in my limited experience trying lower compression balls, they tend to spin too much.  I am specifically referring to the Bridgestone.  I normally play the Tour BX but tried the Tour BXS this past weekend thinking it would be a better cool weather choice.  It checked way more than I am used to with the Tour BX. Ended up leaving two bunker shots and a greenside chip much shorter than they would normally have rolled out.

The Tour BXS is a very spinney ball.  YOu would have done better with the Tour B RX.
On Sundays, I used to play hickory

#45 MattMo

MattMo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102846
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:Mattmorrissey
GolfWRX Likes : 375

Posted 17 November 2018 - 12:30 PM

Usually play whatever random balls I have in my bag for cold weather. Used a Chrome Soft in upper 40* temps yesterday. Loved the feel with great results, think I found my cold weather ball.

Ping G25 9.5* w/ Harrison Saga
Ping G25 4W w/ TFC
Ping G25 20* Hybrid w/ TFC
Ping ie1 4-U w/ CFS
Ping Glide 54* WS
Ping Glide Stealth 58* ES
SC Studo Select Newport, 35"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors